The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

So how do the actual graphics look? Do they look down graded? Color tone seems to have been brightened, which isn't "better" or "worse" but is a different art style. That aside, going from the older trailer and screen shots, it does look like the view distance was reduced, grass quality was turned down and there is less smoke/fog in the distance (might be the time the comparisons were taken). But I don't have the game. So how does the actual game look?

"fantastic" no. the game looks painfully average, and runs even worse. honestly it's a joke. i wouldn't care if performance was in line with how the game looks because i don't care so much about graphics, but it's not. it's about on par with how hard gta v is to run, yet gta v looks significantly better (whether or not you like the art style of the game, on a technical level gta v does much, much more than witcher 3 does.) i'm putting off even playing until the next patch is released because i can't stomach getting 40 fps on a 970 with a game that looks like an oil painting.

Here is what we call a PICNIC.

Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

"Average"? GTFU. Meaning that half the games on the market are better graphically than this game? OK :)

I'm running this game just fine 50 FPS with a freaking 670 and 2500K...on high

Something in the latest patch murdered my framerate. I changed the HairWorks AA back to 2x but I am still getting a lot of stutter and frame drops compared to before 1.03. Not very pleased at all.

So how do the actual graphics look? Do they look down graded? Color tone seems to have been brightened, which isn't "better" or "worse" but is a different art style. That aside, going from the older trailer and screen shots, it does look like the view distance was reduced, grass quality was turned down and there is less smoke/fog in the distance (might be the time the comparisons were taken). But I don't have the game. So how does the actual game look?

The graphics are more then adequate for an open world rpg.

The faces especially are very good and animations, etc.

No it's not as "good" as the earlier trailers (they already came out and admitted that those graphics didn't work out and they remade the renderer after those videos).

Still graphics aside it's a very enjoyable game if you like open world rpgs.

I think they fucked up HairWorks even worse. If I turn that off I can regain my lost performance. Sucks because it was working fine with 2x AA on the previous patch.

Just kidding, now there is just massive stutter as well. Brilliant.

I think they fucked up HairWorks even worse. If I turn that off I can regain my lost performance. Sucks because it was working fine with 2x AA on the previous patch.

Just kidding, now there is just massive stutter as well. Brilliant.

play fullscreen if you aren't already.

Anyone gone bankrupt?
Didn't spend much, only on cards, and I can barely repair my items.
Just ran straight through the main story, maybe I need to search some well paid side quests.

Anyone gone bankrupt?
Just ran straight through the main story, maybe I need to search some well paid side quests.

Yeah you need to do some of the side stuff if you need money. Fistfights and horse races pay very well.

You should also do the sidequests because they are extremely well made. You won't find Dragon Age Inquisition/Skyrim 'quantity over quality' fetch quests here.

Anyone gone bankrupt?

i'm about 30 hours into my game play and have like 7000 crowns doing nothing
i just got to Novigrad after doing 90%+ of doing quests and visiting marked area in Velen

I am getting by money wise. It's a bit tough at the start but it is getting easier, though I have to say just like in every other RPG made the merchants rip you off big time. Honestly I don't like the fist fighting and the horse racing things. It's weird it just breaks my immersion with the story. There are a lot of quests and the world is pretty massive and I am only in Velen, 200 hours seems like a low estimate for me ;) . I like to just explore and clear out bandits and monster layers, but I am a bit disappointed though that I couldn't find anyone that would ask me to clear out the nests in the nearby towns. I found one guy that wanted me to clear out something, and got a slider box that let me haggle for a price. I was really surprised, but it didn't seem to work at all. I put the slider about half way and he complained it was too high so I lowered it half more, same thing. So I put it at 5 over the min and still no go. So I raised it to max to make the haggling stop and leave. Weird thing is after that haggling stopped, you only had the option to accept it and get what money was set if you complete the task, but it doesn't give a number so you don't know till you actually complete the task what you're getting.

Helps slightly but doesn't fix the HairWorks issues that were introduced.

you try this?

/witcher 3 wild hunt/bin/config/base/rendering.ini
open with notepad or watever

change following line
UseHairWorks=true
HairWorksAALevel=0 or 2 if you want some AA (although it still hurts your fps a bit)

then change it to read only

Cool random fact.
The Witcher 3 map - 52 sq/m.
City of San Francisco - 47 sq/m. Considering all the crap in this city, that's impressive.

