The Windows 10 October 2018 Update Still Has Issues

Microsoft needs to stop and focus on quality control. This is absurd.

I'm not sure they can at this point. Microsoft doesn't have a good track record for pulling products out of a tailspin. Most of the old Windows division talent is gone or doing other stuff now.

Windows isn't the moneymaker for them anymore, they aren't going to throw money and talent at fixing it. The profitable services side of the company has a Linux-oriented culture and is starting to see Windows as a liability. I honestly think we're looking at Windows falling off a cliff like their phone division did.

I wonder what our two Microsoft reps have to say about this. Oh wait, VR and windows still works with a huge amount of hardware blah blah blah.

Reactions: naib
like this
I wonder what our two Microsoft reps have to say about this. Oh wait, VR and windows still works with a huge amount of hardware blah blah blah.

Haha read this forum post just see what response we got from them, glad I'm not the only one that's a sucker for punishment!

my network shortcuts work and I can manually get to shares but under explorer network only shows my router. so yeah something is kinda goofy, network discovery or something, but the network does still work. oh and im on insider 18282, so they haven't fixed it yet...
edit: corrected version #

Last edited:

Haha read this forum post just see what response we got from them, glad I'm not the only one that's a sucker for punishment!
and you two cant be bothered to add to the thread, just troll?!

Of course, I still use Windows and will do so for the foreseeable future. Now more than ever, it is time to get acquainted with alternatives, whatever they are. Computers are a necessity, and anyone who fully invests his/her career on the products of a single company is being shortsighted. It has become common to have companies pull a fast one when they're able to. Our job is to make sure we know how to carry on without giving in.

and you two cant be bothered to add to the thread, just troll?!

What’s to add? Would you prefer i post something hating on Microsoft, or that the new management don’t care about desktop users, or that Windows 7 was much better? All been said, over and over, yet some continue to defend Microsoft and attack other OSs. Maybe I am just one of those morbid types who slows down to gawk at a horrifying road wreck from the safety of my Apple car? That would just kick off an Apple hate stream, so I’ll just sit back, watch, be amused an occasionally proffer my opinion, like everyone else does.

What’s to add? Would you prefer i post something hating on Microsoft, or that the new management don’t care about desktop users, or that Windows 7 was much better? All been said, over and over, yet some continue to defend Microsoft and attack other OSs. Maybe I am just one of those morbid types who slows down to gawk at a horrifying road wreck from the safety of my Apple car? That would just kick off an Apple hate stream, so I’ll just sit back, watch, be amused an occasionally proffer my opinion, like everyone else does.
you dont have anything to add and can only think to troll so have some restrain and dont post.

They've screwed over the LTSB branch as well, you can use that OS for 10 years until a new chip comes out that the version you are running doesn't have support for. So if they release a new CPU that requires Windows version X and you are on LTSB you have to either a) use an older CPU or b) re-image to a newer LTSB.

Well, if you buy a new CPU you're generally going to be performing a clean installation at that time, anyway. So, you could time new CPU and mobo purchases to coincide with the release of an LTSC version that supports it.

Also, generally, you can use any new Intel or AMD CPU on older OS versions without an issue, even if they aren't "officially supported". Kaby Lake is running LTSB 2016 just fine.

Well, if you buy a new CPU you're generally going to be performing a clean installation at that time, anyway. So, you could time new CPU and mobo purchases to coincide with the release of an LTSC version that supports it.

Also, generally, you can use any new Intel or AMD CPU on older OS versions without an issue, even if they aren't "officially supported". Kaby Lake is running LTSB 2016 just fine.

I guess that's a change for the 2019 LTSC, not the previous one.

All i know is now i have a ton of duplicate folders. desktop, documents, etc. many of these desktop folders don't store anything on the desktop and can't be deleted. it's a fucking MESS

you dont have anything to add and can only think to troll so have some restrain and dont post.
They added, it just wasn't what you wanted.

I will add for them. I am not surprised at this. Do they really need updates except security ones? Make most everything optional?
I will be a total jerk here and sorry to those who make a living working on pc's, but just make updating off by default and they can choose what they want?
Most people on here have no problem installing windows easily. Most I bet can't and need to take it someplace. So anytime they break something, it pisses people off
that they have to take it in or call MS.

They are trying to shovel in too much shit behind the scene that it is screwing with the proper release.

I bought a key on Ebay last week. Loading it today and that's it until support runs out in 2026. No more "feature" upgrades.

