The Witcher 3 still worth playing?

ChrisUlrich

Weaksauce
I am looking for a RPG to play. I played The Witcher 3 on X Box One X for about 5-6 years but got pulled away from it.

Now I have a fairly capable PC and was thinking about starting it over. But I am kind of a graphics snob. Do the mods really enhance the graphics enough to be appreciated?

To anyone who has played it, is it as good as I have read? People have it ranked among the top 3 best games ever made.

I haven't tried any mods with the game (though high end PC blows away the console version). The title is supposed to receive a raytracing update for next gen consoles and PC - so it might be worth holding off on playing it again until the update is out.

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matt...ing-a-free-graphics-upgrade-with-ray-tracing/
I know they have mods for shading/lighting in the game. But you're saying the ray tracing patch will be done by the games developers?

Ok. Yea, it is. haha Sorry.

I see nothing on the release date though.

They haven't said a word on it since the initial announcement last September. Given the abysmal launch of CP2077 on consoles, it still not being fixed several months on, and the next gen version still not due until much later this year (assuming its on time)... I would expect that CDPRs current level of concern over updating TW3 is non-existant. Honestly, after everything that has gone down with them, I wouldn't be all that surprised if they decided not to move forward with the update at all. If they still do, I don't think it would come out anytime soon. I'd be shocked to see it in 2021. They just have way to much other shit to worry about.

If you're itching to play, just do it. Install TW3 Reworked Project and a good ENB and enjoy a game that still looks great and plays great and it absolutely worth your time.

They haven't said a word on it since the initial announcement last September. Given the abysmal launch of CP2077 on consoles, it still not being fixed several months on, and the next gen version still not due until much later this year (assuming its on time)... I would expect that CDPRs current level of concern over updating TW3 is non-existant. Honestly, after everything that has gone down with them, I wouldn't be all that surprised if they decided not to move forward with the update at all. If they still do, I don't think it would come out anytime soon. I'd be shocked to see it in 2021. They just have way to much other shit to worry about.

If you're itching to play, just do it. Install TW3 Reworked Project and a good ENB and enjoy a game that still looks great and plays great and it absolutely worth your time.
I don't know what the "Reworked Project" and a good "ENB" mean. :-( Sorry

But I think i'll take your advice. It has overwhelming feedback. Everywhere I read, it's a top 3 all time.

I don't know what the "Reworked Project" and a good "ENB" mean. :-( Sorry

But I think i'll take your advice. It has overwhelming feedback. Everywhere I read, it's a top 3 all time.
They are mods. Google "Witcher 3 Reworked Project" and follow the instructions on the Nexus page that comes up. It's not difficult to install and makes the game look a ton better.

They are mods. Google "Witcher 3 Reworked Project" and follow the instructions on the Nexus page that comes up. It's not difficult to install and makes the game look a ton better.
That is all subjective. All the ENB shaders I've seen for this game and others are garbage, in my opinion.

I like the Hd Texture packs, never been a fan of EnBs they are way to hit and miss.

Some of the other mods dramatically change the core gameplay, not bad but I do recommend playing it vanilla first.

My buddy just started witcher 3 and is loving it. Short answer, yes its still worth it today.

I never saw the appeal to this game. I installed it some time last year for the first time. I'll play for the night, and get bored. I tried again a few months later. Same thing. Never stuck with me.

I just read OP again, you've played the game, do you want to play it again? Yes it looks better on PC even without any HD texture packs, and yes you can fully modify the game play with a W3 overhaul. If that appeals to you then jump in, if not then its the same game you played just looking prettier and running at higher FPS.

I broke down and bought it (and played it) about 6 months ago, the mods weren't all that plentiful, but the game play is still solid. I still play the hell out FO4.

I played it during quarantine a year ago, spent about 150 hours, my game was heavily modded (mostly visual mods and a particular skill overhaul.)

I enjoyed it. Wasn't blown away, but well worth the time spent.

Fantastic game, although I do (and always did) feel that the combat and movement are a little clunky. Nothing that'll keep you from enjoying yourself, but it always felt like the various objects in the world didn't interact with one another quite right. VERY minor gripe, though. Still very easily one of the best games from the last 15 years and an A+ title all around.

Fantastic game, although I do (and always did) feel that the combat and movement are a little clunky. Nothing that'll keep you from enjoying yourself, but it always felt like the various objects in the world didn't interact with one another quite right. VERY minor gripe, though. Still very easily one of the best games from the last 15 years and an A+ title all around.

Yar, I can agree with this. I'm hoping with whatever next game they make in the Witcher world feels a bit more interactive. Actually, BoTW really impressed me with its world interaction (ie: the way fire affects grass and creates wind, etc). Hoping Witcher 4 (or whatever they call it) incorporates some of BOTW's more visceral world elements.

One of the things that messed me up when I first played the game was trying to time my button inputs precisely. I kept dying in the very first encounter trying to do this and found that mashing the buttons is more effective. It's the only thing that really annoys me about the game.

Yes, it was on release, and remains still, one of the best games ever made. Get the GOTY edition, download the HD Texture packs: I wouldn't worry about mods or the reworked version. It's an exceptional game as is, most of the non-official mods are incremental and only really worth it if you're already a fan of the game.

Actually at the end of a second play through right now, gameplay is much better with mods, somewhat better graphically, still think it looks great out of the box though.

Back