The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will make the same mistake, it's classic Nintendo. Denial over where they really stand in the market wondering why they keep losing more and more market share.

I think a big reason for the lack of change is their leadership. Iwata is a rock in his stubborness. Bring in some new leadership would be great for Nintendo (look at what Cerny did for the Playstation platform).

As for the 2016 release date - I don't think it's too unrealistic. The growth for the Wii U just isn't there (even with the multiple big name releases). I've seen reports of 'donut shaped hardware' - no idea what that could be referring to. Personally, I'd love to see Nintendo focus on more traditional hardware - not focused on 'changing the way games are played'. I think the success they had with the Wii has made them obsessed with repeating that same type of success.

It's not done until they stop supporting it. That said, I will agree it's in a distant last place. Partially to do with people saying things like "I'll buy it used, and only at $150." How one can give something praise for a good library of games, even admit they want it, but then won't support the company for it by buying one new is beyond me. Oh well. As long as I get that new Zelda game, I don't really care what anyone else does.

Yea I'm talking pre owned for everything and nothing from GameStop. Preferably craigslist or somewhere online affiliated with Heatware. I'd never buy anything dealing with the Wii U new.

But you bought a ps4 and Xbox one? That's pretty odd considering both of those consoles cost more than the Wii u and has less games worth playing.

I don't get how you can support not one but both "next gen" crapsoles but think the Wii u is overpriced.

But you bought a ps4 and Xbox one? That's pretty odd considering both of those consoles cost more than the Wii u and has less games worth playing.

I don't get how you can support not one but both "next gen" crapsoles but think the Wii u is overpriced.

I know, pretty ridiculous. I read that comment, and was immediately perplexed. He's been saying it for months. It's a good system, with the best console games around right now, and is also cheaper than the other new consoles. Yet, he won't buy it until it's $150 used. That makes zero sense, and it's opinions like that, that are keeping sales low. (that and uninformed potential customers)

Nintendo isn't doing everything right (marketing mainly) but the Wii U is everything that a console should be. Sure it could use a step up in power, but it's not hurting for it either. The games are gorgeous, and far more compelling than most other current console titles.

That, IMO is something worth supporting.

It's not done until they stop supporting it. That said, I will agree it's in a distant last place. Partially to do with people saying things like "I'll buy it used, and only at $150." How one can give something praise for a good library of games, even admit they want it, but then won't support the company for it by buying one new is beyond me. Oh well. As long as I get that new Zelda game, I don't really care what anyone else does.

Yeah.. I don't understand this either. I don't care "what place" it's in the "console wars".. All I care about is if it has a solid lineup.. Wii U is the best bang for the buck right now. Solid console, solid lineup of great games..

I think a lot of the people waiting fall into two categories.

A. Oh NOES! No Michael Bay special effects, HD textures and redundant multiplats!! Won't buy!

or

B. Oh noes! It's not hacked yet and I actually have to buy the games!

Yeah, not the most sound logic in the world. It's these very sorts of things that will make it less and less likely that Nintendo puts out the console that everyone seems to want in the future too.

The sad thing is, that many people are ignoring the fact that the Wii U is actually quite capable, and doing exactly what a console should do. It's got games that run fast, are responsive, bug free, and with a pretty nice aesthetic overall. The other consoles, while nice enough, are doing the sames things a PC does, but not as well, and actually hampering things for the PC side at the same time. They're playing games that are classically computer oriented (like shooters and strategy) but not doing them as well most of the time.

I may just be in the minority here, but I always thought of console games and computer games a separate things. If I want to play a console game, I'm likely in the mood for fast paced platforming, racing, light adventuring or role playing, or maybe sports or fighting of some sort. The sorts of things the Wii U is doing absolutely right at the moment. When I think of shooters, heavier role playing, strategy, etc. I think mouse/keyboard/computer. The XBOne and PS4 seem somewhere in the middle, and not doing any of it exceedingly well in comparison.

That's entirely my opinion and thought process, so everyone's free to disagree. In my mind though the Wii U is doing everything a console should and has classically done, and doing it very well. The only thing holding it back are people sitting on the fence or avoiding some imaginary obstacle.

Yeah, not the most sound logic in the world. It's these very sorts of things that will make it less and less likely that Nintendo puts out the console that everyone seems to want in the future too.

The sad thing is, that many people are ignoring the fact that the Wii U is actually quite capable, and doing exactly what a console should do. It's got games that run fast, are responsive, bug free, and with a pretty nice aesthetic overall. The other consoles, while nice enough, are doing the sames things a PC does, but not as well, and actually hampering things for the PC side at the same time. They're playing games that are classically computer oriented (like shooters and strategy) but not doing them as well most of the time.

