The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Try to draw them out one at a time then save and repeat. Ghouls like to attack in packs like wolves. One at a time they are easy to handle but when they attack in a bunch can be hard to kill until you level up.
Thanks! For some reason it never occurred to me that I could run away and control the battle.

Is there a way to calm the trees down? I don't know how in the world they thought it was a good idea for all the foliage to look like a hurricane is nearby. Very distracting.

Also--is there a way to adjust the FoV or zoom in/out? It's really distracting how much of the screen I take up... which is funny because I didn't have this complaint with Dark Souls--i think it has to how much detail there is. I feel like i need to be in first person to really see everything, but I can't.

Last edited:
that sounds like a bug some people have had, either driver or card related. If you look at most videos the foliage appears normal, but in some it whips back and forth like plastic

I finally have some time in Skeligrad and my 970s are not really cutting it here in the rain and stuff... They were fine in Novigrad for the most part but I spent most of my time out of the city. I have a pair of 980ti's on hold at Fry's right now... I'm kind of getting tired of being on the cusp of 30fps in lots of places.. also it would be nice to turn all the grass and foliage settings up to max.

I think I'm old. I finished the game on a mix of low-mid settings and loved every minute of it.

Reactions: atom
like this
I'm loving every minute of it.. and I am so close to being able to run it maxed out.. I'd love to finish it like that.. but that's a lot of dough. I'm on the fence.. Like tonight I only had one spot where the rain made it choppy.. I guess that gives me and Geralt a reason to not like the rain. ;)

edit: 80 hours in and only level 23.. I'm having fun exploring.

Last edited:
The trees , grass , and hair in my w3 game are always blowing around as if in a wind storm.......

It was funny at first , being in a building and having hair moving so much....

Now I just ignore it.........

Hair works off too..

About 20 hours in and this is a very good game , all the different type of quests, decent
story..

Hey fellas.... If any of you guys are still struggling with poor sli scaling and low fps, especially at 4K..... Check out the following thread.... My 980 ti's were having poor scaling at 4K but after some discussion on this thread I seem to have found out why thanks to one of the posters... Hope this helps any of you guys out there with the same issues...

Just got 980 ti SLI

Try disabling Chromatic Aberration and Vignetting ? Maybe try disabling vsync also and see if that changes things.. seems like that locks some people into a rather low fps cap.

re: hair blowing around and stuff, yeah it's like there's a wind storm all the time around you, I kind of got used to that also. ha!

My GTX980 Ti SLI pushes that game hard :D

As you can see I have no SLI problem there. Just use the correct settings.

My GTX980 Ti SLI pushes that game hard :D

[snip]

As you can see I have no SLI problem there. Just use the correct settings.

I just ordered the same cards from BandH. Seems like a good clocking yet not too power hungry variant of the 980ti.

:)Yes sblantipodi is the man!!
I would not have figured out how to get better gpu utilization if it wasn't for his video!!
Thanks again mate

:)Yes sblantipodi is the man!!
I would not have figured out how to get better gpu utilization if it wasn't for his video!!
Thanks again mate

No problem man :)

I just ordered the same cards from BandH. Seems like a good clocking yet not too power hungry variant of the 980ti.

Yes, I like EVGA, their customer care is excellent and their cards are not bad at all.
I run both cards at 1405MHz (1392MHz when TDP limited in heavy games like TW3) without any problems.
The default TDP limit is low (110% at max), you need a custom bios to increase it but is it really worth to go further? For me no, specially if you are on SLI.
At 1392MHz with 110% TDP limit my cards sucks up to 280W per card.

I finally have some time in Skeligrad and my 970s are not really cutting it here in the rain and stuff... They were fine in Novigrad for the most part but I spent most of my time out of the city. I have a pair of 980ti's on hold at Fry's right now... I'm kind of getting tired of being on the cusp of 30fps in lots of places.. also it would be nice to turn all the grass and foliage settings up to max.

I'm running a 980Ti with a mild overclock and the game runs between 50-60 fps at 3440x1440. Most settings are maxed out. Should be great in SLI! I may have to get a second card sometime.

