The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

for some reason i cant go fullscreen, it goes back to borderless instantly.

also, i have too much weight, is there a storage box? what should I throw out? I'm not carrying any extra weapons/armor

In the settings, when you move the slider to Full screen, hit escape, the screen should refresh and ask if you want to keep these settings. It's a little odd sometimes...I noticed the same issue you have.

In the settings, when you move the slider to Full screen, hit escape, the screen should refresh and ask if you want to keep these settings. It's a little odd sometimes...I noticed the same issue you have.

yeah ive tried that, it just doesnt go fullscreen, keeps going back to borderless. If i'm not losing on FPS I don't care that its doing that. but im afraid its effecting performance.

yeah ive tried that, it just doesnt go fullscreen, keeps going back to borderless. If i'm not losing on FPS I don't care that its doing that. but im afraid its effecting performance.

Have you tried editing the config files in your documents folder? You might be able to force full screen that way. I just read that there's a bug however, where saved settings don't stick sometimes, they've fixed it but we'll have to wait for the next hotfix.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/37349-Fullscreen-problem?p=1680515

i dont notice any performance difference in borderless or full screen, but crossfire is not working yet either once it is, full screen is the only way to get it to work.

god I love this game. you can be overburdened and still fight normally. Shit like that is really thoughtful

most stuff weighs .01 lb. There was a mod to do that for witcher 2. Good to say that they took what worked and implemented it

also, i have too much weight, is there a storage box? what should I throw out? I'm not carrying any extra weapons/armor

I think you can buy saddlebags to be able to carry 20 or 30 more pounds of stuff.

Saddlebags increase your carry capacity (and also visibly show up on your horse).

So there is no storage box like W2?

What about just finding a house or something near a quick travel location, then just dropping all your excess crap there for later if needed? Will it stay or disappear?

So there is no storage box like W2?

What about just finding a house or something near a quick travel location, then just dropping all your excess crap there for later if needed? Will it stay or disappear?

Someone earlier in the thread was saying they dropped stuff and it was still there a day later or so. Not sure how long it will stay, though.

Not sure what happens if you drop stuff, but I know if the game saves after a fight before you looted the bodies and the game crashes to desktop after you reload the bodies are gone and so is all the loot.

Yeah I'm not very far, the only ones I've seen so far increase by 20 or 30, can't remember which.

In Novigrad? Are most of you not doing any side quests at all?

You guys know that completing certain Main quests will cause a number of side-quests to disappear.

So, a few questions / comments:

-The movement / climbing mechanics are total bunk. Why only have it so you can climb up certain white ledges rather than 90% of other ledges which look like they should be climbable. Trying to jump up this stuff is a pain in the ass as well...could have been done a lot better.

-The inventory UI is pretty bad. You can't even hover over an item with the mouse cursor and hit the button to sell/whatever, you have to actually click on it, or else you accidentally sell something you had highlighted elsewhere. Also no buy-back/undo function as far as I can tell, so you don't even know what you sold half the time.

-Do you guys mostly sell items or break them down for materials? Or only break down certain things? I'm started to accumulate a lot of stuff and I'm not sure what I should be doing with it.

-Is there a point to food items? Can you cook meat and whatnot for better healing? So far all of the food items seem like shit for healing but I don't see any other use for them. Do you guys heal using food, potions, or just meditation?

-I find it extremely annoying that when you meditate it automatically uses up your alcohol to re-stock potions. What if I don't want to restock them and keep my alcohol? No way to change that as far as I can see.

What does being in Novigrad have to do with side quests? It's a big city in Velen (the 2nd map).

I think he means that Novigrad isn't really mentioned or accessed in the early part of the game. And the way some of us are progressing, makes me wonder too on how much time has been spent on side missions vs main story.

I went there too early, just to see it, barely any icons were unlocked. A barber, a merchant and an armor guy.

Wow the camera angle when overburdened is so much better than default. Way more immersive. Is there a way to make that the default view?

food is essential for harder difficulty settings because meditation no longer heals you.

So, a few questions / comments:

-The movement / climbing mechanics are total bunk. Why only have it so you can climb up certain white ledges rather than 90% of other ledges which look like they should be climbable. Trying to jump up this stuff is a pain in the ass as well...could have been done a lot better.
Agreed that they could probably fix a few areas in this. However, for the most part, other than in quests, jumping over things isn't a necessity. I do however, think they should remap certain NPC's. Certain bosses in tight areas seem to get stuck on certain objects and what not.

