The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ann.

Historically TWIMTBP has sent developers out to the game studios to fix and optimize Direct 3D code. Having met some of these people, they would normally show up, spend about 4 hours doing nothing but /facepalm, then get to work on fixing rendering paths. Often the fixes actually benefited ATI/AMD users as well, however people would still be like "OMFG TWIMTB ruined another game for ATI users".

Nvidia users are having issues with their drivers as well.

No, modded Oblivion does not look better. It's also obviously not a port.

It's funny he mentions Oblivion because that game IS a console port.

But yeah, this is the best looking game on PC. It's really something else.

oh hell.. im playing it since yesterday, its enjoyable and entertaining but: its just another suckingbox-xport-crap-console-fuckingthing.. dx9 with aspect ratio fixed on 16:9.. oblivion with a ton of mods is heavier and looks a lot better than this ^^!

developed for pcs? yeah right.. thank you marketing team, the only difference this time is that the console players will have to wait first :rolleyes:

What up troll.

No, modded Oblivion does not look better. It's also obviously not a port.

that depends a lot on which what.. i said is a good game but i was expecting a lot more than lazy dx9 with nice textures.. and about the console thing, we will see :rolleyes:

Do you think that means they're leaving a lot on the table with their single cards too? I'm aware of the CF issues but it's not clear whether the single card framerates are well below what they should be or not.

Perhaps, but performance for me with a single 5850 is in the mid 40's for fps. I'm not using ubersampling, but otherwise maxed. It runs surprisingly smoothly for me.

oh hell.. im playing it since yesterday, its enjoyable and entertaining but: its just another suckingbox-xport-crap-console-fuckingthing.. dx9 with aspect ratio fixed on 16:9.. oblivion with a ton of mods is heavier and looks a lot better than this ^^!

developed for pcs? yeah right.. thank you marketing team, the only difference this time is that the console players will have to wait first :rolleyes:
This is not Direct X 9 and its not a console port. :rolleyes: Oblivion can not hold a candle this game. Are you playing the right game?

that depends a lot on which what.. i said is a good game but i was expecting a lot more than lazy dx9 with nice textures.. and about the console thing, we will see :rolleyes:

It looks better than any RPG ever created for this platform, and they are lazy? I'm not so sure. Go into the forest/swamp around Flotsam, it's stunning.

I'd just like to take the time to remind everyone that Dragon Age 2 was DX11 and look how that game turned out.

Dumb people like to complain about anything.

Anyone complaining about this game being consolized can "Eat a bowl of dicks." per Ice-T.

The game looks fantastic--as long as you're not looking at something that has a light source projecting onto it while a shadow is moving across it. Because you get this disgusting crap (it's not a video card or driver issue, it's the engine). You get what looks like moving vertical scan lines. It's been seen with all kinds of system setups, graphics cards and drivers and varying resolutions. You can have every in graphic option maxed through the in game config (Ubersampling has zero effect) as well as crank up even more visuals through your video card settings.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/49583155.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/71693764.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/65367134.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/72230973.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/52296285.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/13845437.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/50798963.jpg/

Now imagine those lines in motion.

Perhaps, but performance for me with a single 5850 is in the mid 40's for fps. I'm not using ubersampling, but otherwise maxed. It runs surprisingly smoothly for me.
What CPU are you using? Do you have a savegame from right outside the tent in the prologue? I was getting 30 fps there whether I had settings at minimum or maxed (w/o uber). I haven't seen anything in the 40s yet.

Do you get even more if you set things to minimum? I'm trying to figure out why it makes no difference in my setup.

I'm adventuring around Flotsam but I still feel the combat is really clunky. I keep wanting Batman:AA, which this game is clearly trying to be and not managing.

It's a fun game though but the combat is.. a bit weak really.

I really don't think the combat is trying to be like that at all. This an Action RPG game with magic, and sorcery.

What CPU are you using? Do you have a savegame from right outside the tent in the prologue? I was getting 30 fps there whether I had settings at minimum or maxed (w/o uber). I haven't seen anything in the 40s yet.