I'm running a 980Ti with a mild overclock and the game runs between 50-60 fps at 3440x1440. Most settings are maxed out. Should be great in SLI! I may have to get a second card sometime.

most settings are not enough, you need a second card :D

Is there a way to pull the camera back at all? I remember in Witcher 1 (and maybe 2) you could control camera distance/angle a bit more than you can in this game.

I'm in the end game now and really enjoying it. Made it to level 35 and about 80 hours of gameplay. I did all the secondary quests and Witcher contracts I found but no treasure hunts and no gwent/racing. Didn't realize explore many of the white question marks either so lots still to do. I will definitely be buying Hearts of Stone once I am done the main quest line in the next day or so. Kind of sad I bungled the romance a bit, Triss and Yen caught Geralt and called me out on my shenanigans :) Ah well.

I tried this when it was first released, but I was overwhelmed by the time I made it to Velen and drifted away. Recently started again and have been completely sucked into the game and story. I feel like that slowpoke meme.

I love a game like this on nice 5.1 speakers. Top notch presentation all around, and the voice acting / quests (which I can't help but compare to Skyrim and Bethesda's offerings) are done so well.

Only running it at 1080P, but with all the options turned up it looks great and runs on average around 80-100 fps. This was the game that conviced me to try and SLI my 980, and thankfully the SLI works quite well.

Is there a way to pull the camera back at all? I remember in Witcher 1 (and maybe 2) you could control camera distance/angle a bit more than you can in this game.
Would love to know this. I tried playing on my TV and I just couldn't see enough. Felt very claustrophobic and couldn't ever really get a grasp for where I was at in the world.

Hi question, if i eat food to increase vitality and eat them fast in succession am i wasting the food? for example i drink water and it takes 9s of health increase but if i drink another when the count down is at 7s did i just waste 7s of vitality generation since the count went back to 9s? Thanks

So I don't know WTF happened but now the game is unplayable.....I was playing it just fine a week ago or so, I go to load it today and my mouse pointer is extremely laggy...so much so that I can move it in circles, take my hand off and it continues to spin. As if the input lag is like 30 seconds delayed. The graphics move in stuttered waves too. This is completely new and the game ran flawlessly before, I have over 40 hours in the game prior to this with the exact same hardware. Now, I can't even play.

So I don't know WTF happened but now the game is unplayable.....I was playing it just fine a week ago or so, I go to load it today and my mouse pointer is extremely laggy...so much so that I can move it in circles, take my hand off and it continues to spin. As if the input lag is like 30 seconds delayed. The graphics move in stuttered waves too. This is completely new and the game ran flawlessly before, I have over 40 hours in the game prior to this with the exact same hardware. Now, I can't even play.
I had something similar happen about a week ago, and it was because my processor was throttling due to heat. I reset the heat-sink and the problem was solved.

I had something similar happen about a week ago, and it was because my processor was throttling due to heat. I reset the heat-sink and the problem was solved.

It's definetly not that, im on water and it sits at 34*C under load while gaming. Witcher 3 is the only game this happens on....

Hi question, if i eat food to increase vitality and eat them fast in succession am i wasting the food? for example i drink water and it takes 9s of health increase but if i drink another when the count down is at 7s did i just waste 7s of vitality generation since the count went back to 9s? Thanks

Yes it's wasting food. You can drink a water and eat a food they stack but you will see the two timers for them. Eating more, faster just resets the timer, it doesn't give you vitality faster.

Thanks i have a few more Qs about inventory mgmt as i'm getting over burdened to frequently now. I read somewhere that it's best to sell vs dismantle and to sell all junk but some of my junk is 'pure silver' and other items that seem important. should I dismantle those for crafting or sell? the only things that seem to have weight are in my armor/weapons slot and "other".

I've been paying the blacksmith to turn silver into ingots and plates but have no idea what to do with that stuff as it's just piling up and weighting me down.

If i put it in a stash do all stash's share an inventory or do i need to remember which one i put stuff in and and retrieve it from the specific one i put it in?

Thanks

I don't believe there are any "rare" crafting items in the game, pretty much anything you need you can buy (aside from lower level gear/swords). All the inventory scrounging is just a huge waste of time. I would go on a boat, hit all the ? and come back when I had about 800lbs of loot. Never did find anything interesting to justify the time wasted. next playthrough I would just skip it all.

