The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

the new critical hits mutagen has been pretty awesome. i then picked up the aard freeze version and it seems much more disappointing.

So uhh, Gwent sucks, right?
It's just basically whoever rolls the highest number cards (based on RNG and your deck) wins. In other words, there's no skill involved.

I've been hearing all these great things about it, CDPR is even making a standalone game. It's literally whoever has the strongest cards wins. The only way to get better is to collect cards with bigger numbers. It's absolute shit.

It's just basically whoever rolls the highest number cards (based on RNG and your deck) wins. In other words, there's no skill involved.

I've been hearing all these great things about it, CDPR is even making a standalone game. It's literally whoever has the strongest cards wins. The only way to get better is to collect cards with bigger numbers. It's absolute shit.

I hated it my first playthrough, but I didn't try it until late in the game and hadn't really collected any cards. I read a couple quick guides and on my next playthrough collected everything I could get from the beginning. It does require building your deck to compete, but it is hardly without skill. Each faction plays differently and you grow to understand each ones strengths and weaknesses. I ended up loving the game. It's not for everyone, but I'd encourage you to give it another chance.

Kind of like every other card game. It's not bad but it's not taht great either... the standalone ame is supposed to be tweaked, but I don't think anyone knows how yet.

the game has very little to do with luck and much to do with the quality of the cards you are playing. you can easily get steamrolled with lots of high cards. the regular vendors are not much competition but some of the special players and the tournaments can be. The first experience I had of that was vs the tournament hobbit player. He nailed me with spy after spy then rez cards and so on. The end results was ugly. I use a minimalist northern deck that works well, spies, multipliers, specials (22 cards), 3 decoys, one scorch, 2 frosts, and that is about it. Less cards = better cards, takes "luck" out of the equation. You should always play with the minimum number of cards (at least for northern and nilfgard decks, I am not as familiar with the others)

there are also strategies to get the opposing scorch card played, to turn opposing cards to 1 then burn them all, so on.

Finished Hearts of Stone DLC which was really very poor in terms of story and stuff. Didn't like it one bit.
Started Blood and Wine and already I am in love with the new location/graphics and also the humor/language lol.

I give Hearts of Stone about 5/10. Didn't even attempt many side quests in that one.

The characters in it are unlikable people, giving unlikable missions. It is not really anything "sympathy" inspiring like the bloody baron. The BB conclusion was fucked up but awesome in its own way. The conclusion for HoS was kind of "eh..." It adds more areas to the map and more of the similar type ? zones. Unsure if they are based on Polish mythology or not.

B&W is more of a real expansion, new map, cities and so forth. Characters are much more interesting.

It has despicable characters and quests are a snooze fest. Also I hated that they reused areas for it. The expansion itself is also short (maybe 5 quests) and lots of nonsensical sides. Story is also poor and I don't like to take orders from a douche bag.

I prefer Blood and Wine thus far which is a real expansion with a new area and funny also.

the game has very little to do with luck and much to do with the quality of the cards you are playing. you can easily get steamrolled with lots of high cards. the regular vendors are not much competition but some of the special players and the tournaments can be. The first experience I had of that was vs the tournament hobbit player. He nailed me with spy after spy then rez cards and so on. The end results was ugly. I use a minimalist northern deck that works well, spies, multipliers, specials (22 cards), 3 decoys, one scorch, 2 frosts, and that is about it. Less cards = better cards, takes "luck" out of the equation. You should always play with the minimum number of cards (at least for northern and nilfgard decks, I am not as familiar with the others)

there are also strategies to get the opposing scorch card played, to turn opposing cards to 1 then burn them all, so on.

We are on very similar pages. I use Nilfgard, mainly because it has more Spies. I limit my deck to 25, stacked with Heros, Medics, Decoys I can use to revive Scortched cards, or reuse Medics over and over (which has saved me many times). I only keep one of each Weather card because I hardly ever use them with this faction, but maintain 3 Clear Weather cards to offset it. 3 2x horns, 2 Scorch and Villentretenmerth

Villentretenmerth (guy with a girl on each arm that scorches infantry) is one of my favs, and for those that don't know, he is actually a shape shifting golden dragon, and the women are his 2 Zerkanian Bodyguards. He is the one Regee asks Geralt about at the end of Blood and Wine. I was disappointed they never worked him into the game.

The girls were badass ninjas. questionable why he actually needed them because he was more badass than all of them combined including the witcher :)
I don't bother with clear weather, I use foltz for that. I don't have any infantry cards except heroes so can use winter. do not bother with the other weather cards. just completed the skellege deck last night, have yet to play it. :)

For nilfgard, it has the same amount of spies as northern, just the "cost/values" are 20pts vs 10pts so that is a negative. It does however have 2 extra res cards for a total of 4.

eh, here is the
xBlYtVU.jpg

Ugh, I hated playing the Skellege deck. It seems to borrow from all the others, but has none of their strengths. It is a Jack of all trades deck, but not strong enough in any one direction to overcome the other decks. I struggled with it, had to eventually turn the Gwent difficulty down to easy to win the Tournament. Perhaps I just didn't play it long enough.

Hopefully the stand alone game will come with a friends list so we can try our luck against one another. I might learn a thing or two.

Last edited:
It has despicable characters and quests are a snooze fest. Also I hated that they reused areas for it. The expansion itself is also short (maybe 5 quests) and lots of nonsensical sides. Story is also poor and I don't like to take orders from a douche bag.

I prefer Blood and Wine thus far which is a real expansion with a new area and funny also.

Thank you for the reply, it's always interesting to hear other people's take on them. I've always heard that HoS was even better than the original MSQ. I can't stop doing all the side missions in the vanilla Witcher 3. Everytime I go to continue the MSQ I get sidetracked doing the treasure hunts and witcher contracts...hah.

the fist fights in this game are rage inducing
Really?

