The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

For healing, Quen is ridiculous. Igni destroys everything except people who can't be burned. That's all you need.

Side note - Where'd you find a lvl 36 fiend?

Agreed. Had to train myself to use Alt Quen, kept forgetting about it. Work great against anything that does AOE damage like the fire throwing golems.

Found the Fiend in Skellige when looking for the master crafted Griffin steel sword diagram. He was red and black, fur looked pretty cool late dusk.

Hmm... sounds like one I should've met... but I don't remember seeing anything that high level.

This was right after...

Finding Ciri, saving Sorceresses and preparing to sail away with everybody.

I was level 25-27, don't remeber. I leveled 3 times through the course of those events. Just remember going "oh, this will be fun" when I saw his number in red and doing the math, lol. Igni wrecks anything organic, armor or no (when fully upgraded). I'm going to have to force myself to abandon it for Aard after end game.

I'm having such a love hate relationship with this game. I think if it had been published by anyone other than the terrible CDPR I would've liked it a lot more... a whole lot more.

It's good that this is the final Geralt game though. That makes me happy. Now maybe these guys will create a game in the same universe without tying us down to a pre-made character with an annoying gravely voice.

CDPR needs to learn about customization, of which there is none in these Geralt games... these Geralt simulators.

Get out more dude, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Last edited:
Finished my first playthrough... loved the every moment of this game. I think I got the "happy" ending, if there is thing like happiness for the Witcher universe. Now, from the endings I know the key points and where I'll go with different choices on my next playthrough.... there are so many combinations, that I want try tchem all.

And seriously, Bioware could learn, how your actions influence endings. Even DA series can hang its head in shame. Witcher reminds me a lot of Fallout 1/2 series - where your decisions in each and every town really influenced the endings. Especially as a lot of changes comes not from main game quest - it only determines the future of Geralt, Ciri and Yen - the secondary quests are the one that help shape the world nad really have influence on what you see at the end.

Finally got some time to play the game and enjoying it immensely. Just finished the Bloody Baron story line and just checking off side quests/markers before I tackle Novigrad. One question though, do we get to fight more humans later on in the game? I enjoy chopping bandits in half but it seems to be a 10-1 monster to human enemy ratio so far in the game.

I'm having such a love hate relationship with this game. I think if it had been published by anyone other than the terrible CDPR I would've liked it a lot more... a whole lot more.

Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. I don't think this game would have been nearly as good if anyone but CDPR had done it. Too much Publisher "no we need to shape for largest audience" in this industry. CDPR stuck to the guns that needed sticking too imo. They my usurp Valve as my most respected Developer if Cyberpunk 2077 is as good.

And seriously, Bioware could learn, how your actions influence endings. Even DA series can hang its head in shame. Witcher reminds me a lot of Fallout 1/2 series - where your decisions in each and every town really influenced the endings. Especially as a lot of changes comes not from main game quest - it only determines the future of Geralt, Ciri and Yen - the secondary quests are the one that help shape the world nad really have influence on what you see at the end.

Agreed. I am a Bioware fan, but I think they need to take greater risk with consequences and not be so afraid of making everyone happy. Of course they did that (in a way) with ME3's ending and that didn't go so well. It would have helped if they hadn't just phoned it in however. That was possibly the most disconnected ending to a story I have ever played. Anyway, to be fair ME ended up getting its hands tied by all the importable game save decisions (which the Witcher series does too, but restricted enough not to strangle the story) which prevented it from inevitably doing what W3 was so successful at.

Finally got some time to play the game and enjoying it immensely. Just finished the Bloody Baron story line and just checking off side quests/markers before I tackle Novigrad. One question though, do we get to fight more humans later on in the game? I enjoy chopping bandits in half but it seems to be a 10-1 monster to human enemy ratio so far in the game.

There are plenty of humans to fight. I think monsters are technically higher though... I never really measured the ratio... though, so I could be wrong, but I do remember more monsters than humans.

There are plenty of humans to fight. I think monsters are technically higher though... I never really measured the ratio... though, so I could be wrong, but I do remember more monsters than humans.

Depending on if you choose to be a nice guy or harda$$, there are plenty of humans to fight in this game.

Well, yea. But I think monsters are still more plentiful. Contracts and all.

All you do in this damned main quest is search for Ciri - it just feels so linear.

Truth be told, I care nothing about Ciri - and I would be genuinely shocked if anybody told me that they had any kind of emotional attachment to her. If you want me to care about your characters, then you have to make me invest in them. All we're told is that Geralt raised Ciri as though she was his own child, and that now she's lost.

So what. Stay lost. She's an annoying person to begin with. The Ciri sequences are absolutely dreadful. These forced arcade sequences take you out of the game, and have no business being in an RPG. What was CDPR thinking when they inserted this nonsense? - were they seriously trying to make me care about Ciri, and thus make me feel more invested in the main quest?

If that's the case then CDPR's writers need to be fired immediately.