Do you get even more if you set things to minimum? I'm trying to figure out why it makes no difference in my setup.

Q9550 @ 3.6ghz. Yes, dropping the setting does net me more frames, but it tops out around 70, which seems low considering the amount of settings dialed back. GOG version, if that makes any difference.

Win7 x64 with only 4gb ram, 11.5a drivers.

I don't think these graphics justify the low performance.
You call 30-40 FPS maxed out on a single card at 1900x1200 expect for ubersampling low performance? You don't need 60FPS to enjoy this game. Its not a FPS.

I'm adventuring around Flotsam but I still feel the combat is really clunky. I keep wanting Batman:AA, which this game is clearly trying to be and not managing.

It's not trying to be Batman AA. It's more like Demon's Souls.

edit: if the combat were like Batman, it would be way too easy. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic game, but I felt the combat wasn't challenging at all. And if you add easy combat to an RPG, it tends to get tedious pretty fast.

edit2: try playing the game on Easy and you'll know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah it's a shame. They said Batman was their inspiration for combat but it's not tight enough or designed the same way (perfect counters, invincible dodging). That's okay, it's an RPG.

They've also said Demon's Souls was an inspiration, but I have no experience with it.

Q9550 @ 3.6ghz. Yes, dropping the setting does net me more frames, but it tops out around 70, which seems low considering the amount of settings dialed back. GOG version, if that makes any difference.

Win7 x64 with only 4gb ram, 11.5a drivers.
Okay thanks. It's either my CPU (E8400) or something's wrong. I guess I could try the 'a' hotfix but I doubt that's it. Oh wait, duh. I forgot to ask what resolution you're at. I guess I'm terrible at this. :)

Okay thanks. It's either my CPU (E8400) or something's wrong. I guess I could try the 'a' hotfix but I doubt that's it. Oh wait, duh. I forgot to ask what resolution you're at. I guess I'm terrible at this. :)

1920x1080, I should have mentioned that. Keep in mind this may be a dual core issue, as the developers stated it was designed for 3 cores and above. Though I have seen reports of bad performance with people using quad cores, too. I'm leaning towards video card drivers at this point. There are a few issues with sli and crossfire scaling, as well as nvidia users needing the latest beta drivers to get the most out of this game.

The game looks fantastic--as long as you're not looking at something that has a light source projecting onto it while a shadow is moving across it. Because you get this disgusting crap (it's not a video card or driver issue, it's the engine). You get what looks like moving vertical scan lines. It's been seen with all kinds of system setups, graphics cards and drivers and varying resolutions. You can have every in graphic option maxed through the in game config (Ubersampling has zero effect) as well as crank up even more visuals through your video card settings.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/49583155.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/71693764.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/65367134.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/72230973.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/52296285.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/13845437.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/50798963.jpg/

Now imagine those lines in motion.

Are you playing with ubersampling on or off?

When I initially tried with ubersampling that linear pixellization was not present anywhere. It only showed up when I turned off ubersampling.

It is an engine issue, but I suspect one they can patch.

Are you playing with ubersampling on or off?

When I initially tried with ubersampling that linear pixellization was not present anywhere. It only showed up when I turned off ubersampling.

It is an engine issue, but I suspect one they can patch.

Ubersampling has absolutely no effect on it--meaning, I've toggled it on and off for reference. I have personally adjusted every possible setting and that effect does not go away. Also notice that I said it was not just limited to any specific setup. There are many people complaining about this in other forums. You can easily replicate this yourself by going to those same areas in Flotsam. This issue was not present in the prologue simply because it's so sunny everywhere, and almost no one has a shadow overcast on top of them. As soon as you hit Flotsam, it starts looking terrible when it comes to shadows in the daytime.

Isn't that shadow effect the same as what happens in GTA4? Isn't it just a way of getting "soft" shadows? I know it looks pretty bad compared to other shadow systems but I'm fairly sure it's not a bug as such.

At the forge... Section on top of some castle with a dragon overhead spewing fire at you. areas left and right which give some shelter. 3 soldiers in each section. I have died here 50 times and just can´t figure it out when it´s free to run to next. And it has to go fast because the section burn down and give you no shelter after a while. One hit by the dragon and you are dead.