Query:
Just installed gtx970, turned on physx visual indicator in nv control panel, and it displays as 'cpu' ingame.

Query:
Just installed gtx970, turned on physx visual indicator in nv control panel, and it displays as 'cpu' ingame.

It means your CPU is handling the PhysX.

Also to nitpick everyone else in this thread, it's Geral*t*, not Gerald

Thx, so strictly speaking, hairworks =/= gpu physx.

Pretty much.

Hairworks is a rendering simulation built on top of tesselation (with its own hair/fur motion physics simulation), and PhysX is a physics simulation engine (i.e. gravity, object collision/interaction) that does not affect rendering (directly).

Creepy ass game.

6w0eumb.png

We still playing, are we?

The game doesn't have GPU PhysX (on PC at least).

I have a dedicated a physx card, and while it mostly sits at zero percent, I noticed that in the first town it will go up to ten percent usage. It seems something is using gpu physx in very limited situations.

I have a dedicated a physx card, and while it mostly sits at zero percent, I noticed that in the first town it will go up to ten percent usage. It seems something is using gpu physx in very limited situations.

Darn I was hoping it would be more effective.

Man I need this long weekend to start. Only been able to play through the wraith fight since it came out. See myself sinking a lot of time into this. I needed a good break from d3

IMO, the days of a separate PhysX card being worthwhile are mostly over. The last time I really remember it really helping a lot were with the first two Batman games.

IMO, the days of a separate PhysX card being worthwhile are mostly over. The last time I really remember it really helping a lot were with the first two Batman games.

even on the batman games it didnt really add much to the experience in my opinion. Couple extra bats here and there, some rubble on the ground, and some cobwebs in the shafts just werent blowing enough minds for most folks to give a care about it.

even on the batman games it didnt really add much to the experience in my opinion. Couple extra bats here and there, some rubble on the ground, and some cobwebs in the shafts just werent blowing enough minds for most folks to give a care about it.

Agree that a lot of people don't care, but having the settings on high and seeing all these effects definitely increased the overall gameplay experience for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UNRp7Wrog

Especially right around 55 seconds, the penguin's freeze gun. That scene was excellent.

While it didn't affect the gameplay (which is great), I really liked the PhysX effects in the Batman games. The rolling smoke, papers on the ground, interactive objects, electric effects, freeze gun, etc. really made the game look great.

you try this?

/witcher 3 wild hunt/bin/config/base/rendering.ini
open with notepad or watever

change following line
UseHairWorks=true
HairWorksAALevel=0 or 2 if you want some AA (although it still hurts your fps a bit)

then change it to read only

Yep, that's what I meant by AA at 2x (setting that to 2). I had it set to 2 before the patch and it ran fine. After the patch, I set it to 2 (and set to read-only), and it runs like crap. So they changed something in how it renders. If I turn off HairWorks completely it runs fine, but I liked having it on and the performance was fine with 2x before the latest patch.

Game runs fine for me. I did the hairworks tweak and no issues. I think I will skip this patch for now.

I have read Reddit comments that either say the performance increased for them or the performance decreased, even on the same card sometimes. So it's hard to say what's going on.

I have read Reddit comments that either say the performance increased for them or the performance decreased, even on the same card sometimes. So it's hard to say what's going on.
People say "I installed the new patch and my fps dropped by HALF!" and crazy shit like that, I've never had anything ridiculous like that happen in my 20 years of PC gaming.
Ignore their nonsense.

Patch did absolutely nothing to my frame rate, just like pretty much every PC patch ever.

Well my FPS didn't get cut in half but there is a significant negative difference using the same settings as before.

for some reason i cant go fullscreen, it goes back to borderless instantly.

also, i have too much weight, is there a storage box? what should I throw out? I'm not carrying any extra weapons/armor

for some reason i cant go fullscreen, it goes back to borderless instantly.

also, i have too much weight, is there a storage box? what should I throw out? I'm not carrying any extra weapons/armor

I haven't picked the game up yet, but I read somewhere that you can leave things pretty much anywhere and they will still be there when you go back. I don't know how reliable it is, and you'd probably want to pick a place that's fairly central, so you know where to go back.

Back