The Worlds Best of Best 16 core gaming CPU.

Plex or that type of streaming, is a different situation from game streaming. Game streaming is real time. Plex is not.

I get that real-time streaming is a goal, but I don't see it as a necessity. However, I'll admit to not being a consumer of gameplay streaming.

Plex can therefore buffer your stream several seconds and take the extra time to transcode the file, before it sends you the next bit. The "Slow" preset should be fine for Plex on my 7600k, becuase it can take 5 seconds to do it, before it sends it to me. With game streaming, there is no pre-existng file. You are recording the game as it is happening. there is no 5 second buffer time to transcode before the stream.

I use a 7600k too, but I also dropped in a 1050Ti 4GB card to help. Both are overkill for my uses for the moment, but the 1050Ti can obviously do more than transcode.

Even with plex, it still remains that CPU transcoding should have greater quality at lower bitrates. The image quality considerations do not change. I would say the big advantage with GPU encoding on Plex, is possibly lower power usage. Or, the server better able to handle multi-tasking, because the video streams are on qucksync. and other server work is free to use the main CPU cores. Also, GPU encoded streams on plex seem to have faster seek times.

This really depends on the hardware and how it's utilized. Current hardware seems a bit fixed, but we should see improvements from Intel with their next GPU generation. Software wins from a logical standpoint because it can be adjusted beyond whatever limits exist in hardware, however, it's 'good enough' for many things, and will likely be 'good enough' for others in the future.

It also seems like a GPU doesn't necessarily offer more simultaneous streams from Plex, than a quad core CPU. Therefore, more CPU cores would probably enable more overall streams from Plex, than a GPU.

This is more of a software thing. Near entry-level Quadros are usually favored for this as they don't have limits set and can support a dozen+ concurrent streams. For the Geforce variants, one needs to run Linux with a driver patch, which I am.

Beyond all that, it does seem that the bar for gameplay streaming (as opposed to game streaming a la Google's Stadia, now we have to be more specific...), is that the recording from gameplay needs to be in its final form at the time of recording. I don't really see this as a necessity as much as a convenience. Typically recording will be done with a higher bitrate, lower compression, higher dynamic range / lower noise codec and then edited and output for specific targets such as Youtube.

So when we're talking about gameplay streaming, we're talking about a subset of functionality that's likely more software limited than anything. Further, if one is serious about it, a second machine optimized for the purpose would be the best solution for many reasons, not the least of which being that frametime disruptions due to recording affecting various systems should be avoided.

Why is it called a "16-core gaming CPU"?

How many games are there that use 16 cores?

Because it is a "gaming cpu" (subject/noun) which happens to have "16 cores" (descriptor/adjective).

Of course, whether it is the best is up for debate and subject to testing.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/10/amd-16-core-ryzen-3950x/

Introducing the 3950x
$750. 16 core 32 thread, 72MB cache, 4.7GHz boost speeds.

Heralded by AMD as the best of the best. The first 16 core gaming CPU.

Ummm

Show me a game that benefits significantly from 16 cores and 32 threads.

I’ll wager the 9900k is still faster in true dedicated gaming use the vast majority of the time because 8 core 16 thread and 5GHz boost speeds with Intels IPC advantage will still win out for current games when 6 cores is pretty much the most any mainstream AAA title currently uses (and many games still only need dual core or quad core).

This AMD chip is fantastic, but why try to brand it something it’s not? a gaming CPU?

if you game on it doens't that make it a gaming cpu?

Whether something is considered "HEDT" or not is completely arbitrary.

There is no reason why Ryzen 9 3950X isn't a HEDT processor.

it wasn't when intel had 2 different platforms.

it was decided that 2011/1366 was HEDT and 115x was not

now AMD is doing it and people are losing their minds.

suddenly AMD broke intels monopoly on performance and broke all the rules about how many cores we're ALLOWED to have in the mainstream and it's awesome.

It's gaming because that's how AMD is choosing to segment and market their products.

Consider "pegging." Some people out there consider it a good time. I consider it a closeted gay man's idea of fun. Neither opinion is wrong, it's just how different people view something.

Beyond all that, it does seem that the bar for gameplay streaming (as opposed to game streaming a la Google's Stadia, now we have to be more specific...), is that the recording from gameplay needs to be in its final form at the time of recording. I don't really see this as a necessity as much as a convenience. Typically recording will be done with a higher bitrate, lower compression, higher dynamic range / lower noise codec and then edited and output for specific targets such as Youtube.

So when we're talking about gameplay streaming, we're talking about a subset of functionality that's likely more software limited than anything. Further, if one is serious about it, a second machine optimized for the purpose would be the best solution for many reasons, not the least of which being that frametime disruptions due to recording affecting various systems should be avoided.
The major reason to have a second machine right now, is because the CPUs most people are using in their gaming machines, are not enough to both game and smoothly stream at high quality, at the same time. And likewise, GPU's don't offer enough quality at low bitrates. Which is why people want to do it on their CPU.

A 12 core or 16 core CPU would make having an entire second machine, moot. Will it affect your frame times for playing game? Maybe. In current games, probably not much, if at all. Especially on the 16 core, where you could basically fully separate gaming threads from non-gaming threads. AMD put a ton of cache on these things. It would be an interesting test. Games 3 years from now, may fair worse. If they really start loading multiple threads.

A bigger concern to me, would be the affect the upload stream has on your ping for multiplayer games.

Reactions: blkt
like this
It's gaming because that's how AMD is choosing to segment and market their products.

Consider "pegging." Some people out there consider it a good time. I consider it a closeted gay man's idea of fun. Neither opinion is wrong, it's just how different people view something.

