The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

BLASPHEMY !!!!!!!

I gotta be real though, the default controls suck...ALT for dodge, WTF? Also the camera is way too sensitive.

I'm sure I can mess with controls and get it decent, but movement just feels better with a controller to me.

I like having KB&M available for inventory management, though. It's nice how this game switches between them seamlessly.

I'm not so optimistic. Witcher 1 was boring as hell to me, and Witcher 2 was just a generally bad game. And while it's too early to judge this one, so far I'm not that impressed.
The whole area you start in is a tutorial. You don't get into the meat of the game until after you find Yennefer.
The one where there is a wraith that can kill me in like 2 seconds? It kind of felt odd, that you're this big monster hunter witcher, the infamous geralt and the local cemetery wraith can give you a hard time. They should've put higher level enemies at more of a distance from the starting point.

As for ME:A some people still seem to have a chip on their shoulder because I dared to like it for what it was, and called out the badmouthers.
Are you utilizing your spells? Did you read the bestiary entry? Yrden makes Wraiths trivial, and I recommend keeping Quen up at all times. If you've crafted pots already then take advantage of them, as well. If you read the books you know that Geralt prepares very carefully for each of his encounters. He just doesn't go rushing in. He's a successful monster hunter because of his acumen, which the player is in charge of in the context of the video game.

Admittedly, it did take me awhile to acclimate to the systems in this game despite them not being at all complicated, especially the flow of battle. But the game becomes much easier after the first few hours after gaining a few levels and getting decent equipment.

for fun and profit you can kill the cows in the starting area a few times. probably want to do that after you are finished with the starting area though.

The whole area you start in is a tutorial. You don't get into the meat of the game until after you find Yennefer.

Are you utilizing your spells? Did you read the bestiary entry? Yrden makes Wraiths trivial, and I recommend keeping Quen up at all times. If you've crafted pots already then take advantage of them, as well. If you read the books you know that Geralt prepares very carefully for each of his encounters. He just doesn't go rushing in. He's a successful monster hunter because of his acumen, which the player is in charge of in the context of the video game.

Admittedly, it did take me awhile to acclimate to the systems in this game despite them not being at all complicated, especially the flow of battle. But the game becomes much easier after the first few hours after gaining a few levels and getting decent equipment.
Unfortunately that's not my style. I just can't be bothered with potions, alchemy, wards, spells and such nonsense. I know it is a fantasy game, but I easily beat TES games and all Dragon Age games, without touching any of that stuff. An RPG is an RPG because you can choose your approach, right?

for fun and profit you can kill the cows in the starting area a few times. probably want to do that after you are finished with the starting area though.
Farming? Also not my style. I'd never resort to that in any game. If a game needs farming that's a fail in my books.

Unfortunately that's not my style. I just can't be bothered with potions, alchemy, wards, spells and such nonsense. I know it is a fantasy game, but I easily beat TES games and all Dragon Age games, without touching any of that stuff. An RPG is an RPG because you can choose your approach, right?

Farming? Also not my style. I'd never resort to that in any game. If a game needs farming that's a fail in my books.
This isn't a D&D style game where you create your character. You're role playing an established character with the ability to specialize in any areas of their repertoire. You can eventually become a viably physical tank if you really want to even at the hardest difficulty setting, but that simply isn't possible at low levels in the early part of the game.

You don't need to farm. The game is actually designed in such a way as to discourage it. jim is simply stating it as a possibility.

This isn't a D&D style game where you create your character. You're role playing an established character with the ability to specialize in any areas of their repertoire. You can eventually become a viably physical tank if you really want to even at the hardest difficulty setting, but that simply isn't possible at low levels in the early part of the game.

You don't need to farm. The game is actually designed in such a way as to discourage it. jim is simply stating it as a possibility.

I wanted to play the story, so I used a few mods...

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread | Page 132 | [H]ard|Forum

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread | Page 133 | [H]ard|Forum

...Farming? Also not my style. I'd never resort to that in any game. If a game needs farming that's a fail in my books.

Soooo... not a fan, huh?

upload_2018-7-9_21-0-47.png

the point is not for farming, its a bit of an easter egg
Well. I'm past the point of no return now. The game at least should've warned me that talking to vesemir will fail all ongoing quests and transport me to another area.