I may just be in the minority here, but I always thought of console games and computer games a separate things. If I want to play a console game, I'm likely in the mood for fast paced platforming, racing, light adventuring or role playing, or maybe sports or fighting of some sort. The sorts of things the Wii U is doing absolutely right at the moment. When I think of shooters, heavier role playing, strategy, etc. I think mouse/keyboard/computer. The XBOne and PS4 seem somewhere in the middle, and not doing any of it exceedingly well in comparison.

That's entirely my opinion and thought process, so everyone's free to disagree. In my mind though the Wii U is doing everything a console should and has classically done, and doing it very well. The only thing holding it back are people sitting on the fence or avoiding some imaginary obstacle.

Wii U actually caused me to stop upgrading my PC.. Got sick and tired of dumping money into a PC just to play the same recycled formula of AAA multiplats at max settings that come chock full of bugs, ridiculous bloated system requirements that don't translate at all to the actual game play and graphics and shitty performance that require you to sit on your hands and wait for a patch or try a number of "tweaks" to make the game run smoothly. Ubisoft was my PC nail in the coffin for now. Any other good PC games I can run fine with my current hardware.. Usually indie titles or not game companies looking to fleece money out of my wallet with inflated specs and overhyped gameplay..

I'm 37 and been having a ball playing Lego City Undercover all day. Probably will pop in Captain Toad later for some puzzle fun.

Considering nearly all the games I play are from Japan and the Wii-U is dominating in Japan I'm good to go. I care not what the mindless COD humanoid drones buy. I'll be playing Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem in 2015.

though now the PS4 has blood borne going for it too so its a contender now...but I think I'll hold of with the dream it will get a PC release.

Wii U actually caused me to stop upgrading my PC.. Got sick and tired of dumping money into a PC just to play the same recycled formula of AAA multiplats at max settings that come chock full of bugs, ridiculous bloated system requirements that don't translate at all to the actual game play and graphics and shitty performance that require you to sit on your hands and wait for a patch or try a number of "tweaks" to make the game run smoothly. Ubisoft was my PC nail in the coffin for now. Any other good PC games I can run fine with my current hardware.. Usually indie titles or not game companies looking to fleece money out of my wallet with inflated specs and overhyped gameplay..

I'm 37 and been having a ball playing Lego City Undercover all day. Probably will pop in Captain Toad later for some puzzle fun.

I bought a GTX 970, but that's the only thing I've done to my PC in a few years. I've never had one this long before. It's an X58 based Xeon system, and still playing anything I throw at it, especially now with this 970. I don't plan on doing much to it for at least another year or two now. (also 37 :D ) I play mostly id-style twitch shooters, RPGs, and do quite a bit of Borderlands playing with my daughters. Otherwise I think Star Citizen is the only thing on my horizon that will push it at all. (and now with the 970 that runs smooth as silk)

The Wii U fills in every other gap in my gaming style. I like to play Mario and Zelda games. I play one or the other or both every fall with my kids. Bayonetta was a very nice surprise for me. I never played the first one, and don't usually go for those types of games much. I was quite impressed, and played through it twice (and then some.) Easily got my money out of that one, not to mention I have the first one now for $10 by buying the second one. I also managed to get around 3-4 games for free with the MK8 promotion, and another one around that time. I'm very happy with the Wii U. Also my kids love it, and it's nice that they can be in the same room playing games while we use the TV for movies, Steam games, etc. It really just adds a lot to a gaming household. I play games in bed on the game pad too sometimes.

Anyway, I know I sound like a Nintendo shill or something, but the Wii U + PC combo is probably the best gaming experience I've had since the Commodore 64. It's a shame more people don't jump on it.

I definitely plan on giving Captain Toad a try too. Looks like fun, and I was a fan of those stages on SM3DW.

That is kinda crazy, not sure what the home situation is there, but for me an ideal setup would be a Xbone, PC or PS4 and a Wii U. At this point in the game the PS4 and Xbone have nearly identical third party libraries and their 1st party libraries aren't really worth owning both consoles for.

It'd just be so nice if Nintendo would release a console that was also attractive for multiplatform releases. Sure, the CoD/Assassin's Creeds/etc are redundant, but there are gems like the Witcher series, DA: Inquisition, GTA5 that I want to play as well, but can't unless I also own either a Sony, PC or MS console. I'd much rather have a Nintendo console that could act as my 'main' console and not as a 'supplementary' console so that I can play the great Nintendo software on.

