The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

It looks like the update released early?
Indeed

45 gigs too.

sn56s3h.png

ALready crashed once twice - RT is clunky for me for some reason and steam UI is non existent - menu is buggy and my MSI afterburner won't show OSD.

Last edited:
ALready crashed once twice - RT is clunky for me for some reason and steam UI is non existent - menu is buggy and my MSI afterburner won't show OSD.
Same here on all accounts, even the amount of crashes thus far. I’m playing with RT disabled now and it’s stable, and it looks better than my previous modded version as far as I can tell. Just getting to White Orchard so I’m not very far in the game. Honestly I’m just happy to be replaying it.

Same here on all accounts, even the amount of crashes thus far. I’m playing with RT disabled now and it’s stable, and it looks better than my previous modded version as far as I can tell. Just getting to White Orchard so I’m not very far in the game. Honestly I’m just happy to be replaying it.

Yeah - RT seems to be crashing for sure. They'll need to fix that. But yes, with RT off, the game definitely looks better regardless - ULTRA+ runs smooth as butter at 3440x1440p on my 3080. It may just be my imagination, but I feel Roach moves a bit more fluid now. It's not as clunky as prior times of playing. Maybe it's just me. Good to be back playing as Geralt though.

Been playing about half an hour.

I had the game heavily HEAVILY modified for graphics and it always ran 180-220fps. With this update, I was getting 40fps with RT in novigrad. Lame. And this update is alot darker. Just turned of RT, not worth it. MSI afterburner overlay not working. Cant even monitor my performance. Not happy the trojan horsed a CDPR launcher, also lame. anyway.

With RT off, in Fayrlund in Skellige, I am getting 98fps. The game legit does not look better than my modded game. I want to go back.

Edit: I love what they have done with cutscenes, my current playthrough is on the Woodland Spirit quest in Skellige and its very cool to see what they've done to make each line of dialogue have some impact.

Last edited:
Been playing about half an hour.

I had the game heavily HEAVILY modified for graphics and it always ran 180-220fps. With this update, I was getting 40fps with RT in novigrad. Lame. And this update is alot darker. Just turned of RT, not worth it. MSI afterburner overlay not working. Cant even monitor my performance. Not happy the trojan horsed a CDPR launcher, also lame. anyway.

With RT off, in Fayrlund in Skellige, I am getting 98fps. The game legit does not look better than my modded game. I want to go back
Agreed on adding the launcher portion - can't even get Steam overlay to come up in game - it works in the launcher though, lol.

The game feels like a janky stuttery mess to me even at 1440p. I cant get afterburner to work in the game so I have no idea what my actual performance is like. Trying to use the controller and just the slightest movement nearly spins him around. Just trying to use the menu is a mess on controller as it skips over stuff and alters settings I am not even trying to alter. And FFS it keeps switching between m/kb and controller icons on the screen for no reason. I don't even have the energy to fool with this game anymore tonight.

The game feels like a janky stuttery mess to me even at 1440p. I cant get afterburner to work in the game so I have no idea what my actual performance is like. Trying to use the controller and just the slightest movement nearly spins him around. Just trying to use the menu is a mess on controller as it skips over stuff and alters settings I am not even trying to alter. And FFS it keeps switching between m/kb and controller icons on the screen for no reason. I don't even have the energy to fool with this game anymore tonight.
Pretty much the same. The game runs fine, on paper. I'm getting 100+ fps with everything maxed out, but it's stuttering badly. And in terms of the controller, there's massive input lag or something.

Apparently the game still doesn't support 21:9, what an absolute joke.
3440x1400, ultra+ or whatever settings, RT enabled, and DLSS Quality pulls a whopping 30ish FPS on my 2080 Ti. Yet somehow looks far worse than other demanding RT titles that run better (Metro Exodus, Control, Watch Dogs Legion, etc). Very impressive.
HDR supposedly automatically enables... if you have HDR enabled in Windows. I no longer get an AutoHDR notification when launching the game with HDR enabled in Windows, so I guess it's outputting HDR... No HDR on/off toggle in the menu. No HDR calibration menu; apparently they claim that will come in a later patch. Nothing short of pathetic. Looks like shit in game. But I guess this is what I should have expected, considering how badly they screwed up HDR in CP2077...

Game supports 21:9, don't know where you get that from. I'm playing it right now at that aspect ratio/resolution. Yes, the cut-scenes and pre-rendered movies won't display in that (like most games), but i'm playing in 21:9 just fine.

And yes, a 2080ti these days is going to be miserable for raytracing.

I have a 3090 at 1440p on an i7-9700K, enabled all RT features and set it to RT Ultra preset, game looks like it's barely running 30FPS. I dropped options from Ultra+ setting down to Ultra, performance might have improved, but it wasn't very noticeable. I closed the game, checked the performance graph in MSI Afterburner and it wasn't even slamming the GPU, maybe 90% utilization.

I didn't get back in and tweak anything yet.

I have a 3090 at 1440p on an i7-9700K, enabled all RT features and set it to RT Ultra preset, game looks like it's barely running 30FPS. I dropped options from Ultra+ setting down to Ultra, performance might have improved, but it wasn't very noticeable. I closed the game, checked the performance graph in MSI Afterburner and it wasn't even slamming the GPU, maybe 90% utilization.

