The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Will Have 16 Free DLCs

HardOCP News

[H] News
In an open letter to the community, the co-CEO of CD PROJEKT RED announced today that there will be 16 free DLC packs for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Whether or not you are a fan of The Witcher games, it is great to see developers do stuff like this.

We love games. We love collecting them, playing them, and everything connected to that experience. Every time we reach out for a new release, we expect to be taken care of. We expect support if we encounter any problems, we love updates constantly improving the experience, and we feel really special when we receive free content that gives us more than we initially paid for. It doesn’t have to be huge, it can be an awesome skin for a character, or an extra sword, or armor.

Unfortunately this treatment is quite rare these days. As gamers, we nowadays have to hold on tight to our wallets, as surprisingly right after release, lots of tiny pieces of tempting content materialize with a steep price tag attached. Haven’t we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game?

As CD PROJEKT RED, we strongly believe this is not the way it should work and, with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we have decided to do it differently. Cutting to the chase, everyone who buys Wild Hunt will receive 16 specially prepared DLCs absolutely for free, regardless of platform. You don’t have to pre-order, you don’t have to buy any special edition to get them -- if you own a copy of Wild Hunt, they’re yours. This is our way of saying thank you for buying our game.

EA, take note of this. Oh wait, you fuckers are going to keep charging an arm and leg for one DLC.

CD Projekt Red is the gold standard for gaming developers...

how many of the 16 will actually be great though?...can we hope for 8? :eek:

Let me paraphrase with a little license for implication. "We love making games, because it's awesome. We make money so we can afford to make more games. These other guys don't give a shit about games, they care about making money, games are how they happen to do it."

I can boil it down even more! "We like making games, thanks for buying them! Those other guys are a bunch of fuck offs, making them look bad is easy and fun."

They're right.

It would be nice if they were free but if you wanted to you could Pay a few bucks as a way to say thanks. CDPR is awesome :D

CDProjekt has supplanted valve for best game dev (due in a large part because valve is just a digital hat dev now)

Oh man, I so much can't wait to play this game. Think this is going to be the first game I've ever pre-ordered that wasn't made by valve or id.

EA, take note of this. Oh wait, you fuckers are going to keep charging an arm and leg for one DLC.
True, but EA has been giving more stuff away lately. Like the free pool update to The SIMs 4, or Titianfall giving away free game modes, so I think they are slowy getting the message. I am still not buying EA stuff, but it least they seem to be changing, if ever so slightly.

Good for them. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember when this wasn't out of the ordinary.

Yeah, I remember when this was expected of developers of multiplayer games, maybe not 16 but definately continued support with more maps and such.

Oh how I miss those days.

Oh man, I so much can't wait to play this game. Think this is going to be the first game I've ever pre-ordered that wasn't made by valve or id.

I stopped pre-ordering games back during the first Xbox days. Never thought it was worth it. Witcher 3 I pre-ordered just on principle alone. These guys are gaming gold right now. They like making games and they don't nickel and dime their fans. This is one of the two primary reasons I buy all I can on GOG instead of Steam. (DRM free rocks too.) Games like Mass Effect are fun to play, but all the expensive DLC content ruined it for me.

I stopped pre-ordering games back during the first Xbox days. Never thought it was worth it. Witcher 3 I pre-ordered just on principle alone. These guys are gaming gold right now. They like making games and they don't nickel and dime their fans. This is one of the two primary reasons I buy all I can on GOG instead of Steam. (DRM free rocks too.) Games like Mass Effect are fun to play, but all the expensive DLC content ruined it for me.

I generally don't pre-order out of principle. Though Witcher is one of the few games I always felt was worth the full price. I might end up pre-ordering just to show them my support though.

All 16 DLCs are basically the same. Each one gives you a nicely decorated easter egg to hunt for in the wild. Collect them all...

