The Worlds Best of Best 16 core gaming CPU.

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by Archaea, Jun 10, 2019.

1. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

I get that real-time streaming is a goal, but I don't see it as a necessity. However, I'll admit to not being a consumer of gameplay streaming.

I use a 7600k too, but I also dropped in a 1050Ti 4GB card to help. Both are overkill for my uses for the moment, but the 1050Ti can obviously do more than transcode.

This really depends on the hardware and how it's utilized. Current hardware seems a bit fixed, but we should see improvements from Intel with their next GPU generation. Software wins from a logical standpoint because it can be adjusted beyond whatever limits exist in hardware, however, it's 'good enough' for many things, and will likely be 'good enough' for others in the future.

This is more of a software thing. Near entry-level Quadros are usually favored for this as they don't have limits set and can support a dozen+ concurrent streams. For the Geforce variants, one needs to run Linux with a driver patch, which I am.

Beyond all that, it does seem that the bar for gameplay streaming (as opposed to game streaming a la Google's Stadia, now we have to be more specific...), is that the recording from gameplay needs to be in its final form at the time of recording. I don't really see this as a necessity as much as a convenience. Typically recording will be done with a higher bitrate, lower compression, higher dynamic range / lower noise codec and then edited and output for specific targets such as Youtube.

So when we're talking about gameplay streaming, we're talking about a subset of functionality that's likely more software limited than anything. Further, if one is serious about it, a second machine optimized for the purpose would be the best solution for many reasons, not the least of which being that frametime disruptions due to recording affecting various systems should be avoided.

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

Why is it called a "16-core gaming CPU"?

How many games are there that use 16 cores?

3. Hakaba

Hakaba Gawd

Honestly, I would say it’s called “gaming” because it is an AM4 socket.

N4CR likes this.
  4. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Because it is a "gaming cpu" (subject/noun) which happens to have "16 cores" (descriptor/adjective).

Of course, whether it is the best is up for debate and subject to testing.

5. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

if you game on it doens't that make it a gaming cpu?

Manny Calavera, N4CR and Flexion like this.
  6. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

You can run games on the Ryzen Threadripper 2950X.

Why isn't it a "16-core gaming CPU"?

Archaea likes this.
  7. Master_shake_

HEDT platform

gaming is more mainstream grade stuff.

AM4 stuff

8. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

HEDT just stands for "high-end desktop"

I am not sure how the $749 16-core Ryzen 9 3950X isn't for "high-end desktop"

mikeo likes this.
  9. Master_shake_

cause it's not on a TR4 platform which has been established as a HEDT platform.

Hakaba, N4CR and IdiotInCharge like this.
  10. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

Whether something is considered "HEDT" or not is completely arbitrary.

There is no reason why Ryzen 9 3950X isn't a HEDT processor.

11. Master_shake_

it wasn't when intel had 2 different platforms.

it was decided that 2011/1366 was HEDT and 115x was not

now AMD is doing it and people are losing their minds.

suddenly AMD broke intels monopoly on performance and broke all the rules about how many cores we're ALLOWED to have in the mainstream and it's awesome.

Manny Calavera, N4CR and blkt like this.
  12. Randall Stephens

Randall Stephens Limp Gawd

It's gaming because that's how AMD is choosing to segment and market their products.

Consider "pegging." Some people out there consider it a good time. I consider it a closeted gay man's idea of fun. Neither opinion is wrong, it's just how different people view something.

13. chameleoneel

chameleoneel 2[H]4U

The major reason to have a second machine right now, is because the CPUs most people are using in their gaming machines, are not enough to both game and smoothly stream at high quality, at the same time. And likewise, GPU's don't offer enough quality at low bitrates. Which is why people want to do it on their CPU.

A 12 core or 16 core CPU would make having an entire second machine, moot. Will it affect your frame times for playing game? Maybe. In current games, probably not much, if at all. Especially on the 16 core, where you could basically fully separate gaming threads from non-gaming threads. AMD put a ton of cache on these things. It would be an interesting test. Games 3 years from now, may fair worse. If they really start loading multiple threads.

A bigger concern to me, would be the affect the upload stream has on your ping for multiplayer games.

blkt likes this.
  14. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

I don't remember AMD promoting Ryzen 9 3950X as a gaming CPU

15. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

In the short term, I think "gaming" will be more a factor of how closely more of the cores can turbo toward the 4.7Ghz number. It seems like these will be the best binned 8 core chiplets compared to say the 3700/3800X with a single chiplet and a lower boost. You're really paying for the best silicon IMO.

$750 is a lot of money, but on the other hand it's far and away faster and more powerful in threaded tasks than anything else in its price bracket and power envelope when it's released (at least on paper).

