'The Witcher' Netflix Show Hits This Fall

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Variety has reported that Netflix CCO Ted Sarandos revealed during a Q&A that The Witcher will be premiering on the streaming platform in the fourth quarter this calendar year. The series based on the books stars Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia and is produced by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich.

“And then you start seeing later in the fourth quarter some of our bigger film investments coming through like ‘Irishman,’ like ‘6 Underground’ and also a big new original series that we’re currently shooting in Hungary called ‘The Witcher,’ that is an enormous European IP, very popular game and Book IP, that we think is going to make a really fun global series.”

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/the-witcher-netflix-release-date-1203191484/

Good post!I am excited for this. Gonna need something since GoT is going off. Seems like a perfect time to swoop in and save the day

I hope its decent or at least better than the 2002 Polish series.

Between W2 and W3 I've probably got 300-400 hours into these games. Lost count of the replays. Actually just replayed W2 around the holidays. Haven't read the books and heard this was mainly going to be based on them.

Just hoping that Netflix gives enough budget for some decent special effects, sets, costumes, etc. I think Cavill and cast will do fine for their parts but hoping this won't be like so many of those shows at the end of the 90's where there's maybe 5 minutes of creatures or magic. I feel the games, even if they strayed from the books, have done such an incredible job of creating rich immersive visuals. Looking nervously foward to this.

Hopefully it limits SJW content. There already was a whole load of backlash when they tried making Ciri black. They should stick to the book content.

That was internet "worst case" conjecture based upon the casting call they placed for Ciri. I would have been very upset with a black ciri, TBH, as it doesn't fit in the 600 hours of reading and playing I've done in the universe. But, technically, a lot of Slavic countries (yes, along with black, asian etc.) are considered BAME according to the rules of major bodies/regulators in the UK, where the call was placed.

Unless the showrunner herself leaked the info about the BAME, to test the waters (so to speak) about changing races... Which ultimately backfired... We have no idea what her true intentions were in this case, and no reason to believe the production has any SJW-itis in it's current incarnation...

But then again, it's netflix, so. Watered down crap for the masses and vocal minorities is a large portion of their programming.

FFS what's with this dumbass obsession with labels for humans?!
And many of those selfsame dumbasses will turn around and say that race is just a social construct when it's advantageous for them to do so. They use race to divide and conquer while simultaneously denying it even exists.

I'm going to necro this since I just watched the 2nd season. I get the Bebop discussion but this is also relevant in our nerd tech world. I like it but I'm also a bit confused by what's going on. The 2nd season actually has better production value and it looks like Netflix wants this to be a game thrones in a way. The first season was good and the 2nd is better in many ways but the story continuity is confusing. I probably need to watch again (or I was too drunk while watching it) but it's as if they reset everything for the 2nd season. There's a spinoff as well.

I'm going to necro this since I just watched the 2nd season. I get the Bebop discussion but this is also relevant in our nerd tech world. I like it but I'm also a bit confused by what's going on. The 2nd season actually has better production value and it looks like Netflix wants this to be a game thrones in a way. The first season was good and the 2nd is better in many ways but the story continuity is confusing. I probably need to watch again (or I was too drunk while watching it) but it's as if they reset everything for the 2nd season. There's a spinoff as well.
As I understand it from production statements, while S1 was skipping all over the timeline, S2 is supposed to be pretty linear with no major skips back and forth. S2 starts post S1 finale and does very little, if any, skipping back in time. There are some forward jumps to cover travel or training time it seems. But still not skipping whole years (yet, I haven't finished the seasons).

For example, in S1, Geralt is 95 by the time Cintra falls; Yennefer got prettified at Aretuza something like 53 years before Cintra fell.

I really enjoyed the second season. Much easier to follow than the first. My only real complaint was the writing for Vesemir. The games had him nowhere near as annoying as I found him in this series. Cavill seems to have matured well into the Geralt role. Looking forward to S03!

Finished 2nd season last night and so much better without the skipping around. One of the best shows this year.

I agree, this season is so much better than season 1. Although I did like season 1, this season was fantastic.

Cannot wait for season 3!

I'm half way into the second season... it is better then season one. Love that with all the story stuffed in they still ensure there is a monster of the week to witch. lol

Hands down this is Netflix's signature series and they know it. That's why they are basing other series off it. Really thought the first season was a good starting point and decent and second season was even better. Wasn't expecting giant beasts in the end without spoiling it for anyone further. Just wow. Really can't wait for season 3. Apparently they have season 6 planned out already because one of the spin off series the guy was explaining the set and was mentioning "this set right here will also be used for Witcher season 6" lol.

Was pretty 'meh' on season 1, but season 2 was pretty solid.

I have sub-zero interest in the spin-off, though. I'm really only here for Geralt.

I have sub-zero interest in the spin-off, though. I'm really only here for Geralt.
Me too. I don't want another witcher game if Geralt is not main character.

Same here. Might watch the spin off but not really here for that. Geralt is the shit tough.

Ok, so now that most people are on board and liking it with season 2 it's going to get cancelled. At least I think that's how netflix originals work.

On a serious note, definitely liking what they've done with it.

Ok, so now that most people are on board and liking it with season 2 it's going to get cancelled. At least I think that's how netflix originals work.

On a serious note, definitely liking what they've done with it.
NAA its their top series. like GOT at HBO not getting canceled anytime soon. One of the spin off (making off) the guy literally mentioned this stage will also be used in Witcher season 6. So not saying its 100% but they have plans much further down the road for the series, only thing that would mess it up is if the main character walks away. But I am sure netflix has him locked for multiple seasons in whatever agreements they did.

NAA its their top series. like GOT at HBO not getting canceled anytime soon. One of the spin off (making off) the guy literally mentioned this stage will also be used in Witcher season 6. So not saying its 100% but they have plans much further down the road for the series, only thing that would mess it up is if the main character walks away. But I am sure netflix has him locked for multiple seasons in whatever agreements they did.
yeah. iirc, in one of the behind the scenes vids a producer mentions everything is in line for 5 more seasons right now, 7 total.

I finished season 2. I think it is just okay. First of all, Geralt isn't quite like he is in the games. From my understanding is the he is also not portrayed exactly as he was in the books. He is too closed off and hardly speaks. In the games he tends to remain calm and reserved but still speaks at great lengths at times. There are plenty of conversations in Witcher 2/3. In the TV series he typically grunts or mutters out a few words here and there. I understand if he acts that way up front, but so far he has yet to really speak at length which I find odd.

And Netflix's attempt to make the casting more racially diverse than 21st century USA in what is supposed to be ancient (although fictional) Europe is just puzzling and doesn't fit.

I finished season 2. I think it is just okay. First of all, Geralt isn't quite like he is in the games. From my understanding is the he is also not portrayed exactly as he was in the books. He is too closed off and hardly speaks. In the games he tends to remain calm and reserved but still speaks at great lengths at times. There are plenty of conversations in Witcher 2/3. In the TV series he typically grunts or mutters out a few words here and there. I understand if he acts that way up front, but so far he has yet to really speak at length which I find odd.

And Netflix's attempt to make the casting more racially diverse than 21st century USA in what is supposed to be ancient (although fictional) Europe is just puzzling and doesn't fit.
Just give me more monster fights. The big 'reveal' at season's end, and like 70% of the side-stories, I couldn't care less about.

Give.me.monster.fights

Back