The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

One more question about side quests. Is there a different icon which designates side missions that will end if you progress the story before doing them? Something to quickly let me know which ones I can safely skip if I so desire.

I know for some quests at least it popped up a warning about losing out on other quests if I completed the one I was on. Not sure if it's like that for all quests however.

Decided to give it a go. Got three minutes into the game when I realized that there is apparently no pause option for cut scenes (had to answer the door). Really? No pausing cutscene in what will likely be a cut scene heavy game?

Looks like I need an unofficial patch, script manager, mod manager and then mod which brings all kinds of changes I don't want just to pause a cutscene if I need to. You'd think in three years post release they'd add basic functionality to the game. Something tells me I'm going to hate spending time and quit 10 hours in due to the game being too low quality.

Decided to give it a go. Got three minutes into the game when I realized that there is apparently no pause option for cut scenes (had to answer the door). Really? No pausing cutscene in what will likely be a cut scene heavy game?

Looks like I need an unofficial patch, script manager, mod manager and then mod which brings all kinds of changes I don't want just to pause a cutscene if I need to. You'd think in three years post release they'd add basic functionality to the game. Something tells me I'm going to hate spending time and quit 10 hours in due to the game being too low quality.

I think Alt-Tab'ing out of the game should pause things if you really need to walk away during a cutscene.

Why don't you drop the game..from the first get-go you have sounded like someone looking for an excuse for not liking the game?

I think W3 is the GOAT. But I've been a fan since the first game, so enjoy the story, lore, characters etc. The 3rd installment being such a masterpiece just enhances all that for me.

That said it isn't perfect, but if it's that much of a chore for you to get in to, maybe find something else to do?

Is there anyway to remove the horrendous fish-eye effect? Checked the options and I don't see an option. Tried disabling motion blur and depth of field as well as some random file edit posted somewhere. It is nauseating, and essentially all of the side quests so far require you to enter "Witcher Sense" to find clues. Kind of like Assassin's Creed. I know this game is a few years old, but I for one hope these "detective quests" simply fade away. They're okay every now and then, but it isn't that fun to press a button, see a highlighted object and then walk up to it for every other quest. Especially when you decide to put a terrible fish-eye effect on.

try:
Locate "gameplay ini" file in game install path
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\
use a text editor to change the line "motions sickness focus mode= false" to "motions sickness focus mode= true"

try:
Locate "gameplay ini" file in game install path
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\
use a text editor to change the line "motions sickness focus mode= false" to "motions sickness focus mode= true"

I tried that but it didn't work. I used Notepad++ if it matters.

The recharge time of your stamina can be decreased a lot depending on the skills and mutations you take. If you focus on the sign skill tree you can be spamming signs constantly, if you want. By level 10-11 while I was focusing on a combat-signing hybrid I could cast half a dozen signs in a single encounter without kiting and waiting. And this is without using alchemy for anything but oils (applied to weapons for increased damage against certain enemy types).
That's exactly my problem with the game, oils, alchemy, mutations, signs, which of those is effective against what enemy. This is too much stuff to keep in mind for me. I can't even keep track of which button does what on a console peasant controller when playing a console game. I'm not going to memorize all this shit. Hell I simply cannot memorize all this shit. That's why I dropped out of school because my brain just refuses to memorize seemingly useless information.

This game is definitely not for me.

In every RPG I do a build where it is effective against all enemy types and all situations, so I don't have to switch tactics or equipment or spells a dozen times every 10 seconds.

Is there anyway to remove the horrendous fish-eye effect? Checked the options and I don't see an option. Tried disabling motion blur and depth of field as well as some random file edit posted somewhere. It is nauseating, and essentially all of the side quests so far require you to enter "Witcher Sense" to find clues. Kind of like Assassin's Creed. I know this game is a few years old, but I for one hope these "detective quests" simply fade away. They're okay every now and then, but it isn't that fun to press a button, see a highlighted object and then walk up to it for every other quest. Especially when you decide to put a terrible fish-eye effect on.

Does no one actually go through the games settings anymore?

options/gameplay/turn off Witcher Sense "fish-eye" effect....

Still zooms, still highlights stuff no fish-eye effect

That's exactly my problem with the game, oils, alchemy, mutations, signs, which of those is effective against what enemy. This is too much stuff to keep in mind for me. I can't even keep track of which button does what on a console peasant controller when playing a console game. I'm not going to memorize all this shit. Hell I simply cannot memorize all this shit. That's why I dropped out of school because my brain just refuses to memorize seemingly useless information.