Support for any Windows 10 feature update (including the initial release) ends after 18 months release, there is no such thing as "support until 2026". That means 1703 Support already ended, 1709 ends in April 2019, 1803 ends in November 2019, 1809 support ends in May 2020.
See https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

WTF? This is getting worse and worse. How the hell do they think they can get away with this? And I'm sure there will be people defending them among the posts I haven't read yet.

Get out of the beta, go Pro.

View attachment 120894

Now precisely how you do that is none of my business.
I have set it to 365 days. The "feature" updates are always for the worse anyway. There was not a single change that would've been positive since the first version.

Wrong.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet#update

Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB Extended support end date October 13, 2026

That's why we rolled LTSB. The problem is the lack of support on later processors/cpus. We've already run across it with 2016 LTSB and 8th gen intel processors. Does it work? Yes, however we can't get pre-imaged desktops from our supplier with 2016 ltsb on the newer models with the new intel chips. We have to image them ourselves or upgrade our image to 2019 before they will do factory imaging again.

Is that the end of the world? No, but it's a far cry from being able to keep all processes the same for 10 years

I just put 1809 (Home) on my junky laptop yesterday. I was faithfully doing backups with the Update & Security backup program with 1803. Today, I run it, and it says there's nothing there !!! So, all of those 1803 backups are gone. I could care less, since the system is use of no consequence to me. Just thought I would share that one with you [H]'ers.

Reactions: GHRTW
like this
Ensure you have solid, stable, and relatively bug-free feature updates as head of the Insider Program or play Microsoft Ninja?

Ninja it is!!!!

330gpxk.jpg

Windows 10 has issues? No, Windows 10 does not have issues. My girlfriend has issues, and I still love her, and I live with those issues because I benefit so much from knowing her. The latest Windows 10 update has something beyond issues.

My update experience is that I can see all my user folders in Explorer (Documents, Pictures, etc.) but if I click on them from Quick Access the system tells me either I don't have permission to access those folders or the folders do not exist. I can get to them by drilling through the C: drive or through my user account, and the programs I use have no problem seeing the folders. I used to have a few of these folders mapped so they lived on a different hard disk from my C: drive, but the update before last broke that and I haven't tried to put it back. These are minor problems, but they're there, and it makes me uncomfortable since it means that something in the registry is looking at two different sets of permissions.

I have always hated the registry, not because it doesn't work but because it's so inelegant.

P.S. My girlfriend has issues, but she has been in stable release for at least 10 years, much longer than Windows.

Last edited:
Windows 10 has issues? No, Windows 10 does not have issues. My girlfriend has issues, and I still love her, and I live with those issues because I benefit so much from knowing her. The latest Windows 10 update has something beyond issues.

My update experience is that I can see all my user folders in Explorer (Documents, Pictures, etc.) but if I click on them from Quick Access the system tells me either I don't have permission to access those folders or the folders do not exist. I can get to them by drilling through the C: drive or through my user account, and the programs I use have no problem seeing the folders. I used to have a few of these folders mapped so they lived on a different hard disk from my C: drive, but the update before last broke that and I haven't tried to put it back. These are minor problems, but they're there, and it makes me uncomfortable since it means that something in the registry is looking at two different sets of permissions.

I have always hated the registry, not because it doesn't work but because it's so inelegant.

P.S. My girlfriend has issues, but she has been in stable release for at least 10 years, much longer than Windows.
Clean install time.
for windows, not girlfriend

Just like how they've never fixed the issue where if a mapped network drive can't be communicated with, it blocks explorer.exe from proceeding until a timeout. That bug has existed for many versions. You can replicate it easy by mapping a drive to a server and then turning off that server. Reboot the PC and load My PC, see how long it takes for directories/icons/etc to load.

Just unplug the network cord and the machine will finish booting right up. It was getting so bad at one point I considered getting one of those ethernet on/off switches until we were able to get a flaky server replaced. Then there was that profile bug a few years back that caused hangups on login unless you unplugged the network too...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My PC doesn't seem to want to update past 1803 anyway, but since I just purchase an RTX 2080ti, I want to check out the shiny new features.

Use the Windows Update Assistant to force it to update: Windows 10 software download website

I upgraded one of my lesser machines to see how it would go and so far no issues, but I haven't tested the network shares - I'll have to make a point to check them to see if they are OK still.

EDIT: NWRMidnight beat me to it :)

Back