The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

ok I fully agree with Limahl, very fun... and damn did I get side tracked last night... I am in the Baron quest right now waiting to have him show me the grave site when I accept it. How do you unlock the baron's gold keep if possible? also a couple locked buildings in his manner area inside his castle area...

Also I have yet to craft a single weapon but have plenty of gear plans as I have been hitting every ? mark... whats the best sets or colors to go for?

Been getting a fair amount of driver crashes since moving to Velen from the starting area. Does rolling back help? I am on the latest nVidia driver.

Also I have yet to craft a single weapon but have plenty of gear plans as I have been hitting every ? mark... whats the best sets or colors to go for?

Serpentine sword set is a good starting one...you can google to find out how to get the plans.

question about the follow up to the baron quest:
so hes off with his wife to some healer and the guy he left in charge basically let the whole army lose and they are all over velen fucking shit up with about 50 new question marks popping up. what do i get out of clearing that all out? i was so proud of exploring everything and having the map cleared then this shit happened.

also, dont ever fuck with guards, i thought well, those bastards, ill show em, and they turned out to be 3 level 36 dudes and wiped the floor with me, taking about 2000 coins from me

Aha! I ran into this last night. I tried to loot a chest or something, and the guards got really mad, and killed me. I was shocked

basically you just go with all light medium or heavy, then put a point into either cat, griffin or bear. cat being for critical hits & fast damage, griffin for signs & stamina, & bear for vitality and heavy damage

with cat, you can find weapons that have a +crit % and up to a 50% crit bump and you can do some serious damage

also, another thing I just found - you can dismantle gear to recover runes. dammit, wish I knew that sooner :(

also, another thing I just found - you can dismantle gear to recover runes. dammit, wish I knew that sooner :(

Hm, that is weird - because removing the rune would otherwise destroy it... so I guess the mechanic is to either keep the rune or keep the gear?

basically you just go with all light medium or heavy, then put a point into either cat, griffin or bear. cat being for critical hits & fast damage, griffin for signs & stamina, & bear for vitality and heavy damage

with cat, you can find weapons that have a +crit % and up to a 50% crit bump and you can do some serious damage

I'm going cat - focusing on crits and bleeds

the bugs i see in this game are sometimes really funny..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sk5hapFek8

Bahahaha that's a crazy horse!

Anywho, I followed the nVidia settings tweaking guide (of the user file) for grass density and now my grass is sometimes there, sometimes short, sometimes normal density and sometimes my adjusted density. I tried adjusting some other settings to no avail. Anyone bother with setting files yet?

I am thinking I'll just reload the normal settings file, use my extra performance for more DSR and wait for plug and play mods.

And about skill points - I think I am going to go the fast attack route too. Seems more Witcher like.

Been getting a fair amount of driver crashes since moving to Velen from the starting area. Does rolling back help? I am on the latest nVidia driver.

I found that Witcher 3 needs another 10mV to remain stable on my 980.
Tried everything else bar lowering clock speed and it was always crashing.
Since I added 10mV, stable as a rock, not one crash.

Interesting..any real danger to doing that? Haven't really had problems with any other games and my overclocks are very minimal.

Okay, so I ran into a merchant who was using the anvil.
Yet he was selling weapons and armor kits. And I could not repair, dismantle etc.... just buy or sell
Wtf? Is this a glitch?
Blacksmiths sell the weapons I thought. As well, I've never seen a merchant using an anvil. They usually just stand around.

As well, it seems some merchants share the same stuff.
For example, I've sold some things to one merchant, and some other merchant has the exact same items I've sold to the other merchant.

Okay, so I ran into a merchant who was using the anvil.
Yet he was selling weapons and armor kits. And I could not repair, dismantle etc.... just buy or sell
Wtf? Is this a glitch?
Blacksmiths sell the weapons I thought. As well, I've never seen a merchant using an anvil. They usually just stand around.