In every RPG I do a build where it is effective against all enemy types and all situations, so I don't have to switch tactics or equipment or spells a dozen times every 10 seconds.

put it on easy and play trough it for the story, should be easy enough, just make sure you got some food and alcohol so you can replenish your alchemy every so ofter by meditating, the game is not that hard once you get a bit of gear.

Dude it gets muuuuuch worse - wait until Geralt starts talking.

Have you thought about going over to a console? Sound more your speed.

I must be 15 or so hours in right now. The first part of the game is a damn slog. Actually, still is, but gets better. Quests are way too long ended. There was some good quality in the Bloody Baron arc, but I really didn't need 6-7 hours of time wasted on a drunk fat old bastard and his daughter's daddy issues. Just an example of how long winded this game is. You forget what the actual story is. The ending of Witcher 2, dealing with how the kingdoms would get split up was interesting. Listing to a drunk guy isn't. Really hurts the narrative. So far it has been:

- Find girl A.
- Girl B got lost, find her. Nothing eventful happens.
- Found girl A! But nothing eventful happens.
- Now you have to find Girl C.

To make matters worse, any (or at least some) decisions you made regarding how the north kingdoms would get split up was thrown away. Apparently Radovich kills Foltest regardless. Thanks for taking any purpose or weight out of useful our decisions. Feels like Mass Effect all over.

Long winded story aside the game is okay. It needed a lot more work though. A lot of small issues all over the place. Importing my save didn't work. Well it did, it is just the way they displayed the available saves to import was the problem. Rather than ordering by completion or date purely, they sub-divided into Manual, Auto, ect. saves. Manual came first, which cannot be an end game save. I and apparently many others saw that it was the most recent save by date, and imported it. It was likely 99.9%, right after talking with Letho likely. But it wasn't the final save in Witcher 2. So it essentially rejects the saves. Was wondering why all of my choices seemed randomized and make no sense in Witcher 3. Googling it showed me it is far from uncommon. Again, poor organization, terrible UI, lack of thinking things through and beta testing rears its ugly head.

Just one of the meddling many examples that prevents Witcher 3 from being a good game. Wish they put 6-12 more months into it because it likely could have been good rather than average if it had much more polish.

I'm well into Noingard (spelling) so I'm not going to bother trial and error to see which Witcher 2 save will work either.

I must be 15 or so hours in right now. The first part of the game is a damn slog. Actually, still is, but gets better. Quests are way too long ended. There was some good quality in the Bloody Baron arc, but I really didn't need 6-7 hours of time wasted on a drunk fat old bastard and his daughter's daddy issues. Just an example of how long winded this game is. You forget what the actual story is. The ending of Witcher 2, dealing with how the kingdoms would get split up was interesting. Listing to a drunk guy isn't. Really hurts the narrative. So far it has been:

- Find girl A.
- Girl B got lost, find her. Nothing eventful happens.
- Found girl A! But nothing eventful happens.
- Now you have to find Girl C.

To make matters worse, any (or at least some) decisions you made regarding how the north kingdoms would get split up was thrown away. Apparently Radovich kills Foltest regardless. Thanks for taking any purpose or weight out of useful our decisions. Feels like Mass Effect all over.

Long winded story aside the game is okay. It needed a lot more work though. A lot of small issues all over the place. Importing my save didn't work. Well it did, it is just the way they displayed the available saves to import was the problem. Rather than ordering by completion or date purely, they sub-divided into Manual, Auto, ect. saves. Manual came first, which cannot be an end game save. I and apparently many others saw that it was the most recent save by date, and imported it. It was likely 99.9%, right after talking with Letho likely. But it wasn't the final save in Witcher 2. So it essentially rejects the saves. Was wondering why all of my choices seemed randomized and make no sense in Witcher 3. Googling it showed me it is far from uncommon. Again, poor organization, terrible UI, lack of thinking things through and beta testing rears its ugly head.

Just one of the meddling many examples that prevents Witcher 3 from being a good game. Wish they put 6-12 more months into it because it likely could have been good rather than average if it had much more polish.

I'm well into Noingard (spelling) so I'm not going to bother trial and error to see which Witcher 2 save will work either.

Like I said before...you have sounded like you wanted to not like the game from the start, just stop...it seems more like you are trolling at this point.

I like the game overall, but I do have to admit the first several hours are a slog. I might just throw in some mods and play on Easy.

Make sure you build your gwent deck and play the game. One of the best things in Witcher 3 in my opinion.

