The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Kinsaras does it get alot better bc right now it's really slow and I'm wondering what's so amazing about the game lol

I'll probably give it another shot when I finish with ACOD. I remember having to setup a bunch of mods, at least I was smart and backed up a list of all the ones I was using.

Kinsaras does it get alot better bc right now it's really slow and I'm wondering what's so amazing about the game lol

If you don't "get" the world and it's lore, and don't enjoy the combat style, it's simply not for you, which is fine. Not everyone will enjoy every game. There's a certain "slog" so to speak that you have to go through in order to progress, and that's what separates a lot of people. These games are based on books written by Andrzej Sapkowski, a very well renowned Polish author who has won numerous awards. The books slowly roll out the story and involve a lot politics, and the games mimic that same style. If you've ever read the Game of Thrones books, you're in for a similar'ish ride.

That being said, if you enjoy the atmosphere that's presented, it's absolutely worth sticking through to the end (and it'll take you a very long time to get there as well). It's not a 10-15 hour title by any means, but a very slow burn. The range of moods varies wildly as you progress, from hilarious moments, to downright depressing and sad ones that really make you sympathize with the characters.

Just seeing this. I love the plot. Even some of the side stuff goes places I wasn't expecting. If you like narrative in your games certainly stick with it. Combat can be deep depending on the difficulty you play on. It's really about knowing your enemy before you fight them.

My crashing after two to three hours of gameplay with my 1080ti seems to be resolved. It may be one of two variable because I also downloaded the newest nvidia drivers, but I turned my overclock on my monitor off based on a tip I read in reddit where a user fixed his Witcher 3 crash problem with a 1080ti by dropping his monitor (not the same as mine) to 60hz. So I dropped from 120hz overclock to the native 100hz and the game ran all day even even when I alt tabbed out and left it running for a few hours idle and hoped back in and played a couple hours. I’ll jump back to 120hz and play more and see if it’s the nvidia driver update or the 120hz o/c (with Gsync) that causes the crash.

I turned my 120Hz overclock on the monitor back on - and sure enough - within an hour or two it crashed. In the System log is the following error message.

upload_2019-3-10_0-30-41.png

I had played probably a full 12 hours without crashing on the native 100Hz. So it appears to be something with the overclock. Weird that it can go an hour or three before a crash with the overclock every time.

Try this approach: Explore as much as practical and to a point, avoid the story quests... you will eventually be forced to switch over to the story quests due to being under-leveled. You seem to get more XP for the story, so when the majority of exploration seems to end up with red skulls and crossbone enemies, then switch over to story quests.

Didn't know Monster Hunter was free. In that case I'll download it when I get home just to play Witcher content :)

He's saying the content is free - meaning, people who own Monster Hunter don't have to pay extra to play the Geralt thingy.

I beat Witcher 3 and all expansions last night. Level 53 character which is about where most people end up from what I read -- maybe around 200 hours of playtime... I do agree with my brother, who gifted me the game, who told me on his gift that it was head and shoulders above any other game and after finishing it he wasn’t sure where to go because all other games he had previously enjoyed paled by comparison. Now completed, IMO, Witcher 3 is the best game I've played in my 30 years of gaming. The main story lines are phenomenal. Even some of the secondary quests have better storylines than the plots of mainstream AAA titles. The dialogue decisions have you wringing your hands to make the right choice. The little extras they add that you may or may not ever even see depending on your in game choices are astonishing. It shows a level of detail unlike any game ever made IMO.

It's like role playing through a fantasy novel of the highest caliber. The ways your dialogue choices affect the end game outcome and the coding behind all those paths is almost dizzying.

Now done, I wish there was more.

Last edited:
I beat Witcher 3 and all expansions last night. Level 51 character which is about where most people end up from what I read -- maybe around 200 hours of playtime... I do agree with my brother, who gifted me the game, who told me on his gift that it was head and shoulders above any other game and after finishing it he wasn’t sure where to go because all other games he had previously enjoyed paled by comparison. Now completed, IMO, Witcher 3 is the best game I've played in my 30 years of gaming. The main story lines are phenomenal. Even some of the secondary quests have better storylines than the plots of mainstream AAA titles. The dialogue decisions have you wringing your hands to make the right choice. The little extras they add that you may or may not ever even see depending on your in game choices are astonishing. It shows a level of detail unlike any game ever made IMO.

It's like role playing through a fantasy novel of the highest caliber. The ways your dialogue choices affect the end game outcome and the coding behind all those paths is almost dizzying.