I don't remember AMD promoting Ryzen 9 3950X as a gaming CPU

In the short term, I think "gaming" will be more a factor of how closely more of the cores can turbo toward the 4.7Ghz number. It seems like these will be the best binned 8 core chiplets compared to say the 3700/3800X with a single chiplet and a lower boost. You're really paying for the best silicon IMO.

$750 is a lot of money, but on the other hand it's far and away faster and more powerful in threaded tasks than anything else in its price bracket and power envelope when it's released (at least on paper).

Personally, I'll probably end up with the 3700X as that's the sweet spot for my use case (and my budget).

I don't recall them marketing the 3950x as a hedt cpu either? It's a gaming cpu because AMD called it that. Whether it's a good one...

Let's stop being pedantic, please.

And there was this slide from the presentation...

650592-ryzen-3950x.jpg

I'm not going to defend unreleased reviews, but AMD shows some pretty significant ass kicking from thier slides.

I wouldn't make such a bold claim. If you actually read the way AMD rewired the cores and changed the cache layout and numbers, etc...

Any enthusiast worth thier salt can see how Intel is sweating bullets right now. If a 16 core shows higher IPC at a lower clock rate than an Intel 8 core with higher clocks, dont you think that is something worth worrying about if your Intel?

Preliminary marketing jazz is showing AMD with a lead in both the 8 core 12 core and 16 core chips, even the 6 core chips in gaming and productivity. Even Intels own HEDT products are being bested by the 12 core so far as were shown. The 8 core AMD was shown beating the 9900k. In fact If the slides are right the AMDs can support ram speeds in excess of the Intel parts with less fuss.

I'm not telling you that AMD is beating Intel 9900k but it sure damn looks that way given what we know now.

So if your mad that your 9900k is going to be beat, dont be, it's still going to be in the top 1%. Who the hell cares. Innovation is great for everyone.

I fully understand your stance on calling it a gaming CPU. Since when was the 9900k a gaming CPU? What is a gaming CPU? Cpus are just cpus. Some are faster than others. But there is no such thing as a gaming CPU. It's just marketing bullshit that the masses inhale like dope.
There's also the may update.

From PCworld:
As of the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, AMD said optimizations to the operating system will dispatch work to adjacent cores on the same die first, which will greatly reduce latency. AMD also said the May 2019 Update will bring faster clock ramping in its chips. With previous builds of Windows, AMD said it could take around 30 milliseconds for the CPU to ramp up to higher frequencies. As of the update (and with a new chipset driver) it’ll take just 1 to 2 milliseconds for the chip to reach its top speed. These fixes give some games a boost of 15 percent, while the faster clock ramping can yield 6-percent improvements.

That's a boost for old Ryzen, too.

ryzen_3000_windows_optimzations_2-100798899-orig.jpg

like this
Oh but apparently AMD said their performance numbers on the E3 stage were without the new update installed?!

like this
There's also the may update.

From PCworld:
As of the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, AMD said optimizations to the operating system will dispatch work to adjacent cores on the same die first, which will greatly reduce latency. AMD also said the May 2019 Update will bring faster clock ramping in its chips. With previous builds of Windows, AMD said it could take around 30 milliseconds for the CPU to ramp up to higher frequencies. As of the update (and with a new chipset driver) it’ll take just 1 to 2 milliseconds for the chip to reach its top speed. These fixes give some games a boost of 15 percent, while the faster clock ramping can yield 6-percent improvements.

That's a boost for old Ryzen, too.

I thought my 2950x felt faster with the 1903 build installed. That is why. I never read all the notes in detail but i'll be damned if it didnt feel snappier while gaming.

AMD also elected to NOT implement any patches on the Intel platform to deal with any of the numerous security issues...

Basically they were giving Intel every advantage they could...?

If that is true then we are going to see like a 30% uptick in gaming performance across the board. 1) the new IPC gains and 2) the OS optimizations.... wow this is a great time to build a new AMD system if your into doing that right now.

...a great time to build a new AMD system...

Current rig:

Generic ASUS OEM mATX motherboard
Intel i7-4770S CPU (4C/8T, 22nm, 65W)
16GB Corsair Dominator RAM (2 @ 8GB DIMMs, 1333MT/s, CAS 9)
Corsair 2.5" SSD (250GB, SATA III)
Zotac GTX 750 Ti (2GB)
Corsair SF600 SFX PSU (600W, Gold-rated)

Planned rig:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact motherboard (M-DTX form factor, X570 chipset, AM4 socket)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU (12C/24T, 7nm, 105W)
64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM (2 @ 32GB DIMMs, 3600MT/s, CAS 16)
Two 1TB SSDs (2280 M.2 form factor, PCIe 4.0 NVMe)
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50AE GPU (or Liquid-Cooled Sapphire Toxic variant?)
Corsair SF750 SFX PSU (750W, Platinum-rated)

Planning on an all PCIe 4.0 system, and when you look at the specs, the new rig should definitely outperform the old rig...! ;^p

Will most likely put an Enermax 240mm AIO on the CPU, and (see above) hoping for a Liquid-Cooled variant AIB for the GPU...

Looking at throwing it all in a Chimera Industries Cerberus chassis for the extra breathing room...

Well I just finished May updates to my 2400G. Let see if it improves gaming performance even with this 1070 ti in here.

upload_2019-6-14_0-31-3.png

like this
It would be an interesting test.
And it does need to be tested- you might sustain similar framerates while frametimes are shot to hell, for example, because you're loading down other subsystems.

A bigger concern to me, would be the affect the upload stream has on your ping for multiplayer games.
Ideally you'd want some form of QoS going on, if you don't have a second line altogether.

I'll maintain that there's a large gap in requirements between doing basic real-time streaming and wanting to max the quality out.

Back