I gotta be real though, the default controls suck...ALT for dodge, WTF? Also the camera is way too sensitive.

I'm sure I can mess with controls and get it decent, but movement just feels better with a controller to me.

I like having KB&M available for inventory management, though. It's nice how this game switches between them seamlessly.

You get used to ALT for dodge. If you have a mouse with on the fly sensitivity adjustment, turning it right down compensates for the over sensitivity (works fine for me on a logitech G502).

Well. I'm past the point of no return now. The game at least should've warned me that talking to vesemir will fail all ongoing quests and transport me to another area.
You can travel back to White Orchard at any time from a signpost. I think the only quests you cannot complete after leaving are the ones with the herbalist where you craft Swallow and choose whether or not to try and help the woman who was attacked by the griffin.

You can travel back to White Orchard at any time from a signpost. I think the only quests you cannot complete after leaving are the ones with the herbalist where you craft Swallow and choose whether or not to try and help the woman who was attacked by the griffin.
I actually finished that, the quest that failed as soon as the conversation started was a missing persons case I think I got from the signpost.

I don't think it fails all the quests; you can go back to White Orchard whenever you want.

There are so damn many quests & contracts & side missions & story streams, don't worry if a few "fail".

For me - that basically meant that I did not start something that was time sensitive in the appropriate time window.

It pissed me off to "fail" something that I didn't know I had started (grabbed everything from the sign boards).

I got busy w/ other stuff & eventually got over it...

Might get to those on my next playthrough. ;)

There are so damn many quests & contracts & side missions & story streams, don't worry if a few "fail".

For me - that basically meant that I did not start something that was time sensitive in the appropriate time window.

It pissed me off to "fail" something that I didn't know I had started (grabbed everything from the sign boards).

I got busy w/ other stuff & eventually got over it...

Might get to those on my next playthrough. ;)
The way I've been doing it is systematically working through every region of each map until I can't find anything new before continuing with the main story. I'm about 90 hours in and still haven't progressed the main story past rescuing Dandelion yet.

You get used to ALT for dodge. If you have a mouse with on the fly sensitivity adjustment, turning it right down compensates for the over sensitivity (works fine for me on a logitech G502).

It just feels awkward for the way my hand is positioned on the keyboard. I feel like I have to reach down in an uncomfortable way to hit the ALT key.

In any case, controller + KB&M for menus and whatnot works just fine.

Holy balls, gotta get me that!

edit: Doh, was already running v5.0. Upgraded to v5.1!

Last edited:
The way I've been doing it is systematically working through every region of each map until I can't find anything new before continuing with the main story. I'm about 90 hours in and still haven't progressed the main story past rescuing Dandelion yet.

That's how a LOT of people play; clearing out each region at a time. That being said, it generally makes sense to do quests ASAP, since you get less experience from quests as you raise above the recommended level.

I generally play with the Ghost Mode mod, which among other things allows you to set enemy/quest levels to scale, which IMO is the one major thing CDPR never added to the game.

Modders are awesome!

Such bump mapping, much wow.
That's how a LOT of people play; clearing out each region at a time. That being said, it generally makes sense to do quests ASAP, since you get less experience from quests as you raise above the recommended level.

I generally play with the Ghost Mode mod, which among other things allows you to set enemy/quest levels to scale, which IMO is the one major thing CDPR never added to the game.
They added enemy scaling, but not quest scaling. The issue is it's buggy and you don't get more XP for higher-leveled enemies in "low-level" areas, so a mod is better anyway.

Can the Ghost Mode mod be installed mid-playthrough? I'm at level 34 right now without any gameplay mods and am finding most combat to be pretty trivial.

Tried Death March difficulty?

Yup. Running a fast attack and alchemy build. Got like 250 toxicity, so I can chug 3 decoctions...or usually 2 decoctions and a bunch of potions, depending on the situation.

Can the Ghost Mode mod be installed mid-playthrough? I'm at level 34 right now without any gameplay mods and am finding most combat to be pretty trivial.