-The inventory UI is pretty bad. You can't even hover over an item with the mouse cursor and hit the button to sell/whatever, you have to actually click on it, or else you accidentally sell something you had highlighted elsewhere. Also no buy-back/undo function as far as I can tell, so you don't even know what you sold half the time.

I think this adds a bit of creativity on their behalf. Knowing your items is a must, have you read most of their descriptions? Even the misc items say they can be sold or dismantled.As for the buyback, I'm not sure, I don't think I've sold anything too important on accident. I loot everything I see, so my stock is pretty filled. As for the UI interface, I don't think it's any worse than Dragon Age Inquisition or even Skyrim. Atleast TW3 categorizes their items in some fashion, where Skyrim just throws this huge text list at you.

-Do you guys mostly sell items or break them down for materials? Or only break down certain things? I'm started to accumulate a lot of stuff and I'm not sure what I should be doing with it.

I've honestly been saving stuff, there are saddlebags that can add +30, +70, etc weight to your inventory. If you acquire one of these, selling to make room won't be an issue. I've dabbled with a few items to be dismantled, but again, most of these things I can find. Plus it costs money to dismantle, so I'd rather save my coin for something else.... I do however, spend most of my money at vendors on their "Armor and Weapon Repair Kits".

-Is there a point to food items? Can you cook meat and whatnot for better healing? So far all of the food items seem like shit for healing but I don't see any other use for them. Do you guys heal using food, potions, or just meditation?
Yes, each food item has of course different stamina regen strengths. Raw meat may only be a few seconds max, but it is very common to find. Destroy a pack of wolves which are everywhere, and you'll have at least something. I tend to stay away from the alcohol ones, as they make you drunk and I absolutely hate when they are my last resort. LOL
Berries,bread and fish seem to work great. Although not as common to find.

-I find it extremely annoying that when you meditate it automatically uses up your alcohol to re-stock potions. What if I don't want to restock them and keep my alcohol? No way to change that as far as I can see.

I don't see why that's a bad thing. Alcohol IMO is the absolute worst edible in the game.

Last edited:
I think this adds a bit of creativity on their behalf. Knowing your items is a must, have you read most of their descriptions? Even the misc items say they can be sold or dismantled.As for the buyback, I'm not sure, I don't think I've sold anything too important on accident. I loot everything I see, so my stock is pretty filled. As for the UI interface, I don't think it's any worse than Dragon Age Inquisition or even Skyrim. Atleast TW3 categorizes their items in some fashion, where Skyrim just throws this huge text list at you.

It's more an issue of mechanics, where normally you can hover over an item and then perform an action. In TW3 it requires you to actually select the item, and if you forget to do so it's really easy to sell something you didn't mean to.

Also, I read the descriptions but, as you mentioned, most items just say "can be used for crafting" or "can be dismantled or sold". Not very specific.

I've honestly been saving stuff, there are saddlebags that can add +30, +70, etc weight to your inventory. If you acquire one of these, selling to make room won't be an issue. I've dabbled a few items to be dismantled, but again, most of these things I can find. Plus it costs money to dismantle, so I'd rather save my coin for something else.... I do however, spend most of my money at vendors on their "Armor and Weapon Repair Kits".

Yeah, so far I haven't become overburdened but it doesn't make sense to clutter up my inventory with junk, either.

Yes, each food item has of course different stamina regen strengths. Raw meat may only be a few seconds max, but it is very common to find. Destroy a pack of wolves which are everywhere, and you'll have at least something. I tend to stay away from the alcohol ones, as they make you drunk and I absolutely hate when they are my last resort. LOL
Berries,bread and fish seem to work great. Although not as common to find.

I would say even bread doesn't seem that good. It's also hard to tell by the description how good they are. They just say "5s vitality regen" or "10s vitality regen"...do they all regen at the same rate?

I don't see why that's a bad thing. Alcohol IMO is the absolute worst edible in the game.

Mainly because it feels like a waste using it up to regain one potion. Or is it one alcohol per potion? If that's the case I guess it isn't so bad, but what happens when you have multiple potions to be stocked and only one alcohol?

