The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

I'd been planning a replay for a while, but at this point I probably never will. I sunk something like 200 hours into the game originally and did basically everything there was to do. The plan was to revisit things once I'd mostly forgotten, but Elden Ring has kinda filled that gap for me. The Witcher combat was "good enough" but I never loved it. I think it'll be tough to go back.
Eldon Rings is Witcher 3 level?

the Witcher TV series on Netflix probably got a lot of people interested in playing the games

the Witcher TV series on Netflix probably got a lot of people interested in playing the games
I've owned the game since launch (got it for $36 on gog, but my current mmo at the time was taking all of my time...) but didn't play it. I then eventually rebought it on Steam with the expansions once I heard it was getting an rt patch...

I've owned the game since launch (got it for $36 on gog, but my current mmo at the time was taking all of my time...) but didn't play it. I then eventually rebought it on Steam with the expansions once I heard it was getting an rt patch...

the GoG version will also be getting the RT patch

More interested to hear from someone who LOVED Witcher 3 than a review from one of the unwashed masses.

I consider the Witcher 3 to be an all-time great game. It's in my top 10 of all-time. Elden Ring is up there, too.
The Witcher 3 (1 and 2, too) has a far more defined storyline. The plot occurs in real time and there are very clear objectives, characters, and occurrences.
Elden Ring focuses a lot more on the lore of the world that you discover via reading item descriptions and (occasionally) from NPC conversations. It's way less obtuse than the Souls games, but it's still a long way from the Witcher, Assassin's Creed, etc.
The combat is way more advanced, though. I always felt like the Witcher's combat was "mostly sufficient" but no more than that. Geralt's hit detection with the world was just never quite there. There were also only a few approaches to most situations. With Elden Ring, you can play most fights in a pile of different ways. Not just melee and spellcasting, but via dozens (maybe hundreds) of variations in spells and weapons.

More interested to hear from someone who LOVED Witcher 3 than a review from one of the unwashed masses.
Elden Ring is just not my style of game. I can see how it could be a masterpiece for people that are into that style of game, but I personally need more story in singleplayer games. I need motivation to progress the game and characters beyond just ‘more difficulty/challenging’. I’m sure I’m grossly over simplifying Elden Ring, and I’m sure some people will say the story is there you just have to dig for it, but ultimately it’s not my cup of tea. Games like The Witcher 3 are absolutely 100% my kind of games. This is top 5 for me of all time. I’m looking forward to the next one.

https://nitter.1d4.us/witchergame/status/1527299944834510854
1652973576894.png

Give us something showing the work and game state accomplished so far. Else we can expect this in 2025.

Give us something showing the work and game state accomplished so far. Else we can expect this in 2025.
I'm expecting them to slap raytracing in, use that texture mod that guy made, and slap on dlss and that's it. If they did more i'll be shocked. I still think it'll get delayed to 2023.

I'm expecting them to slap raytracing in, use that texture mod that guy made, and slap on dlss and that's it. If they did more i'll be shocked. I still think it'll get delayed to 2023.

Sad but unfortunately, that's about what I'm expecting..

CDPR's rep has taken a big hit since Cyberpunk 2077...hopefully them returning to something familiar (Witcher 4) will be a return to glory

CDPR's rep has taken a big hit since Cyberpunk 2077...hopefully them returning to something familiar (Witcher 4) will be a return to glory
Have you played it recently? I actually think the game is pretty good now. I didn't buy it until after the 1.5 release and I really enjoyed the experience. Gameplay gets stale after a while if you go hacker like I did though. I played a bit with melee and some of the time slowing augments, got really interesting after that.

Have you played it recently? I actually think the game is pretty good now. I didn't buy it until after the 1.5 release and I really enjoyed the experience. Gameplay gets stale after a while if you go hacker like I did though. I played a bit with melee and some of the time slowing augments, got really interesting after that.

unless CDPR releases an Enhanced Edition I don't see this game ever reaching the heights of the Witcher series...