Last edited:
I've been a PC gamer for years, and never had a spot in my gaming environment for a console. But we just got my son a Wii U, and let me tell you, it's a fucking blast. Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, and the Mario games are awesome. I can honestly say, in my opinion, that the Wii U is the only console that fits the small void in a PC gamers ecosystem. The PS4/Xbone try to market these big box games, most of which are already on the PC, but then have outdated hardware that leaves them lacking. Neither of them have an IP that I'd buy the system for. Not to mention using a controller for FPS is just pure fail, and only a consoler will dispute that.

But the Wii U brings games that aren't available on PC at all, are fucking awesome, and are better for in-the-room multiplayer on a big TV. It's great for families/friends to be able to sit down and play together with up to 8 player support. I think the Wii U has finally come into it's own, and it's the only console that offers something we can't get on our gaming PC's. Awesome IP's, and great multiplayer for families/friends/parties. Couldn't be happier with the purchase.

This thread title made me LOL.

I'd much rather have a Nintendo console that could act as my 'main' console and not as a 'supplementary' console so that I can play the great Nintendo software on.

I agree with this completely. It would definitely be nice if it could be the primary console. I do by default always have a nice PC on hand (even if my current one has been stretched a bit) so that's not AS important to me. But it's a very valid argument. I sure wouldn't complain if the Wii U had more power. :D For the space it currently occupies (physically in the home, and figuratively in the market) though it does everything it needs to. It's just that it could do quite a bit more with just a touch more power, and a little more 3rd party support.

Nevermind it's fully backwards compatible with Wii discs. And if you homebrew the Virtual Wii, fully compatible with Gamecube "Backups"... 3 consoles in one.. It's strange why Nintendo didn't allow the Wii U to read Gamecube discs as the games are fully supported on the hardware. Still 3 consoles, one box.. You just can't go wrong.

Nevermind it's fully backwards compatible with Wii discs. And if you homebrew the Virtual Wii, fully compatible with Gamecube "Backups"... 3 consoles in one.. It's strange why Nintendo didn't allow the Wii U to read Gamecube discs as the games are fully supported on the hardware. Still 3 consoles, one box.. You just can't go wrong.

Does that work with actual GC discs too, or do they have to be ripped? I haven't had the time or inclination to do any of that sort of thing for years (Think my DSi and Gamecube were my last modded consoles.) If it works with real discs, I still have a few I'd like to run like that.

It'd just be so nice if Nintendo would release a console that was also attractive for multiplatform releases. Sure, the CoD/Assassin's Creeds/etc are redundant, but there are gems like the Witcher series, DA: Inquisition, GTA5 that I want to play as well, but can't unless I also own either a Sony, PC or MS console. I'd much rather have a Nintendo console that could act as my 'main' console and not as a 'supplementary' console so that I can play the great Nintendo software on.

I disagree. Some games are just better on PC so I'm going to have a PC regardless of what other consoles are out. LOL, DOTA, Diablo, Battlefield, civ, ect... are all far better on PC and would never want to play these on a console.

the worst thing Nintendo can do is try and be like sony and MS, which given their weak first party titles, are the most at risk to die. Nintendo calls all their own shots they have no pressure/reliance from ass hats like activation or EA. For example if Nintendo wanted to have a no Pay to Win policy they could do so. Sony and MS would have to do what the developer wants or risk not getting a AAA titles.

I'd never want them to have more 3rd party or emulate the other consoles AT THE EXPENSE of what they do now. Adding a little breadth to the library, or a little power to the system while maintaining everything they already do well, would give them a wider adoption rate though.

For example, I haven't seen an SSX style game come out for the Wii U yet. That was one of the third party games I used to enjoy on Nintendo platforms (since the GC anyway.) It would be nice to see a bit of that. I'd never want them to bow to those big publishers though either.

I also agree that some games are just plain better on the PC, and I wouldn't attempt to play them on a console in the PC's place. However, the more any one platform in the house can do, the better. I play some platformers and puzzlers on my gaming HTPC via Steam in my living room, even though I've got the Wii U there too. There can be some overlap. I'd prefer not to play an FPS on the console though. :D

I'd never want them to have more 3rd party or emulate the other consoles AT THE EXPENSE of what they do now. Adding a little breadth to the library, or a little power to the system while maintaining everything they already do well, would give them a wider adoption rate though.

For example, I haven't seen an SSX style game come out for the Wii U yet. That was one of the third party games I used to enjoy on Nintendo platforms (since the GC anyway.) It would be nice to see a bit of that. I'd never want them to bow to those big publishers though.

But nothing in life or business is free. In order to get that extra power it will come with an extra cost. Which would probably put them in the same price point as PS3 and xbox.

Mario 3Dworld and Mario Kart 8 look pretty damn good and run smooth the extra power would simply be to run none nintendo PC games.

the name 'Wii-U' is an obvious failure.
the marketing sucked.
having the game pad optional to reduce cost might have been a good idea.