You aren't getting a decent framerate if you aren't going to enable at least some level of DLSS. Bare minimum you should at least be using DLSS quality since you're getting free AA along with a performance uplift.

You aren't getting a decent framerate if you aren't going to enable at least some level of DLSS. Bare minimum you should at least be using DLSS quality since you're getting free AA along with a performance uplift.
4K, Ultra+ settings, DLSS Quality, RT off, HDR enabled looks pretty damn great to me. I don’t plan on touching settings from here, I’ll just play the game. I might try a lighting mod (Super Turbo Lighting or Phoenix Lighting) at some point for the hell of it.

The DX11 version works with the OSD programs but the RT version (I guess DX12) doesn't. I don't have an HDR setting at all in my options so I am guessing it is off. I am guessing the "launcher" is only part of the steam release, it isn't present in the standalone GoG version. You can probably just bypass it by running the exe directly from the installed location.

The DX11 version works with the OSD programs but the RT version (I guess DX12) doesn't. I don't have an HDR setting at all in my options so I am guessing it is off. I am guessing the "launcher" is only part of the steam release, it isn't present in the standalone GoG version. You can probably just bypass it by running the exe directly from the installed location.
Did you turn HDR on in the Windows display settings?

I downloaded the update last night. Playing at 3440x1440 on ultra+ settings with all RT settings on I was getting 50-70 fps at the begining of the game in the white orchids village. But there was massive stutters that was a gamebreaker for me. I'll wait for further updates before trying this version. This was on a 3080ti and 9900K at 5ghz.

Did you turn HDR on in the Windows display settings?
Yeah it's on. There is just no option showing up in the Witcher game. I double checked and loaded up AC Odyssey to make sure and it was on so it seems at least that my settings on Windows is correct.

This update is free and those mods are free, why would they need to give them compensation?

the update is only free for those that own the game already...so for the people that do not currently own it then they would need to purchase it and the mods are included so theoretically it would be nice if they got some compensation

If your GPU is only at 90% utilization. Means your CPU is limiting your graphics power.....usually

Thar 9700k is kind of ancient now in hardware years imo.

Runs fine, ultra'd out on my tablet and xg mobile @ 3440 x 1440... Only thing I had to turn off was RT. Makes sense since it's an RX6850m xt... I am running well over 60 FPS, so hoping after some patch fixing that maybe I can run low RT? Either way, it looks great with the new updates.

Trying to figure out how to get my cross-platform saves working.

Runs fine, ultra'd out on my tablet and xg mobile @ 3440 x 1440... Only thing I had to turn off was RT. Makes sense since it's an RX6850m xt... I am running well over 60 FPS, so hoping after some patch fixing that maybe I can run low RT? Either way, it looks great with the new updates.

Trying to figure out how to get my cross-platform saves working.
You probably need to start the game with the new patch on your other platforms so the saves get uploaded, first.

So does anyone know if the console versions now have the NPC population the PC version had? It use to be the towns were empty in comparison, but with stronger hardware, I wonder if they now match up.

So does anyone know if the console versions now have the NPC population the PC version had? It use to be the towns were empty in comparison, but with stronger hardware, I wonder if they now match up.
CDPR said there is denser population on the console version. I can fire it up on my Series X to check it out.

DX11 version of the game just crashes on launch for me.

I continued playing for about two hours last night, it ran acceptably well on a god damned 4090 but it looks worse than I did with my mod suite and performs at 1/3 the FPS. With my sig rig, at 3440x1440p, RT off, everything else maxed, most scenes were 70-90 fps when they used to be 180-220. This game ran similarly poorly on a 1080ti back when that was my card and I didnt understand it then. Cyberpunk has always ran poorly, I just wish CDPR would build an efficient engine, for once.

I appreciate the snappier menu, snappier loading times, and cinematic cutscenes, but the 21:9 support in cutscenes was taken away, and my favorite mod (all lore books) is also bricked.

Last edited:
This seems like a really excellent comparison video, much better than the promotional videos. Honestly, think I'm going to shelve this for a year and come back once its fixed and I can afford a real RT card. I just got the first two books in the mail, should be able to finish all 8 by then.

FYI, in the games Steam properties you can select Beta: Classic 1.32 to roll-back....

Which I did, but it still somehow managed to break my mods :(

Sooooo I straight up uninstalled and guess I'll wait a couple months for CDPR to sort this nonsense out

Luckily seems to be running fine for me, except for one bug.

The same bug i've had with this game for at least FOUR different builds.

After a long play session the game will just sit as a running process with the music playing, and won't close out on it's own. So annoying.

This sounds good enough to tempt me into playing this thing again Once I have a new system. I never finished the mainquest or did the DLC.

Might give this firstperson mod a go, hope it still works in the updated version. Video footage looks awesome.

when I find the base story boring and the quest completion system broken,the vast availability of prettifying moods does nothing without a Total Conversion option in the mix

it been eight years since release, and still no options for new content

they really should have made this a beta opt-in download on Day 1 and worked out the kinks...forcing everyone to download it and mess up their game is a crappy move

they really should have made this a beta opt-in download on Day 1 and worked out the kinks...forcing everyone to download it and mess up their game is a crappy move

It should've been a separate install like Skyrim: Special Edition

.... At least, that's what I expected to happen :(

Back