Tried sprinting which is suicide. Fighting and then sprinting suicide. Camping suicide. Feels like I miss something but what?

At the forge... Section on top of some castle with a dragon overhead spewing fire at you. areas left and right which give some shelter. 3 soldiers in each section. I have died here 50 times and just can´t figure it out when it´s free to run to next. And it has to go fast because the section burn down and give you no shelter after a while. One hit by the dragon and you are dead.

Tried sprinting which is suicide. Fighting and then sprinting suicide. Camping suicide. Feels like I miss something but what?

Go when the King goes. Also, you may want to use Quen sign, it won't save you from fire, but helps with the soldiers.

You call 30-40 FPS maxed out on a single card at 1900x1200 expect for ubersampling low performance? You don't need 60FPS to enjoy this game. Its not a FPS.
Slow down there, bud. Where did you make all those assumptions? I just said that in general, the game doesn't look that revolutionary graphics-wise for such low performance that the majority of players are getting. When did I mention my specs and frame rate?

And to correct you: YOU don't need 60fps to enjoy a game. I like my games to play smoothly on low-med settings and a fairly current AND overclocked system. I'm confident that the developers will heavily optimize the game as they did with the first title, so it's a matter of time, but I think anyone who argues against someone's opinion of the game having such obvious flaws is clearly trying to self-justify their purchase. In fact, most of your posts that I see are doing exactly that lol.

1920x1080, I should have mentioned that. Keep in mind this may be a dual core issue, as the developers stated it was designed for 3 cores and above.
You're probably right. I just set the game to 1024x768 and still got the exact same framerate.

Also, when Geralt enters his death animation, the framerate immediately goes up 20% (with the exact same view). I bet the engine stops calculating certain things.

An imported save I used gave me 250k orens. Could someone tell me how I can throw all my money away to make the game fair? lol
Just don't buy anything. Or gamble everything away, but that will take hours :p

Remember to use block as well, E, whenever you make a successful block your opponent is left open to attack. True, at the beginning of the game you're only able to block one direction but used carefully it's still better than having no block.
I'm not sure how early you get bombs and traps, but check your inventory and equip them, set traps or throw bombs using the R key.
Use the sign Oren (think that's what it's called), it's a blue personal shield/defensive sign that absorbs damage, it's very powerful.
You can dance rings around groups of enemies doing running strikes at them.
Lead them into narrow passages/choke points so you can keep bashing them with heavy attacks.

EDIT: I realize I said pretty much what Tudz did... I'm playing at Hard, BTW.

This is good advice. You should have bombs with you Frosty, use them, they can be more effective than signs. The game manual suggests using Yarden sign for this fight, btw. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it or not, but right below the scaffolding next to the wall, you'll find the Place of Power. Use it, it'll make you temporarily stronger. If you're having trouble finding it, just press Z to "scanner sweep" the area, and it'll get highlighted in red. To activate the Place of Power, walk right atop of it, and press Z again. I suggest meditating beforehand, and drinking the Swollow potion first, though.

I'm surprised you're having THIS much trouble with this area. It's not even the hardest part in the prologue.
I saw a post earlier complaining about the tutorial fights. I just wanted to concur and add my 2 cents. On normal, the tutorial/prelude is just plain frustrating. I think I reloaded 10 times on the *SPOILER* dragon part alone. Quen was the only way I could proceed without being incinerated. The game does a poor job of initiating new gamers IMO. I even played Witcher 1 and was and still am slightly confused. I still don't know how to drink a potion or add them to my quick bar.

I was having trouble with the dragon part too, until I figured out that you have to run when the dragon goes below the bridge :eek: But overall, yeah... they could've done somewhat of a better job explaining what's what.

The attention to detail in this game is phenomenal, GOTY for me as well!

GOTY for me too, hands down. :D Makes me wish I was back in high school again, with all the free time in the world :D Hell... I should just take a week off from work :eek:

We need to get some screenshots going. Though seeing everything in fluid motion is just sick. ;) Such an awe droping game.

