The Wii U Thread (that doesn't suck)

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
To change the topic away from horse jumping for one moment... does anybody know if the upcoming 'Nintendo Selects' $29.99 (CAD) pricing will be applicable for eShop purchases too? I'm trying to dig up the information online, but work filters are blocking me from most Nintendo news sites.

Looking to finally pick up Super Mario 3D World and Zelda: OoT for cheap.

More updates for Mario Maker tomorrow! :D

KEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Mario 3D world, Pikmin 3, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze greatest hits are $16 with Amazon Prime preorder.

Very much enjoying it so far. The only thing I miss about the Wii version, is that fishing was better with the Wiimote. (at least the bobber fishing) I haven't made it to the proper fishing area yet. Maybe it's better. Otherwise, everything seems spot-on. I've played both the GC and Wii versions, but I'm still getting used to the non-mirrored map, because I played more on the Wii. I keep getting turned around on areas that are ingrained in my memory. They did a nice job on this.

I know. I played on Wii and the mirrored map (actually the Wii version was technically the mirrored one) just feels so wrong and confusing. What is most confusing is that the game conflicts with my memory, so I am always confused. Not like oh this is all new again confused, but like, dysfunctionally confused where I can't find my way out of places. Or perhaps there are some areas you must warp out of to escape that I just don't remember.

I do not like this reversed version for other reasons. It just feels wrong. The other version felt more right in terms how I picture hyrule logically laid out. This version is just ass backwards.

Note Hero mode gives you the mirrored Wii version but you take twice the damage and no hearts drop. Sounds like a freakin' nightmare to me. They should have just let us play the Wii version.

Overall, I like it, but this is not as good a game as I remember it. Something has been lost in translation. The pacing is slow. It feels a little on rails at times. I think the Ocarina 3D Remake and a Link Between Worlds have really raised the bar in terms of what I consider to be a good Zelda game. Twilight Princess is just not quite on par. I don't see myself playing this annually like Ocarina. There are just too many contrived sequences. The fishing. The wrestling. The monkey. And Midna is more intrusive than I remember. She leads you a little too much.

I now rank my Zelda games as follows

1. Ocarina 3D
2. A Link to the Past
3. A Link Between Worlds
4. The Legend of Zelda
5. Twilight Princess
6. Windwaker
7. Minish Cap
8. Zelda II: Adventure of Link
9. Majora's Mask
10. I know I am missing something here...actually I never played the Gameboy one.

Link's Awakening was actually pretty good, worth trying out at least... I tried to get into the "Seasons" and "Ages" games but kinda lost interest half-way through... they were more challenging as I recall but I think story-wise just didn't grab me...

I actually liked The Phantom Hourglass too, except the stupid timed Temple of the Ocean King area or whatever that you have to keep going back to over and over. If I played it carefully, I would run out of time. If I played it fast, I would get killed. Total pain. Eventually got through it though. I have Link Between Worlds on my N3DS, but haven't played it yet. I'm guessing that I will really like it. I'll probably start it after I finish up the Twilight Princess HD.

Somebody get Next-jin a tissue, reportedly Nintendo will be ending Wii U production by the end of 2016.

Nintendo will reportedly cease production of Wii U by end of year

Seems odd they would pour all of this money in developing Zelda U and then kill the system after launch. What they should do is just move Zelda to the new system and be done with it. It deserves more CPU/GPU power. I don't mind. I'd love to see that game end up on a more powerful system. I am all for a new system and the sooner the better.

Seems odd they would pour all of this money in developing Zelda U and then kill the system after launch. What they should do is just move Zelda to the new system and be done with it. It deserves more CPU/GPU power. I don't mind. I'd love to see that game end up on a more powerful system. I am all for a new system and the sooner the better.

I'm sure they'll release Zelda U like Twilight Princess: One version for the Wii U and one for the NX.

At least I hope so, it'd be a huge kick to the balls not to release it on Wii U.

Yeah, I thought, just like the last Zelda game, they would do a dual release, than support the wii-u for at least 1 more year officially, like they did with GameCube to the Wii.

Yeah, agreed. They'll dual release, then give some amount of remaining support. Probably keep some VC and Indie stuff pouring in for a little bit too, then chop it. Really though, I've gotten more than my money's worth out of this product cycle, and am completely fine with this. The Wii still gets used in a room in my house, and the Wii U will be no different. It's just that the NX will take its place in the living room (or however it works...) The only game I'm really waiting for now for it is the new Zelda, and I'll probably buy it for both systems. My kids can play it on the Wii U and I'll play it on the NX.