I'm pretty sure you can, but of course there's always the chance of an issue cropping up since Ghost Mode affects other things, especially weapon/armor statistics. Ghost Mode also effects combat/alchemy a ton. It's probably safer to wait until your next playthrough to install it; it's not like you're level blocked on much once you hit the mid-30's.

I'm pretty sure you can, but of course there's always the chance of an issue cropping up since Ghost Mode affects other things, especially weapon/armor statistics. Ghost Mode also effects combat/alchemy a ton. It's probably safer to wait until your next playthrough to install it; it's not like you're level blocked on much once you hit the mid-30's.

Yeah, think I'm just gonna respec into a strong attack/heavy armor build and play that for the rest of this playthrough, then maybe give Ghost Mode a try if I feel like another playthrough. I did a heavy signs build for a while, but that got boring.

They added a Fiend in later patches though, so if you're not careful, watch out!

There is going to be a netflix show with Henry Cavill as Geralt
https://tvline.com/2018/09/04/henry-cavill-the-witcher-cast-netflix-adaptation-novels/
It's funny how the article mentions the games in the last paragraph, as an afterthought. It's the whole reason for the show :).
We have a thread already.
https://hardforum.com/threads/the-witcher-netflix.1934239/
Yes. but really, no witcher games, no tv show either. It's not books that have sold in tens of millions of copies.
Up until a few years ago none of the books were available in English. Or other languages, for that matter.

Have some questions about quests in this game. Didn't care much at all for the 2nd one, but I am considering trying it just because of all the hype surrounding it. But I don't really want to get side tracked, bogged down by fetch questing and just want to do the main story and maybe a few side quests that directly pertain to the main story.

1) Is simply doing the main story feasible? Or are you more or less required to do side quests to level up in order to have fair & balanced fights?

2) I've read that some side quests are miss-able if you progress the story too far. Is there anyway to tell what quests will disappear if you advance the main story? In the event I actually like the game, I would like to play all remaining quests post game. I'd hate to have to back track 10, 20, or even 50 hours in terms of gear / experience to replay a quest.

3) If you skip the majority of side quests, do you loose a lot of lore and information that pertain to the main story? Or are most side quests very self contained?

Have some questions about quests in this game. Didn't care much at all for the 2nd one, but I am considering trying it just because of all the hype surrounding it. But I don't really want to get side tracked, bogged down by fetch questing and just want to do the main story and maybe a few side quests that directly pertain to the main story.

1) Is simply doing the main story feasible? Or are you more or less required to do side quests to level up in order to have fair & balanced fights?

2) I've read that some side quests are miss-able if you progress the story too far. Is there anyway to tell what quests will disappear if you advance the main story? In the event I actually like the game, I would like to play all remaining quests post game. I'd hate to have to back track 10, 20, or even 50 hours in terms of gear / experience to replay a quest.

3) If you skip the majority of side quests, do you loose a lot of lore and information that pertain to the main story? Or are most side quests very self contained?

1. Yes. You can Straight line the main story for the most part. I will admit though, it is damn impossible to do for your first play through. So much going on, it's really hard to not see what's here ,or what's there.

2. Yup, definitely quests you'll miss out on. But that's okay. You can reset the game once you complete it, and play through again a different way with all of your current gear on you.

3. There is an insurmountable amount of lore with every zone, quest, etc... If you're in it for the lore, enjoy the side quests.

Also to mention, you can have(option to do so) everything scale to you. So take your time with whatever you are doing. It's an amazing game.

Last edited:
1. Yes. You can Straight line the main story for the most part. I will admit though, it is damn impossible to do for your first play through. So much going on, it's really hard to not see what's here ,or what's there.

2. Yup, definitely quests you'll miss out on. But that's okay. You can reset the game once you complete it, and play through again a different way with all of your current gear on you.

3. There is an insurmountable amount of lore with every zone, quest, etc... If you're in it for the lore, enjoy the side quests.

Also to mention, you can have(option to do so) everything scale to you. So take your time with whatever you are doing. It's an amazing game.

It's the best singlepalyer game I have ever played...the depth, the lore, all the side quests, the world...the multiple endings...the way you can specialize...so looking forward to CyberPunk 2077, because if is half this game...it is going to be awesome ^^

Back