The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ann.

Yea, I just used the euro workarounds until EE hit. I'm glad to see them taking the community feedback on this release seriously. If The Witcher 2 is as good as I hope it's going to be, we may have ourselves a new RPG powerhouse developer. Just as long as EA, Ubisoft, or Activision never get a hold of them.

I'm not sure if anyone posted it here but I thought this was a great article about the improvements in Witcher 2
http://kotaku.com/?utm_source=Kotaku+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5e7c664c60-UA-142218-8&utm_medium=email#!5798181/12-splendid-things-about-the-witcher-2

I'm at the swamp with the golem, one of my quest is to have the blacksmith in vizima make a lightning rod, but I talk to him and theres no conversation options to select regarding that yet. I think I need to do some other quests in town first.

I'm at the swamp with the golem, one of my quest is to have the blacksmith in vizima make a lightning rod, but I talk to him and theres no conversation options to select regarding that yet. I think I need to do some other quests in town first.

The endless amount of running around you have to do in this game is a real chore.

The quest that got me was turning on all of the whatever things that sent beams of light up into the sky. I killed the golem. I think the one at the windmill stumped me? Or something I could not find the last one. Difficulty was no issue. Just figuring where things were did me in. Played to that point twice and gave up both times lol.

The quest that got me was turning on all of the whatever things that sent beams of light up into the sky. I killed the golem. I think the one at the windmill stumped me? Or something I could not find the last one. Difficulty was no issue. Just figuring where things were did me in. Played to that point twice and gave up both times lol.

QUITTER!

I remember getting confused at that point for a while too. I asked the druid to summon a storm before I had the rod, or so I thought. I forget how I fixed it but it turned out to be a result of my stupidity/poor attention than the game's error. Look up the quest on the wiki if you're stuck, I found it helped a lot. Also helped me get my hands on the good sword guarded by the wyverns off to the edge of the swamp.

DRM QUESTION:

Will the Witcher 2 have SecuROM on Steam? I know GOG has a drm free version and retail has SecuROM but what will the steam version have?

Long Answer:
CD Projekt RED said:
WHAT DRM WILL THE WITCHER 2 HAVE?
The primary reason for including copy protection with internet activation is to address the biggest
concern of our publishing and distribution partners, which is potential piracy before release. To do
so, we must implement at least a minimal form of protection.
The Witcher 2 will be delivered to external manufacturing plants weeks before release. It is virtually
impossible to guarantee absolute security for this entire time. Any leak of the code can gravely
compromise the commercialization of the game, and we want to be sure that the first people to play
it will be the fans and customers who are waiting for their official copies.
That’s why, together with our publishing and distributing partners, we decided to use copy
protection. The Digital Premium Edition available from GOG.com will be the sole exception. Since it
is our sister company, located in the same building, we are completely confident the code will be
absolutely secure.
As a company and also as gamers ourselves, we’d like to stress that we are against any kind of copy
protection that might affect the game experience or limit the usability of legally purchased copies.
For this reason, we decided to implement a custom version that is the lightest and least intrusive
possible. During installation, it will be necessary to connect to the Internet one time – but NEVER
while playing. Similarly, the only time you need to have the disks in your drive is during installation.
While we are aware of some players’ associations with the SecuROM technology, the server
infrastructure of its provider, SONY, gives us the highest level of confidence that registering legal
copies will be problem-free. Every legal copy can be played on up to five machines at a time. What’s
more, registrations can be revoked at any time; in effect, The Witcher 2 can be installed on unlimited
number of machines. It will also be possible to make backups. Furthermore, we will make every
effort to cooperate with our publishing and distribution partners to remove the DRM in a postrelease
update.

Short Answer: Steam will have minimal SecuROM just like the DVD copy.

Sources: http://www.thewitcher.com/images/newsletter/TW2_FAQ_April2011.pdf & http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=28407.0

That developer is delusional if he thinks that the first people to play The Witcher 2 will be legitimate customers. Not gonna happen.

Edit: Wait a minute... what? You have to be connected to the Internet. ROTFWL! But what if it's raining, or what if I live in a part of the world where there is no Internet? Not every place in the world has Internet access. This just punishes those people.

You'll have to wait until post-release to find out if that's true.

Okay, but again, why is The Witcher 2 getting its usual pass - if this had been any other title people would be saying: ah, so we, the paying customers, have to wait until after the game has been released to have the DRM removed, while the pirates get to play on day one without the DRM.

I thought that when developers include DRMs that they're punishing the legitimate customers? Is that still the case, or isn't it?

And how come, in the past, people have complained bitterly about having to be connected to the net to install certain titles - not everyone has an Internet connection, I've repeatedly been told. How come that's suddenly not an issue?

I remember getting confused at that point for a while too. I asked the druid to summon a storm before I had the rod, or so I thought. I forget how I fixed it but it turned out to be a result of my stupidity/poor attention than the game's error. Look up the quest on the wiki if you're stuck, I found it helped a lot. Also helped me get my hands on the good sword guarded by the wyverns off to the edge of the swamp.

Yea I did that too, it zapped me killing me instantly I was like what. theeeee. fuck. lol

Who's buying this game day 1?

I usually avoid buying games Day 1, but I'm thinking I might make an exception for this game.

I usually avoid buying games Day 1, but I'm thinking I might make an exception for this game.

I'd have my hand up but I need to work on getting a graphics card first.

Had Brink pre-ordered since December and S8P, TW2 and whatever else are all flooding out. Good old BFG.

I am. Have had it "pre-ordered" from GoG for a long time now and can't wait. Pre-loading starts on the 10th.

