The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

they all are easy with the regenerating quen shield. like the big harpy on the island. He could kill in 2 blows but the shield made it doable. probably OP

Weak sauce dude. I fight everything, it's when they can kill me in like one or 2 shots that I back away. I think 8 lvls above you constitute a skull ( I could be wrong as it's been a while ) but lvls above you is very killable.When it's like 12, that's when you're kind of fucked.

You are losing experience points by not fighting around your level.
Its a good idea to complete low level quests while you are lower level, not trying to boost your level and leaving them for later.

I tried to kill this lvl20 tree looking thing that handed me my ass at lvl9 like 10 times.. I finally gave up - I just can't land enough damage on it and just a couple of hits and I am dead.. I'm going to head back at lvl14 or something and try again. But that's the only thing I ran into I couldn't kill so far..

For large groups of monsters or men I love ARDing the group and then picking them off one or two at a time. Works really well.

the only effective way to level up in the game is by completing missions. fighting anything just sucks. The cow patrol monsters only give 50 xp.

There is a xp glitch for one of the island missions.. I still didn't complete it.. Not sure if fixed now

Beat this game a few days ago. I'll beat the expansions when the 2nd is released.

didnt play it this weekend. Played a ton of it friday evening realized that im not even lvl 2 yet. Finally learned how to fight with confidence. Did four missions thus far, and now understanding the fighting mechanics. Also got ambushed by some bandits. They shouldnt have done that. Still a fuckin lvl 1. Most likely gonna find some more side jobs before i tackle that griffin.
I already did the one about Medic supplies, the missing brother, the lady and the well, and the damn frying pan. Also the arsonist. Still a damn lvl 1.
So my question is leveling is more because of fighting or completing missions? Im not afraid to hop off of roach and give a ghoul, drowner, or a fuckin bandit the business, but im trying to level up tho.

You get the most exp for completing the main story missions. Side missions and combat award very minimal exp.

Sup fellas...Need some feedback. I stopped playing Witcher 3 a while ago because for some reason, after one particular update, SLI went to shit. I just started playing again and still have this problem. I play at 4k with everything on Ultra, AA off and hair works set at 2x, and my FPS will never get over 40 and usually hover around 30-34 FPS. The weird things is that is I turn everything to off or low, and turn hair works off, I still get the same FPS. Seriously WTF?

Also, my SLI usage on both cards usually only maxes out around 70%. I remember when I first bought the game when it came out, I was getting SLI scaling pegged in the high 90's. I don't know what else could be the issue. I don't know if it's a memory leak or the game patch screwed up SLI, but it is really weird when I get the same FPS playing ay ultra or low....Any help would be appreciated

Mine is the same... Driving 3840x2160 also.. I get in the 70s GPU load mostly. Weird.

edit: actually that's not totally true.. I see the load at 91 and 88 now.. It does bounce around a lot.

Mine is the same... Driving 3840x2160 also.. I get in the 70s GPU load mostly. Weird.

edit: actually that's not totally true.. I see the load at 91 and 88 now.. It does bounce around a lot.

Thanks for the reply dude. So, what kind of FPS are u getting? I did turn off hair works and motion blur and it did give me like 4 FPS boost. I do see my bottom card hitting in the upper 80's to low 90's but my top, main card is still only hitting high 70's....I can at least hit in the low 40 FPS now with hairworks off, but I remember getting mid 50's when the game first came out

So I need to kick on the FPS counter.. I am pretty sure I am getting between 30 and 60 depending on where I am.. it dips below 30 in spots.. I have hair off, no AA grass draw med, water high, shadows med, but I think the rest is on or max. I am on the cusp of acceptable for my taste.. I am eyeballing 980ti's though as Pascal is probably not due out for 6 months.. I am guessing some combination of new drivers and the patches they have released have done some things.. I read about removing the d3d11.dll file or something and seeing if that gives you a bump.. but I think that may have only been for patch 1.10.

You are losing experience points by not fighting around your level.
Its a good idea to complete low level quests while you are lower level, not trying to boost your level and leaving them for later.

Probably... like 2 (exaggeration, but not by much) xp a kill. If you haven't noticed, kills get you shit experience. It's finishing quests that really get you exp. Main story ones, most of all.

Probably... like 2 (exaggeration, but not by much) xp a kill. If you haven't noticed, kills get you shit experience. It's finishing quests that really get you exp. Main story ones, most of all.

I just reached lvl 2. Now halfway to lvl 3. I did all side quests i could find. and was finally able to get to 2 by just wondering around the map and finding shit to kill and exploring landmarks. Since the recommended lvl is 3 to fight the griffin.

But.... fuck it, im bout to find the dude and get ready to lay bait for this damn monster to move on with the story.

I am now lvl12, I found and made all the griffin gear except for the gloves and sword at level 10 so I could just put them on when I dinged to 11. I got a random rare silver sword drop (from the hag in the grave yard) with three open sockets and it does some crazy damage - as good as the griffin sword but without some of the magic attack bonuses so I probably won't build that. I can pretty handily dispatch most enemies 4 to 5 levels above me - but some things are harder than others.. Gouls are tough - and in packs can be pretty interesting. I think Jenny o the woods was still the biggest challenge - but I didn't have some of the nice gear I have now - which forced me to use tactics so that made it interesting. Anyways, I'm really enjoying the crap out of this game.. so much to do and soooo pretty @ 4k. The environment is so well done sometimes I really get swept into the world - feel like I've really been somewhere else after a couple hours. ha!

