The Witcher | Official Teaser | Netflix

A
I was going to say they shoulda slapped some fake 5 o'clock shadow or beard on him or something - he just doesn't look right; although I guess they sort of get a pass since it's a "younger" Geralt.

Still not a fan of the trailer but I'll still give it a go.

And apparently all actors are fans of the games/books/comics they act in/portary nowadays cause we all know they were all nerds/geeks growing up. /sarcasm

Yes it is a trope, but Cavill is genuinely a fan of the games and video games and MMOs in general. The stories about him completely ignoring the original call for the Superman role because he was playing WOW are pretty old at this point.

I think Cavill will be fine if the writing is there - and that's the major wildcard.

They will have to fight uphill against the "doesn't look like Witcher 3" brigade, but again - if the writing is there, I think everyone will come around.

I think Cavill will be fine if the writing is there - and that's the major wildcard.

They will have to fight uphill against the "doesn't look like Witcher 3" brigade, but again - if the writing is there, I think everyone will come around.

Given that Netflix has the budget and will to do everything else well, I agree.

Though watching Jessica Jones, I'm still regularly annoyed by the lens tilt shots... the downside of being a photographer.

As someone who has also read them, I don't think Geralt is spot on at all. Geralt is not a pretty boy body builder. He's lean, grizzled and weathered.

Well, nowhere does it say expressly that in the books that he's grizzled and weathered. He is definitely in shape (kind of) given his abilities. Yes he is rough around the edges in personality, but Geralt always seems to attract women to him throughout the books so he very much can be a "pretty boy" or at the very least he's an attractive man.

Honestly I would rather have someone who has read all the books and played Witcher 3 multiple times like Cavil than someone who doesn't understand Geralt from the books and just knows Geralt from the show script. I am still staying optimistic about the series.

Here they talk about Geralt's looks a little: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...the-truth-is-he-was-a-relatively-handsome-man

but Geralt always seems to attract women to him throughout the books so he very much can be a "pretty boy" or at the very least he's an attractive man.

Terrible argument. Men don't need to be pretty to attract women.

As far as fitness/physique, Geralt in the books basically spends all his time traveling. Town to town in search of work, drinking and looking for work. It's a very hard life, not really in line with carrying a lot of extra muscle mass.

They are books, and we all likely have our own image of Geralt, so you are entitled to yours, but mine is practically the opposite of Cavill.

It's as glaring to me as casting Seth Green to play Conan.

Reactions: Damos
like this
Looks decent but as with the majority of Netflix, I hope it doesn't turn out to be something that starts strong then gets weaker and weaker as it goes on. (Looking at you BoJack, Stranger Things & Kimmy Schmidt.)

Kinda wished HBO took this instead of the weird GOT spin-off.
Superman playing a pasty, polish created deformed Witcher will always be weird.

Difficult. Difficult to tell without a GAW rating and BTP ratios. HBO has just about perfected BTP, but Netflix is better at GAW, although this series has none. I am unsure what the fantasy equivalent is.

P.S. GAW == Gratifying Automatic Weapons. BTP == Breasts To Plot ratio.

at first i was thinking BTP meant Butts, T*ts & P**sy. I was close.

Hellz yeah man, looks awesome! Henry does some impressive swordplay in that trailer.

I still feel Guy Pearce would have been the best choice for Geralt. He has the physique, the look, and the acting ability. Fortunately he is great at accents as his Australian accent just wouldn’t work for Geralt.

Netflix Geralt is disappointing vs game Geralt in physical features. Meaning: where's the scars from previous battles? Game Geralt had numerous scars whereas Netflix Geralt has none, from what I can tell.

Let's hope the actor's abilities portraying Geralt live up to the standards set by the game.

Netflix Geralt is disappointing vs game Geralt in physical features. Meaning: where's the scars from previous battles? Game Geralt had numerous scars whereas Netflix Geralt has none, from what I can tell.

Let's hope the actor's abilities portraying Geralt live up to the standards set by the game.

It looks pretty early in the timeline. Maybe he didn’t get them yet? Doubtful, but I agree with you anyways. Seems too clean.

Overall I am excited for it. Netflix is usually at least entertaining.

This new trailer looks a lot better than the previous one. Are they hiding the black girl that plays Triss to keep the anti-SJW comments to a minimum? I don't think I saw her this time.

Reactions: Youn
like this

The series takes place long before the games. The first game takes place after all the books and this show is based on the books and not the games.

Not diggin Anya as Yennefer. She's trying too hard to be alluring, comes across as an awkward teenager in that scene. In the game she seemed reserved, wiser, with a pent up passion. Looks like they nailed Geralt though.

Okay, it looked better than I feared and Cavill was more convincing than I expected. Cautious optimism.

Agree with the comment on Yenn, but hopefully that's mostly just one scene where she's toying with him a little. If she's that gooey all the time, bleck.