Welcome to the cult, and the Cyberpunk 2077 waiting club. :p

Welcome to the cult, and the Cyberpunk 2077 waiting club. :p

there is a lot of risk with cyberpunk, one of the reasons I think it is taking so long. witcher had lots of great source content to work from, cyberpunk, a game, and lore, but I don't know how deep it all is.
anyway should be interesting

I beat Witcher 3 and all expansions last night. Level 51 character which is about where most people end up from what I read -- maybe around 200 hours of playtime... I do agree with my brother, who gifted me the game, who told me on his gift that it was head and shoulders above any other game and after finishing it he wasn’t sure where to go because all other games he had previously enjoyed paled by comparison. Now completed, IMO, Witcher 3 is the best game I've played in my 30 years of gaming. The main story lines are phenomenal. Even some of the secondary quests have better storylines than the plots of mainstream AAA titles. The dialogue decisions have you wringing your hands to make the right choice. The little extras they add that you may or may not ever even see depending on your in game choices are astonishing. It shows a level of detail unlike any game ever made IMO.

You should pick up the novels. They are equally amazing.

Is Witcher 1 or 2 worth visiting if you really enjoyed Witcher 3?
I never played the first two games.

I’ll give this question some context — I’m not one that thinks all old games are worth playing in current time — just because they were once great games...
Nostalgia paints everything with rose colors

For instance I loved the original Diablo. Played it a ton a launch. It was a marvel at the time. Today I couldn’t play it for more than 1/2 hour before I had enough. Gameplay mechanics and games in general have moved the ball so far forward its really pretty unplayable today after experiencing newer ARPGs. (IMO). I realize not everyone feels this way. My buddy thinks the original Diablo is a classic and he can play it front to end without annoyance. I’m annoyed the first time my inventory doesn’t auto sort, or I can’t search the ground drops with a highlight key - etc.

(E.G.
Diablo 2 does EVERYTHING better than Diablo, so IMO I’d say there is no reason to visit Diablo for a fan of Diablo 2 who might have missed the original).

With this in mind is it worth visiting Witcher 1 or 2? Or was everything perfected in Witcher 3 and there’s no reason to go back?

Last edited:
Is Witcher 1 or 2 worth visiting if you really enjoyed Witcher 3? I never played them.

I’ll give this context — I’m not one that thinks all old games are worth playing in current time — just because they were once great games...

For instance I loved the original Diablo. Played it a ton a launch. It was a marvel at the time. Today I couldn’t play it for more than 1/2 hour before I had enough. Gameplay mechanics and games in general have moved the ball so far forward its really pretty unplayable today after experiencing newer ARPGs. (IMO).

With this in mind is it worth visiting Witcher 1 or 2? Or was everything perfected in Witcher 3 and there’s no reason to go back?

(IE Diablo 2 does EVERYTHING better than Diablo, so IMO I’d say there is no reason to visit Diablo for a fan of Diablo 2 who missed the original).

They are very different games from 3, a lot more linear for one. Witcher 1 is also a lot closer to a traditional CRPG, where planning, dialogue, and stat crunching is critical. Witcher 2 is still a lot like 1, but you can see the concepts of Witcher 3 a lot clearer in it.

I for one got about half way through Witcher, and never past the first town in Witcher 2.

Is Witcher 1 or 2 worth visiting if you really enjoyed Witcher 3? I never played them.

I’ll give this context — I’m not one that thinks all old games are worth playing in current time — just because they were once great games...

For instance I loved the original Diablo. Played it a ton a launch. It was a marvel at the time. Today I couldn’t play it for more than 1/2 hour before I had enough. Gameplay mechanics and games in general have moved the ball so far forward its really pretty unplayable today after experiencing newer ARPGs. (IMO).

(IE Diablo 2 does EVERYTHING better than Diablo, so IMO I’d say there is no reason to visit Diablo for a fan of Diablo 2 who missed the original).

If you like the Witcher stories that they tell, I would highly recommend The Witcher 1. It has a fantastic story.

Be forewarned, the combat is way different than 2/3. I honestly liked it, but I am probably a minority.

Yeah, witcher 1 is interesting. the game is more based on click timing rather than actual combat. the story is really good though. witcher 2, I have never actually completed it. the combat is much more modernized than witcher 1, but I still did not find the game compelling.

I’ll give this question some context — I’m not one that thinks all old games are worth playing in current time — just because they were once great games...

For instance I loved the original Diablo. Played it a ton a launch. It was a marvel at the time. Today I couldn’t play it for more than 1/2 hour before I had enough. Gameplay mechanics and games in general have moved the ball so far forward its really pretty unplayable today after experiencing newer ARPGs. (IMO). I realize not everyone feels this way. My buddy thinks the original Diablo is a classic and he can play it front to end without annoyance. I’m annoyed the first time my inventory doesn’t auto sort, or I can’t search the ground drops with a highlight key - etc.