The other problem with this game is that it doesn't allow you to wander away from the main quest too much. Normally, I'm a huge admirer of non-level-scaled RPGs. But in this game it's just not working. In this game, if you're out exploring in the wilds, and come across an NPC that's level-scaled way above where you are in the main-quest, then it's pointless engaging that character.

1) it will take you forever to kill that character, and 2) there's no reward if you actually do kill it.

The points system in this game simply does not reward exploration - you gain experience, not from roaming about in the wilds, but from sticking to the dreadful main quest, searching for that fucking Ciri.

Honestly, right there, all the fun is just sucked out of this game. What I love in an RPG is the experience of getting the living daylights knocked out of me by an NPC, and then going away and spending six or seven or eight hours out in the wilds, strengthening my character, and then returning to the first NPC and letting him have it. THAT'S what great RPGs are made of.

In this game you just get points for searching for Ciri - god it's awful.

You should read then books and play the earlier games... it's like playing ME and suddenly bitching, that Shephard has to find some awful space machines that invaded Earth...

FF7 was only about following Sephiroth.

Anyway, while I can't say I feel much attachment to Ciri in the beginning, I actually do like her character. When she is found, they do a good job showing her character imo. Though, I do agree that the Ciri fighting parts are... sub par.

You should read then books and play the earlier games... it's like playing ME and suddenly bitching, that Shephard has to find some awful space machines that invaded Earth...

He hasn't forgiven CDPR for his issues with TW1 and TW2 all these years ago to have anything good to say about TW3, despite TW3 being actually playable, looking great even with a visual cutback, and having a great story with some of the best voice acting in ages. He's got enough experience with TW series to know the main character was a set figure and how things would be.

I wont say TW3 didn't/doesn't have issues, but at least most people could actually play it when it launched (unlike B:AK), and CDPR have put out plenty of patches to tweak it since then.

Makes you wonder why he even bothered to get/play TW3 with how badly burnt he felt about 1 & 2, and still carries the anger about it to this day based on his other posts.

He hasn't forgiven CDPR for his issues with TW1 and TW2 all these years ago to have anything good to say about TW3, despite TW3 being actually playable, looking great even with a visual cutback, and having a great story with some of the best voice acting in ages.

But did you even bother reading my post?

How can you defend this game? In almost any truly great non-level-scaled RPG you'll encounter NPCs well above your current level. That's wonderful. You can't defeat them. It gives you a feeling of weakness.

So what do you do?

You go away and explore the world and engage in combat with many hostile NPCs - some below your present level, others well above. And you get rewarded for doing so. Maybe you spend twelve hours exploring the world in this manner.

You then return to the previous NPCs who seemed so difficult before - but now you've grown in power, and you defeat them by the skin of your teeth. That is incredibly rewarding and satisfying.

And astonishingly it's missing in this game. I discovered within hours of playing this game that you can explore the world all you want. You can defeat NPC after NPC and it's not going to do you a lick of good.

No. They way you progress in this game is by searching for this dumb Ciri character.

Could you please explain to me how the following makes any sense: There's a monster in the game. Let's call it Monster A. You can't defeat this monster. It's too difficult. So how do you gain the experience to take it on? Not by going out and killing other monsters, but by searching for Ciri.

Wow. How fucking brilliant is that. You spend eight hours killing NPCs - many of them well above your level - and that doesn't do the trick. But spending an hour searching for some stupid girl allows you to go back and defeat Monster A.

Fucking idiotic.

The Witcher 3 is actually designed for people who don't want to level up by exploring the world, but by just following the main quest.

Clearly CDPR was doing a lot of hand holding here - they want you to finish their game fairly easily.

That comes at a cost: the game has absolutely no soul.

Wabe you give too much thoughts into this
CDPR made witcher 3 to make money not to please you
just move on and play games you actually enjoy

I remember seeing a comment from CDPR that they felt bad about the visual cutback and they were considering reintroducing some of these visual options for PC users. Did I imagine that, or is that still in the works? Anyone know?

I remember seeing a comment from CDPR that they felt bad about the visual cutback and they were considering reintroducing some of these visual options for PC users. Did I imagine that, or is that still in the works? Anyone know?

possibly with Enhanced Edition

Wabe you give too much thoughts into this
CDPR made witcher 3 to make money not to please you
just move on and play games you actually enjoy

Yeah, but I thought forums were supposed to be places where you air your views?

Also, I wasn't over-thinking it. I thought that the fundamental flaw with this game was actually pretty obvious.

Yeah, but I thought forums were supposed to be places where you air your views?

Also, I wasn't over-thinking it. I thought that the fundamental flaw with this game was actually pretty obvious.

I like that I level up on the main quests. I'm nearing end of my 1st playthrough and it's making it so that I don't have to grind the living fuck out of the game to do the story.