I don't know how one could say that when it has sold over 18 million copies after 1.5 years. For comparison, The Witcher 3 "only" sold around 13 million copies in the same timeframe. CP2077 is CDPR's fastest selling title to-date.

I don't know how one could say that when it has sold over 18 million copies after 1.5 years. For comparison, The Witcher 3 "only" sold around 13 million copies in the same timeframe. CP2077 is CDPR's fastest selling title to-date.

sales figures aren't the be all end all...same way a movie's box office numbers don't equate to quality...as far as CP2077 I'm sure a large percentage of the numbers came from pre-sales...meaning due to CDPR's rep through their work on the Witcher games...CP2077 is much more divisive as far as quality of the game itself

sales figures aren't the be all end all...same way a movie's box office numbers don't equate to quality...as far as CP2077 I'm sure a large percentage of the numbers came from pre-sales...meaning due to CDPR's rep through their work on the Witcher games...CP2077 is much more decisive as far as quality of the game itself
44% since there were 8 million preorders, which would make the rate of "post launch" sales between the two about the same.

44% since there were 8 million preorders, which would make the rate of "post launch" sales between the two about the same.

attach some links which show what you're saying...anyone can just throw out random numbers...even if the numbers were the same as Witcher 3 post-launch sales it still shows that CP2077 was not as well received

here's a link from a reputable site from April 2022...

"Cyberpunk 2077 put up absolutely massive sales at launch, 13.7 million copies in the first three weeks it was out. But after that? There’s a reason we didn’t hear any numbers until now because things slowed way, way down..."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-2020-for-the-last-15-months/?sh=4b7ac8a969ad

Cyberpunk has been on so many $10 sales, even multiple $5 sales.

Witcher 3, until just recently, still wasn’t regularly on sale for $10.

Before Cyberpunk 2077 (rising)
Cyberpunk 2077 launch December 2020
After Cyberpunk 2077 (falling)

5 yr view
1653076725856.png

3yr view
1653077057953.png

Last edited:
Season 2 of the Netflix series made some major changes from the book but I still liked it a lot...they moved away from the monster-of-the-week standalone stories and focused on the main mythology of the books involving Ciri...looks great in 4K Dolby Vision...the Wild Hunt was also briefly shown

Season 2 of the Netflix series made some major changes from the book but I still liked it a lot...they moved away from the monster-of-the-week standalone stories and focused on the main mythology of the books involving Ciri...looks great in 4K Dolby Vision...the Wild Hunt was also briefly shown
Witcher is based on traditional Slavic folk stories. Many actors in Netflix Witcher series do not resemble Slavic etnicity. This totally breaks the immersion for me and it's a hard pass.

Witcher is based on traditional Slavic folk stories. Many actors in Netflix Witcher series do not resemble Slavic etnicity. This totally breaks the immersion for me and it's a hard pass.

so you think the entire cast should be made up of Polish actors??

so you think the entire cast should be made up of Polish actors??
Polish, Lithuanian, Ukranian, Chez, Slovak, Americans, UK or others that resemble central Europeans etc. Same way if I watched a fantasy drama that depicts rise of fictionary Zulu king I would want those to be represented by Africans not Japanese or people from Tajikistan. Otherwise it just it breaks immersion for me. I grew up as a kid with many of those Slavic stories (hint - I am originally from Central Europe) so watching out of place characters in stories that I read in my childhood is just off-putting to me personally. But we all have our own preferences.

Polish, Lithuanian, Ukranian, Chez, Slovak, Americans, UK or others that resemble central Europeans etc. Same way if I watched a fantasy drama that depicts rise of fictionary Zulu king I would want those to be represented by Africans not Japanese or people from Tajikistan. Otherwise it just it breaks immersion for me. I grew up as a kid with many of those Slavic stories (hint - I am originally from Central Europe) so watching out of place characters in stories that I read in my childhood is just off-putting to me personally. But we all have our own preferences.

which characters do you think do not resemble central Europeans?...you do realize that they come in many colors, shapes and sizes

So dragons, vampires, elves and warewolves: all good.

