The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

I don't know if this is comprehensive, but this article has at least some of the mods added. https://www.eurogamer.net/heres-eve...cher-3-next-gen-patch-while-at-cd-projekt-red
Mods made by the community include World Map Fixes by Terg500; Nitpicker's Patch - Various Visual Fixes by chuckcash; The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project by HalkHogan; FCR3 - Immersion and Gameplay Tweaks by Andrzej Kwiatkowski; and HDMR - HD Monsters Reworked Mod by Denroth.
One nice change I saw in the article is that you can fall further before you trigger damage.

The biggest issue I had with Witcher 3 was the terrible named but also leveled "unique" loot and weapons. I remember doing quests and thinking, "wow sweet a unique special weapon", only to find it useless about an hour later. Similarly for armors and such - I really found that so immersion breaking I quit playing the game eventually :/ Maybe that will be fixed also?

The biggest issue I had with Witcher 3 was the terrible named but also leveled "unique" loot and weapons. I remember doing quests and thinking, "wow sweet a unique special weapon", only to find it useless about an hour later. Similarly for armors and such - I really found that so immersion breaking I quit playing the game eventually :/ Maybe that will be fixed also?
You can level up your gear with crafting and keep that unique stuff at top of the pile.

New Game +

Or

Start all over?

My Geralt is level level 54. I’m thinking new game +. Any negatives to that?

Looking forward to a Witcher 3 Wild Hunt new game. With the added DLC and mods it oughta be a wild ride.

New The Witcher 3 next-gen footage was shared online today, providing a new look at the new version of the game ahead of next week's launch...the new footage showcases some combat sequences set in Velen, Skellige, and Toussaint with the new camera settings, which make fighting enemies look more epic than ever...

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1600445149867229186

That's zoomed in way too close. Can't see anything around you. Hopefully you can revert to the original camera angles.

You can have the old distance or new one and can have it change depending on what you're doing at the time. (Taken from CDPR's stream)
camera.png

This sounds good enough to tempt me into playing this thing again Once I have a new system. I never finished the mainquest or did the DLC.

Might give this firstperson mod a go, hope it still works in the updated version. Video footage looks awesome.

Last edited:
It is going to be interesting to see the benchmarks on this thing once all the new settings are cranked up to the max.

It is going to be interesting to see the benchmarks on this thing once all the new settings are cranked up to the max.
Is DLSS something that can just be used on any game? Or does the game have to be programmed to take advantage?

Looking forward to it - it's been a couple of years since my last playthrough. I originally played through it with a KB+M, but, I've been playing a lot of open world games with a controller lately (Elden Ring, GoW Ragnarok, Ghost of Tsushima) - I've really come to enjoy using a gamepad. I'm finding I don't cramp up as much, and I don't really need the mouse aim for these melee focused games.

Is DLSS something that can just be used on any game? Or does the game have to be programmed to take advantage?
It has to be added to the game because it requires temporal data. You can kind of get a slightly worse DL Upscaling experience in games that have a Image Scaling/Internal Resolution slider and using Nvidias DLDSR.

It has to be added to the game because it requires temporal data. You can kind of get a slightly worse DL Upscaling experience in games that have a Image Scaling/Internal Resolution slider and using Nvidias DLDSR.

can't DLDSR be used in any game through the NVCP?...why does the internal resolution slider matter?

can't DLDSR be used in any game through the NVCP?...why does the internal resolution slider matter?
Yea DLDSR can be used in any game. But I was talking about using it like DLSS, with a lower internal resolution rather than a higher internal resolution. Some games can look better using DLDSR and the internal resolution slider and its more flexible than NIS. But NIS generally looks ok at 77%. The algorithm on DLDSR does leave softer edges than NIS though so its probably not any good on lower than 4K displays.

Last edited:
It's supposedly easy to integrate, now. Since DLSS 2.0 developers no longer have to train the algorithm for their specific game. I don't know exactly what the integration process is, but I do know NVIDIA now has a database of both generic and specific frame data that they can pull from and update game profiles in the GeForce driver itself, which greatly eases the burden on developers when implementing DLSS. It's why you can generally grab a newer version of the DLSS DLL from another game and drop it into a game's folder that has a minimum of DLSS 2.0 support and reap the benefits.