(E.G.
Diablo 2 does EVERYTHING better than Diablo, so IMO I’d say there is no reason to visit Diablo for a fan of Diablo 2 who might have missed the original).

I'd call the first Witcher a hard pass. It's extremely dated by today's standards. Even ignoring things like graphics, the controls and combat are straight up bad. The story might be great, but without nostalgia to fuel you through, it just doesn't hold up. Witcher 2 I am 100% opposite. In fact, I like it better than Witcher 3 in a lot of ways. It's not open world, but it still manages to be very non-linear. It almost feels less linear than TW3 at times because you really get to feel the weight of your decisions. I've played through TW2 probably 4 or 5 times now and enjoyed it every time. By comparison, I've played TW3 once and then couldn't bring myself to finish the DLCs because I was burned out. Even for all its greatness, TW3 felt like too much of a good thing at times. TW2 is definitely a lot more focused on it's core story, so don't expect a massive RPG. You are probably about a 20 hour campaign the first time around. Graphics are dated but still hold up. Combat and controls are much more modern, much closer to that of TW3. You'll feel right at home there. Given that it can be picked up for $5 (maybe even less) during a Steam sale, I'd call it an absolutely essential game to try out for fans of the genre.

If you absolutely loved Witcher 3 then play the 2nd one. Any major decision you may have made is irrelevant in the 3rd game anyways so when it comes to bridging the story you're not missing much but I think you'll enjoy the lore regardless. The whole 3rd act of Witcher 2 is essentially thrown in the garbage in Witcher 3 which was disappointing but since you already finished Witcher 3 it probably won't be noticeable.

Gameplay wise the 2nd is rough and a weak point. I'd really just play it for the lore and background. There are also two paths to take, in which case the 2nd act is almost entirely different. Different maps to explore and different story quests.

If you like tits, play the first two games, especially two. There, you now have more than a reason to play it :D

If you like tits, play the first two games, especially two. There, you now have more than a reason to play it :D
If I remember correctly, there is even a shot of Triss' fire crotch in the second one.

If you don't "get" the world and it's lore, and don't enjoy the combat style, it's simply not for you, which is fine. Not everyone will enjoy every game. There's a certain "slog" so to speak that you have to go through in order to progress, and that's what separates a lot of people. These games are based on books written by Andrzej Sapkowski, a very well renowned Polish author who has won numerous awards. The books slowly roll out the story and involve a lot politics, and the games mimic that same style. If you've ever read the Game of Thrones books, you're in for a similar'ish ride.

That being said, if you enjoy the atmosphere that's presented, it's absolutely worth sticking through to the end (and it'll take you a very long time to get there as well). It's not a 10-15 hour title by any means, but a very slow burn. The range of moods varies wildly as you progress, from hilarious moments, to downright depressing and sad ones that really make you sympathize with the characters.
It wasn't for me because they forced you to play as a guy with white hair.

I just got done with a playthrough of the first Witcher game last week and while the graphics were dated I was surprised at how well they had held up, I don't mind the combat for an RPG and actually prefer it to the combat in W2 but a lot of people hate it and the controls are a bit clunky. Combat took a bit of getting used to before I found it enjoyable the first time and it also gets better as you unlock more skills. The game reminds me a bit of some of the old Bioware CRPGs which isn't surprising since it uses a modified version of their Aurora engine. I think the story is the best(and darkest) of the three and I really enjoy the old school RPG feel but TW3 beats it overall.

The Witcher 2 is my least favorite of the three by a large margin, I was planning to play it after finishing the first game and then follow up with the third but I just couldn't bring myself to play the second one again. Most would disagree with this but I hated the combat it felt more fitting for an action game than an RPG and forces you to use cheap tactics, don't even get me started on the poorly designed and implemented boss fights. While the controls were less clunky it was their first multi-platform game and KB/M controls were clearly an afterthought. I thought the story was by far the worst of the three, it focused too much on political drama and then tried to pad it with big battles and explosions like an action movie.

I just got done with a playthrough of the first Witcher game last week and while the graphics were dated I was surprised at how well they had held up, I don't mind the combat for an RPG and actually prefer it to the combat in W2 but a lot of people hate it and the controls are a bit clunky.

There's some graphics mods for it, but I didn't bother on my last playthrough because I had the same sentiment. I didn't really want to fuck with it, as it's not a mod friendly game. I don't think Nexus supports it either.

Back