The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Skipping the dialogue for the combat/gameplay is doing it wrong. The combat is terrible and the dialogue/story/characters is great.

Put the game down and come back to it at another time, or not.

Skipping the dialogue for the combat/gameplay is doing it wrong. The combat is terrible and the dialogue/story/characters is great.

This is precisely why no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get into this game.

The cinematic camera during conversations and console-style combat just.... it kinda feels like an interactive movie with crummy action-combat tossed in. (In an attempt to make it feel more like an actual game.)

I respect Witcher 3's merits but unfortunately it doesn't do it for me.

Guess I'm more of a Skyrim-type etc.

Combat is fantastic. You need to get used to it. How many hours before you decided on your answer? If less than 10 you are missing out.

what Skyrim combat fucking blows
Skyrim was all about this for me
Men+vs+women+in+skyrim+and+shopping+think+its+true_95fa17_4220401.jpg

ignore female

Put that shit on Death March, and you'll have a bettter appreciation for the combat. Also try the alternative moves and finishes dlc, much better imo.

Last edited:
I don't see how people can say the combat is "terrible". Yea, it's not the best combat ever, but I think it does it pretty well. Dial up the difficulty, I suppose. But it's far from terrible.

Combat is far from terrible. The fact that the RPG part of the game is the best ever, I'm surprised the combat is as good as it is honestly. The only thing that I don't like about the game is that it raised the bar so high that it's gonna be hard for me to be happy with future games. Damn you Witcher 3.

I think Bloodborne spoiled the combat for a lot of people.
Coming from Bloodborne to the Witcher, I was really disappointed in the combat.

I thought the combat in Witcher is fine for the most part.

There are times that it bugs out though. Like getting hit, despite Alt Quen being up and hit detection can be iffy.
Then, there is also those incredibly boring boss fights, that is completely different from normal fights because of their special abilities.

However, it is still pretty smooth. Never played Bloodborne, but coming from someone who played NG and DMC, and Bayonetta, I think it's fine, more than fine for an RPG game.

Or any Soul's game or any game not from a western dev. Western rpgs have terrible combat. The witcher is no different.

I'm guessing it's not a good idea to head down into the cave system (The mage) at level 3.5...

While I do think the Skyrim combat is superior to W3's (I play and mod both games) they are mostly two different systems/scenario in game.

So....I played the crap out of this game upon release until I got so frustrated with the controls that I put it down until a few weeks ago.

The combat gets a C in my book. It's not awful, but it most certainly is NOT any good. Is it really hard? Yes. But that doesn't make it any better. The diversity in combat is not there for me and the controls ARE AWFUL.

Geralt, move forward three steps please. Oh OK, you're going to move 6 steps and when I try to adjust you're going to over adjust...

The controls have NO FINESSE, they are so freaking clunky it makes the combat just a bunch of dodging and rolling and hoping for the best.

Are there any mods for the controls to sharpen the response? I'm using a controller..

So....I played the crap out of this game upon release until I got so frustrated with the controls that I put it down until a few weeks ago.

The combat gets a C in my book. It's not awful, but it most certainly is NOT any good. Is it really hard? Yes. But that doesn't make it any better. The diversity in combat is not there for me and the controls ARE AWFUL.

Geralt, move forward three steps please. Oh OK, you're going to move 6 steps and when I try to adjust you're going to over adjust...

The controls have NO FINESSE, they are so freaking clunky it makes the combat just a bunch of dodging and rolling and hoping for the best.

Are there any mods for the controls to sharpen the response? I'm using a controller..

at what difficulty level are you playing?
are you following the suggested quest?

You can't do a quest that is suggested for level 30 if you are level 10

Try the 'alternative' movement in the in-game settings. As for the combat there is not much you can do. TW2 had a decent combat mod that one of the devs made in his spare time. But I don't see that happening with TW3.

Try the 'alternative' movement in the in-game settings. As for the combat there is not much you can do. TW2 had a decent combat mod that one of the devs made in his spare time. But I don't see that happening with TW3.

There is s a mod that turns all the combat into Gwent battles... Just sayin' :)

The problem is the game controls like a marionette puppet. Movements and attacks feel delayed and overextended.

Death March makes me depend heavily on the whole package of the combat system.
Signs, melee, potions and saving my foods.

I recommend playing on Death March on NG+

What a difference.

Turn on GSync
Do Combat in Witcher 3
Rejoice

HOLY SHIT. Combat is so smooth now. How could I have been missing this shit.

Turn on GSync
Do Combat in Witcher 3
Rejoice

HOLY SHIT. Combat is so smooth now. How could I have been missing this shit.

See? Posts like yours are going to make me do something rash sooner rather than later. ;)

Max in game graphics except turn sharpening to medium rather then high as high makes the game look like hazy cow dung.

Then head to/download Nexus Mods Manager program / make account (free).

1. http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021/?

2. http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/949/?