As well, it seems some merchants share the same stuff.
For example, I've sold some things to one merchant, and some other merchant has the exact same items I've sold to the other merchant.

I've had this happen too. Several of the merchants have the same items I've sold.

Interesting..any real danger to doing that? Haven't really had problems with any other games and my overclocks are very minimal.

The card will protect itself from heat problems but its wise to keep an eye on them in case the card needs a clean.
10mV isnt very much, a small increase, try it and see how you get on.
If it helps but the crashes dont completely stop, you may need a little more.
If it works straight away, you may be able to get away with less.

Use MSI Afterburner to create a fan profile with slightly faster fan.
I do this anyway.

That was going to be my guess at a solution as well. I'm rock stable on my 970's but this game really makes them work their silicon asses off.

GTA5 was bad for that, but I think TW3 beats it by a fair amount.

Loving the game though... every bloody moment of it. :D

The card will protect itself from heat problems but its wise to keep an eye on them in case the card needs a clean.
10mV isnt very much, a small increase, try it and see how you get on.
If it helps but the crashes dont completely stop, you may need a little more.
If it works straight away, you may be able to get away with less.

Use MSI Afterburner to create a fan profile with slightly faster fan.
I do this anyway.

Cool, will try this when I get home...thanks for the advice.

Any one tried playing it with a nvidia 970m or are there any benchmarks for cards? I haven't seen any, and I won't be able to play for about a month.

Is anyone else finding shit for loot now?

I don't get it, I remember reading a while back that they were going to "Scale" loot (so if you found something it would be useful to you then) and diagrams were going to not be scaled so you'd still have items to "look forward to."

However either the scaling system is horribly broken or they did not set a minimum level for items.

I am currently level 6 in Velen (just got to the Baron mission everyone is talking about) and I'm taking my time exploring that region and I come across this tower guarded by a level 14 wyrven. I sneak past it into the tower to loot some treasures and I literally found a TWO lv 1 armor sets (which look cool, but are completely and utterly useless compared to my current armor that's lv 5) and a lv 2 pair of gloves and boots.

I have noticed it's been like that for a while now, I never seem to find anything for "my level" it's always really really low (usually lv 1 or 3, nothing at lv 5 or 6), and this is including "guarded treasure" chests or hidden treasures that are guarded by much higher level creatures.

Seems like they should have set a minium level on top of the scaling "down" for things like that, bit disappointing to sneak inside and take your time to get to a hidden treasure only to find a bunch of useless junk.

well, I have found some level 34 diagrams. but really if you can't kill a monster you should not be there, I think there is scaling for equipment sets. Example I found the feline diagrams and everything is my level. But I also had found the assassin stuff earlier, and I keep finding upgraded diagrams for it so I am pleased with how it goes. Anyway if you have a quest for certain types of gear you should go for it.

one other thing, many of the loot chests do not open or require a key. if the symbol is still white you have not found the loot chest

Last edited:
well, I have found some level 34 diagrams. but really if you can't kill a monster you should not be there, I think there is scaling for equipment sets. Example I found the feline diagrams and everything is my level. But I also had found the assassin stuff earlier, and I keep finding upgraded diagrams for it so I am pleased with how it goes. Anyway if you have a quest for certain types of gear you should go for it.

one other thing, many of the loot chests do not open or require a key. if the symbol is still white you have not found the loot chest

I'm not talking about Diagrams, those do not scale (they are set at a level), I am talking about looted armor/weapons, etc.

Those are meant to scale to your level range so the gear is useful when you get it (rather then it being set at a level and you not being able to use it until then, unlike diagrams).

However for me I am finding a low of low lv (1-3) range gear, even though I'm level 6. On top of this , as I said, it's loot guarded by lv 12+ enemies, so it doesn't make much sense.

Also part of the fun (for me at least) in games like this (Was the same with Gothic) is trying to tackle the higher level enemies even if it's difficult.