I actually liked The Phantom Hourglass too, except the stupid timed Temple of the Ocean King area or whatever that you have to keep going back to over and over. If I played it carefully, I would run out of time. If I played it fast, I would get killed. Total pain. Eventually got through it though. I have Link Between Worlds on my N3DS, but haven't played it yet. I'm guessing that I will really like it. I'll probably start it after I finish up the Twilight Princess HD.

So, after I said this the other day I decided to play Link Between Worlds. Wow, it's REALLY good. I haven't really put it down since I started it, and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I don't know why it took me so long to start playing it, but it's excellent! I think my wife is a little pissed by the amount I've been playing it. :D Usually I wait until she falls asleep to play games, but I've been playing this constantly. :D

So, after I said this the other day I decided to play Link Between Worlds. Wow, it's REALLY good. I haven't really put it down since I started it, and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I don't know why it took me so long to start playing it, but it's excellent! I think my wife is a little pissed by the amount I've been playing it. :D Usually I wait until she falls asleep to play games, but I've been playing this constantly. :D

Yar, that's next on my play list (currently going through 3DS OoT). I'll probably play through A Link to the Past first just to get myself caught up in that world and appreciate the nods Link Between Worlds gives to it.

This Star Fox coming out...

I don't know what to think. The last one i played was for SNES

I never played any of the others. I was too into Wing Commander, the Star Wars space sims, and some others at the time on my PC and Amiga. The railed aspect of StarFox just didn't appeal to me. Still though tons of people had an absolute blast with it, so maybe I would like it. I'm a little more open to this sort of thing now than I used to be. I've become maybe 2-3% more casual over the years :D

I picked up Mass Effect 3 for the Wii U over the weekend for $12. Never played it when it came out. I've got it sitting in Origin for the PC, but haven't brought myself to put Origin on recently. I'll start playing it this week. I played Mass Effect when my wife was out of town (beat it over those couple of days playing it pretty much non-stop.) She's out of town next weekend, so I'll probably do the same with this one. :D

So, another "reboot"? Why can't anyone ever continue a story, is it really that difficult?

Anyways, looks like an HD texture pack to the original game... The crosshair is a welcome addition though, that was my biggest complaint before :p

So, another "reboot"? Why can't anyone ever continue a story, is it really that difficult?

Anyways, looks like an HD texture pack to the original game... The crosshair is a welcome addition though, that was my biggest complaint before :p

We wouldn't want to alienate the children who never played any of the original games in a series would we? :D

All of the Starfox games have been really fun (I've played them all extensively, except the unreleased StarFox 2.. not sure if there is still a ROM floating around for that). It's Arcadey style though, so if you're looking for a "realistic" flight sim, then don't bother. But they've all always had tight controls and satisfying graphics/explosions etc, great animation, and lots of different environments. I'm sure this new iteration will be great, just with more things to fly and drive around on land.

All of the Starfox games have been really fun (I've played them all extensively, except the unreleased StarFox 2.. not sure if there is still a ROM floating around for that). It's Arcadey style though, so if you're looking for a "realistic" flight sim, then don't bother. But they've all always had tight controls and satisfying graphics/explosions etc, great animation, and lots of different environments. I'm sure this new iteration will be great, just with more things to fly and drive around on land.

Good to hear. I'll probably give them a whirl sometime. I'm into arcade(ish) games. I like simulators too, but I don't really have as much time to get into them as I used to. Something I can jump in and out of tends to get more play from me these days.

My Nintendo officially launched today!

I've played StarFox 2, you can get a nearly final rom that plays pretty well. It's not bad, but like the first Star Fox game it hasn't aged very well and I don't have any nostalgia for it to make it seem better.

Star Fox Zero looks like it will play pretty well. I might pick up a Wii U at some point just to the first party games that have come out for it. I'm sure I can get one cheap after the NX comes out.

the miitomo game is interesting... but WHY THE HELL do i need twitter or facebook to find a friend?

Yeah, no thanks. I don't use either service. (or anything like them for that matter) Forums are as "social" as I get on the internet.

I've played StarFox 2, you can get a nearly final rom that plays pretty well. It's not bad, but like the first Star Fox game it hasn't aged very well and I don't have any nostalgia for it to make it seem better.

Star Fox Zero looks like it will play pretty well. I might pick up a Wii U at some point just to the first party games that have come out for it. I'm sure I can get one cheap after the NX comes out.