It's more an issue of mechanics, where normally you can hover over an item and then perform an action. In TW3 it requires you to actually select the item, and if you forget to do so it's really easy to sell something you didn't mean to.

Also, I read the descriptions but, as you mentioned, most items just say "can be used for crafting" or "can be dismantled or sold". Not very specific.

Well, there's not much else to it. If you need money, sell them. If you need to craft something and don't have enough materials, then check with a blacksmith/armorer to see what the junk will dismantle into. To be honest there's more than enough junk lying around that you can probably sell most of everything and still have enough to craft what you want.

I would say even bread doesn't seem that good. It's also hard to tell by the description how good they are. They just say "5s vitality regen" or "10s vitality regen"...do they all regen at the same rate?

On Hard/Very Hard, food and potions are the only way to recover health, so you take what you get. I'd imagine on Easy/Normal they're kinda useless as you can just meditate after every battle.

Some of the food items regen health faster than others, but there's no real way at the moment to see the exact values. You can combine Swallow with Food to regenerate health at ridiculous speeds during combat though.

I just had to replay about an hour's worth of time because I did things out of order, and bugged a quest that would never complete if I hadn't gone back to a prior save. Glad I caught it before progressing too far.

Part of me wants to shelve this for all the fixes, tweaks and mods to come, but it's too hard to resist. Loving it so far.

Someone earlier in the thread was saying they dropped stuff and it was still there a day later or so. Not sure how long it will stay, though.
Cool. Going to experiment. I wish it were like Skyrim/Fallout/Oblivion in this regard. It was cool being able to shit out a ton of stuff, and each item would display and stay there. Witcher you just crap out a Felix the Cat bag or something.
i just got saddlebags that increase capacity by 100
Nice. That's certainly a hefty amount of loot. I'm still in the beginning area.

Did this latest patch break alt tab?

Before thi slast patch I could alt tab just fine with 0 problems

Now I can't alt tab at all, the game simply "resets" my mouse cursor instead when I try to alt tab.

It doesn't matter if I'm in Borderless windowed or full screen, nothing works anymore for alt tab.

edit - Also holy crap, that Temerian armor DLC is EXPENSIVE.

I went back there after leaving becuase I had forgotten all abotut that DLC armor and wanted my horse and I to look spiffy, I thought "700 crowns, should be more then enough." I had been hoarding things (even the rust weapons and armor you found littered all over the battlefield at the start) and always sell it, figured with my savings it'd be easy, boy was I WRONG.

I couldn't even afford the entire set of armor, let alone even dreaming of the horse gear lol.

Last edited:
Just a leave a browser or something minimized before starting the game and you can alt-tab just fine.

On Hard/Very Hard, food and potions are the only way to recover health, so you take what you get. I'd imagine on Easy/Normal they're kinda useless as you can just meditate after every battle.

Some of the food items regen health faster than others, but there's no real way at the moment to see the exact values. You can combine Swallow with Food to regenerate health at ridiculous speeds during combat though.

This is the truth. Playing on Death March its easy to run low on food, however I just realized that you could slaughter livestock in villages and nobody seems to care. Example a rooster = 2 chicken legs. Pigs, goats, etc. The kicker is that they seem to respawn pretty quickly, so you can spend a few minutes being the village asshole and loading up.

I can't imagine playing this game with auto-regen health, because taking hits in fights becomes of little consequence and it makes combat less interesting on that basis. Maybe I just got used to it in the Souls games, and realized its the better way to play.

Not to spoil anything but not long into the second area you switch viewpoints and play briefly as another character that does have auto-regen health. Immediately I noticed the difference in combat - that my fighting became sloppier, I stopped caring about trying to read the enemy's attacks to avoid them because taking hits was meaningless. That definitely crystallized that auto-regen blows.

Last edited:
well, the inventory system is partially left over from witcher1/2. If you have more than 10 or 20 of something, sell them, they are a common item and useless. breaking stuff down, look at the components. if something rare then yes, otherwise sell it. any consumable you make after the first time is free the next time, it takes 1 alcohol, the shitty stuff, not the good stuff. The mutagen concoctions are like a status buff. If you don't use potions much you may as well use these. For inventory, you can dump stuff at a signpost, that way easy to get to and remember. white shirts are a requirement for some armors, may want to have one of these.