I destroyed everyone, except on guy that hit me twice in a row or something and insta killed me.

Hell, I even wanted ot fist fight some regular enemies, but the game kep on pulling out my sword. This was earlier on, I haven't played it since the update that I think allows you to disable that.

the mechanics are just different in some places. the final fight of blood and wine, parry move does not work well against him. figured out there is a dodge move I never use in the game, applied it to this fight and I did it without taking damage. so....

done with all that now. the fights are easy once you figure out the mechanics but annoying up until that point. with my sign build I have never bothered with parry in combat. parry did not work for the final fight. blocking instead, dodge then attack did the trick.

the fist fights in this game are rage inducing
You have to block. It took me forever to figure that out, as I recall blocking being totally useless against anything that was trying to actually kill you, but once I did, the fights got an awful lot easier.

Does anyone know if this game uses PhysX? I could've sworn because it used NVIDIA hair works that it would've used my dedicated PhysX card for that but I guess not.

I bought the two DLC's yesterday and am surprised to find that the game's UI has been overhauled. They've now done that for all 3 Witcher games :p
I now need to re-learn how to play as I haven't touched the game in a while.

I finally started playing the other day, am about 3 hours in and am thoroughly enjoying it. I had forgotten how brutal the combat mechanics are especially on the high difficulties, button mashing is not a good strategy. Playing on max details at 3440x1440 with the HD reworked and increased LOD mods, the game looks gorgeous. I suspect its going to take me 12 months to finish given time constraints of life.....my poor backlog.

I just started back into this game.. I'm at level 40 on NG+ and wow I have a ways to go before I can play Blood and Wine. I like the patch 1.22 enhancements, well, water sure looks better.. And am playing on a 1080 FE @2ghz/10800 @4k with a mix of ultra (detail, texture, water, etc) and high (shadows, grass density, etc) with 60fps most of the time... It's really smooth. I would hit areas that would drop to sub 40fps with my 980ti.. For the most part the 980ti was fine but the 1080 makes everything like buttah. Still I can't flip all settings to max with a single card but even so I'm still a happy gamer.

In playing through the Hearts of Stone areas, it seems the game finally gave you some uses for all that money. One quest alone requires 28K to complete!
That's borderline overkill and either requires you to do a shitload of farming, never spend any of your money prior, or use some sort of unlimited gold exploit.
Luckily they haven't patched out all of the unlimited gold exploits or otherwise I'd probably just concede that one.

Difficulty is still pretty low so far. Much like Dark Souls, it seems like the Wither 3 is only tough at the beginning. When your stats are low and you end up over-reaching against overly powerful foes while you're still weak.

i had tons of money from the previous parts of the game. comes from having to explore every single ?, collecting and selling all the shit. for difficulty, they do have enemy scaling option if you are overleveled for a mission

I'm finding the Griffen school equipment being the most helpful for my playing style in NG+. Sometimes I get a little Roscoe Jenkins - the extra armor helps there. Using lots of quen shield, ard, and igni.

the thing with the HoS enhancements - I never used any of it since you have to give up your slots. the BaW enhancements however are pretty awesome, especially when you get grandmaster griffin gear

I've been using a glitch (a sword that keeps respawning every time you die) to get $.
At one time I actually did have a fair amount of money in my first pass, but I blew it all on supplies and random junk just because the game had no other uses for it.
I've already visited all of the ?'s, including the new ones, so that's really the only feasible way to get more cash anymore. At least beyond killing random enemies and selling what they drop for a few bucks here and there.
I'm still rocking a full set of Wolf gear although I am seeing certain drops that are a tiny bit better than what I have. I think my plan is not to bother with any new gear until I get to the B&W areas. I think Dark Souls has spoiled me a little bit, although like 99% of what I'm doing is just AARD followed by a kill shot.

the HoS does have a great viper set with 15% poison. may be worthwhile to pick it up. note, only one of the swords is craftable, the other you have to get in a one time mission.

I think I'm still using the Viper swords from HoS and the grandmaster Cat school gear with swords maxed out plus all extra points into Igni/Quen/Aard. Pretty fun and effective in B&W. Getting pretty close to completing B&W which makes me sad as the game is so fun. I went into B&W with about 90k, spent a lot pimping out my estate to the max and grandmaster crafting, I think I have about 70k left.

Hmmm... didn't the say they weren't going to do an enhanced edition? Or did they really only mean "enhanced" edition?

The GOTY Edition is probably just the game with both of the big DLC packs and the (seemingly dozens) of smaller packs bundled in with the most recent patches.
If you look at how the game shipped, they've nearly made an "Enhanced Edition" out of it already.
It would be nice to have all that stuff bundled together.

all the smaller dlcs have already been combined into one. I redownloaded the entire game to complete the expansions. there are no more individual download options. anyway I suspect they will merge everything together and remove the dlc branding from inside the game. I would think it to be a fast process but who knows....

That will probably be released as the Enhanced Edition like for W1 and W2, a consolidation of all previous patches and dlc's.

I completed the Hearts of Stone expansion last night. I have to admit that I enjoyed it a lot. It added a good variety of gameplay and story elements plus some few weapon upgrades, too. A couple fights were even challenging. I haven't messed with any of the Viper stuff (mainly because Blood and Wine apparently offers better), but it's nice to see that the previous Wolf gear is no longer the end-all-be-all.
I'm only about an hour into Blood and Wine, but it's pretty epic thus far. A fun story, new card decks, more boxing, more gwent, new gear sets, and a cool setting to go with it. I can imagine some people not enjoying the color palette, but I'm loving it. Especially with the normal game feeling rather dark most of the time.
CD Projekt has made me a customer for life. Pre-orders even :p

Back