The Witcher First Boss _Retarded

Frosteh

2[H]4U
Possible spoilers ahead.

So I reached the first real boss in The Witcher, the beast you encounter after you essentially put Abigale on trial, you do this long cutscene which has lots of talking/text in it and then instantly after you leave the place sets on fire and the hound turns up with about 8-10 little hounds to cover his ass.

So the scene loads, 5 hounds jump on abigale and kill her before I can switch from tourch to sword, so she's dead, the rest then gank me, I set sword instantly to group attack and kill all the little hounds fairly quickly, then I fight the main hound which does some attack which makes me stand there unable to do anything for about 8 seconds, then him and all his respawning minions rape me until im dead.

Tried all the combat styles, tried using potions, tried healing that does no good as the time it takes to drink a health potion is the time it takes for you to die from attacks, so thats essentially useless.

Course you cant save at the start, you have to reload the cut scene and skips through all the chat and text, blah blah blah fucking blah, start the fight, and repeat as above, just get owned within a few minutes.

I loved the game up until this point and knew the combat was a bit stale but had got through the entire game so far without dieing defeating most enemies without much issue, but now without any kind of warning the difficulty ramps up so that I died trying the same thing 20x in a row, this sort of thing just drags me right out of the character and makes me very aware im playing a computer game, because what fucking hero dies and re-loads the same section 20 times in a row?

So what the hell? How is this possible? I don't get it...unless someone can help me here theres no point in me trying it again I can't think of any other combination of attacks I can do to get past this part. Might as well just uninstall and never even consider this game again...so dissapointed that a dev team that appear to have got so much right can royally screw their own game over in just 1 battle, and FORCE yes FORCE you to watch the same bloody cutscene 20x rather than letting you save after it, it's so utterly retarded.

Drink a Tawny Owl potion and a Swallow potion while the dogs are eating Abigail. Use the group stance to quickly take out the barghests. Use the Aard sign on the Beast to knock him down and try to stab him while he's down. He dies in one shot this way, but it may take you several tries to get him, since he gets up quickly.

If you try Aard but fail to stab the Beast, break away (double tap backward) and run around the edge of the fire, allowing the potions to regenerate your health and endurance. Any time the Beast hits you with the Pain effect (stun, basically) wait until it expires and keep moving until you recover some health. When your health and endurance are up, try to Aard and stab him again. I managed to stab him after about 5 cycles of this.

I do not recommend standing toe-to-toe and trying to take him down with sword attack combos. You will do very little damage, meanwhile he will be tearing you a new one, and more barghests will appear. You may be able to hack him up if you apply Necrophage Oil first, but I didn't have this when I got to this battle. If you're having a lot of trouble with the barghests you can put out their summoning fires with Aard, but you're better off just using the group stance to kill them all when they respawn.

Bosses in The Witcher are not easy. If you try to go toe to toe with them, even with a couple potions up, you will probably die. You have to consider all of your resources, including your signs, to take them down. Remember that a witcher is not a tank; his strength lies in agility and mobility, so keep moving and use your signs to keep from being overwhelmed.

Tried that, he doesn't stun correctly, I stun and goto finish him off and he just does a regular attack on him, keeping abigale alive isn't an option, she dies imediately to 5 hounds...

Your level may be too low. Did you skip a lot of quests? Also, have you put some bronze talent points into the Intelligence skillset? I had a couple of upgrades to Aard, so I was able to knock him down, I just had to be damned quick about following up.

I dont know, I've done most of the side quests apart from maybe 1-2, I've leveled up both the arad things and most of my combat stances, along with my strength.

You know what, if the rest of the bosses are going to be like this I'm not going to bother continuing, theres no point, I feel completely detatched from tha character now, he's not a hero who I control in a fantasy world which is believeable, he's just a bunch of polygons which can respawn everyime I die to a boss, dieing 20x in a row does that to you, I think they've ruined their own game. Even if I get past the boss if the future ones are equally hard I think I'll cash in my chips now and not bother, It just stresses me out, games are supposed to be for fun not to make you die 20x over and watch the same cutscene 20x over.

Everyone is having so much trouble with this....

The second the cutscene ended I stunned the beast w/ aard and one hit him.

Actually dont you want the specter oil? It took me 2 tries but i killed him WITHOUT Aard just used a swallow and some food and the specter oil and just kept doing small runs against him and then running after to regain health also Abigale gets back up after awhile and will heal you when shes up.

Hes stunable. Stun him and then 1 hit ko him. Easiest fight up to that point.

Yup. Took me three tries to figure it out. The hounds he summons dissapear when he dies.

The first time I fought him I got owned. The second time I dodged out of the way, drank some potions and then run around killing the adds. Then I went in to attack the Beast. More adds popped and I did the same again. It wasnt that bad actually. More difficult then anything up to this point, but not too bad.

Then I read you can stun him so I figure I go back and try it out. I tried it and it didnt work the first shot, so I tried again. It worked the second try and thus finished him off. Much easier that way.

I dont like where the fight was placed right after some story. There is no way to ready yourself before the fight. The fight could be fixed if they set you just away from the Beast out of combat so that you can use potions, oils, etc before the fight.

I dont know, I've done most of the side quests apart from maybe 1-2, I've leveled up both the arad things and most of my combat stances, along with my strength.

You know what, if the rest of the bosses are going to be like this I'm not going to bother continuing, theres no point, I feel completely detatched from tha character now, he's not a hero who I control in a fantasy world which is believeable, he's just a bunch of polygons which can respawn everyime I die to a boss, dieing 20x in a row does that to you, I think they've ruined their own game. Even if I get past the boss if the future ones are equally hard I think I'll cash in my chips now and not bother, It just stresses me out, games are supposed to be for fun not to make you die 20x over and watch the same cutscene 20x over.
The rest if the bosses are perfectly tuned. Dont worry about them.

I was playing on normal.

I died.. 3 or 4 times, mostly because I was also trying to keep my unnamed companion alive. I was able to take him out in the end with just Swallow potions... group mode KO'd the adds, wailed on him for a minute, and switched back to group when they respawned. It was a close thing.

Back