The Witcher | Official Teaser | Netflix

I think in terms of "success" netflix bases it off how many people watch something. Take that awful movie "bright" that had Will Smith in it. It was plain awful, but had 10s of millions of views, so netflix considered it a success. Netflix is a mixed bag when it comes to original content. That CGI dragon was inexcusable in these times. Maybe 10-15 years ago it would be okay, but its almost as if they ran out of budget and asked a college kid to do something over the weekend
Bright wasn't incredible, but I’ve seen a lot worse. Kind of a interesting world they made in it. Good audio too. First movie they made in Atmos? Or one of the first?

Bright had Will Smith in it so I'm sure the show received extra money it otherwise wouldn't have gotten. For a movie (not a series), they got a lot done IMO. Had to intro the world, the main characters and carry a plot forward to a conclusion (however good or bad a job that might have been).

Was it great? No but it was pretty good - I gave it a 7/10 ish. But the special effects were a step above what they were able to do in the Witcher IMO.

Here's the catch though, would I prefer The Witcher to look crappy the entire series because they spent money making a really good looking gold dragon? Or deal with a crappy looking gold dragon for a few seconds of screen time but the rest of the show looks better? If I was the show runner - I'd say have a garbage looking dragon and keep the rest of the show looking better would be the way to go. <- That would true of any show. Even GoT had to keep the CGI Dragons and Wolves to a minimum due to budgets.

Read the books, played the games, thought the show was really good. Of course its not 100% authentic, but they did a good job capturing the feel of the world imo. Looking forward to the mermaid story if they make it.

So I watched the show and had no trouble keeping track of the story. Why were people confused about the timelines? Overall a very solid show, I was skeptical with all the shit talking about it but I enjoyed it.

One of the things I find interesting is that generally speaking the main story in the Witcher and the Mandalorian is
how they become "fathers" to Ciri and baby yoda

One of the things I find interesting is that generally speaking the main story in the Witcher and the Mandalorian is
how they become "fathers" to Ciri and baby yoda

That happens a lot more than one would think in Hollywood. Similar themes, perhaps coincidental go thru different paths of development and timelines only to end up releasing close together.

what.....? you can't make some imaginary connections between starwars and a book series started 30 years ago

WTH??...Cavill was perfect as Geralt...I wonder what happened behind the scenes...Netflix might as well cancel the series after Cavill leaves the role

The Witcher Shocker: Henry Cavill Out Ahead of Season 4; Liam Hemsworth to Take Over as Geralt of Rivia

Netflix on Saturday announced that the fantasy drama has been renewed for Season 4, at which point series star Henry Cavill will depart the role of Geralt of Rivia and hand his swords over to Hunger Games vet Liam Hemsworth

“My journey as Geralt of Rivia has been filled with both monsters and adventures, and alas, I will be laying down my medallion and my swords for Season 4,” Cavill said in a statement. “In my stead, the fantastic Mr. Liam Hemsworth will be taking up the mantle of the White Wolf...

https://tvline.com/2022/10/29/henry-cavill-leaving-the-witcher-season-4-liam-hemsworth-recast/

Odd choice. To be fair, I though season 2 was kind of lame. And Netflix is being, well, Netflix a bit much.

WTH??...Cavill was perfect as Geralt...I wonder what happened behind the scenes...Netflix might as well cancel the series after Cavill leaves the role
I agree. Cavill really perfected the role. I can't imagine the series without him.
The Witcher Shocker: Henry Cavill Out Ahead of Season 4; Liam Hemsworth to Take Over as Geralt of Rivia
In Geralt's voice: not good.

I'm thinking the re-signing as Superman is eating up Cavill's free time - hope it's that anyway and not politics. I remember thinking Cavill would make a weird Geralt, but ended up nailing the role.

But - yeah, I'm having a tough time recalling the last time a TV series recast their main character.

I'll just pretend season 3 is the end of the show then. Liam Hemsworth is immensely irritating.

Yeah he is, and something about the way he looks just makes me want to punch him. :D

Something about Henry Cavill makes me immensely afraid to punch him.

7deb8dc8f83757fe1ff5780529b64f24.jpg

Can't figure out what it is though...

Liam is not a good actor...IMO. Sad to hear this...as I feel Henry's heart is more into the series.

Its not a shock. He hasn't been happy from the start. You could hear it in every interview he actually did for the show.
He took the roll because he loves the books. They hired writers that actually hate the books.
First season wasn't horrible but was pretty loose with the material...
Second season completely dumped the source material and became a completely new thing... with some characters that also called themselves witchers but where not. While focusing 90% of the show on some sort of political harry potter GOT type BS. Just stick to the witcher and his travels killing monsters and dealing with the human variety.

Can't say I blame him for getting out.

Second season completely dumped the source material and became a completely new thing... with some characters that also called themselves witchers but where not. While focusing 90% of the show on some sort of political harry potter GOT type BS. Just stick to the witcher and his travels killing monsters and dealing with the human variety

Netflix wanted to have their own version of Game of Thrones and thought The Witcher could be it...