Not diggin Anya as Yennefer. She's trying too hard to be alluring, comes across as an awkward teenager in that scene. In the game she seemed reserved, wiser, with a pent up passion. Looks like they nailed Geralt though.

While I'd expect that this is down to the actress -- given the pre-game setting, couldn't the character 'wisen up' with age, as the actress herself does?

should be a decent series...problem is that everyone is trying to find the next Game of Thrones...that Amazon series Carnival Row was trying too hard to be GoT and was a disappointment...Witcher is up next...at least they're following the books so at worst it won't suck

IDK about the books, but Geralt in the games isn't as physically imposing as Henry Cavil. Lost count of the number of times street rats try to start fights with Geralt because they all underestimate him. He's not bursting out of his clothing with muscles nor is he towering over people. I cant imagine those same rabble trying to intimidate or goad Henry Cavil's Geralt into a tussle. The dude is simply HUGE.

IDK about the books, but Geralt in the games isn't as physically imposing as Henry Cavil. Lost count of the number of times street rats try to start fights with Geralt because they all underestimate him. He's not bursting out of his clothing with muscles nor is he towering over people. I cant imagine those same rabble trying to intimidate or goad Henry Cavil's Geralt into a tussle. The dude is simply HUGE.

I mean, his eyes are a different color, he walks with purpose, and he's carrying two swords -- I think the point is that the thugs in that setting are just extremely brazen and not used to being challenged.

should be a decent series...problem is that everyone is trying to find the next Game of Thrones...that Amazon series Carnival Row was trying too hard to be GoT and was a disappointment...Witcher is up next...at least they're following the books so at worst it won't suck

I actually agree with this mostly; yet I am thinking that most people only know this series from The Witcher 3. That game was huge and I personally know quite a few people that have only played it and have no interest in the prequels or the book series. We will see if this keeps people interest with the obvious GoT influences yet not the same allure. After watching the new Watchmen on HBO, my exceptions are about as low as you can go, so this should be able to be a pleasant surprise. lol

While I'd expect that this is down to the actress -- given the pre-game setting, couldn't the character 'wisen up' with age, as the actress herself does?

I'm not exactly sure of the timeline here but isn't she a thousand years old? In that time you'd think she would develop a high level of wisdom.

IDK about the books, but Geralt in the games isn't as physically imposing as Henry Cavil.

I see your point but he seems to have the right demeanor, quiet, reserved and brooding, waiting for his chance. I'm stoked to see it.

On a side note, The King is out.

The Witcher | Official Trailer | Netflix

premieres December 20th...

The quote about evil is evil ~ they wanted to connect with Witcher (the game) fans, but then ruined it (and i'm not racist) with a black girl whom should be white.

Trailer looks good. I'm not a huge Cavil fan but he seems to embrace it. I'll watch it and I'm glad it's not on Uranus++ TV (tm!) or someother new BS streaming BS along with the other fresh streaming spawn that cost another $10 a month

I'm not exactly sure of the timeline here but isn't she a thousand years old? In that time you'd think she would develop a high level of wisdom.

I see your point but he seems to have the right demeanor, quiet, reserved and brooding, waiting for his chance. I'm stoked to see it.

On a side note, The King is out.

i'm not sure how old she is in the books but the games take place after the books as derangel pointed out as well. people just need to ignore the games even exist and stop trying to compare them.

Watched the first episode, it's a bit cheese heavy. Still think Cavill was the wrong choice, here he's kind of doing something like the Christian Bale "I'm Batman" voice permanently.

Watched the first episode, it's a bit cheese heavy. Still think Cavill was the wrong choice, here he's kind of doing something like the Christian Bale "I'm Batman" voice permanently.

When he talks to others, sure, but pay attention to how he talks to Roach -- it's a bit less broodingly cautious, I think.

That's... actually Geralt. It grows on you.

Not growing on me. Not my Geralt (I read all the books).

His costume and wig also look kind of comic-con, Cosplay level.

This is really FAR from LOTR/GOT level stuff.

I’ve not read the books, but Cavill matches the Witcher 3 game character well in episode 1. Better than I expected.

I found the first episode a little slow personally. It was 2AM so I probably need to rewatch, but I don’t think I understood the plot clearly. Why did he
have to fight her gang of soldiers as the “lesser of two evils” and why did Geralt keep letting her stab him and fight defensively. Game Geralt would have just aggressively lopped of her head after she made her choice to have a go against him and initiated the attack. I don’t think he would try to get her to change her mind several times as she is stabbing him and let her walk away. Also Geralt grabs/stops her sword/dagger thrust with his bare hand and gets cut, blood is coming out of his hand wound and next scene his hands have no blood on them as he walks away? Lame continuity error in the very first episode - unless book Geralt has some sort of immediate heal property that I’m unfamiliar with because game Geralt does not.

Last edited:
Back