The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Next-gen update December 14.

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1592177211481944068

FhiQM6qX0AAVEKW?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

I tried playing the Witcher a few times and couldn't ever get into it. I hated the controls, combat, etc. I found the Witcher 2 to be tedious and never made it much further than the tutorial. I own the Witcher III but I've never played it. I think I picked up the first two games on some sale and the third one came with a video card I bought if I recall correctly.

I tried playing the Witcher a few times and couldn't ever get into it. I hated the controls, combat, etc. I found the Witcher 2 to be tedious and never made it much further than the tutorial. I own the Witcher III but I've never played it. I think I picked up the first two games on some sale and the third one came with a video card I bought if I recall correctly.
The first game is basically unplayable the gameplay is so bad, but it has the best story & atmosphere of the bunch. Witcher 2 combat is pretty similar to Witcher 3, but the third game is a bit better. The game really doesn't do anything great in terms of gameplay, it's just a cool world with fun lore and stories. I'm going to check out the update, but I don't know that I can sink 200 hours in playing through the whole thing again. Some of the side missions are absolutely incredible to witness visually and story wise. One tip for the witcher 3 is there's an alternate control mode that makes it feel less wonky in the settings menu.

disappointing that the ray-tracing update will be delivered via a patch on PC...I wanted a new version (exe) of the game...a complete ground up rebuild of the game with ray-tracing like with Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition...CDPR had to take control of the development for this new update a few months back as they were not happy with the 3rd party studios work on it...I'm not sure this is going to be as amazing as people are hoping...it'll be an improvement but probably not a huge one

Witcher.png

Last edited:
disappointing that the ray-tracing update will be delivered via a patch on PC...I wanted a new version (exe) of the game...a complete ground up rebuild of the game with ray-tracing like with Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition...CDPR had to take control of the development for this new update a few months back as they were not happy with the 3rd party studios work on it...I'm not sure this is going to be as amazing as people are hoping...it'll be an improvement but probably not a huge one

View attachment 526695
I understand where you’re coming from but I’m excited. I’ve been looking for a reason to replay this. I’m excited for all of it but especially Hearts of Stone.

I honestly didn't mind the combat in the third game but I can agree it's... wonky. It's definitely not like valheim or something where you expect to have some fine tune control though. If you still want to give it a run through, try out this mod that modifies the combat heavily to make it more like what they demo'd before release: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4525?tab=description

I honestly didn't mind the combat in the third game but I can agree it's... wonky. It's definitely not like valheim or something where you expect to have some fine tune control though. If you still want to give it a run through, try out this mod that modifies the combat heavily to make it more like what they demo'd before release: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4525?tab=description
The Witcher 3 is definitely a button masher if you specialize in melee combat. If you try to be strategic in the harder difficulties with nothing but melee, you're going to have a bad time.

Anyone know if the update will include HDR support on PC? I can’t seem to find info on it, may be missing it.

If you don't want to sign into Google:
https://piped.mha.fi/watch?v=nBT2SP21f3Q

Does that really look better than what we have now with the PC version? Is this just a console version update?

I mean the 2015 version out of the box looks like this already on a gaming PC with max settings. I just loaded it up to check.
1669227254981.png

AND

looks even better with Windows HDR on, but doesn't translate through the Windows 11 print screen screenshot function. (HDR shows a washed out screenshot - that doesn't look at all like it does in game)

Last edited:
Does that really look better than what we have now with the PC version? Is this just a console version update?
The textures and models look better than the base game on PC, to me. The ray tracing in the day/night cycle they show is also apparent.

People should go back and play the game without mods lest their opinion be skewed with what we're getting.

The textures and models look better than the base game on PC, to me. The ray tracing in the day/night cycle they show is also apparent.

People should go back and play the game without mods lest their opinion be skewed with what we're getting.
FWIW, I have no mods on mine (in the screenshot above) and didn't play with any in my play through.

The lighting looks entirely different in a good way. The anti-aliasing looks a lot better as well, but not sure if they shot the trailer at 8K then downsampled it.

I’m pretty excited for this update, and it seems like a good time of year to replay the game too. Anyone understand how the update will interact with currently installed mods? I’m assuming I will need to uninstall all mods before playing this.

It’s worth trying this game again even before the remaster update if you’ve got an LG OLED with HDR now. It was updated for HDR somewhere along the way and it really adds a lot to the game in current form.

Picture with my iPhone of the game with HDR on my LG 42” C2 OLED.
1670256115800.jpeg

I maaaay go for another playthrough of this but idk, I’ve ran through the base game + DLC like 3 times. After playing Elden Ring and DS3 I’m guessing I’ll now be bored senselessly by the combat. Will definitely boot it up to see how it looks though.

Last edited:
I want to re-play Witcher 3 RTX but I really want to re-play all 3 games since it's been so long since I played them...then again it might be best to wait for the official Witcher 1 remake and then re-play them all

Reactions: w35t
like this
It’s worth trying this game again even before the remaster update if you’ve got an LG OLED with HDR now. It was updated for HDR somewhere along the way and it really adds a lot to the game in current form.

Picture with my iPhone of the game with HDR on my LG 42” C2 OLED.
View attachment 532003
Is this on PC? In my mind this was a game I played without HDR because it wasn’t available, but now I’m doubting myself. I guess I need to fire the game up tonight and see.

The Witcher 3: PS5 vs Xbox Series X Hands-on- Ray Tracing + 60FPS Modes Tested

Ahead of its full patch roll-out on December 14th, we had a chance to visit CD Projekt Red's offices to try the new PS5 and Xbox Series X release of The Witcher 3...today, its new ray tracing modes are tested, and the 60FPS mode is put through its paces too - with plenty of details on the upcoming PC upgrade included...Tom explores the opening White Orchard segment of the game - with plenty more to show when it releases in full...

Ahead of its full patch roll-out on December 14th, we had a chance to visit CD Projekt Red's offices to try the new PS5 and Xbox Series X release of The Witcher 3...today, its new ray tracing modes are tested, and the 60FPS mode is put through its paces too - with plenty of details on the upcoming PC upgrade included...Tom explores the opening White Orchard segment of the game - with plenty more to show when it releases in full...

More interested in the PC Ultimate graphics mode. Anyone seen a video on that yet? Consoles look like they are just catching up to what PCs already had in that video.

so PS5 and Series X get RT Global Illumination and Ambient Occlusion while PC users get those along with RT reflections and shadows!...nice that the full ray-tracing feature set is exclusive to PC!

so PS5 and Series X get RT Global Illumination and Ambient Occlusion while PC users get those along with RT reflections and shadows!...nice that the full ray-tracing feature set is exclusive to PC!
I mean I don't think they are doing that to puff up PC or crap on the consoles, it is just resources. The current gen consoles aren't bad, but they are miderange GPUs at best and they are AMD which doesn't have any ray tracing acceleration so it hits even harder than it would on an nVidia chip. RT is just heavy hitting stuff, we are just at the edge of it being feasible for realtime.

The Witcher 3 next-gen update will be compatible with some of the most popular mods developed for the previous version of the game, CD Projekt Red confirmed

A list detailing which of the most popular compatible mods has been shared on the publisher's official forums, confirming that mods such as the Over 9000 - Weight Limit Mod, Fast Travel from Anywhere, Super Turbo Lighting Mods, Increased Creature Loot,, and others will be compatible with the new update at launch...all the other non-compatible mods will require updates from their creator to work with the new version of the game...

https://cdn-l-thewitcher.cdprojektr...tcher-3-next-gen-update-mod-compatibility.pdf

They integrated some mods directly into the game, too. I don't think they've released a list of those yet.

Back