Black people? that's where the line is drawn.

I think your immersion is not the problem.

It just doesn't fit the lore, source material, or setting. Would you have applauded if black panther had an all white cast despite it being in an African nation where virtually everyone is black, both in the real life continent, and black panther comics? Stop the racist gaslighting.

You totally misunderstand, I read these things in my native language and in some stories we had dragons. Vampires as fictional characters come from Transilvania. Baba Yaga is a classic Slavic character. Unfortunately we did not have Africans in our folk stories. They were not part of my culture - you cant blame me for this. I am pretty sure folk stories in Nigeria do not have Chez or Lithuanian people in them or Baba Yaga for that matter. It may be hard for you to understand that you can appreciate cultures in their original form without being racist. I seek out unique international movies that depict their traditional culture whether that's Japanase, South Korean or African. This does not make me racist. This just makes me curious about cultures that depict their stories in their pure historical form. There is nothing wrong with Americanizing these stories and commercializing them while depicting everything out of context. Hollywood / Netflix have a very successful model of mass manufacturing content with no regard to source material. It's all good. We all have our preferences.

It just doesn't fit the lore, source material, or setting. Would you have applauded if black panther had an all white cast despite it being in an African nation where virtually everyone is black, both in the real life continent, and black panther comics? Stop the racist gaslighting.
The Black Panther had White people in it, and nobody complained. It's main characters were black, but also, the Witcher has almost all-white leads, with a few ethnics thrown in, usually as side characters whose names nobody can remember.

It takes place in a fantasy land that does not exist, based on legends that (I'm pretty sure) don't go into detail about the colour of their characters' skin or shape of their cheekbones.

I'm not trying to gaslight. but there's a difference between "this doesn't represent my culture well" and "This has non-whites and that ruins it for me".

You can say its a small, one-handed shovel. I call it a spade.

The Black Panther had White people in it, and nobody complained. It's main characters were black, but also, the Witcher has almost all-white leads, with a few ethnics thrown in, usually as side characters whose names nobody can remember.

It takes place in a fantasy land that does not exist, based on legends that (I'm pretty sure) don't go into detail about the colour of their characters' skin or shape of their cheekbones.

I'm not trying to gaslight. but there's a difference between "this doesn't represent my culture well" and "This has non-whites and that ruins it for me".

You can say its a small, one-handed shovel. I call it a spade.
The Witcher is based on European lore, not african. If anything, there would maybe be a black slave trader here and there.

Last edited:
The Witcher is based on European lore, not african. If anything, they're would maybe be a black slave trader here and there.
They're is short for "They Are", its confusing to read in your context.
"Their" works better :)

The Witcher is based on European lore, not african. If anything, they're would maybe be a black slave trader here and there.
I think there is, or at least some black merchants. The only Black named character in the show (I can remember) is a witch. Witches are taken/bought/volunteered by the Witch School from all over the fictional world. Same with Yennefer, she was taken from a far away land.

Almost ALL the characters in the show are white, Except those shown to be obviously foreign or non human.

I think there is, or at least some black merchants. The only Black named character in the show (I can remember) is a witch. Witches are taken/bought/volunteered by the Witch School from all over the fictional world. Same with Yennefer, she was taken from a far away land.

Almost ALL the characters in the show are white, Except those shown to be obviously foreign or non human.

the Elf Dara is played by a Black actor and a few of the background Witchers at Kaer Morhen are also Black (Coen)

the Elf Dara is played by a Black actor and a few of the background Witchers at Kaer Morhen are also Black (Coen)

Yeah, if anything that seems like not a lot of characters. and ALL of them are present with the assumption that they were not born locally...

Back