I think I got the same Dirty Money quest bug...read all letters in my inventory and it won't get past that point.

I only ended up finding one Emerald Dust to make the Viper gear...too dang expensive to buy from a merchant. Anywhere else it can be found? I've heard it drops from Wraiths but I think I killed them all, unless they respawn somewhere?

I think I got the same Dirty Money quest bug...read all letters in my inventory and it won't get past that point.

I only ended up finding one Emerald Dust to make the Viper gear...too dang expensive to buy from a merchant. Anywhere else it can be found? I've heard it drops from Wraiths but I think I killed them all, unless they respawn somewhere?

Sell hides and such, you can make 500 easy.

Gotcha. Yeah, I wish it was a little less arbitrary/hidden as to what total healing values the food has. I also wish there was a way to, for instance, cook the Raw Meat to make it more effective, or combine food items like in Skyrim.

I got an emerald dust from a wraith, and then had to buy the second from the weaponsmith that makes the swords. This is why its worth spending time looting houses; sometimes you'll stumble on expensive necklaces or jewelry that can be sold for decent $.

You definitely want both of those Serpent swords before you leave White Orchard though, since the next area ramps up quickly with enemies 5+ levels above you from the moment you get there. Poison effect comes in mighty handy once you start encountering monsters that heal themselves during combat, since the poison cock blocks the health regen.

The movement in this game is terrible. Why is it that when I press forward my character walks for a second or two before going into a sprint? Is that a bug or what?

And steering my character around is like running through jello. It feels delayed. I get that they're trying to simulate momentum but damn this just feels awful.

Maybe Bloodborne spoiled me. In that game you can turn on a dime. The motion is tight and precise like it should be.

Amazing how this company can't get basic motion right after 3 games...

Yeah when running and not walking (left control toggles walking) movement feels delayed and not precise at all as far as going exactly where you want.

You can still have a sense of momentum/weight without doing this, plenty of games have quick transition animations for going from walk>run>sprint or for going from sprint to sudden stop or quick change in direction the other way but the animation is really quick and doesn't delay your intended movement rather it just "masks" it witht ihe transition while moving the way you want but giving the illusion of momentum behind it.

The movement in this game is terrible. Why is it that when I press forward my character walks for a second or two before going into a sprint? Is that a bug or what?

And steering my character around is like running through jello. It feels delayed. I get that they're trying to simulate momentum but damn this just feels awful.

Maybe Bloodborne spoiled me. In that game you can turn on a dime. The motion is tight and precise like it should be.

Amazing how this company can't get basic motion right after 3 games...

In Witcher 2, The combat was atrociously garbage. It was basically "slash slash, swing swing, roll, roll, (you get the memo) " Blocking is flawed so bad. You can hold to block, but it's useless when facing 2 or more enemies. And to top it off, it doesn't even properly block any good either. Forget about the countering system, it's virtually non existent. Being surrounded by enemies in tight dungeon areas doesn't even feel fun because of the repetitive and trite combat mechanism.

I guess when playing games the Batman Arkham/Assassin's creed games, it's hard to go to a different genre and then expect similar fluidity.

That was kinda one the main reasons i held off getting witcher 3. That too + the fact that the gtx 780's/keplar performance were going haywire.

So i'll be looking forward to revisiting this series (after having a terrible merry-go-round with W2) in a couple weeks or maybe a month or so - till all the bugs and drivers are fully straightened out.

But none the less, Batman Arkham Knight next month, so.......... :p

PoliteDistortedFieldmouse.gif

Just had some fun with Keira , if you know what I mean. ;)

Great......assets..

Anyone running my rig on ultra with good FPS? I'm running on high ok but when I hit ultra, I see a decent drop.

Edit - forgot to mention I'm running 1440p

Last edited:
I have a similar rig, 2600k/780 DC II (not TI)/8gb ram.

I was averaging around 46-48 fps with ultra (hairworks off) and foliage distance/density set to high and maybe shadows to high instead of ultra.

However it felt stuttery to me and not smooth, endedu p locking to 30fps, cranking hiairworks to on and knocking shadows and foliage back to ultra (cept distance, left it to just high).

Feels a lot smoother now, even though it's locked to 30fps there's no more stuttery feeling when moving around or doing things.

Back