The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-witcher-2015-7

Poland’s Prime Minister loves this spectacular video game so much he gave it to Obama as a gift

The last time I was here, Donald [Tusk] gave me a gift, the video game developed here in Poland that's won fans the world over, "The Witcher." I confess, I'm not very good at video games, but I've been told that it is a great example of Poland's place in the new global economy. And it's a tributre to the talents and work ethic of the Polish people as well as the wise stewardship of Polish leaders like prime minister Tusk.

I bet the author was fuming when he read that

This is exactly the stuff that gets him worked up. Every interview I read he seemed to have to say something, like the new books using the game's likeness of Geralt, or how so many people think he wrote the books based off the games, or how no one will remember him; only the games. I get it, but he has gotten rich largely due to the games. He had the option to play a role as a consultant, but he wasn't interested, could only manage to laugh at video games as a medium. He could have gone back to CDPR after the success of W2 and said "You know what, I was wrong, if you're still willing I'd like to be a part of this". No doubts CDPR would have renegotiated, they've shown that is how they like to do business, but he just kept basing games as stupid and a waste of time. Netflix isn't doing a new series because of the success of his books, but because of the success of the games! He is a consultant for it, but is blind to the fact he has the games to thank for the opportunity at all. When you compare him to other Authors who's IP has been monetized in other mediums (Tolkien, Rowling, R.R. Martin, Glukhovsky, etc.), the difference is stark. They've all embraced it, despite how different from their original vision it ends up being, because they know it is only going to boost their sales and diversify their residual income. Andrrzej is a good author, I enjoy his books, but he is a man child in real life.

All that may be true. The big question is does any of it matter. Not sure any of it will under their laws. Just reading the Articles I'd say no. Not a lawyer so my viewpoint doesn't mean a thing.
Looking forward to the youtube lawyers future videos on it.

Agreed, it is all speculation at this point, nobody knows. Still interesting to talk about nonetheless.

This move is political as well. The timing, with the upcoming Netflix series and CDPR trying to market their next game, is well chosen by Sapkowski's Lawyers. They are hoping to pressure CDPR into submission, and there is some subtle evidence that this may all be instigated by one of Sapkowski's Lawyers, who knows which of his buttons to push when he sniffs a potentially big payday. If nothing else, it is serving to keep the hype train moving for both Netflix and CDPR.

Well, netflix has nothing to do with CDPR. CDPR does have a new game coming out shortly, based on gwent. I'll be preordering that. Maybe he is upset that the money train continues. I guess he will continue to be furious about cyberpunk. That may also lead CDPR to remove any witcher/ciri references just to make sure the references are completely separate

You've got to be shitting me. Yes, the companies may not be coordinating, but absent the critical success of the games, Netflix would not have a show.

I think he just means they are separate entities that do not share the same profits, but your point is valid. Like I said in my post above, the only reason Sapkowski has a Netflix series to make him more money, is because of the success of the games.

You've got to be shitting me. Yes, the companies may not be coordinating, but absent the critical success of the games, Netflix would not have a show.
No doubt, just saying this is not a project between netflix and CDPR, but rather with the author. And if you read his statement below, he does seem kind of dickish about it

If you were curious about the show's credibility, too, Sapkowski is working on the Netflix series as a creative consultant.

“I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing,” he said in a press release. “I’m excited about our efforts together, as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life.”

Just saw this, some of you may find it interesting. it gives the backstory for yennifer as from the books.
maybe you get an idea of why the author and his books are really good, even though he is a bit of a dick

Just saw this, some of you may find it interesting. it gives the backstory for yennifer as from the books.
maybe you get an idea of why the author and his books are really good, even though he is a bit of a dick

Awesome. I had posted this in a Cyberpunk Facebook thread about the Author's demands, noting my respect for the Author despite him being "a bit of a dick". Glad someone else enjoyed it too. I'm hoping he does one on Triss, who I believe was once burned from head to foot during a wartime battle.

View attachment 110732
Freya Allan and Anya Chalotra alongside their Witcher video game counterparts, Ciri and Yennefer.

Not really seeing Yen in her..... facial features seem all wrong, even for a younger Yen.

Maybe because the appearance of Yen and Ciri for The Witcher on Netflix aren't based on their appearances in the game.

View attachment 110732
Freya Allan and Anya Chalotra alongside their Witcher video game counterparts, Ciri and Yennefer.

Not really seeing Yen in her..... facial features seem all wrong, even for a younger Yen.
You have to put the visual representation of the video games out of your mind. The series is based on and pulls inspiration from the novels. The series head specifically stated that she wanted to make sure it was its own visual representation.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/witcher-netflix-show-casts-ciri-yennefer-roles-1150868

Did you specifically pull from the book series or did you also draw inspiration from the Witcher games? Does that muddy the waters a little bit to draw from too many sources?

It does muddy the water a little bit for me. I’m a huge fan of the games. That being said, what I really tried to steer away from is that the video games right now are the sole visual representation of these stories and we needed to create our own visual representation. As I’ve been developing the series I’ve actually pulled back from playing the video games because I wanted to make sure the show we were creating was its own unique thing.