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Netflix wanted to have their own version of Game of Thrones and thought The Witcher could be it...
It easily could have been if Netflix didn't have their heads permanently lodged in their arses. The Witcher is popular because of the games and the books. You don't dump the very reason it's successful. The source material is all there. You can have creative liberty with it to adapt it to live action, but you don't dump everything ... and more importantly ... you don't hire people that hate the very thing they're working on. It's honestly mind boggling how stupid Netflix is. They ruin everything they touch.

Second season completely dumped the source material and became a completely new thing... with some characters that also called themselves witchers but where not. While focusing 90% of the show on some sort of political harry potter GOT type BS. Just stick to the witcher and his travels killing monsters and dealing with the human variety.

Witcher 2 and 3 games had a lot more going on than random monster hunting. But yes, the second season went off the rails and wasn't even that interesting.

It easily could have been if Netflix didn't have their heads permanently lodged in their arses. The Witcher is popular because of the games and the books. You don't dump the very reason it's successful. The source material is all there. You can have creative liberty with it to adapt it to live action, but you don't dump everything ... and more importantly ... you don't hire people that hate the very thing they're working on. It's honestly mind boggling how stupid Netflix is. They ruin everything they touch.
Stupidity would be refreshing - it’s actually just arrogance and disdain for “true fans”. Similar to what’s happening with Star Wars, Rings of Power, and pretty much every other attempt to “redefine” (ie exploit) well established franchises.

Its not a shock. He hasn't been happy from the start. You could hear it in every interview he actually did for the show.
He took the roll because he loves the books. They hired writers that actually hate the books.
First season wasn't horrible but was pretty loose with the material...

Can't say I blame him for getting out.
That and the filming for Witcher conflicts with the new Superman Movie, and between the two which would you rather do?

I have been sick of Netflix ruining existing IPs and more and more catering to the lowest common denominator on all their shows, both original and existing IPs. Absolutely they need to make a lot of content to cater to the majority with those tastes in trash TV. But if they also want to keep subscribers who like high quality shows too, they actually have to produce high quality content for them too. They are no longer doing that. Ruining the chance of a good Witcher adaptation for the foreseeable future and treating Henry Carville like they have done was enough for me. Already cancelled my Netflix subscription permanently, unless by some chance they ever turn things around in terms of content quality (for at least enough of their shows for a sub to be worth it) - which will take them years from when they make the decision to do so, if they ever do make that decision. I think all other Witcher fans should be doing the same now. I also told them my reasoning in the "Other" checkbox for cancellation reason.

Netflix has some of the worst writers in the industry working for them. They are about on par with network television writers on their best days. The only good shows on Netflix are the ones that have independent writing teams.

I'm thinking the re-signing as Superman is eating up Cavill's free time - hope it's that anyway and not politics. I remember thinking Cavill would make a weird Geralt, but ended up nailing the role.

But - yeah, I'm having a tough time recalling the last time a TV series recast their main character.
Doctor Who!

That and the filming for Witcher conflicts with the new Superman Movie, and between the two which would you rather do?
Netflix would have worked around that schedule.
Imagine your Netflix.... hmmm our star we have under contract for a show. Who we paid because he was famous for playing superman. IS going to appear in another superman movie. OH NO what will we do.
They would have filmed it when he was done with superman happily. Even the craziest long movie shoot is a few months at most.

Any star Netflix manages to get into a Netflix production... is going to bend to keep them on board. Especially if they start shooting blockbusters.

Netflix would have worked around that schedule.
Imagine your Netflix.... hmmm our star we have under contract for a show. Who we paid because he was famous for playing superman. IS going to appear in another superman movie. OH NO what will we do.
They would have filmed it when he was done with superman happily. Even the craziest long movie shoot is a few months at most.

Any star Netflix manages to get into a Netflix production... is going to bend to keep them on board. Especially if they start shooting blockbusters.

Which is exactly why I think he left because he saw how shit the show was becoming and didn't want to deal with the bullshit that would come with trying to change it.

Which is exactly why I think he left because he saw how shit the show was becoming and didn't want to deal with the bullshit that would come with trying to change it.

It could be part of it. But he is also coming back to superman and rumor is that he also might be on House of Dragons season 2. So it was easier to leave given the huge roles he is undertaking.

It could be part of it. But he is also coming back to superman and rumor is that he also might be on House of Dragons season 2. So it was easier to leave given the huge roles he is undertaking.

Yeah, and I'm sure Netflix doesn't want to delay one of their hit series (especially since they desperately need unique, hit material). And yeah, I can't blame Cavill for wanting to spearhead a Gunn-lead DC universe reboot as Superman.

that Spartacus series on Starz...the original actor died of cancer so they needed to recast
I did not know that, reminds me I need to get back to that series - really enjoyed season 1.

it might not be just Superman that Cavill is working on...there were rumors last year that Cavill was interested in playing Commander Shepard in a potential Amazon Mass Effect TV adaptation...Henry Cavill posted a mysterious message on Instagram hinting at a “secret project?,” and internet sleuths figured out it was actually a printout of the Wikipedia entry for Mass Effect 3...

Well, normally the answer would be obvious, but I thought Cavill had made it clear he didn't want to come back--he was hardly in Justice League. I wonder how they talked him into it.

Back