Patch notes for "next gen" upgrade. It will go live at midnight UTC on Wednesday. That is 19:00 EST Tuesday for those of us on the east coast US.
https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/47105/next-gen-update-list-of-changes

PC and Next-Gen Exclusives
  • Added ray traced global illumination and ambient occlusion.
  • Additionally, PC players with compatible hardware have an additional option to turn on ray traced reflections and shadows.
  • Added various mods and mod-inspired content to the game to improve visuals and overall game quality. We’ve included some community-made favorites in addition to our own modifications in areas such as environment and cutscene improvements, realistic pavements, and many decoration upgrades.
  • Community-made and community-inspired mods include:
    • The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project by HalkHogan
    • HD Monsters Reworked by Denroth
    • Immersive Real-time Cutscenes by teiji25
    • Nitpicker's Patch by chuckcash
    • World Map Fixes by Terg500
  • Upscaled texture to 4K for various characters, including Geralt, Yennefer, Triss, Ciri, Eredin and more.
  • All main characters, including Geralt, now cast high-resolution self-shadowing even outside cutscenes. Additionally, hair clipping through armor as well as some other armor-clipping issues have been fixed.
  • Environmental improvements:
    • Added a new weather type – "Gray Sky"
    • Updated sky textures
    • Vegetation and water improvements
    • Various mesh improvements
    • Improved some select VFX
    • Updated global environmental lighting
  • Added AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution (FSR) 2.1
  • Added photo mode, allowing players to take stunning pictures within the world of The Witcher 3.
  • Added the option to pause the game during cutscenes.
  • Added an alternative camera option that's closer to the player's character and that reacts more dynamically to combat and movement. You can find this new setting in Options → Gameplay under Exploration, Combat, and Horseback Camera Distance.
PC-Specifc
  • Added “ULTRA+” graphical settings on PC, which significantly increases the visual fidelity of the game. The graphical settings available on ULTRA+ affect:
    • Number of background characters
    • Shadow quality
    • Grass density
    • Texture quality
    • Foliage visibility range
    • Terrain quality
    • Water quality
    • Detail level
  • Added DLSS 3 support. Available only on compatible hardware.
Online Features
  • Added a cross-progression feature between platforms. Your latest saves will be automatically uploaded to the cloud so you can easily pick up where you left off on other platforms. Cross-progression provides the latest save for every save type. This feature becomes available after you log into your account.
  • By signing up to MY REWARDS in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, players can receive:
    • Swords of the Nine-Tailed Vixen
    • White Tiger of the West Armor
    • Dol Blathanna Armor Set
    • Roach Card
Detailed information on how to redeem the rewards will be available from Dec 14th, 1 AM CET at thewitcher.com/my-rewards.

