The Witness - Jonathan Blow Exclusive

-Sn1PeR-

2[H]4U
http://the-witness.net/news/

Check it out! Joystiq just linked this article explaining that it probably won't end up on consoles. It seems that the freedom of the PC platform and the broad exposure and success of smaller indie titles is starting to sway more devs.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/28/t...ios-blow-says-consoles-are-too-ol/2#c34845169
http://www.next-gen.biz/features/jonathan-blow-interview?page=5

Blow created Braid, and I for one enjoy his take on puzzle games. He seems to have a way of creating unique, mind twisting mechanics. Other games that he's in the credits for include Super Meat Boy and Oddworld.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, I liked Braid I thought the puzzles were unique and clever, although the lack closure on the story still pisses me off to this day :)

This sounds like the vehicle for an even more pretentious game, which is what he has been accused of rather frequently.

Am I the only one here playing?

I'm currently at 216+1 puzzles. Believe that's about 33% total completion (or half-way to the end game), but of course the difficulty ramps.

I really want to play this however I get super frustrated with getting stuck on puzzles. Is there an easy mode or a "WTF just let me skip this one" feature? :eek:

Nope. I mean, you can look up solutions on the internet, but puzzles is what this game is.

I actually hope the narrative will kick it up a bit, because I'm not super-interested in the puzzle-solving as a challenge itself. So far I'm not getting the "you feel smart when you solve it", only "I feel so dumb that it took so long to figure out". Perhaps a point of view thing :-\

There are hints of cool things on the island though, and so far (~12 hours in) it's not been so hard I'd want to quit.

Made good progress today and yesterday. 272+5. Think I'm just two away in the castle (in the tower).

I've also made good progress on the tree-house, quarry and 'tetris' place (though got stuck on the red elevator puzzle).

I keep forgetting to check what my current score is. So far I play this game without real purpose - start it up, wander around a little bit... see if something catches my eye, and try to solve a puzzle.

Then I forget about something, and just end up walking around. Trying not to get frustrated or willfully hacking away at puzzles just yet.

(I'm sure there'll be time for that later.)

297+5. Realized I could do the shaded forest, which compared to the tetris village and tree-house was a piece of cake.

That's almost at the halfway point of # puzzles I believe (~600)

600+ puzzles?...I enjoyed Mist back in the day but this seems like puzzle overload

It's a lot, but it's counting every single panel as a 'puzzle', when really many panels together form part of a greater puzzle. A single panel can take anything from seconds to you giving up to solve.

I think he's said it's a roughly a 40h game (for the ending, not to 'completionist it'), which tracks with my progress (17h in).

Back