Personally, I'll probably end up with the 3700X as that's the sweet spot for my use case (and my budget).

16. chameleoneel

chameleoneel 2[H]4U

Lisa Su literally says "meet the world's first 16 core gaming processor", on stage at E3.

17. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

I don't recall them marketing the 3950x as a hedt cpu either? It's a gaming cpu because AMD called it that. Whether it's a good one...

Let's stop being pedantic, please.

Manny Calavera likes this.
  18. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

That's what I get for reading the live blog instead of watching the event.

19. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

And there was this slide from the presentation...

650592-ryzen-3950x.jpg

20. chameleoneel

chameleoneel 2[H]4U

There's also the may update.

From PCworld:
    As of the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, AMD said optimizations to the operating system will dispatch work to adjacent cores on the same die first, which will greatly reduce latency. AMD also said the May 2019 Update will bring faster clock ramping in its chips. With previous builds of Windows, AMD said it could take around 30 milliseconds for the CPU to ramp up to higher frequencies. As of the update (and with a new chipset driver) it’ll take just 1 to 2 milliseconds for the chip to reach its top speed. These fixes give some games a boost of 15 percent, while the faster clock ramping can yield 6-percent improvements.

That's a boost for old Ryzen, too.

ryzen_3000_windows_optimzations_2-100798899-orig.jpg

blkt likes this.
  21. chameleoneel

chameleoneel 2[H]4U

Oh but apparently AMD said their performance numbers on the E3 stage were without the new update installed?!

blkt likes this.
  22. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

I thought my 2950x felt faster with the 1903 build installed. That is why. I never read all the notes in detail but i'll be damned if it didnt feel snappier while gaming.

blkt and chameleoneel like this.
  23. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

AMD also elected to NOT implement any patches on the Intel platform to deal with any of the numerous security issues...

Basically they were giving Intel every advantage they could...?

Manny Calavera, blkt and chameleoneel like this.
  24. tangoseal

If that is true then we are going to see like a 30% uptick in gaming performance across the board. 1) the new IPC gains and 2) the OS optimizations.... wow this is a great time to build a new AMD system if your into doing that right now.

blkt and Boil like this.
  25. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Current rig:

Generic ASUS OEM mATX motherboard
    Intel i7-4770S CPU (4C/8T, 22nm, 65W)
    16GB Corsair Dominator RAM (2 @ 8GB DIMMs, 1333MT/s, CAS 9)
    Corsair 2.5" SSD (250GB, SATA III)
    Zotac GTX 750 Ti (2GB)
    Corsair SF600 SFX PSU (600W, Gold-rated)

Planned rig:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact motherboard (M-DTX form factor, X570 chipset, AM4 socket)
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU (12C/24T, 7nm, 105W)
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM (2 @ 32GB DIMMs, 3600MT/s, CAS 16)
    Two 1TB SSDs (2280 M.2 form factor, PCIe 4.0 NVMe)
    AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50AE GPU (or Liquid-Cooled Sapphire Toxic variant?)
    Corsair SF750 SFX PSU (750W, Platinum-rated)

Planning on an all PCIe 4.0 system, and when you look at the specs, the new rig should definitely outperform the old rig...! ;^p

Will most likely put an Enermax 240mm AIO on the CPU, and (see above) hoping for a Liquid-Cooled variant AIB for the GPU...

Looking at throwing it all in a Chimera Industries Cerberus chassis for the extra breathing room...

Manny Calavera, chameleoneel and blkt like this.
  26. tangoseal

Well I just finished May updates to my 2400G. Let see if it improves gaming performance even with this 1070 ti in here.

upload_2019-6-14_0-31-3.png

blkt likes this.
  27. oopspowsurprise

oopspowsurprise [H]Lite

AMD3950x.PNG

Diffused in USA (I/O die - GloFo?)
    Diffused in Taiwan (chiplets - TSMC)
    Made in China (assemble)

Manny Calavera, blkt and Flexion like this.
  28. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

29. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

I can't wait for the day where CPUs will play the games for us, that will be a real "Gaming CPU" lol.

That rock she's wearing is distracting. XD

Master_shake_ likes this.
  30. IdiotInCharge

Convention is the reason. AM4 is a consumer socket, TR4 is an HEDT socket.

Master_shake_ likes this.
  31. IdiotInCharge

And it does need to be tested- you might sustain similar framerates while frametimes are shot to hell, for example, because you're loading down other subsystems.

Ideally you'd want some form of QoS going on, if you don't have a second line altogether.

I'll maintain that there's a large gap in requirements between doing basic real-time streaming and wanting to max the quality out.