Make sure you build your gwent deck and play the game. One of the best things in Witcher 3 in my opinion.

That is one thing I never could get myself to do though...I avoid all gwent quests like the plauge...I think there were one quest I really disliked because it tried to force you to play Gwent.

That is one thing I never could get myself to do though...I avoid all gwent quests like the plauge...I think there were one quest I really disliked because it tried to force you to play Gwent.

gwent is amazing once you learn the mechanics and build a solid deck. This is the deck I used. 22 cards ensures you get good cards with every draw.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-14_9-36-35.png
    upload_2018-9-14_9-36-35.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: Damar
like this
gwent is amazing once you learn the mechanics and build a solid deck. This is the deck I used. 22 cards ensures you get good cards with every draw.

Does nothing to me...but I have never been into that kind of "games"...hence why I game on a PC.

Like I said before...you have sounded like you wanted to not like the game from the start, just stop...it seems more like you are trolling at this point.

No need to get so upset over "your game". Never understood that. A game is sub par, you mention it on a forum, and people get offended. Not too long ago someone took issues with me mentioning the horrific menu stuttering in Witcher 2. Unless you're making money off of the game no reason to white knight it.

Witcher 3 isn't as bad as Witcher 2 but it has many issues still. Animation issues, keybinds disappearing, ect. Some areas look so bad graphically that it looks incomplete. The game simply doesn't have the polish it needs. Spending 10 minutes googling why the bomb throwing key stopped working and suddenly disappeared from the options menu isn't exactly thrilling. I'll point it out and if it upsets so that is your problem.

I like the game overall, but I do have to admit the first several hours are a slog. I might just throw in some mods and play on Easy.

I'm not finding normal to be all that difficult. At first a few quests can be (they throw extremely high level quests at you) but eventually you start leveling enough and have some quests that are low enough level to tackle. But yes the pacing is off. The first few side quests I got were level 23 or so and I was level 4? You can easily get overloaded with dozens of quests that are too high of a level for you.

No need to get so upset over "your game". Never understood that. A game is sub par, you mention it on a forum, and people get offended. Not too long ago someone took issues with me mentioning the horrific menu stuttering in Witcher 2. Unless you're making money off of the game no reason to white knight it.

Witcher 3 isn't as bad as Witcher 2 but it has many issues still. Animation issues, keybinds disappearing, ect. Some areas look so bad graphically that it looks incomplete. The game simply doesn't have the polish it needs. Spending 10 minutes googling why the bomb throwing key stopped working and suddenly disappeared from the options menu isn't exactly thrilling. I'll point it out and if it upsets so that is your problem.

I'm not finding normal to be all that difficult. At first a few quests can be (they throw extremely high level quests at you) but eventually you start leveling enough and have some quests that are low enough level to tackle. But yes the pacing is off. The first few side quests I got were level 23 or so and I was level 4? You can easily get overloaded with dozens of quests that are too high of a level for you.

Now I know you are trolling...nice try :)

Now I know you are trolling...nice try :)

I don't think you know what the definition of "trolling" is. It isn't "he doesn't like what I like!".

Another fine example of the lack of polish for this game:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/358417008726594287/

You know how I found out about this bug? Because I just experienced it. Was wondering why I couldn't call my horse or quick save. Chalk it up to the dozens of other quality control issues Witcher 3 has. Clearly, shoddy quality control is something you love in games. I'm sure you praised Ubisoft for stunning release of Assassin's Creed Unity to. ;)

The saving grace for Witcher 3 is that it is better than Witcher 2, which isn't saying a whole lot. So far it has proven itself to be a thoroughly generic and bland experience, so props to CD Projekt for bettering themselves.

BTW, this texture mod is well worth giving a try:
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021/

I've thought about replying to him many times, but decided I'm better off just ignoring him. The Bloody Baron is one of the best and most memorable storyline arcs I've seen in a video game, and he complains about it being long winded. Clearly he doesn't like RPGs.

I've thought about replying to him many times, but decided I'm better off just ignoring him. The Bloody Baron is one of the best and most memorable storyline arcs I've seen in a video game, and he complains about it being long winded. Clearly he doesn't like RPGs.

It really isn't great. Time should've been spent elsewhere. His arc was well done but very mundane. I'm not sure why I should care about this man and his problems and his daughters "daddy issues". Reminds me of Mass Effect 2 in a way where you have multiple hour long side quests which all came down to daddy issues. They're simply boring and unoriginal even if well voice acted. Though at least the ME2 quests brought you to new, unique places with good setups.