All 16 DLCs are basically the same. Each one gives you a nicely decorated easter egg to hunt for in the wild. Collect them all...

the first batch of DLC actually contains a 'Beard and Hairstyle Set for Geralt'...seriously

While this is certainly not a *bad* thing, it rings a tad hollow to me. 16 DLC packs, all free? If there's actual substance to them, and they're giving them to everyone, doesn't that just make them part of the game? Which means they're likely simple stuff like gear, cosmetic variations(hairstyles, outfits, etc), the sort of thing that doesn't really matter to the game.

Honestly, I don't mind games charging for DLC, even when it's in small chunks, if it means I have greater control over which DLC items I buy instead of having to buy a big pack of stuff to get the one thing I'd actually use. I only have three concerns when it comes to DLC. 1) Make sure that the base game is fulfilling all by itself, so that the DLC feels like an add-on, not like I'm paying to finish what I started. 2) If it's a multiplayer game, try to avoid situations where buying DLC provides a game-breaking advantage over people who haven't. If this means segregating players into different zones, so be it. 3) And this is probably most important, the price of the DLC should be reasonable for the amount and quality of the content I'm getting. Charging me 10 bucks for 6 more hours of missions with an expansion to an RPG is one thing. Charging me 5 bucks for a dozen costumes in a fighting game, now that's a rip-off.

While this is certainly not a *bad* thing, it rings a tad hollow to me. 16 DLC packs, all free? If there's actual substance to them, and they're giving them to everyone, doesn't that just make them part of the game? Which means they're likely simple stuff like gear, cosmetic variations(hairstyles, outfits, etc), the sort of thing that doesn't really matter to the game.

Honestly, I don't mind games charging for DLC, even when it's in small chunks, if it means I have greater control over which DLC items I buy instead of having to buy a big pack of stuff to get the one thing I'd actually use. I only have three concerns when it comes to DLC. 1) Make sure that the base game is fulfilling all by itself, so that the DLC feels like an add-on, not like I'm paying to finish what I started. 2) If it's a multiplayer game, try to avoid situations where buying DLC provides a game-breaking advantage over people who haven't. If this means segregating players into different zones, so be it. 3) And this is probably most important, the price of the DLC should be reasonable for the amount and quality of the content I'm getting. Charging me 10 bucks for 6 more hours of missions with an expansion to an RPG is one thing. Charging me 5 bucks for a dozen costumes in a fighting game, now that's a rip-off.

It might ring hollow if CD Projekt Red didn't have a history of providing updates and add on content for free on the two previous games. Not once have they charged more for content on a game they have released.

Wow, talk about not being able to please some people.

Well, with Witcher 2 much of the DLC came after the game had been out for awhile, and added not just cosmetic changes but added a new game mode, new areas to explore etc... Sure you could say "it was just part of the game" so is any DLC. The difference is this stuff came out months after the game was out, rather than a bunch of shit right at launch that you need to purchase as separate from the game or hey pay this other way higher amount if you want all the shit that is apart of the game.

After reading this I prefer bought it in Steam. I love the first 2 and have faith in thus one but this is great to hear.

Waiting for $2.50 DLC that enables "launching of game 10 times" then you have to buy a refill ...

Yeah, I have similar feelings. I wish developers would just include this stuff in the games from the get-go and then spend more time on actually fixing/patching the games instead of on future DLC.

Not to say that CD Projekt Red is a bad developer, quite the contrary. But this announcement does reek a little bit of pandering to the DLC generation.

:facepalm:

- Maybe this additional content isn't actually done yet, and they don't want to delay the game even further.
- Maybe the videogame business is extremely competitive and cutthroat, and a trickle of free DLC's over several months is a way to prolong interest in the game in a market where the primary customers are fickle millennials with goldfish attention spans that tend to follow the shiny new thing of the week.

Seriously, get a grip.

eEL2IGq.jpg

I'm 100% convinced that if CDPR decided they would just give this game away free, there would be people complaining about it.

