The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ann.

Just got to chapter 2, game continues to be awesome. as for the vertical lines i have only noticed it in the town, outside of the town i honestly don't remember seeing them, ever.

The people with 2560x1600 aren't getting crash/errors, the game is silently failing to load and returning to the launcher, this is a different problem.

I'm having the silent fail problem at 1920x1200 and lowering the resolution/updating drivers/etc didn't do anything. I see that the launcher does start an instance of witcher2.exe, but then it stops (presumably crashes) and drops you back to the menu... Running the executable from the bin directory does the same thing.

Anybody able to resolve the silent launcher fail issue?

What resolutions did you try? Will the game run if you set the options to run in a window?

Damnit, good call: it works in windowed mode, but not in full screen mode.

Tried:

1024x768
1280x800
1920x1200

Also just upgraded to the NVidia 275 beta driver, but the behavior persists.

I'm having the silent fail problem at 1920x1200 and lowering the resolution/updating drivers/etc didn't do anything. I see that the launcher does start an instance of witcher2.exe, but then it stops (presumably crashes) and drops you back to the menu... Running the executable from the bin directory does the same thing.

Anybody able to resolve the silent launcher fail issue?

Yes, I had this problem too and found a solution on another forum (GameFaqs I believe...).

Set your desktop resolution to something lower like 1680x1050 or 1440x900 but leave your game set to 1920x1200 /full screen. When my desktop is set to 2560x1600 I cannot launch the game in any resolution unless I start it in windowed mode (which I'd prefer not to do).

Hope that works for ya!

Looks like it's a multimonitor problem. It launches full screen at 1920x1200 if I disable the left and right monitors, leaving only the center monitor active. What a pile of shit...I hope they patch this soon. I just filed a report on their tech support page.

Last edited:
Ok just played this for a while and its amazing...IDK what everyone is bitching about when it comes to difficulty..playing on normal and I have only died 3 times and am almost past the first cluster of missions...

As for the game performance I think it is doing quite well. I'm running Afterburner and fraps and the game seems to be scaling well across both cards, so I'm not sure what the others are talking about when they say crossfire is hosed on this game. Averaging about 45-50 FPS with the rig in my sig (i7 860@4Ghz and dual 5850's@850/1200.

If you're having trouble at combat with multiple enemies try this: Fill all four slots with throwing knives. You can spam these as fast as you can press, E, or w/e the hotkey is. They do 30-40 damage. One stack should kill one enemy at least, iirc. So get a bunch, spam them on the first guy that approaches, and repeat. Should help some.

That being said, I'm getting destroyed in the Flotsam swamp. The drowners hit really fucking hard.

If you're having trouble at combat with multiple enemies try this: Fill all four slots with throwing knives. You can spam these as fast as you can press, E, or w/e the hotkey is. They do 30-40 damage. One stack should kill one enemy at least, iirc. So get a bunch, spam them on the first guy that approaches, and repeat. Should help some.

That being said, I'm getting destroyed in the Flotsam swamp. The drowners hit really fucking hard.

Yeah. Going to level up some more before I try that gang again.

he was actually easy @_@
o and make sure you guys craft better silver sword.
i got superb one and it owns forest mobs

I'm able to get the 3 tentacles down and go through the wild ride, but I've yet to figure out what to do after it's crushed.

^^ Go up the pillar that he brought down, dodge the tentacles then you win.

I've measured the difference between the preset low setting and high settings. THe difference is only about 5 fps on my system which is e8400/5850/4gb ram under Win7 at 1080p (ubersampling disabled). I think most of the performance hit is due to heavier video memory consumption of the enabled effects. My core2duo is o/c to 3.6ghz (from 3ghz).

These leads me to believe that my CPU is the limiting factor w/ only dualcore instead of the recommended requirements of quadcore. Anyone else get similar results?

Could be, what fps and are you getting again? I can go test in about 5hrs or so, but I have a weaker gpu with a quadcore(@ ~3ghz) and I'd probably get 40-50fps on min settings at 1440x900. I get about 20-30fps on high settings.

I've measured the difference between the preset low setting and high settings. THe difference is only about 5 fps on my system which is e8400/5850/4gb ram under Win7 at 1080p (ubersampling disabled). I think most of the performance hit is due to heavier video memory consumption of the enabled effects. My core2duo is o/c to 3.6ghz (from 3ghz).

These leads me to believe that my CPU is the limiting factor w/ only dualcore instead of the recommended requirements of quadcore. Anyone else get similar results?
Have you followed my posts? I have the exact same system (including CPU overclock) except XP at 1920x1200. I get about 30 fps right outside the tent, anywhere from minimized settings to maximized (without uber) and even on different resolutions. The best guess seems like the dual core trying to process the non-graphics portion of the engine, but I don't really know.

I did finally get 50 fps during an indoor area.

BTW, do you get any hitching, especially when the camera pans slowly across a cutscene? You might have to get into the game a little to encounter some areas with it.

If your not seeing any performance difference between high and low, you obviously have a CPU bottleneck. This has been well established for years, you don't need to waste further time testing the obvious.

Just got to play a little bit of the game. WOW is all I can say, so far it's amazing in every aspect. The graphics are INSANE.

Went to Frys tonight and bought an EVGA 580 superclock........

This game better change my life for the price of this thing.