I've introduced a number of friends to W3 and I see a lot less of them now lol.

I've introduced a number of friends to W3 and I see a lot less of them now lol.

Agreed. I just came back to the game, played Hearts of Stone and now I'm doing a New Game+ run for the first time. It says I have 210hrs in the game so far (3 runs before this one).

What are the treasure hunt items like? So far I haven't bothered with any treasure hunts I am only doing main quest, secondary and witcher contracts. Level 24 now, haven't played a lot in the last week. Knocking off all secondary quests/contracts before I advance main quest. I've been using crafted armour/swords so far and it seems adequate. I spend 90% of my attribute points in sword specializations.

treasure hunts quest rewards are mostly gear patterns. It is the best gear in the game short of some HoS peices

Agreed. I just came back to the game, played Hearts of Stone and now I'm doing a New Game+ run for the first time. It says I have 210hrs in the game so far (3 runs before this one).

first run with HOS was 160 hours, spent at least 20 hours just testing different specs and gear sets lol

I had to lower the difficulty last night when I encountered the werewolf under the house. That health regen coupled with the auto targeting, making it impossible to target the adds, was a stupid mechanic.

Sup fellas...Need some feedback. I stopped playing Witcher 3 a while ago because for some reason, after one particular update, SLI went to shit. I just started playing again and still have this problem. I play at 4k with everything on Ultra, AA off and hair works set at 2x, and my FPS will never get over 40 and usually hover around 30-34 FPS. The weird things is that is I turn everything to off or low, and turn hair works off, I still get the same FPS. Seriously WTF?

Also, my SLI usage on both cards usually only maxes out around 70%. I remember when I first bought the game when it came out, I was getting SLI scaling pegged in the high 90's. I don't know what else could be the issue. I don't know if it's a memory leak or the game patch screwed up SLI, but it is really weird when I get the same FPS playing ay ultra or low....Any help would be appreciated

Yup, witcher 3 supports SLI but the scale is not very good. I had to get rid of 980 SLI 2-way because the fps is only around 30-40 and it stutters A LOT. 1 980 Ti oc to 1480 gave me the same frame rate and less stuttering. SLI utilization was always 80-90%, never reached 100% like GTA V or FarCry 4.

Yup, witcher 3 supports SLI but the scale is not very good. I had to get rid of 980 SLI 2-way because the fps is only around 30-40 and it stutters A LOT. 1 980 Ti oc to 1480 gave me the same frame rate and less stuttering. SLI utilization was always 80-90%, never reached 100% like GTA V or FarCry 4.

you should have some problems on your rig, probably you have some bottleneck on your rig.
with the rig in signature SLI improves performance starting from 80% more up to 95% more.

Killed the griffin. Lvl 3 now. Now on my way to return the head. I saw this lil temple where a ghould hopped out the ground. I Killed it, easily, but i thought about it, those power stones are they regenerating, or are theysingle use only???

you should have some problems on your rig, probably you have some bottleneck on your rig.
with the rig in signature SLI improves performance starting from 80% more up to 95% more.

Rig was 4770k @ 4.2Ghz and 16GB DDR3. Cards were at PCI-E x8 3.0. There wasn't a bottleneck anywhere as GTA and FarCry have 90%+ scaling most of the time (FarCry 4 was close to 100%). Witcher 3 only reach 80% for most of the time, of course if you just look at the sky then the scaling is 95%+ but who does that:D. FPS varies a lot. 980 SLI @ 1420 with 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz: fps usually around 45-50 but there are many scenes where it would drop to 20-ish. Single 980 Ti @ 1480 is around 10% slower on average but the fps almost never drop to the low 20.

Killed the griffin. Lvl 3 now. Now on my way to return the head. I saw this lil temple where a ghould hopped out the ground. I Killed it, easily, but i thought about it, those power stones are they regenerating, or are theysingle use only???

single use for the permanent boost, however the buff is always available. there are a bunch in the starting area, not so much elsewhere.

Rig was 4770k @ 4.2Ghz and 16GB DDR3. Cards were at PCI-E x8 3.0. There wasn't a bottleneck anywhere as GTA and FarCry have 90%+ scaling most of the time (FarCry 4 was close to 100%). Witcher 3 only reach 80% for most of the time, of course if you just look at the sky then the scaling is 95%+ but who does that:D. FPS varies a lot. 980 SLI @ 1420 with 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz: fps usually around 45-50 but there are many scenes where it would drop to 20-ish. Single 980 Ti @ 1480 is around 10% slower on average but the fps almost never drop to the low 20.