I have yet to figure out how to take screenshots. None of the F1-F12 work... PrintScreen doesn't work either. I know FRAPS can grab screens, and if you're running on Steam, you can take screens that way, but for people who picked up the game from the store... we're somewhat out of luck for now, which sucks. I hope they'll fix that.

Think he means the pdf manual, it should be in root of Witcher 2 folder as the REAL game guide is actually 96 pages.

Yeah, the manual is 34 pages, while the Guide is 96 pages long... and it's mostly spoilers, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong, but... looking at the chapter titles in the Game Guide, it seems to me we can only play about 66% of the game on any given play through.

I am going to go back and play 1 after I finish 2

If my assumptions are right regarding the statement above, it'll be a long while before I go back to the first Witcher game :p

Actually, don't go with the King :D This was what I was doing, and the dragon was getting to me all the time. Stay close to the walls, look up at the sky, and wait for the dragon to go under the bridge. It'll be just before the whole thing burns down, so you have to act quick. Good luck!

Just started Chapter 1. I'm loving it. The combat overhaul is great, very true to the style of TW but much more technical, raw and brutal. I'm digging all the character redesigns as well. Geralt, Dandelion, Triss and Zoltan all look fantastic.

lol

I didn't even know what block was until I just read the above post. Have not really needed it.

I just said that in general, the game doesn't look that revolutionary graphics-wise for such low performance that the majority of players are getting. When did I mention my specs and frame rate?
The reason this game is low performance is because they haven't skimped on textures. No blurry lo-res console textures to be seen here. It's refreshing to see a game made for PC gamers.

The reason this game is low performance is because they haven't skimped on textures. No blurry lo-res console textures to be seen here. It's refreshing to see a game made for PC gamers.

They could scale them down though. But yes I do agree it actually look just as good on my 1920x1080 monitor compared to my 1360x768 TV. Not always the case :)

At the Fore. Yes going with the king is bad advice. I manage to find the sound que when the dragon flies by backwards. Getting through that a lot is won. then you just have to play chicken and let the other fight for you and try to sneak a hit in here or there if you can get a 1:1 instead of a 1:5. Oquen mandatory.

Slow down there, bud. Where did you make all those assumptions? I just said that in general, the game doesn't look that revolutionary graphics-wise for such low performance that the majority of players are getting. When did I mention my specs and frame rate?

And to correct you: YOU don't need 60fps to enjoy a game. I like my games to play smoothly on low-med settings and a fairly current AND overclocked system. I'm confident that the developers will heavily optimize the game as they did with the first title, so it's a matter of time, but I think anyone who argues against someone's opinion of the game having such obvious flaws is clearly trying to self-justify their purchase. In fact, most of your posts that I see are doing exactly that lol.
I apologize if I sounded brash or harsh. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I should respect that. Everyone's definition of smooth is different. For FPS shooters, I am willing to sacrifice eye candy for higher FPS. :)

Its just erking me that people are nit picking on the game instead of enjoying it.

Ugh, run into an annoying bug. My slo-mo screen shows that I have samium bombs, but I don't, I go to create them in alchemy, and make a few - "item created!" Get out of meditation, and no bombs show up in the inventory. But when I press the throw bomb button, the right number get tossed out.

I have success with actually being able to play the game. Games looks great & is butter smooth with all settings at max (1920x1200 res) minus UberSampling. I've only died once on normal & I'm up to the dragon part of the game. I'm definitely looking forward to playing more of it :D

Ubersampling has absolutely no effect on it--meaning, I've toggled it on and off for reference. I have personally adjusted every possible setting and that effect does not go away. Also notice that I said it was not just limited to any specific setup. There are many people complaining about this in other forums. You can easily replicate this yourself by going to those same areas in Flotsam. This issue was not present in the prologue simply because it's so sunny everywhere, and almost no one has a shadow overcast on top of them. As soon as you hit Flotsam, it starts looking terrible when it comes to shadows in the daytime.

Yeah, it is honestly quite bad when you see it, which is often, at least in Flotsam at daytime.

Back