Additional Content
  • Added a new side quest, In The Eternal Fire's Shadow, in Velen. Rewards are inspired by Neftlix's The Witcher series.
  • Added an alternative appearance for Dandelion inspired by Netflix's The Witcher series. You can enable it in Options → Gameplay.
  • Added an alternative Nilfgaardian Armor set inspired by Netflix's The Witcher series. You can enable it in Options → Gameplay.
  • Added Chinese and Korean voice-over. Availability on consoles varies by region.
  • Various improvements and changes to Russian voice-over, including fixes for accelerated / slowed lines in the vast majority of scenes.
Quality of Life Changes
  • Added a Quick Sign Casting option. It allows signs to be switched and cast without opening the radial menu. You can find it in Options → Gameplay.
  • Added a new default map filter. The new filter hides some icons such as "?" and boat icons in order to reduce icon clutter on the map. These icons can be turned back on with the “All” map mode toggle.
  • Adjusted the minimum height for fall damage, allowing the player to survive falls from higher heights.
  • Herbs can now be instantly looted with a single interaction – without the additional loot window.
  • Added options that dynamically hide the minimap and quest objectives when not in combat or using Witcher senses. You can find it in Options → Video → HUD Configuration → Hide minimap during Exploration and Hide objectives during Exploration.
  • Added the option to slow walk when playing with a controller. You can now slow walk by lightly pushing the left stick forward.
  • Added an alternative sprint mode option when playing with a controller. It's activated by tapping the left stick. You can find it in Options → Control Settings.
  • Added an option to make target-lock unnaffected by camera inversion. You can find it in Options → Control Settings.
  • Improved the radial menu so bombs, bolts and pocket items can now be switched dynamically without opening the inventory.
  • Added the option to scale the font size for subtitles, NPC chatter and dialogue choices. You can find it in Options → Video → HUD Configuration.
  • Added various other small fixes, tweaks, and quality of life changes, including a few secrets to be discovered by players.
Gameplay
  • Added the mod Full Combat Rebalance 3 by Flash_in_the_flesh which includes balance changes and various fixes to gameplay. We took a curated approach to this mod, with some elements further tweaked from what you’ll find in the mod by default, while other elements were omitted.
  • Scavenger Hunt: Wolf School Gear - Fixed an issue where the chest at the Signal Tower couldn't be opened.
  • From Ofier's Distant Shores - Fixed an issue where the diagram in the chest at the bandit's hideout could be missing.
  • Hard Times - Fixed an issue where Geralt couldn't talk or give the letter to the blacksmith.
  • Swift as the Western Winds - Fixed an issue where the quest could sometimes fail despite winning the horse race.
  • Echoes of the Past - Fixed an issue where, after defeating the Foglets, the quest could get stuck and it wouldn't be possible to talk to Yennefer.
  • Wine Wars - Fixed an issue where the quest couldn't be completed if the player destroyed one of the required monster nests during exploration.
  • Fixed an issue where clearing the Ruined Inn Abandoned Site situated on the southern shore of Ard Skellig was not possible in certain scenarios.
  • Fixed an issue where the Grandmaster Wolven Set wouldn't require Mastercrafted items.
  • Various small fixes to quests and cutscenes.
Remember – these are just the highlights! There are lots of changes in this update, so check them out for yourself in the game!

The GOTY Edition is currently on sale for $10 on GOG, if you somehow don't have the game yet.
https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_game_of_the_year_edition

PC-Specifc
  • Added “ULTRA+” graphical settings on PC, which significantly increases the visual fidelity of the game. The graphical settings available on ULTRA+ affect:
    • Number of background characters
    • Shadow quality
    • Grass density
    • Texture quality
    • Foliage visibility range
    • Terrain quality
    • Water quality
    • Detail level
  • Added DLSS 3 support. Available only on compatible hardware.

Probably the most important feature to be added for me. Ultra + eh? Turning 2015 into 2017/8 - maybe on par with RDR2?

Back when TW3 came out - I had a shit computer and could basically run it on low to mid at 1080p with maybe 40ish frames, so ended up playing it mostly on PS4.

Probably the most important feature to be added for me. Ultra + eh? Turning 2015 into 2017/8 - maybe on par with RDR2?

Back when TW3 came out - I had a shit computer and could basically run it on low to mid at 1080p with maybe 40ish frames, so ended up playing it mostly on PS4.
I played this game winter of 2015 on a GTX 780 on a 24 inch monitor lol.

Patch notes for "next gen" upgrade. It will go live at midnight UTC on Wednesday. That is 19:00 EST Tuesday for those of us on the east coast US
  • Community-made and community-inspired mods include:
    • The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project by HalkHogan
    • HD Monsters Reworked by Denroth
    • Immersive Real-time Cutscenes by teiji25
    • Nitpicker's Patch by chuckcash
    • World Map Fixes by Terg500

do the creators of those mods get paid?

I doubt it, since CDPR owns the game. They could have gotten compensation, but CDPR is not required to give them anything.
I agree compensation must have been given otherwise there would likely be a court case and for sure negative backlash, regardless of written contract.
The onus is on CDPR to do the "right thing" to keep everyone happy, especially knowing recent public experiences.

I agree compensation must have been given otherwise there would likely be a court case and for sure negative backlash, regardless of written contract.
The onus is on CDPR to do the "right thing" to keep everyone happy, especially knowing recent public experiences.
This update is free and those mods are free, why would they need to give them compensation?

This update is free and those mods are free, why would they need to give them compensation?
It might help to read my post again.
If you disagree with it thats fair enough, but my reasoning was clearly stated.
I suspect part or the whole of the compensation is an offer to participate in future developments.

Last edited:

I suspect you are tying to apply US civil law to the EU (CD Project RED are located in Poland, Europe) and that leads to you making an erroneous conclusion.
The payment for a free mod should be nothing more than a mention in the credits.