Honestly the combat isn't "hard" at all to figure out. The problem is that it's not very fluid, the enemies hit like a truck on Normal and above (I'm playing on Hard) and the hit detection is very iffy at times. Often you can't even tell if you'll hit the opponent either due to the way the camera spazzes in and out.

It's all a matter of simply hitting whoever is closest to you and on the outside of any "pack". If you have to start on another enemy, do it and then finish off whoever you initially got low when you have the chance. Dodge often sideways and backwards (rarely forwards). The most useful early and unpowered Sign by far is Quen. The difference between having it on and not is enormous, and since the Aard stun-instant-kill-animation is so random and Igni does terrible damage before you invest points into it, Quen is your best sign for the vigor early on.

Oh, and it helps to have had a save transfer from the first game. That nets you the three slot Raven armor as well as the Moonblade (very good silver sword) from the first. That helps A LOT with monsters--and none of the early silver swords come anywhere near it in power.

\/ \/ Thanks Vengance, I had done that before, but this time I completely removed them, then used the cleanup tool, then used the "clean install" option - performance more than doubled

Last edited:
Install the newest beta drivers and make sure not to install the 3D vision driver. Its causing major issues with frame rate.

Metacritic is on full alert deleting 0/10 user reviews by butthurt Bioware fanboys (and the odd Bioware developer too I guess).

You know even though this game publicly shames Bioware's recent efforts, I don't understand why people would want to trash it rather than call out Bioware and get them to do something better.

"Yeah let's all give this a 0/10 so hopefully no one plays this clearly superior game!!!"

It's ridiculous.

I want to give it a -10/10 solely because it's un-launch-able on my setup. As an added bonus, they took down their forums where I may actually get some help.

I just noticed the game has letterboxing for 16:10 screens. Didn't even notice it until today because the game is so epic. Also, I think the screen mesh artifacting is due to not running the game in a true 16:9 mode, such as 1440x900. I am running 1920x1200 at the moment. The original game did this as well I believe, but was remedied by turning off aa or af I think, don't remember 100%. No dice for part 2 though so far, maybe they will give us a nice big patch one day.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Aerondight
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/G'valchir
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Moonblade

I remember wondering why I went to the effort to finish the game with Gvalchir and Aerondight since they come so close to the end of the game. Now hearing they carry over I am even more excited to play this. SOMEONE BUY MY DINOVO EDGE OFF AMAZON

G'valchir doesn't carry over for many. I had that and the Moonblade and only the Moonblade and Raven armor carried over.

The stats of the Moonblade are not the same in TW2, they are:

14-22 damage
+24% chance to inflict bleeding
+5 bonus damage to signs

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Aerondight
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/G'valchir
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Moonblade

I remember wondering why I went to the effort to finish the game with Gvalchir and Aerondight since they come so close to the end of the game. Now hearing they carry over I am even more excited to play this. SOMEONE BUY MY DINOVO EDGE OFF AMAZON

Any idea how the stats compare though carried over to The Witcher 2 for Aerondight and Moonblade?

G'valchir doesn't carry over for many. I had that and the Moonblade and only the Moonblade and Raven armor carried over.

The stats of the Moonblade are not the same in TW2, they are:

14-22 damage
+24% chance to inflict bleeding
+5 bonus damage to signs

Suppose it's fair enough. You don't want to play the game with the best kit available from the start.

The game is pure awesomeness... the banter on the streets, proper language... though unluckily the English transaltion can't show the richness of all the curses, that are so rich in all the slavic languages :)

Also the quests are so twisted. Sometimes following the "noble" path end in total slaughter and totally opposite to what you wanted to achieve first. It's so like the books about Witcher (I'd recommend reading "Lesser evil" short story first).

This is RPG at its best. Bioware should really learn how to make good games from this one. Each choice bring moral consequences, each is meaningful. It's not the DA2 and it's crap dialogue options. Even the journal and quest descriptions are properly done, with the bard describing Witcher's adventures.

Great game so far, I'm almost done with chap 1. GoTY material if it keeps this up. I've been switching between 3240x1920 windowed with med-high settings @20-30 fps and 1920x1080 fullscreen on ultra sans ubersampling @40-50 fps. Overall I actually like the eyefinity better because it loses a lot less detail between max and med settings than any other game I've seen. It still maintains good draw distance and high res textures. Another factor is a lot of the settings seem to be vertical, lots of walls/houses so the extra vertical height is a big plus. I think its pretty playable as long as your min fps stay above 20 and you avg 25+ fps. Its not an fps, so extra eyecandy for a still playable fps works for me. I tried playing 3240x1920 on high, but min fps would dip too low in 4+ mob fights.

Just finished playing the prologue and a small bit of the first chapter. I'm loving it so far, one of the best rpg's I've played. The game looks great, combat feels fun and dynamic, and the story is very interesting.

Here are some minor problems I have with the game.

1. No ability to jump. The world feels smaller than it should when you can't jump over simple obstacles.
2. Because there's no jumping the devs were forced to place a lot of invisible walls that shouldn't be there. I'd like to see a more open environment, maybe even implement parkour style movement with the main character.
3. I find the shadows to be hideous and distracting to the otherwise great looking visuals.
4. Several npc's will repeat the same line all within a short period of time. I'd rather the npc's have unique dialogue.
5. No storage chest for all the loot you get.

I find the combat to be satisfying compared to the original Witcher. I make extensive use of the lightning shield sign, I find it makes a lot of the fights easy.

Back