Besides that, discussion about the Netflix series shouldn't be happening in the video game thread, in my opinion.

https://hardforum.com/threads/the-witcher-netflix.1934239/

You have to put the visual representation of the video games out of your mind. The series is based on and pulls inspiration from the novels. The series head specifically stated that she wanted to make sure it was its own visual representation.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/witcher-netflix-show-casts-ciri-yennefer-roles-1150868

Did you specifically pull from the book series or did you also draw inspiration from the Witcher games? Does that muddy the waters a little bit to draw from too many sources?

It does muddy the water a little bit for me. I’m a huge fan of the games. That being said, what I really tried to steer away from is that the video games right now are the sole visual representation of these stories and we needed to create our own visual representation. As I’ve been developing the series I’ve actually pulled back from playing the video games because I wanted to make sure the show we were creating was its own unique thing.

Besides that, discussion about the Netflix series shouldn't be happening in the video game thread, in my opinion.

https://hardforum.com/threads/the-witcher-netflix.1934239/

Agreed, but that said Yennifer was near 100 yrs old when Geralt found and begain training Ciri. The books said her appearance was closer to 20 thanks to the magic, but the actress they choose looks like she could be Cir's nearly same age sister. Obviously they can do a lot with makeup, and if she nails the part, I doubt anyone will care. Still, I see where people are coming from. Given how things could have gone, it is largely nit-picking, but a legit observation nonetheless.

Had the opposite experience. I played tw3 for about 10 hours back when it first came out. Promptly dropped it and went back to skyrim and clocked another 100 hours.

I had the exact opposite experience. Tried Skyrim multiple times and could never get past the first few missions. I am scared to look at how many hours I have logged in TW3.

That's what is so great about gaming for a hobby, there is something out there for everyone.

I had the exact opposite experience. Tried Skyrim multiple times and could never get past the first few missions. I am scared to look at how many hours I have logged in TW3.

That's what is so great about gaming for a hobby, there is something out there for everyone.
I've "tried" Skyrim for 200 hours or so and could never get into it. After spending so much time in it I never felt I was progressing anywhere. By comparison every step in The Witcher 3 felt meaningful. So while I dumped more time into Skyrim, TW3 is the better game by far.

I've "tried" Skyrim for 200 hours or so and could never get into it. After spending so much time in it I never felt I was progressing anywhere. By comparison every step in The Witcher 3 felt meaningful. So while I dumped more time into Skyrim, TW3 is the better game by far.

200 hours, and you couldn't get into it? I think you got into it if you played 200 hours. If you played only 20 hours, I could buy it.

200 hours, and you couldn't get into it? I think you got into it if you played 200 hours. If you played only 20 hours, I could buy it.
This is what I was going to say when he posted earlier, but I got lazy and didn't want to type anything at the time.

I loved Skyrim, put 358hrs into it, and never thought I would find anything better until I played TW3. With "only" 150hrs in TW3, I find it is a far superior experience to Skyrim.
From story to combat, I was in love. I was intimidated by the combat mechanics at first not realizing it took strategy instead of your normal hack n' slash RPG. But the side quests were the best part, they felt like totally separate games on their own, with so much content, that they shamed many a 20hr 60$ AAA title.

The only negatives I saw was that damn Gwent game, ugh. Planning on doing another play thru soon since I finished it before Blood and Wine came out.

I couldn't get into vanilla Skyrim, till I started loading Skyrim with mods and texture overhaul packages from Nexusmods. Safe to say I put about 800 hrs into the game trialing mods and whatnot and about 350 hrs plus into W3. Both different experiences but W3 triumphs over Skyrim in terms of story content and free mode exploring.

I loved Skyrim, put 358hrs into it, and never thought I would find anything better until I played TW3. With "only" 150hrs in TW3, I find it is a far superior experience to Skyrim.
From story to combat, I was in love. I was intimidated by the combat mechanics at first not realizing it took strategy instead of your normal hack n' slash RPG. But the side quests were the best part, they felt like totally separate games on their own, with so much content, that they shamed many a 20hr 60$ AAA title.

The only negatives I saw was that damn Gwent game, ugh. Planning on doing another play thru soon since I finished it before Blood and Wine came out.

Blood and Wine by itself would be a $60 AAA title!

Going back to TW3 to finish Hearts of Stone and some unfinished side quests.. just to enjoy how damn beautiful that game is. I was actually considering another entire play through on a higher difficulty... Currently lvl 84 and built every grand master set of everything you can, got the Aerondight sword plus added rune slots to it and tossed in those ones that hold the effects of the grind-stone.. It's doing 100 - 110% extra damage currently. I haven't been able to get it higher than that.. Anyways.. this game is such a masterpiece. Really enjoying playing it again right now. The sheer amount of swords and gear I have stored in chests and on display in my Corvo Bianco house kind of stunned me when I went back to look after all this time.. Crazy!! (282 hours in so far...)