There is no onus on anyone or any company to provide compensation to modders, doubly so for a free product. You are just making an assumption.

You get credit, thats the compensation.

If public experiences meant jack then EA, Activision, and Microsoft wouldn't exist. The right thing for a company to do is not the same as the right thing for a person or even local small business to do.

I suspect you are tying to apply US civil law to the EU (CD Project RED are located in Poland, Europe) and that leads to you making an erroneous conclusion.
The payment for a free mod should be nothing more than a mention in the credits.
Naa, I'm saying that what their customers think/feel matters, and they know it.

Naa, I'm saying that what their customers think/feel matters, and they know it.
I am a customer with a different opinion.
Be careful to make absolute arguments based on a subjective personal feeling and not objective data.

I am a customer with a different opinion.
Be careful to make absolute arguments based on a subjective personal feeling and not objective data.
Hence why accountability is severly lacking once a company reaches critical mass. Equifax and Transunion are two other examples in an unrelated industry.

There are enough gamers that 'doing the right thing' doesn't matter as much as doing whats profitable now. Gamers have also shown epic levels of fickleness and that they'll buy anything from anyone if it appeals at all to them. *I include myself in this, I hate EA, but if they make something good that appeals to me, I'll bite.

CDPR won't even be blemished by CP2077 in 5 years, they may even redeem it with next years expansion.

As for testing the limits of gamers, nVidia seems to be pretty darn close to them if they exist given the poor sales of the 4080, maybe.

Hence why accountability is severly lacking once a company reaches critical mass. Equifax and Transunion are two other examples in an unrelated industry.

There are enough gamers that 'doing the right thing' doesn't matter as much as doing whats profitable now. Gamers have also shown epic levels of fickleness and that they'll buy anything from anyone if it appeals at all to them. *I include myself in this, I hate EA, but if they make something good that appeals to me, I'll bite.

CDPR won't even be blemished by CP2077 in 5 years, they may even redeem it with next years expansion.

As for testing the limits of gamers, nVidia seems to be pretty darn close to them if they exist given the poor sales of the 4080, maybe.
Those companies are from the US and not something I am familiar with although I am aware of the large difference in corporate culture/laws between the EU and the US and I suspect that is playing in here.

For me on PC the launch of CP2077 was fine unlike on the launch on consoles and all the drama was not something I paid any attention but then again I do not own any consoles and have no plans to change that so it is really outside my scope of focus.
The fact that they are making a free remastered version of TW3 with all 4 major raytracing options is far more important to me as I thought TW3 was EOS.

I will refrain from commenting about gamers as the spectrum of those span very wide and often it is a small vocal minority that creates far to much noise compared to their numbers and I would rather game than fight "windmills" invain.

Those companies are from the US and not something I am familiar with although I am aware of the large difference in corporate culture/laws between the EU and the US and I suspect that is playing in here.

For me on PC the launch of CP2077 was fine unlike on the launch on consoles and all the drama was not something I paid any attention but then again I do not own any consoles and have no plans to change that so it is really outside my scope of focus.
The fact that they are making a free remastered version of TW3 with all 4 major raytracing options is far more important to me as I thought TW3 was EOS.

I will refrain from commenting about gamers as the spectrum of those span very wide and often it is a small vocal minority that creates far to much noise compared to their numbers and I would rather game than fight "windmills" invain.
when the spectum gets wide enough it doesn't matter what individuals think anymore, thats my point.

when the spectum gets wide enough it doesn't matter what individuals think anymore, thats my point.
Ah, I concur with your assesment indeed.
But generally people are biased to give their opnion far more power in the world than it has in reality.
We are kinda biased to feel more important that the fact is.

I never played Witcher, and now i wanna try this new updated version for my first try.

Hopefully I can play at these Ultra max settings and looks good on OLED ?

Anyone have a link to buy on Steam? Do I just purchase Witcher 3, or is there a new release to purchase tomorrow?

I never played Witcher, and now i wanna try this new updated version for my first try.

Hopefully I can play at these Ultra max settings and looks good on OLED ?

Anyone have a link to buy on Steam? Do I just purchase Witcher 3, or is there a new release to purchase tomorrow?

Just purchase the existing version on Steam, the new update will release as a patch for it.

Not sure what the current price is, but the game regularly goes on sale, so if it's not on sale, you might want to wait.

Back