I am currently level 6 in Velen (just got to the Baron mission everyone is talking about)

that baron mission is like a whole story arch taking up to 4 hours, at least thats how long i spent with the fat bastard, iirc

one of the best quests of any game ever. so very memorable. enjoy it!

However for me I am finding a low of low lv (1-3) range gear, even though I'm level 6. On top of this , as I said, it's loot guarded by lv 12+ enemies, so it doesn't make much sense.

i think the items are in level brackets. im currently level 20 and i either find stuff for 23+ or items lower than 18. the game is just weird that way i think. id say ive had a weapon upgrade every 2-3 levels though, so thats nice. experimenting with different runes to put into those is satisfying enough so far. put in a rune for 5% stun chance, and all enemies just get stunned left right and center.

that baron mission is like a whole story arch taking up to 4 hours, at least thats how long i spent with the fat bastard, iirc

one of the best quests of any game ever. so very memorable. enjoy it!

Agreed. Thus far into the game (about 15 hours, level 9) the Baron was my favorite by far.

I fired it up earlier to play through the Baron (after hearing so much about it) and it was very enjoyable, in a sad way. Almost makes me want to keep playing.

I fired it up earlier to play through the Baron (after hearing so much about it) and it was very enjoyable, in a sad way. Almost makes me want to keep playing.

yeah, it can turn out so many different ways. all of them suck honestly, but im sure it will stick with me for a long while.
also, make sure to get the gwent card from him. i messed that part up and im not sure you can get it from somewhere else. what is the card you get from him, does anyone know?

also @taintedsquirrel: dont fight it, the game is wonderful in so many aspects. i know you have a lot of hate towards it. just swallow that pride of yours and try to enjoy it. ya big baby.

Skyrim has horrible writing, boring filler quests, zero choice & consequence, copy/pasted dungeons, button-mashing combat at every difficulty and every town feels like it's abandoned.

The best about Skyrim is mods. Fuck the vanilla version. Modding is your friend.

there is a zombie glitch, where there must be an exception in the character rendering process. I have only seen it on one character, and not after a reload. This person below has it big time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4skOHKEbgU

I had a glitch on only one single character, a whore, who moved forward without walking animation. Just gliding on the ground. Now unlike in the video above she was not in "jesus pose" (nor did she have face missing), just in normal standing pose with hand on her waist but otherwise not animating. Only when she stop to change direction did she have a moving animation and then continued gliding.

Kind of reminded me of the vampire girls in Mel Brooks Dracula. I keep kicking myself why I did not fire up Fraps and record it because it was very funny moment. :D

Igni........ is so overpowered. Seriously... beat a lvl 26 ish Leshen at lvl 17 with Almost all Igni alone. It only took a somewhat long time because I wanted to see him beat up some NPCs who appeared out of nowhere. Else I'd have that battle done in like 5 minutes, if that.

Though, most enemies, at higher lvl don't get burned or knocked down by Aard, or stunned by Axii... etc. Kind of sucks... especially when the burn rate is "100%."

This is hilarious.
Some player found this book in TW3.
http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-takes-shots-at-drm-1707277761

"The Defensive Regulatory Magicon (or DRM for short) belongs to the above-mentioned group of the longest-lasting, most effective and hardest to break defensive mechanisms. In order to recognize the individual administering it, it makes use of a portal mounted at the entrance of the area it is to defend. This portal passes streams of magical energy through the body of the person entering and can, in the blink of an eye, determine if this person has the corporeal signature (eyeball structure included) of the entitled administrator. As a result, the only unauthorized individuals that can possibly hope to enter are mimics.

DRM thus makes for an extremely effective and near-unbreakable security measure - but you are in luck, for you hold in your hands the key to bypassing it, namely the present tome, Gottfried’s Omni-opening Grimore, or GOG for short. In the pages to follow you will find innumerable methods for deactivating DRM, or, even better, bypassing it altogether (…)"

1271148315932240935.png

Last edited:
Back