The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

New downgrade screenshot as we get closer to launch:

http://i.imgur.com/fHs9WgH.jpg

There is a combination of factors that can be attributed to the difference between those two screenshots.

First and foremost, artistic/aesthetic change of direction. If you go back and watch the VGX Trailer, a lot of the scenes (particularly the one from that screenshot, and the swamp seen later on in the trailer) now have a very different aesthetic/feel to them. Before they were more washed out/neutral. Now, there is a lot more color/variety in place. We don't know if this was a decision made due to performance concerns across all 3 platforms, or if it was simply decided that they wanted the environments to look/feel different. This can have a very drastic effect on things, and can change the look and feel of a game entirely.

Second, we have heard from CDPR themselves that there are no versions of the game out in the wild that has "Ultra" or whatever enabled/shown. These builds and gameplay previews are most likely pre-production builds with that setting disabled. It might be the highest available settings with that build, but it might not be the highest possible settings available at release.

Third, that second screenshot is a horrible, ugly, smudgy screenshot of a youtube video. Hardly "definitive" by any means.

I'd like to take a moment and note the parallels between what we're seeing with Witcher 3's downgrade vs what we saw with W_D's downgrade.

Of course, CDPR is a company that we like and Ubisoft is a company that we don't like. As a result there's been a huge discrepancy in the community's response to these downgrades.
During W_D's downgrade scandal, Ubisoft was called the worst company ever, they lied about their game at E3, misrepresented their product, etc.

And yet CDPR does the same thing with Witcher 3, but apparently this time... It's not a downgrade, it's just a different in-game season? Oh there's no downgrade, it's just a crappy YouTube video... Sure guys. I mean it's not like both companies equally face the same generational limitations, right? And both companies equally misrepresent their products at games conventions, right?

I'd like to take a moment and note the parallels between what we're seeing with Witcher 3's downgrade vs what we saw with W_D's downgrade.

Of course, CDPR is a company that we like and Ubisoft is a company that we don't like. As a result there's been a huge discrepancy in the community's response to these downgrades.
During W_D's downgrade scandal, Ubisoft was called the worst company ever, they lied about their game at E3, misrepresented their product, etc.

And yet CDPR does the same thing with Witcher 3, but apparently this time... It's not a downgrade, it's just a different in-game season? Oh there's no downgrade, it's just a crappy YouTube video... Sure guys. I mean it's not like both companies equally face the same generational limitations, right? And both companies equally misrepresent their products at games conventions, right?

we haven't seen what ultra setting is like on PC yet
there's still hope

we don't know the extent of any Witcher 3 'downgrade'...once the game comes out if people see a major downgrade then I'm sure CDPR will get a lot of criticism...if the downgrade is minimal and the game still looks gorgeous and better then 95% of games then it won't be a big deal

Those 2 shots are not in the same location.
Where is the sign? Where is the trail? Where is the RIVER?

Poor comparison indeed.

we don't know the extent of any Witcher 3 'downgrade'...once the game comes out if people see a major downgrade then I'm sure CDPR will get a lot of criticism...if the downgrade is minimal and the game still looks gorgeous and better then 95% of games then it won't be a big deal

No way, Jose. Actually waiting for the game to come out and seeing for ourselves isn't enough drama to feed The Internet's daily quota of dumb. Better to get the pitchforks out now while its still speculation.

W3 still looks good, so any actual proof of a downgrade gets pushed to the side.
Unlike W_D which genuinely looked like crap. People had more to whine about.

The game is moddable, there is no need to worry about any graphics "downgrade". We should worry about quests, dialogs, npc day night cycles, and combat. Skyrim have thousands of mods fixing every little graphic details in the game, but the game is still boring.

Sigh, seriously it's like people have some kind of bone to grind with this "Downgrade" bullshit.

We do not know the extent, or if ANYTHING is "Downgraded" and won't know until you can compare actual legit ULTRA SCREENS (not screencaps of a freaking compressed youtube videooo).

Not to mention how hard it is to compare a screen when it's not even in the exact same spot nor the time of day which drastically changes the tone/color of the screen and shadow placements.

Look, you may be right. You may be wrong. We won't know until the game is released. Can you at least wait until then? Because right now, you just sound like a blubbering fool.

If you're right after launch, then you were right, and that's the end of it. CDPR will inevitably face some backlash from that.

I don't think anyone is explicitly saying your wrong. But the game is not out yet. Until that point, anything is speculation. Your looking to rain on their parade over something you cannot yet know to be true. There could be situational factors that are hampering the draw distance, which is really the biggest point of debate in the screenshot above. If the game releases and that's the maximum draw distance, night, day, rain, or shine, then there is a legitimate beef to be had. But right now, you don't know that. Same goes for the smoke. Maybe it's a graphics setting that's turned off. Maybe not. As for the foliage, I still don't have a problem with it. I think the dead grass looks bad. More shit doesn't mean better. I'll happily take the foliage in the second picture.

As far as the situation with Watch Dogs is concerned, there were different factors at play there. I don't necessarily think the issue was the downgrade. The issue was that they specifically created a pretend segment of the game for E3 (as was later confirmed digging though the games files). I don't think it was ever Ubisofts intention to create a game that looked on par with what they showed off. That's different than overshooting what you can accomplish visually, or having to make sacrifices for the sake of performance, stability, whatever.

If TW3 releases with a visual downgrade AND there is evidence to suggest they purposely manufactured segments of the game they knew did not represent the final target quality, that would be a problem. But if the game doesn't look as good perhaps because they increased the scale of the game and needed the additional horsepower, or certain graphical features didn't work proper and had to be removed, I can except that. A visual downgrade isn't necessary a problem, but knowingly deceptive advertising is.