3. Enjoy the game (looks fabulous on 1080-4k resolution).

I haven't had the same results using high on sharpening here although I'll experiment for laughs. I have everything maxed out in the game and I also have High Quality 16 AF on from the Nvidia Control Panel which really looks good as well.

I have been eyeballing those mods but wondered about bugs and performance issues. They look great.

Can you switch difficulty at any time? I started on death march and cant get past the first fight lol

Granted ive never played a witcher game before. It also is weird that I cant get to any of the options within the game. Do you really have to exit to get there? I started a new game and had to deal with uninverted joystick for awhile until I just said fuck it and quit the game. No idea how much progress I lost... but it'd be nice to tweak settings from within the game.

Last edited:
I have been eyeballing those mods but wondered about bugs and performance issues. They look great.

All my graphics settings in NV Control Panel are application controlled or recommended default.

That said with the LOD mod load times is a bit longer when you continue/load from an existing save.

As with changing difficulty during an existing game save progress, don't think it's possible. I know on 1.05 there was a console debug command to do so. Not sure with the latest 1.11/HoS DLC patch. Game is too easy on anything other than Death March difficulty.

You can change difficulty at any time. Even Gwent difficulty solely.

Has anyone found a mod that removes the distance fog or at least tones it down?

You know after the 2nd 1.08 patch I didn't realise there was a difficulty adjustment for gwent (which is too easy once you get the hang of it a relatively good deck). Was surprised when I saw an option for it.

As with mods, your best bet is to browse on the Nexusmods board and see if there is anything for it.

You know after the 2nd 1.08 patch I didn't realise there was a difficulty adjustment for gwent (which is too easy once you get the hang of it a relatively good deck). Was surprised when I saw an option for it.

Yeah, and on the highest difficult it is my favourite part of the game right now, when I've seen the story and how it ends.

You can change difficulty at any time. Even Gwent difficulty solely.

Has anyone found a mod that removes the distance fog or at least tones it down?

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/949/?

I've been impressed with this.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Regardless of GPU brand, there are view tweaks here that also go to some of that when it comes to viewing distance and objects at a distance and so forth. Experiment carefully.

I enjoyed the story line in the first two but never finished them because I got tired of dealing with the controls and movement. Specifically I felt movement was just not responsive enough and sluggish. Only thing that has stopped me from buying the game have been complaints about the controls. But I have seen a few post in other threads mentioning they had improved since release?

Anyone out there who felt the same about the first games but is happy with the controls now in the third?

I enjoyed the story line in the first two but never finished them because I got tired of dealing with the controls and movement. Specifically I felt movement was just not responsive enough and sluggish. Only thing that has stopped me from buying the game have been complaints about the controls. But I have seen a few post in other threads mentioning they had improved since release?

Anyone out there who felt the same about the first games but is happy with the controls now in the third?

The controls feel sluggish and not entirely responsive. I heard some recent patches have fixed it though.

Getting to this W3 party a little late.. playing today for the first time and in 4k.. whoa. I can say this for it, it's really pretty.

Getting to this W3 party a little late.. playing today for the first time and in 4k.. whoa. I can say this for it, it's really pretty.

Same here, bought it on NYE and put in about 20hrs so far. Playing it on a 1440 21:9 G-sync monitor with dual 980's on ultra with a bunch of mods and it's beautiful!

Combat is far from terrible. The fact that the RPG part of the game is the best ever, I'm surprised the combat is as good as it is honestly. The only thing that I don't like about the game is that it raised the bar so high that it's gonna be hard for me to be happy with future games. Damn you Witcher 3.

I agree. Enjoyed the story and RPG aspect. I thought the combat was all right. It was certainly an improvement from Witcher 2. Witcher 3 does raise the bar high though. I already got the Hearts of Stone DLC, and I am looking forward to Blood and Wine DLC.

is there someone playing this game at 4K?
I'm running a GTX980 Ti SLI but if I max it out at that resolution I don't get 60FPS, at least not always.
Sometimes framerate drops to 50FPS and it is annoying.

Is there some settings that I can lower to gain 10 FPS without lowering too much the quality?

Another guy late to the party. Put about 35 hours into the game since Christmas, playing it via Steam Link on my 50" plasma TV with the Steam controller and having an absolutely blast. My wife is even enjoying watching/helping me with quests. The story, graphics, characters and voice acting are simply top notch. I'm level 14 and still very early in the game as even the secondary quests are entertaining (more so than Dragon Age: Inquisition).

What graphics settings are people with a single 970 running? I'm playing it at 1080p (on my TV) pretty much maxed except for Hairworks on Geralt only, 4 hairworks samples, shadows and foilage distance at high instead of ultra. Seems pretty good, oddly the frames slow down mostly when inside buildings using witcher senses, maybe since the camera is closer to Geralt's hair?

Edit: I should probably say I don't mind lower fps in an RPG than FPS games. I'm probably dropping into the 30's regularly given the settings on a single 970 but don't mind so much because the graphics look amazing.

Last edited:
Back