I sure hope they don't "Shannara Chronicles" The Witcher... Call me cynical, but I read "stopped playing the game so we could create our own visual adaption" as not a good sign. Then I saw the picture of the actors and thought... here we go again.... I hope I'm wrong.

I've picked this up again recently, but oddly enough my 1080TI card seems to crash in the game after 2-3 hours of gameplay. Just sort of at random. Temps aren't high, my CPU overclock is mild. I'm not overclocking the video card.

16GB DDR4 RAM (4x4GB) running in XMP1 model at 2400mhz
CPU is a 6850K overclocked to 4.0Ghz which is stable in everything else and it's watercooled and not hot.
Video card is a 1080TI EVGA SC Black that is not overclocked.
Monitor is a Alienware AW3418DW at 120hz O/C.
Soundcard is a Creative Super X-FI in 7.1 speaker setting.

I have no problems in any other games - it just seems to be Witcher 3, and it's pretty reliable to crash on occasion. Sometimes it just seems to freeze the game image but the audio is still happening in the background, sometimes it just crashes to desktop without any error pop up in either case. It doesn't lock up the machine, just crashes the game.

I've tried the most recent three nvidia drivers - does it with each.

Anyone else still playing this game to relay their experience? I suspect this is a nvidia driver issue since it seems to only be this game, but figured I'd ask around.

Edit — I read someone say their game didn’t crash when they set their monitor to 60hz, but anything higher than 60hz and the game would crash at random after long intervals exactly like my scenario. I haven’t tried that suggestion quite yet - but I will.

Last edited:
I've picked this up again recently, but oddly enough my 1080TI card seems to crash in the game after 2-3 hours of gameplay. Just sort of at random. Temps aren't high, my CPU overclock is mild. I'm not overclocking the video card.

CPU is a 6850K overclocked to 4.0Ghz which is stable in everything else and it's watercooled and not hot.

I have no problems in any other games - it just seems to be Witcher 3, and it's pretty reliable to crash on occasion. Sometimes it just goes to a locked screen but audio is still happening in the background, sometimes it just crashes to desktop. It doesn't lock up the machine, just crashes the game.

Anyone else still playing this game to relay their experience? I suspect this is a nvidia driver issue since it seems to only be this game, but figured I'd ask around.

It could be the Nvidia drivers, I know people have been having issues with them. The most stable recently is 417.58 I believe. I've been on 418.91 and have had no issues but I haven't given Witcher 3 a try in about 3-4 months. Did you check Event Viewer to see what crash you're getting?

It could be the Nvidia drivers, I know people have been having issues with them. The most stable recently is 417.58 I believe. I've been on 418.91 and have had no issues but I haven't given Witcher 3 a try in about 3-4 months. Did you check Event Viewer to see what crash you're getting?
418.99 caused at least 3 crashes a day for the 2 weeks I used them, all crashes were at idle with no rhyme or reason.
Drove me nuts until 418.99 was released to fix it.
It has indeed fixed it, uptime is now 9 1/2 days.

The ops issue sounds a bit different.

Soundcard is a Creative Super X-FI in 7.1 speaker setting.

I have no problems in any other games - it just seems to be Witcher 3, and it's pretty reliable to crash on occasion. Sometimes it just seems to freeze the game image but the audio is still happening in the background, sometimes it just crashes to desktop without any error pop up in either case. It doesn't lock up the machine, just crashes the game.

Edit — I read someone say their game didn’t crash when they set their monitor to 60hz, but anything higher than 60hz and the game would crash at random after long intervals exactly like my scenario. I haven’t tried that suggestion quite yet - but I will.

Verify integrity of game files perhaps?

Killed the Griffin but still can't seem to get into this game...I keep wondering what so amazing about it....hopefully this changes soon

Killed the Griffin but still can't seem to get into this game...I keep wondering what so amazing about it....hopefully this changes soon

Its one of those games where the journey is greater than the reward, (unless you're a Witcher :p). Have you played the first two?

It may take a while to get into it. Take your time. Explore. It’s not a race. I think this is a game you could play on and off for years. When you get bored play the main story line to advance level and get to gear and areas exposed, but be aware some of the secondary quests have more depth in the story line than triple AAA title storylines. There are some real gems in there. The Baron story line will be your first intro to the game’s story telling ability. Many more will follow. If you like the Baron quest than keep playing. If you don’t, perhaps it just isn’t your style of game.

Reactions: MrC4
like this
That's not very far... I will say that this isn't a gameplay first game, it's a story and environment first game. Just sit back and enjoy.

My crashing after two to three hours of gameplay with my 1080ti seems to be resolved. It may be one of two variable because I also downloaded the newest nvidia drivers, but I turned my overclock on my monitor off based on a tip I read in reddit where a user fixed his Witcher 3 crash problem with a 1080ti by dropping his monitor (not the same as mine) to 60hz. So I dropped from 120hz overclock to the native 100hz and the game ran all day even even when I alt tabbed out and left it running for a few hours idle and hoped back in and played a couple hours. I’ll jump back to 120hz and play more and see if it’s the nvidia driver update or the 120hz o/c (with Gsync) that causes the crash.

Last edited:
Back