I just hope the grass is filled in and not spotty on ultra... lack of vegatation kills it. I have a feeling it'll be fine since it's easy enough for them to add a slider for it.

And moddable! I didn't realize this. Nothing to worry about then. :)

Also the still screens on their facebook account have been looking better lately IMO....

New downgrade screenshot as we get closer to launch:

http://i.imgur.com/fHs9WgH.jpg

Not to justgo straight down the rabbit hole here on this one, but I remember some of the earlier videos and they do look much better than what we are seeing now with the 'downgrade'.

I think CDPR had a vision of the game they wanted to make, it looked similar to the early videos/screenshots, but the consoles just completely destroy all hope of this happening. They are simply too weak to handle modern games. I mean they can barely run DaS2 at 60fps. Hell you can run that at 4k 60fps on a GTX 660.

Blame the consoles.

I haven't heard any news about modding, not sure where that poster got his information.

CDPR confirmed a few weeks ago that the game would have its own version of Redkit. It doesn't sound like it will be there at launch, but they did say they want it out much sooner than the two years it took for TW2s mod tools.

"Max settings" is pretty arbitrary anyway, I have a hard time believing these streamers are all running at 4K with Ubersampling at the max rendering distance the engine can provide, etc, etc. Maybe CDPR is playing it smart and keeping their presets conservative so people think the game is "well-optimized" when really managing expectations is actually what studios have to worry about "optimizing" these days. Games can only look so good within the limits of the spectrum of hardware that exists on the market. It's not like one game can look CG and render at 100 fps on any given system while another ekes out doodoo at an erratic 30 fps once "optimizations" have been optimally implemented in an average dev cycle. Doesn't really work like that.

"Max settings" is pretty arbitrary anyway, I have a hard time believing these streamers are all running at 4K with Ubersampling at the max rendering distance the engine can provide, etc, etc. Maybe CDPR is playing it smart and keeping their presets conservative so people think the game is "well-optimized" when really managing expectations is actually what studios have to worry about "optimizing" these days. Games can only look so good within the limits of the spectrum of hardware that exists on the market. It's not like one game can look CG and render at 100 fps on any given system while another ekes out doodoo at an erratic 30 fps once "optimizations" have been optimally implemented in an average dev cycle. Doesn't really work like that.

Bro but they downgraded it. It got downgraded. CONFIRMED now by The Internet + a guy on Reddit. Do u even Reddit, bro? WAKE UP don't be one of the sheep. #NoPreOrders2015 #Downgraded #Potato

c06YxHH.jpg

Last edited:
Wow with those new graphics DPI revealed, it looks like it can run on the NES platform.

Wow with those new graphics DPI revealed, it looks like it can run on the NES platform.

They ultimately want to hit as many consoles as possible in order to maximize revenue. It makes sense, honestly. Suck to be a PC gamer anymore :*(

CDPR confirmed a few weeks ago that the game would have its own version of Redkit. It doesn't sound like it will be there at launch, but they did say they want it out much sooner than the two years it took for TW2s mod tools.

That's great to hear.

SDK confirmed? That would be fantastic.
Without that, it's just 'meh'.

Do you complain about every game? All I've ever seen you post is complaints about games--mainly the graphics. Try playing the game for fun, and not worrying to much about the graphics. If that doesn't do it for you, then perhaps gaming isn't really for you.

Bottom line is, why not wait for the release? Or you know, not a shitty compressed youtube video.

You can tell graphics don't matter to me because I have a 280X.
No, I just don't like to see gaming companies screw over gamers and us thanking them for the privilege.

Bro but they downgraded it. It got downgraded. CONFIRMED now by The Internet + a guy on Reddit. Do u even Reddit, bro? WAKE UP don't be one of the sheep. #NoPreOrders2015 #Downgraded #Potato]

But... the downgraded one has more saturated colour and higher contrast which, as every graphics modder knows, equals better image quality.

I believe they did lower the graphics a bit, like in draw distance and texture and something seems different with the colors from the old screen shot vs the new. Then again, the game is not even out yet and no one has had a chance to mess with in game settings.

well witcher 3's embargo ends a week before the launch
so we will have reviews on May 12th.. just about 2 weeks to go

You can tell graphics don't matter to me because I have a 280X.
No, I just don't like to see gaming companies screw over gamers and us thanking them for the privilege.

No one forced you to buy a game. If you aren't happy with the result don't buy it.

What would be the cheapest way to get this on preorder? On steam it's currently listed as €43.99 for me, probably because I own both of the previous games. On GMG it's $59.99, no discount.Origin is €53.99. Again, these are prices I see.
Or is there anything like when I got Dragon Age from Mexico Origin for $39.99 on release day?

Bro but they downgraded it. It got downgraded. CONFIRMED now by The Internet + a guy on Reddit. Do u even Reddit, bro? WAKE UP don't be one of the sheep. #NoPreOrders2015 #Downgraded #Potato

c06YxHH.jpg

Holy shit, I paid $80 and built a $5,000 PC for this?! :D

What would be the cheapest way to get this on preorder? On steam it's currently listed as €43.99 for me, probably because I own both of the previous games. On GMG it's $59.99, no discount.Origin is €53.99. Again, these are prices I see.
Or is there anything like when I got Dragon Age from Mexico Origin for $39.99 on release day?

Keys from the nvidia promo sell for $30 regularly in the FS/FT forum.

Back