I mean if that is what people consider a good story, then I suppose standards are lower than I thought. But the abusive, drunk husband story arc can be done in any game and isn't exactly special. It shouldn't have lasted more than an hour. They needed to make more quests focused around something actually interesting or something that would make a difference. Apparently there was a side quest (which may continue) about assassinating Radovich. It lasted maybe 20 minutes. We're talking about decisions that would change the entire fate of the in game world, and it is given lip service at best. Whenever some interesting topic comes up they seem to brush it aside, but the boring pointless quests seem to be the longest.

In terms of gameplay, most quests are not all that different from a typical Assassins Creed style game. Talk to unimportant random guy for random quest, run there for 2 minutes, use eagle vision, press E to view clue, run elsewhere, kill them, rinse repeat. After playing Origins (I realize this came out after Witcher 3) they both feel so similar and it seems like I am treading on similar ground.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't a horrible game. But it is far from great. More or less you just go through the motions, doing repetitive quests that have little meaning. But it isn't something with a gripping story or world that never lets up.

And it needs a lot more polish:

ztoa1pc.png

Yeah, Geralt is having a conversation while inside of a tree. I wasn't inside of a tree when I started talking to the guy either.

Yeah someone not liking the thing you like must be trolling. You don't get the right to tell people off with differing opinions.

This thread is turning into a neogaf discussion, where anyone going against the flow gets shunned.

I couldn't stand it personally. I wish they had included Dice Poker from the first two games.

CDPR, said that they didn't include it because of time constraints and programming, I know better though, they could have had both, but chose Gwent to familiarize players of W3 with it, so that after they could make money on a standalone game.

I couldn't stand it personally. I wish they had included Dice Poker from the first two games.

CDPR, said that they didn't include it because of time constraints and programming, I know better though, they could have had both, but chose Gwent to familiarize players of W3 with it, so that after they could make money on a standalone game.

You couldn't stand it because you became great at it and found the matches to be too easy, or because you were dominated and were not interested in getting better?

You couldn't stand it because you became great at it and found the matches to be too easy, or because you were dominated and were not interested in getting better?

Not into collectable card games inside my video games.

Yeah someone not liking the thing you like must be trolling. You don't get the right to tell people off with differing opinions.

This thread is turning into a neogaf discussion, where anyone going against the flow gets shunned.

Nobody should be putting anybody's dissenting opinions down, but anybody who's even a little familiar with modern PC gaming is aware of Witcher 3's reputation, and it just seems like Flogger23m had mission to say contrarian things. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's definitely going to garner a certain type of response in a thread with over one hundred pages of people generally enjoying the game.

Last edited:
Nobody should be putting anybody's dissenting opinions down, but anybody who's even a little familiar with modern PC gaming is aware of Witcher 3's reputation, and it just seems like Flogger23m had mission to say contrarian things. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's definitely going to garner a certain type of response in a thread with over one hundred pages of people generally enjoying the game.
You could just ignore him. To each their own and all. :shrug:

That said, I'm not a fan of Gwent either. I also prefer Dice Poker. I'm not a big fan of card games and am already playing a game. Why should I have to learn another game on top of the game I'm already playing? Making money from a collectible card game does seem like a reason it may be in there. I'll give them credit that it seems like a well thought out addition, just not really my thing. It seems like an optional thing at least, though I'm not very far into the game yet.

Indeed. I will say the game gets better. Finally got the whirling attack upgrade. Actually pretty slick. Just took far too long to get it. The game has pacing issues and can feel a bit repetitive, but I'm enjoying it the more I play. Still think its pretty average though. For all the praise I thought the cities would be life like. They're really not any different from Assassin's Creed Unity or similar.

Happened in the original guild wars 2 thread too. It was brutal.

Still think its pretty average though. For all the praise I thought the cities would be life like. They're really not any different from Assassin's Creed Unity or similar.

All relative to which the time you first played it.

It really isn't great. Time should've been spent elsewhere. His arc was well done but very mundane. I'm not sure why I should care about this man and his problems and his daughters "daddy issues". Reminds me of Mass Effect 2 in a way where you have multiple hour long side quests which all came down to daddy issues. They're simply boring and unoriginal even if well voice acted. Though at least the ME2 quests brought you to new, unique places with good setups.

