The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Why the hell are we talking about the TV show in a thread for the game which has nothing to do with the show? We already have a thread for it in both news and entertainment.

https://hardforum.com/threads/the-witcher-netflix.1934239/
https://hardforum.com/threads/the-witcher-official-teaser-netflix.1984325/
missed that it was in the game section, oops

Plus the one I am about to create in Hobbies.
thats where i thought we were, oops.

Uninstalled the game just dont have the time to play plus it's old as the hills was anticipating Cyberpunk 2077 but that all changed with the delay.

Good for them. This should boost more than enough interest into creating a TWC 4. Which was apparently a thing already in the works I believe. But even more reason to actually make another installment.

That would work very few movies that has actual games to back them up. Usually one movie wont capture the attention needs to be a ongoing series like The Witcher or something like Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead.

Last edited:
I love the Witcher 3 (1 and 2 as well), but I kinda like them putting the series on ice for now. 3 is still a massive benchmark for the industry 5 years later. It's absolutely massive with a scope that is unmatched outside of the MMO world, too. With the DLC missions it covers every base you could want and even has a nice conclusion.
I say let it sit for a little while and see where technology goes in the next few years. The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a Resident Evil 2 style remake of the first game. 2 is still a solid game and looks/plays fine, but the original one is pretty tough to revisit for new players. A modern engine remake of that game could be neat without beating the franchise into the ground.

talk about the witcher 3, the game is so old, yet so exemplary! I wish more devs could be like cd project red

I love the Witcher 3 (1 and 2 as well), but I kinda like them putting the series on ice for now. 3 is still a massive benchmark for the industry 5 years later. It's absolutely massive with a scope that is unmatched outside of the MMO world, too. With the DLC missions it covers every base you could want and even has a nice conclusion.
I say let it sit for a little while and see where technology goes in the next few years. The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a Resident Evil 2 style remake of the first game. 2 is still a solid game and looks/plays fine, but the original one is pretty tough to revisit for new players. A modern engine remake of that game could be neat without beating the franchise into the ground.

Last thing you want is them to keep pumping them out endlessly. If they ever do another, personally I'd like a more coherent main story and quest diversity, or cut the length to reduce repetitiveness.

GOG is offering The Witcher 3 for free if you already own the game on another platform if you link the platform you own the game on in GOG Galaxy. The DRM-free version you get depends on whether or not you own the GOTY version on the other platform. Owners of the base game and all DLC will only get the base game on GOG. Update GOG Galaxy and on restart you'll see the notification at the top of the Recent bookmark. The deal lasts through next Monday.

1592313088602.png

Heads up to others. My GOG Client didn't auto update to show what Armenius is explaining. After I connected my other clients it still wouldn't show up. I had to go to https://www.gog.com/galaxy and download it manually and have it force update that way. After that it was working.

I really want to do a fresh play through of this. not NG+.. I forgot what the other options are - but starting from level 1.

Reactions: Damar
like this
Guess I need to figure out how to upload the full size image.
The images are too big to embed at full size. We can click on them and then use the button in the top-right to open them in a new tab to get the full size picture, so don't worry about it.

Been using that texture pack myself, and it does look amazing.

I often find myself just roaming around aimlessly staring at the scenery. :)

Sorry if this is out of topic. I just started playing this game and wanted a few tips on the game. What spell is most useful? are the side quest helpful or do they just make the game bigger?
Spell choice depends on how you want to play the game. Overall, though, Aard is probably the most useful. It knocks everything in a cone in front of you back and it has a low cooldown.

Side quests are very helpful and are not just filler. Each one is unique in their objectives, story, and rewards unlike most other RPG or RPG-like games.

Other than that, don't ignore potions. You'll come across a lot of ingredients throughout the game and most potions and poisons are very helpful, especially if you're playing on hard or above.

Reactions: Damar
like this
New Witcher 3 mod adds firearms to the game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4903

Mod: info & types of firearms
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4903?tab=description

Looks pretty cool. I think it fits in the Witcher world pretty well seeing how the game already has explosive barrels & ranged weapons. Seems like it would be a Witcher type weapon, crafted for hunting monsters, especially the infused ammunition you can craft. Modder has stated that they tried not to make the firearms overpowered to the point of breaking the game balance.

Last edited:
New Witcher 3 mod adds firearms to the game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4903

Mod: info & types of firearms
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4903?tab=description

Looks pretty cool. I think it fits in the Witcher world pretty well seeing how the game already has explosive barrels & ranged weapons. Seems like it would be a Witcher type weapon, crafted for hunting monsters, especially the infused ammunition you can craft. Modder has stated that they tried not to make the firearms overpowered to the point of breaking the game balance.

I don't know about that. In the Witcher universe the alchemist who invented gunpowder was suicided by the mages and all his research was destroyed. The mages don't want their power to be challenged. I would think that if Witchers started running around with firearms that their guild would quickly be put down.

Sorry if this is out of topic. I just started playing this game and wanted a few tips on the game. What spell is most useful? are the side quest helpful or do they just make the game bigger?