2nd playthrough will be more completionist.

eh, the game is not made to be a grindfest. quests give xp. monsters give very few. same goes for finding caches and the various ? on the map. The contracts however are good. As for monsters, if you can manage quen well then you can beat them as long as they are not red skulls. Those you want to come back to.

For the mention of mass effect, if only. The ending would have been phenomenal if it had included all the things you had done, species you had saved (or not) and so forth. Instead you get colorful explosions and a tacked on summary cutscene. It could have been so much better. Hope they are paying attention for their next installment.

possibly with Enhanced Edition

LOL!

Ah... the inevitable 'enhanced edition'. See the pattern? CDPR makes promises they can't deliver on. Then goes into full-on P.R. mode by releasing an enhanced edition 18 months later.

How about this: either stick to the original promises, or simply refrain from plying your loyal followers with bogus promotional material in order to generate hype for your game.

Fucking CDPR. They're worse than EA.

I like that I level up on the main quests. I'm nearing end of my 1st playthrough and it's making it so that I don't have to grind the living fuck out of the game to do the story.

2nd playthrough will be more completionist.

So you actually like it that spending eight hours adventuring in the wilderness amounts to nothing, but spending one hour looking for a blond haired waif allows you to take on higher level NPCs?

Wow.

I sure as fuck hope that shit doesn't catch on.

I don't mind it either way.. but what's wrong with the system it's got? And though it matters little to me because it's a bit arbitrary, but it even makes more sense lore/storytelling wise. Killing something doesn't mean you get a lot of experience, but interactions and scenarios give you more experience.

That said, VTM:B does it better. Exp for the quest and extra for doing things in certain ways. Only issue with it is that to maximize, you have to do things a certain way. It'd be better if it were more even.

That comes at a cost: the game has absolutely no soul.

It has soul coming out of its ears. It makes the Elder Scrolls games feel like abandoned theme parks full of shop window mannequins.

And the fact that they designed the game to play a certain way isn't a "flaw". The Witcher games, based on novels, are story-driven games. The fact that they opened up the world in 3 doesn't mean it is obliged to subscribe to your (narrow) view of how open world games should function. It's not some shitty EQ clone minus the multiplayer, which is what it sounds like you were hoping for.

Fucking CDPR. They're worse than EA.

43ddDwa.jpg

It has soul coming out of its ears. It makes the Elder Scrolls games feel like abandoned theme parks full of shop window mannequins.

And the fact that they designed the game to play a certain way isn't a "flaw". The Witcher games, based on novels, are story-driven games. The fact that they opened up the world in 3 doesn't mean it is obliged to subscribe to your (narrow) view of how open world games should function. It's not some shitty EQ clone minus the multiplayer, which is what it sounds like you were hoping for.

Oh, please, story driven games... wow, incredible story in this game... find Ciri. LOL!

Just started playing the game.

Why do they have to give Dwarves Scottish accents ??? :confused:

Hate that.

Anyhow, so far seems pretty good.

Trying to figure out if I prefer Mouse+KB or XBox controller.

Just started playing the game.

Why do they have to give Dwarves Scottish accents ??? :confused:

Hate that.

Anyhow, so far seems pretty good.

Trying to figure out if I prefer Mouse+KB or XBox controller.

And Geralt has an American accent, and a bunch of other people have British accents. Meanwhile the Nilfgardians sound like they're French.

Oh, please, story driven games... wow, incredible story in this game... find Ciri. LOL!

Save the world. LOL!
Resolve a conflict. LOL!
You get the point... or so I hope. But I'm not so sure considering your posts so far.

Non-spoilery question: When you wrap up the quest with Yen that essentially ends Act 1, are you locked out of all the sidequests you may have hanging in Skel or Novi?

Non-spoilery question: When you wrap up the quest with Yen that essentially ends Act 1, are you locked out of all the sidequests you may have hanging in Skel or Novi?

I'm about 90% sure the answer to this question is No, unless I have a lot more of the game left to finish than I thought and didn't get to the mission you're talking about. I've been doing pretty much all of the side missions I could as I found them, but after doing the first big set of missions with Yen, nothing went away or was failed. You can still free-travel and go back to the side-missions later. I'm not sure how the end-game works yet, but I'm under the impression it'll still be open to explore and do side-quests. That way CDPR is free to add in expansions etc later.

So you actually like it that spending eight hours adventuring in the wilderness amounts to nothing, but spending one hour looking for a blond haired waif allows you to take on higher level NPCs?

Wow.

I sure as fuck hope that shit doesn't catch on.

Yes that's the way it should be. Doing quests should ALWAYS give you more experience. And it's how all RPGs are designed. Though in most they give you the same experience for killing things then add bonus experience for doing a quest. The way it's done in Witcher 3 I think is the best way. It stops the mass murdering types from gaining from their work. I like that they put in a unofficial code of behavior into the game in a reasonable way. You are free to do what you want, just don't expect to gain much from doing it in that manner. I expect many open world type games will learn and copy this feature.

Back