You will be able to get the console cheap enough, but good luck finding the first party games for a decent price. Nintendo made sure that their best stuff gets really expensive. Example: Bayonetta 2 with included Bayonetta 1...$80+ on ebay. Pikmin 3, before it went "select," was $60+ for a used copy. I would start building your library now...

Bayonetta 2 was on sale recently for $20. Can't remember where. :unsure:

That's a good deal. I played it through 3 times so far. Definitely got my money's worth, and I paid full price. It's one of my favorite "pick it up for a bit, and put it down at will" games. Great for a bit of time wasting if I can't invest a lot of time in a more demanding game.

Yes, Bayonetta 2, the re-printed version with only Bayonetta 2 is readily available. It's Bayonetta 1 that is not (although you may be able to purchase on the eshop). Physical Wii U games can get expensive if you don't get them early enough.

Yes, Bayonetta 2, the re-printed version with only Bayonetta 2 is readily available. It's Bayonetta 1 that is not (although you may be able to purchase on the eshop). Physical Wii U games can get expensive if you don't get them early enough.

Yes, the first one is still available in the eshop (at least it was a little while back...)

I really enjoyed skyward, and I'd be all for an HD version -- but without motion controls. For me, that was the worst part of the game. I'm glad to see motion controls used less and less...

Same here. Skyward sword remake, yes please, but only if they strip out the motion controls. Otherwise not interested. The abuse of motion controls ruined that game.

I disagree. The motion controls in that game were about as spot on as I've ever seen. The aiming was good, the directional sword swiping was nice too. I don't think they should limit the controls to just one scheme at all though. The option should be there to use any available and compatible controller. No reason not to include everything. I'm not a huge proponent of motion controls either, but I feel like they worked here.

Reactions: Inu
like this
So the latest is Zelda pushed to March of 2017 to be released along with the new NX System. And in will be on the NX system as well as the Wii U. Which creates a dilemma for both myself and Nintendo.

If in fact they are making Zelda a launch title for NX, the question then becomes...why. If it is just to move systems, that is a problem. If, on the other hand, they include new functionality in the game, such as better graphics, that is fine, but the change should be significant.

I fail to see how they can launch a true NX Zelda game and release on Wii U. If they really needed the ram, CPU and GPU of the NX for Zelda, if they really were fully exploiting it, they would probably not be able to release the same game on Wii U. The fact that the game exists on both systems sort of dilutes both the Wii U and the NX as a system.

Twilight Princess HD is case on point. We have the remake. We have 1080p. But that ultimately does not bring that game into the Wii U generation of games. It still looks like a Wii game, essentially. Nobody is going to mistake Twilight Princess HD for a Wii U generation title. My concern is Zelda NX will really be Zelda Wii U with a little touchup, and now I am onto a new system with no software.

But I am playing devil's advocate here. I will buy NX and I will buy Zelda, unless the game turns out to be a flop.

I imagine, like when Twilight Princess was dual released for GC and Wii, there will be some NX functionality shoe-horned into the game.

I think the delay is probably to get the NX version up to where it should be. I have to imagine that it was already shaping up decently well for the WiiU version. I bet they are tuning assets, tweaking controls, and adding effects and things like this. Another year would give them time to really make a difference between the two. I bet most of that time will be spent on the NX version.

The Wii version of Twlight Princess did look noticeably better than the GameCube version. Not night and day in any sense, but better overall. There wasn't a huge jump in power between the two consoles though. If rumors are true, the Wii U to NX is a pretty big jump in performance. Hopefully they will take advantage of that.

Wii U is ceasing production Friday, November 4. Yesterday (October 31) was the last day for retailers to order stock. I guess the Switch is superseding the Wii U despite Nintendo's claim otherwise ("coexist").

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week
https://archive.is/xFO3t (archive of above)

Yea Nintendo is sitting at 13.3 or so million and will likely hit 14 million once it's EOL. It will fall below my estimates of 15 million.

So 7-8 million less than Gamecube but less than their historical 12 million average generation losses. That figure drops to 11 million less console sales on average for every Nintendo platform.

Depending on Switches price points I'd say it does 30-40 million. It'll be easier to tell once we get more specifics. It's targeting the 3DS market as well as their home market so it'll do better than their historical averages for home consoles but fall short of 3DS sales.

For those who have not powered up their Wii U in a while, a system update was released a few days ago.

Nice! Hadn't noticed. Mine still gets used fairly often, but I haven't been home for a week really.

Back