Every side quest has some sort of story to it that is actually interesting. One of the gripes of the game is the loot being mostly uninteresting... but, even the Witcher contracts have some amazing stories to them. This game is still #1 on my list for game of all time. The visuals, graphics, art style, voice acting, and story is completely unmatched.

Last edited:
Every side quest has some sort of story to it that is actually interesting. One of the gripes of the game is the loot being mostly uninteresting...

It gets better as you progress though the game. There are also mods that can extend loot tables for creatures and different stats trophies. Also, don't put off doing scavenger hunt quests for Witcher School gear.

without mods, the best loot is not related to quests so much as exploration, thats how to find most armor sets.

It gets better as you progress though the game. There are also mods that can extend loot tables for creatures and different stats trophies. Also, don't put off doing scavenger hunt quests for Witcher School gear.

The exception to what I was saying is the Witcher gear. The point is almost all the loot is irrelevant since you should just be pursuing a Witcher gear set. I beat this game several years back and I was thinking of doing a NG+ soon.

I really like playing Red Dead Redemption 2, I haven't completed the game, so I can not judge or compare them. I think I will take at least a month to finish this game.
It took me 300-400 hours to complete the game the first time. I think it is going to take you more than a month if you're a completionist like myself.

Thanks, I have been using a lot of the fire spell. I have been picking up a lot of ingredients in hope that I can make some useful portions. The games looks really big for its size, will take some time to finish it.

I always found Quen better than Aurd or Igni, especially since your bread and butter for every confrontation is sword combat.

Quen, Fast enough cool down and basically an invulnerable save to a single hit, with practice you can basically keep recasting once its taken the hit. Works on everything, so even large monsters you get one free block.

Aurd really does little to larger creature, and if you don't have the man-sized opponents in an arc in front of you it leaves you vulnerable to side/back attacks when casting.

Igni is sometimes useful (like halting regen on creatures), kinda suffers from similar problems as Aurd.

I really like Yrden, its a little trickier to use but a well placed Yrden can make a fight an absolute breeze, works on pretty much everything, just keep em in the circle. Slow cooldown is its downfall.

I'll be honest after being underwhelmed by Aurd and Igni I didn't dump many levels into them, so maybe they get better with leveling. I leveled Quen then Yrden then Igni, and nothing in Aurd.

Edit: Early on I used Igni a lot, but found as I got better and its returns diminished that I switched firmly to Quen.

I always found Quen better than Aurd or Igni, especially since your bread and butter for every confrontation is sword combat.

Quen, Fast enough cool down and basically an invulnerable save to a single hit, with practice you can basically keep recasting once its taken the hit. Works on everything, so even large monsters you get one free block.

Aurd really does little to larger creature, and if you don't have the man-sized opponents in an arc in front of you it leaves you vulnerable to side/back attacks when casting.

Igni is sometimes useful (like halting regen on creatures), kinda suffers from similar problems as Aurd.

I really like Yrden, its a little trickier to use but a well placed Yrden can make a fight an absolute breeze, works on pretty much everything, just keep em in the circle. Slow cooldown is its downfall.

I'll be honest after being underwhelmed by Aurd and Igni I didn't dump many levels into them, so maybe they get better with leveling. I leveled Quen then Yrden then Igni, and nothing in Aurd.

Edit: Early on I used Igni a lot, but found as I got better and its returns diminished that I switched firmly to Quen.
True, Quen and Yrden are extremely useful especially on the harder difficulties. I did find some of the earlier bounty quests much easier with Yrden on Death March even without any investment into it. Quen kind of gets less useful later in the game, in my opinion. Igni has its own use cases. The AOE is useful for breaking up and dispatching groups of annoying weaker enemies and its DOT effect is nothing to sneeze at once it's leveled. I actually can't really call any of the spells bad, it's just you really have to focus on one or two of them so they can really shine. Again, it all comes down to your playstyle preference and there is a lot of flexibility in how you approach the game.

True, Quen and Yrden are extremely useful especially on the harder difficulties. I did find some of the earlier bounty quests much easier with Yrden on Death March even without any investment into it. Quen kind of gets less useful later in the game, in my opinion. Igni has its own use cases. The AOE is useful for breaking up and dispatching groups of annoying weaker enemies and its DOT effect is nothing to sneeze at once it's leveled. I actually can't really call any of the spells bad, it's just you really have to focus on one or two of them so they can really shine. Again, it all comes down to your playstyle preference and there is a lot of flexibility in how you approach the game.

Quen gets an AOE knock back when its broken later on that helps with mobs, and it never really loses that one hit invul save aspect which is critical on Death March against some of the monsters where they kill you in one hit anyway.

I just found weaker enemies would fall so quickly anyway if you where half decent at combat that it wasn't worth signs for them anway.

Quen gets an AOE knock back when its broken later on that helps with mobs, and it never really loses that one hit invul save aspect which is critical on Death March against some of the monsters where they kill you in one hit anyway.

I just found weaker enemies would fall so quickly anyway if you where half decent at combat that it wasn't worth signs for them anway.

Quen's definitely the most useful sign on Death March IMO. Like you said, if you get used to timing it right you always have a margin of error which is critical for those foes that can kill you in one or two hits. When I was playing on Hard I did use Igni a lot more, on Death March it's very much a case of diminishing returns.

Back