Maybe I should actually play the first game. I stopped playing it a long time ago after not getting very far into it.

I want to, but I have so much shit to do before the end of this month, I might just force myself not to buy it for at least a week or two. I'm still undecided if I want to get the $130 edition from Amazon or not. I'll let you guys beta test the game for a week for me :p

$130 edition? WTF

*goes off to Amazon to looksee*

edit: holy crap, that's a lot of stuff it comes with, but $130 worth? Nah :p

those playing cards look bad ass.

I do miss the good ol days when big AAA title RPG's came out, you got like cloth maps, big ass poster sized maps that you could literally frame if you wished, and stuff like that. Those were beyond epic.

Now it's reduced to being part of collector editions :(

Last edited:
^Ultima is a great example of that :D

A friend of mine is a collector. He's got 8 copies of Mech Warrior 2, just because each one was optimized for different type of hardware (link - a pic I took last time I was at his place. The other 2 copies were in another room.) It's actually really cool. He's also got multiple cloth maps that you speak of for various games, among other things. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 2 copies of the W2 at $130, just so he can sell it later on ebay.

^Ultima is a great example of that :D

A friend of mine is a collector. He's got 8 copies of Mech Warrior 2, just because each one was optimized for different type of hardware (link - a pic I took last time I was at his place. The other 2 copies were in another room.) It's actually really cool. He's also got multiple cloth maps that you speak of for various games, among other things. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 2 copies of the W2 at $130, just so he can sell it later on ebay.

I have the Matrox Mystique version of MW2 :)

Whoever they had playing there certainly liked the roll ability.

That said, it does look like a very useful tactic for avoiding hits and managing crowds.

Yea, the best combat videos are when Tomasz Gop is playing. He doesn't seem to roll much at all. The really interesting video shows spell combos and combat combos. Now I need to go dig that up...

Yea, the best combat videos are when Tomasz Gop is playing. He doesn't seem to roll much at all. The really interesting video shows spell combos and combat combos. Now I need to go dig that up...

please do I'm really excited for this game, I think it'll end up being one of this years best games that gets released.

That's saying quite a bit when you consider the end of year lineup for this year! :D

Witcher Enhanced Edition for sale at GoG.com for only $5 on 5/10

you guys should buy it if you don't own it already, it's a damn bargain at that price.

Yeah man, I been looking at some of the dev diaries for this game on Youtube. They are subtitled, so you can tell what's going on and stuff.

From those videos, I can really tell that the CD Projekt guys give a shit about their game. You all remember how the translation was kinda mangled on the first game? Well, once Witcher sold so well and became a hit, the CD Projekt guys took the money and re-invested it into making the Enhanced Edition, and anybody who bought the game, could download the EE for free by signing up on their website.

Now with the way the gaming industry is today, that makes these guys really stand out to me, I'm definitely gonna give em my money, I'm thinking of ordering off GoG.com and cutting Steam out of this game, so that they get all the money instead of giving Steam a cut for being the middleman.

Definitely gonna support this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_(video_game)

right there, click on Enhanced Edition, it cost em $1 million dollars to make that EE, and they made it available for free to people who purchased the game.

Last edited:
Any difference between the 2 versions other than the middleman thing?

Pre-ordered today off Amazon. Normally I would go the DD route, but I had a $15 game credit that I wanted to use. $36 with release day shipping! I am very excited for this game. I loved The Witcher.

If you are going to pre order the game D2D has it for 25% off using the code, SIZZLER.

Keep in mind, since it isn't GoG it will have some DRM.

The D2D Europe site really sucks. Witcher 2 is 44,95€ and Brink is 39,99€ that equal to 65 USD and 56 USD. Luckily I can just shop through the UK-site and get them for 31.50£ and 29.95£ and use the discount codes so they're something like 37 and 31 USD. I dread the day when they're gonna block that by region.

The nazi-pricing is the same in Steam and I'm not putting up with it anymore! 1€ /= 1$ :p

Last edited:
I'm concerned about one thing. Combat looks poorly, it's like fighting dolls with a stick. There are no mutilations whatsoever, and so called 'killing blows' aren't killing blows at all... Just a different hit without wound effects.

That kinda sucks. Badly designed mists of blood were good like 10 years ago.

I'm concerned about one thing. Combat looks poorly, it's like fighting dolls with a stick. There are no mutilations whatsoever, and so called 'killing blows' aren't killing blows at all... Just a different hit without wound effects.

Dragon Age 2 is that way my friend ------>

All the exploding bodies, blood baths and rolling heads you can handle!!

I just pre-ordered off GoG.com. Listening to the bonus tracks and getting very pumped up to play this game. This is going to be EPIC

Last edited:
The D2D Europe site really sucks. Witcher 2 is 44,95€ and Brink is 39,99€ that equal to 65 USD and 56 USD. Luckily I can just shop through the UK-site and get them for 31.50£ and 29.95£ and use the discount codes so they're something like 37 and 31 USD. I dread the day when they're gonna block that by region.

The nazi-pricing is the same in Steam and I'm not putting up with it anymore! 1€ /= 1$ :p
Order from Gog. You'll get the $16 credit (or whatever it is).

So flying heads and limbs make for good combat nowadays?

As much as it sounds like GoG is a deal, the cheapest I've found is online retail. Not only is it cheaper, but they seem to have the retailer-specific bonuses like unique armour or whatever.

As much as it sounds like GoG is a deal, the cheapest I've found is online retail. Not only is it cheaper, but they seem to have the retailer-specific bonuses like unique armour or whatever.

It's always give and take. The GOG version assures zero DRM of any kind, though, and that's big for a lot of people.

Something to consider.

Back