I mean if that is what people consider a good story, then I suppose standards are lower than I thought. But the abusive, drunk husband story arc can be done in any game and isn't exactly special. It shouldn't have lasted more than an hour. They needed to make more quests focused around something actually interesting or something that would make a difference. Apparently there was a side quest (which may continue) about assassinating Radovich. It lasted maybe 20 minutes. We're talking about decisions that would change the entire fate of the in game world, and it is given lip service at best. Whenever some interesting topic comes up they seem to brush it aside, but the boring pointless quests seem to be the longest.

In terms of gameplay, most quests are not all that different from a typical Assassins Creed style game. Talk to unimportant random guy for random quest, run there for 2 minutes, use eagle vision, press E to view clue, run elsewhere, kill them, rinse repeat. After playing Origins (I realize this came out after Witcher 3) they both feel so similar and it seems like I am treading on similar ground.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't a horrible game. But it is far from great. More or less you just go through the motions, doing repetitive quests that have little meaning. But it isn't something with a gripping story or world that never lets up.

And it needs a lot more polish:

View attachment 104384

Yeah, Geralt is having a conversation while inside of a tree. I wasn't inside of a tree when I started talking to the guy either.

That sucks that you had such a bad experience with the game. I had a completely different experience, and I honestly want to do a NG+ to do it all again. But different strokes for different folks... Some people like different things. I just get upset that something that gave me such an awesome experience wasn't able to for someone else, for their sake!

That sucks that you had such a bad experience with the game. I had a completely different experience, and I honestly want to do a NG+ to do it all again. But different strokes for different folks... Some people like different things. I just get upset that something that gave me such an awesome experience wasn't able to for someone else, for their sake!

I'm not done with it, and I wouldn't say it is a "bad" game so far. Just pretty average. It reminds me a lot of Assassin's Creed with some of the disappointment with Mass Effect 2 (decisions from ME1 not mattering in the slightest). Combat system is workable but not that good either. Now ME1 had some bugs to, but I felt the whole series (minus Andromeda) was more polished than what Witcher 3 offers. Its fun but at times you feel like you're going through the paces. Running to a place on a map, activating your eagle vision (or whatever they call it) and then fighting whatever pops up eventually. Its decent enough, but just isn't great.

If you ignore the boring side quests the game does pick up a bit. Some side quests are good, but overall they vary and get repetitive. Hard to know what is what before you play them though. I think cohesion would have greatly benefited had the game been shorter and fat trimmed. I'm skipped most witcher contracts so far because of it. I still have many that I have not accepted and at least 20 that I have not finished. I've been doing most of the sidequests.

To answer my question from a week or so ago, these are the missable quests that fail if you progress the story too far. Copied from another person on another forum, with exceptions that I pointed out.

These will end during the quest Isle of Mist, which will display a warning giving you the option to turn back if I recall but it never specified which quests will end. Exceptions noted below:

White Orchard
Secondary Quests: 6 [1 story related(missable)]
-On Death's Bed

Velen (No Man's Land)
Secondary Quests: 43 [9 story related(missable)]
-Ciri's Room
-The Fall of the House of Reardon
-Ghosts of the Past <---- Depends on if a certain character survived Witcher 2
-An Invitation from Keira Metz
-A Towerful of Mice
-A Favor for a Friend
-For the Advancement of Learning
-Magic Lamp
-Return to Crookback Bog

Novigrad
Secondary Quests: 49 [14 story related(missable)]
-Novigrad: Closed City
-Cabaret
-Carnal Sins
-A Dangerous Game
-A Final Kindness
-The Gangs of Novigrad
-Honor Among Thieves
-It Takes Three to Tango
-A Deadly Plot
-Reason of State <---- This quest becomes available after Isle of Mist
-A Matter of Life and Death
-Now or Never
-An Eye for an Eye
-Redania's Most Wanted

Skellige
Secondary Quests: 42 [5 story related(missable)]
-Coronation
-King's Gambit
-The Last Wish
-The Lord of Undvik
-Possession

Kaer Morhen
Secondary Quests: 6 [0 story related(missable)]

Essentially if you're getting bored and want to get to the end game but not miss quests that show how tie into the main story, that list is pretty good. You can skip witcher contracts (from the bulletin boards) and come back later if you'd like.

That is what I did. I did a number of other side quests along the way, but left a number as well as most of the witcher contracts. I find it much more enjoyable to skip the filler content.

Only thing that annoys me is I can't find a better steel sword now. I can find one with more damage but nothing good with secondary effects. Can't craft or buy one either. Don't want to give up my current one but it is falling below in terms of damage/level. Has 17% chance to freeze and it is fun to use.

Last edited:
Back