The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

The show is great. Nothing to be embarrassed about. The first season is kinda hard too follow with all the time skipping around.
That is so damn true. I had to watch the whole series like 3 times until I ‘got it’.

I love the show other than that. Sometimes I wish stories would just play out in the order they occur. Everything shouldn’t be Momento.

Think of the show as mostly a set of somewhat disconnected short stories especially in season 1. That’s what the first two books are and that’s roughly what the show follows with a little bit of the first actual novel thrown in. The initial short stories are tough material to make a coherent show out of. Continuity should improve a lot from this point on.

I like the show about as much as I like the games... Not at all, really. Geralt sucks.
Henry Cavill is an amazing Geralt, though.

Witcher is based on Slavic mythology, so having actors that look or mostly resemble Slavs would definitely add to the immersion factor. However, it is a fantasy, so if they feel adding diverse cast that looks out of place then I suppose it's not a big deal since it is a fantasy after all.

The only casting issue I have is with Triss. I’m team Triss in the games, definitely not team Triss in the show.
Same. Not only does she not look the part, but her personality is far off the mark from both the books and the games. For anyone who doesn't know, Triss is described as having chestnut hair and blue eyes in the books versus red hair and green eyes in the games. The actress also looks like she is in her 40s (Anna Shaffer is actually 29 years old) while Triss is in her early 20s.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Every time I start a new game I say I’m gonna go with Yen this time, switch it up for once, but when Triss puts on that green dress at the party I’m like nm, kick rocks Yen.

Same. Not only does she not look the part, but her personality is far off the mark from both the books and the games. For anyone who doesn't know, Triss is described as having chestnut hair and blue eyes in the books versus red hair and green eyes in the games. The actress also looks like she is in her 40s (Anna Shaffer is actually 29 years old) while Triss is in her early 20s.
That's because Netflix needed a more diverse cast, because diversity is our strength. Now go watch the white girl get ploughed by a bbc.

hopefully the rumors of the Witcher 3 RTX version being the first game to use the DirectStorage PC feature are true...

I hope it comes out soon, I have yet to play it and have been holding out for the RTX patch.
Is the Rtx patch only for 30 Series cards or it updates even older cards? I'm still on a 970gtx bc getting any 30 Series is impossible and I'm in que for evga over a yr now lol. I really want to get back into Witcher but would also like to wait and I just grabbed cyberpunk for 19 but don't want to play it with a measly 970...

Is the Rtx patch only for 30 Series cards or it updates even older cards? I'm still on a 970gtx bc getting any 30 Series is impossible and I'm in que for evga over a yr now lol. I really want to get back into Witcher but would also like to wait and I just grabbed cyberpunk for 19 but don't want to play it with a measly 970...
Your card isnt an RTX, the Ray Tracing patch isnt for your card, you dont have the ability to accelerate Ray Tracing.
It might run but at 0.5fps so you can get a screenshot, or wont install / have any effect.

to add to what Nenu said, for nvidia, only 2000 series or 3000 series support ray tracing or other features like dlss. not sure about amd

But I thought this Witcher and Cyberpunk update was more than just ray tracing
That isnt what you asked.
You should be able to read what the patchnotes say as well as we can.

Last edited:
Alright I’m hooked…6+ years after release. I bought the GOTY edition on Steam 2 years ago for $13, played the opening introduction scene, and never came back (distracted by other games). A few nights ago I reinstalled it for the hell of it and it’s pretty damn great. I’m playing with some visual mods (HD Reworked Project, Super Turbo Lighting Mod, etc.) but nothing that affects gameplay. I’m part way through the Barron quest and I feel like I’m at the top of a time-sink rollercoaster about to plunge down.
128 hours later and I have gone through the base game, HoS, and B&W. Wow what an experience. This game is easily in my top 5 of all time. There are many great aspects to this game but I think the thing I appreciate the most is the writing, dialogue, and character development. It all seems grounded in reality, which is a weird thing to say about a game based in a fantasy setting. CDPR are very skilled at telling a good story and keeping it feeling realistic, and humanizing the story. I like that most characters are not black & white good or evil. They are shades of gray and are imperfect. It’s the same concept TLOU games pull off so well (also in my top 5).

Playing this game so long after release really highlights a couple things for me, in retrospect:
1) I can now clearly see how the recent assassins creed games and many other recent RPG’s have taken ideas/concepts from The Witcher 3. I don’t necessarily blame developers for this, but it’s interesting to see how some things are blatant like-for-like ripoffs.
2) I can now understand the hype and disappointment fans felt about CP2077. I played that game first, without ever playing a CDPR game prior. I had zero expectations going in and I loved it. If I had played The Witcher 3 first I would have expected much more, and I think ultimately I would have been pretty damn disappointed.

I think I’ll let this game sit for a while now and I’ll probably start a NG+ (or just a straight up new game) if/when a ray-tracing patch is released.

If you did all that in 128 hours you definitely rushed through it a bit. When you do ng+ take your time to explore every thing. W3 has some extremely well written side quests and missions. Not all of which are obvious. It took me 200+ hours to just beat the main game. I felt like had explored/experienced the majority of meaningful content by then, without getting into a completionist level of play.

Also on ng+ find the tree before you start the quest for a less shit outcome.

If you did all that in 128 hours you definitely rushed through it a bit. When you do ng+ take your time to explore every thing. W3 has some extremely well written side quests and missions. Not all of which are obvious. It took me 200+ hours to just beat the main game. I felt like had explored/experienced the majority of meaningful content by then, without getting into a completionist level of play.

Also on ng+ find the tree before you start the quest for a less shit outcome.
Yeah I definitely left some side quests on the table. I sort of played organically and went back and forth between side quests and main quests as suited my mood. I tried not to feel overly compelled to complete everything and it made for a great experience. When I eventually start NG+ I’ll probably complete everything. Just as a matter of curiosity, your 200+ hours, is that as reported in-game or as reported via Steam? Because Steam is always a bit off for me (it shows 168 hours).

"Next gen" update that includes things like ray tracing on the PC version has been delayed. Apparently they outsourced the work and it sounds like they were not satisfied with the progress.

https://nitter.actionsack.com/witchergame/status/1514285274553008135
1649870275198.png

"Next gen" update that includes things like ray tracing on the PC version has been delayed. Apparently they outsourced the work and it sounds like they were not satisfied with the progress

and the bad luck streak continues ever since Cyberpunk 2077...

I mean it’s cool and all that they’re adding the features but do we really care that much at this point? Who here hasn’t ran through the whole game and DLC’s probably 3 times already lol. I’d rather them focus on the next one.

I mean it’s cool and all that they’re adding the features but do we really care that much at this point? Who here hasn’t ran through the whole game and DLC’s probably 3 times already lol. I’d rather them focus on the next one.
I haven't. I bought it but never played it. I was waiting on the rt patch the last several months...

I haven't. I bought it but never played it. I was waiting on the rt patch the last several months...

May as well wait longer. The original game has some nice texture mods, but maybe this updated version will have higher resolution textures. Or maybe modders will covert their mods for the new version.

I want to play it through a second time on NG+ but have been waiting for the re-release.

Same here, been waiting for this to play it. Originally played for about 5 hours and got distracted. This would be perfect way to get back in.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
I'd been planning a replay for a while, but at this point I probably never will. I sunk something like 200 hours into the game originally and did basically everything there was to do. The plan was to revisit things once I'd mostly forgotten, but Elden Ring has kinda filled that gap for me. The Witcher combat was "good enough" but I never loved it. I think it'll be tough to go back.

Back