I agree with David. As I stated previously... I used to get close to 60 FPS with my rig and GPU scaling wasin the 90% range when the game first launched. Blame a patch or change in SLI profile by NVidia but SLI scaling has went to shit for the Witcher 3. Look at this Video. Multiple CPU's were tested and albeit the 6700K scored 6-10 FPS higher in certain areas of the Witcher 3, the overall average of FPS usage on a Titan X was not to much of a difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw

EDIT-Here's another video showing a guy playing witcher 3 last year in June, prior to patching where he is getting close to 60 FPS at 4k with two 980 Ti's with hairworks off.....And take note, his 980 Ti's are only pushing 1190-1202. I have both my EVGA 980 Ti's running at 1470 and my 3770k is overclocked to 4.6, and I can't seem to get over 40 FPS, after one particular patch...I think it was 1.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttiG2GECtKA

Last edited:
I agree with David. As I stated previously... I used to get close to 60 FPS with my rig and GPU scaling wasin the 90% range when the game first launched. Blame a patch or change in SLI profile by NVidia but SLI scaling has went to shit for the Witcher 3. Look at this Video. Multiple CPU's were tested and albeit the 6700K scored 6-10 FPS higher in certain areas of the Witcher 3, the overall average of FPS usage on a Titan X was not to much of a difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw

EDIT-Here's another video showing a guy playing witcher 3 last year in June, prior to patching where he is getting close to 60 FPS at 4k with two 980 Ti's with hairworks off.....And take note, his 980 Ti's are only pushing 1190-1202. I have both my EVGA 980 Ti's running at 1470 and my 3770k is overclocked to 4.6, and I can't seem to get over 40 FPS, after one particular patch...I think it was 1.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttiG2GECtKA

Hairworks off, bla bla bla.
Max that game and full stop.
If we need to make a comparison we need to make a comparison apple to apple.

With the game maxed out, and I mean maxed out!
My GTX980 Ti goes from 30 to 35FPS in the main place in novigrad, other areas are nothing too distant by this average.

With SLI enabled framerate doubles, I go from 60 to 65FPS.
So don't hear kids that plays pirate games without patches.

Hairworks off, bla bla bla.
Max that game and full stop.
If we need to make a comparison we need to make a comparison apple to apple.

With the game maxed out, and I mean maxed out!
My GTX980 Ti goes from 30 to 35FPS in the main place in novigrad, other areas are nothing too distant by this average.

With SLI enabled framerate doubles, I go from 60 to 65FPS.
So don't hear kids that plays pirate games without patches.

Whatever...:rolleyes:, you're the ONLY guy on the internet that is getting 100% scaling with Witcher 3. Congrats man. :rolleyes:

Whatever...:rolleyes:, you're the ONLY guy on the internet that is getting 100% scaling with Witcher 3. Congrats man. :rolleyes:

I know that there are a lot of users that don't knows how to use a computer but I'm not the only one who knows how to use it :)

most of the people who complains about SLI scaling on the witcher are kids that are playing pirate unpatched game.
latest patches fixed the SLI scaling with a perfect scaling from 85 to 95% at least without any framerate or scaling drop.

Last edited:
Still no word on Blood & Wine release date? I was thinking of starting my next play-through of Witcher 1-2-3 this weekend, but I want to make sure by the time I get to TW3 I'll be able to play the completed version.

Looks like I'll have to find some other games to fill the time...

Still no word on Blood & Wine release date? I was thinking of starting my next play-through of Witcher 1-2-3 this weekend, but I want to make sure by the time I get to TW3 I'll be able to play the completed version.

Looks like I'll have to find some other games to fill the time...

unfortunantly not :(

I get average 55 fps, maybe drops to the 40s in really rare odd places, usually in the high 50s, occasionally higher with all max but hair works to Geralt only. That's with a 2500k at 4.5ghz and factory minimal OC on my cards, RAM set to XMP profile. Within 1-2 fps, Windows 7 to 10. That's running 3440x1440. If you're getting substantiality less on newer hardware something is wrong.

I get average 55 fps, maybe drops to the 40s in really rare odd places, usually in the high 50s, occasionally higher with all max but hair works to Geralt only. That's with a 2500k at 4.5ghz and factory minimal OC on my cards, RAM set to XMP profile. Within 1-2 fps, Windows 7 to 10. That's running 3440x1440. If you're getting substantiality less on newer hardware something is wrong.

I agree.

I had to lower the difficulty last night when I encountered the werewolf under the house. That health regen coupled with the auto targeting, making it impossible to target the adds, was a stupid mechanic.

My favorite build is a Sign heavy build with Griffin gear, its accompanying perk, and max points into the first 2 Igni skills. With these I can unequip swords and just blast him and his wolves with fire. It staggers them, so even on Death March he never laid a claw on me. This was with mastercrafted gear and 3 greater igni glyphs, but Igni works well at all levels with Griffin gear and perk.

My favorite build is a Sign heavy build with Griffin gear, its accompanying perk, and max points into the first 2 Igni skills. With these I can unequip swords and just blast him and his wolves with fire. It staggers them, so even on Death March he never laid a claw on me. This was with mastercrafted gear and 3 greater igni glyphs, but Igni works well at all levels with Griffin gear and perk.

I'm sure all this would help ... but how is it achievable at level 5-6?

Back