I don't believe there are any "rare" crafting items in the game, pretty much anything you need you can buy (aside from lower level gear/swords). All the inventory scrounging is just a huge waste of time. I would go on a boat, hit all the ? and come back when I had about 800lbs of loot. Never did find anything interesting to justify the time wasted. next playthrough I would just skip it all.

I hate dealing with the merchants. i'd much rather find stuff

I am very early in the Hearts of Stone campaign and holy carp, got into 2 engaging fights right at the start. That stupid toad required some strategy and so did the Shaman. Loved it. I think I will play the expansion. Only problem is that it seems (or it is placebo) that the loading times on PS4 have increased exponentially after patches.

60 hours in and im only level 19. Ive been doing a ton of side quests and lots of Novigrad quests. Finally headed to Skellige to continue the main quest. Loving this game so much! I loved the first witcher, never really got around to playing much of the second witcher.

Just met up with the first wild hunt boss. Maybe its because im just at lvl 5. But Dude is difficult as hell. But this forces me to be patient and use my magic to fight him. my problem is when those damn dogs come out. Not fighting them, but after making short work of them, dude is back at full health.

I wish I could get this issue with the game fixed and play it again!! I loved this game...something happened and it is absolutely broken. Input lag by many seconds and it is unplayable. It's the ONLY game that has this problem. I've tried everything I can think of...

1. Uninstall/redownload game
2. Newest nVidia Drivers
3. G-sync on/off
4. SLI On/Off
5. Unlimited frames / 30 / 60 w/ VSync on/off

Nothing solves the problem. I emailed their support about my issue and they sent me back a useless canned response.

The game is unplayable after the 1.12.1 update on my system...makes absolutely no sense.

Specs: 5960X
32 GB DDR4
SLI 980 Ti
Samsung 950 Evo
Rampage V Extreme
Dual ROG Swifts (278 & 279Q)

Every other game runs fine.....

I have the exact same problem after the 1.12-1 update the game is stuttering big time with some input lag.

Install a fresh Windows on a spare drive and see if it works ok.
(hint: I always make a 60GB partition at the start of any new drive so I can use it for testing OS issues)
Then you know whether its an OS issue.

Not an OS issue here because I have W3 installed on my HTPC. Could be the LOD mod that I installed.

I am very early in the Hearts of Stone campaign and holy carp, got into 2 engaging fights right at the start. That stupid toad required some strategy and so did the Shaman. Loved it. I think I will play the expansion. Only problem is that it seems (or it is placebo) that the loading times on PS4 have increased exponentially after patches.

I just finished Hearts of Stone last night and wow, thought the story line, bosses and locations were awesome. Really enjoyable and definitely worth the money (I bought the combo expansion pack since I can't get enough Witcher). Toad was a tough battle until I figured a few things out given how fast he moves, Shaman wasn't too bad but I can't remember my strategy for him as I beat him first time.

95 hours in the game now completing main quest, all secondaries I've found, Hearts of Stone and a lot of witcher contracts. Haven't done any treasure hunts besides HoS, no gwent, racing or fighting quests.

The only weird thing I am experiencing now is the Steam controller quick-save button will not work and I can't figure out why.

Not an OS issue here because I have W3 installed on my HTPC. Could be the LOD mod that I installed.

I am playing this on a fresh build with Win 10 Pro and all of the newest drivers, etc. Out of 20 games on my system this is the ONLY one that exhibits this issue, it's something to do with the 1.12.1 update because I played the game for many hours before this update and issue......

crafting and alchemy weights were removed in a prior patch

it really adds nothing to the game and makes it more annoying to play

and you can tell they play tested it a lot since they have made a lot of tweaks like that

Last edited:
crafting and alchemy weights were removed in a prior patch

it really adds nothing to the game and makes it more annoying to play

and you can tell they play tested it a lot since they have made a lot of tweaks like that

Was it playtesting or was it post-release backlash? I recall they made a lot of changes after release once people got their hands on it (i.e. the "alternate" movement style).

Back