Jon Stewart as Mitch McConnell voice: "Duh.. yup. This game most not be very good, if they're giving it away for... fr- fr- free.. Yup"

I'm 100% convinced that if CDPR decided they would just give this game away free, there would be people complaining about it.

Jon Stewart as Mitch McConnell voice: "Duh.. yup. This game most not be very good, if they're giving it away for... fr- fr- free.. Yup"

The festival of tummy ache and dizzy spells that was U2's free album has poisoned the free stuff market forever. I'll only ever listen to music on overpriced vinyl from now on, my guts may never recover from just a single listen to that...

That THING.

Even though I have no time to play games right now, I'll buy Witcher at full price. 16 Free DLCs? Sounds like how it should be.

The festival of tummy ache and dizzy spells that was U2's free album has poisoned the free stuff market forever. I'll only ever listen to music on overpriced vinyl from now on, my guts may never recover from just a single listen to that...

That THING.

Heh, dat U2 album. Wasn't the big pain point though that it was auto-downloading and eating up storage space? I reckon if a free Witcher3 autodownloaded itself to peoples already constrained SSD's there'd be uproar too, and wouldn't blame em.

Regardless, "no good dead..."

Never ceases to amaze how some people can ignore an entire post, and then trivialize it with a snide remark.

If they really wanted to be an "old school" developer, they'd just release the game complete and not feel the need to point out the 16 (OMG 16 LOLOL) DLCs.

I will still purchase this game, but it's clear what their goal is here.

CD Projekt RED ALWAYS gets my money and my support. And if you like to buy their games on Steam instead of GOG.com, they still give you a free backup copy on GOG.com, so you always have a DRM-free version. I love this company so gawd-damn much. Like a lost remnant from the good old days of true video gaming. Constantly speaking out against DRM and giving us free updates to their games, which is how it should always be. I don't care if it's some tiny bullshit insignificant piece of DLC (like a costume/weapons pack or whatever), or some real legitimate, substantial content. CD Projekt RED handles it right. It's always good to see that there's some companies who care about gaming (and gamers) first and foremost. Mad props to you guys at CDPR. Keep doing your thang, and I'll keep throwing my money at you. You're one of the very rare few who deserve it.

Yea.. no kidding.

I'm not exactly in the know, but don't projects usually have a determined goal? If they are announcing this now, doesn't actually mean it's part of the project (or game). It could and probably is the case of them working on it and then they go, you know what would be cool? Insert DLC 1, 2 and 3.

Though I say that, it could easily be part of the game but they intentionally took it out and did this for good press, but I think that's in the realms of tinfoil hats. Which is odd when I know people have claimed I'm one of those types of people before and I don't think it is.

Nowadays "part of the game" and "took it out to trickle feed to you later" is a blurred line without any clear distinctions. Regardless, we're not going back to the days of a complete game and an expansion pack with 1/3 to 2/3 the content of the original game ever again.

Exactly! :D

Never ceases to amaze how some people can ignore an entire post, and then trivialize it with a snide remark.

If they really wanted to be an "old school" developer, they'd just release the game complete and not feel the need to point out the 16 (OMG 16 LOLOL) DLCs.

I will still purchase this game, but it's clear what their goal is here.

Give me a break, the person I was responding to said basically "This isn't a bad thing....." and then whines and complains about it, and then goes on a rant about paid DLC, this wont be.

CD Projekt Red is the gold standard for gaming developers...

totally agree about CD Projekt Red. Love the Witcher series.

Give me a break, the person I was responding to said basically "This isn't a bad thing....." and then whines and complains about it, and then goes on a rant about paid DLC, this wont be.

I think you might want to re-read that post...I just did, and the first part talks about how announced pre-release DLC should just be in the game in the first place, and the second part starts off with "I don't mind paid DLC", and then talks about different types of DLC (actual gameplay content vs. aesthetic, etc.)

Back