Last edited:
But nothing in life or business is free. In order to get that extra power it will come with an extra cost. Which would probably put them in the same price point as PS3 and xbox.

Mario 3Dworld and Mario Kart 8 look pretty damn good and run smooth the extra power would simply be to run none nintendo PC games.

I also agree with those statements. (guess I'm just agreeable :D ) I don't think anything about the Wii U actually NEEDS to change. I have zero complaints with it. I just wouldn't be adverse to any improvements they might have done in those departments. All of the games I've played on it have been gorgeous. Perfect framerates, excellent detail levels, etc. Bayonetta 2 is stunning. The first party games are as well, though I use Bayonetta as an example since it has an aesthetic that more closely resembles that of games on the other systems.

I think a game console that had Nintendo's first party titles and the same strong third party support as MS or Sony would be able to justify a price point matching Sony or MS' current machines.

Does that work with actual GC discs too, or do they have to be ripped? I haven't had the time or inclination to do any of that sort of thing for years (Think my DSi and Gamecube were my last modded consoles.) If it works with real discs, I still have a few I'd like to run like that.

Ripped only hence I said "backups" of Gamecube games. Even though the Wii U doesn't have Gamecube controller adapters Nintendont (the homebrew that runs GC rips on Wii/Wii U) supports the Wii U pro controller.

Actually playing Mario Party 5 as we speak that way.

dYxiOZR.jpg

Blah, wish I was at home playing Mario Party instead of sitting in the office at work! :p

Ripped only hence I said "backups" of Gamecube games. Even though the Wii U doesn't have Gamecube controller adapters Nintendont (the homebrew that runs GC rips on Wii/Wii U) supports the Wii U pro controller.

Actually playing Mario Party 5 as we speak that way.

dYxiOZR.jpg

I figured that's what you meant, but thought I'd ask. Not sure it would be worth the trouble to track down or actually rip them myself at this point. I use Dolphin quite a bit, but am missing a couple of games from my physical GC library. One of them is actually scraped up pretty badly and barely works in my actual GC, (kids...) and there are one or two others. However, it may be more trouble than it's worth to track them down. I've got all the must-haves in Dolphin now anyway. My discs sit in a box. If it was easy, I'd have jumped on this method. :D Thanks for elaborating though.

I know, pretty ridiculous. I read that comment, and was immediately perplexed. He's been saying it for months. It's a good system, with the best console games around right now, and is also cheaper than the other new consoles. Yet, he won't buy it until it's $150 used. That makes zero sense, and it's opinions like that, that are keeping sales low. (that and uninformed potential customers)

Nintendo isn't doing everything right (marketing mainly) but the Wii U is everything that a console should be. Sure it could use a step up in power, but it's not hurting for it either. The games are gorgeous, and far more compelling than most other current console titles.

That, IMO is something worth supporting.

Value for me is infrastructure and support neither of which Nintendo provides. The Wii U is not everything a console should be, they should have some type of online services and third party support. It's almost 2015 and everyone in the world shares these same opinions. I'm not in the minority here.

I'll buy used not because I don't want to support Nintendo, but because they frankly don't want my support. That was proven on Black Friday especially. I was hoping to see a Wii U bundle with SSB, MK8 and Mario 3D World for 250-300.

Guys they sold 250k in November on their 3rd year.

It's done.

Value for me is infrastructure and support neither of which Nintendo provides. The Wii U is not everything a console should be, they should have some type of online services and third party support. It's almost 2015 and everyone in the world shares these same opinions. I'm not in the minority here.

I'll buy used not because I don't want to support Nintendo, but because they frankly don't want my support. That was proven on Black Friday especially. I was hoping to see a Wii U bundle with SSB, MK8 and Mario 3D World for 250-300.

Guys they sold 250k in November on their 3rd year.

It's done.

You are the minority as nobody knows what you're talking about and you make some pretty far fetched, sweeping claims without providing proof of anything you're saying.

Regardless, I didn't really see any great sales on the Wii-U this holiday season. Kind of disappointed.

Regardless, I didn't really see any great sales on the Wii-U this holiday season. Kind of disappointed.

Depends on your definition I guess. I got the Deluxe Wii U with Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, and Nintendo land for $300. That's a damn good deal for easily some of the best games of the year along with the system to play them. I'm not sure what people are wanting. To me, $300 is cheap for all that. I guess people are wanting, what, the magic $199.99???

Depends on your definition I guess. I got the Deluxe Wii U with Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, and Nintendo land for $300. That's a damn good deal for easily some of the best games of the year along with the system to play them. I'm not sure what people are wanting. To me, $300 is cheap for all that. I guess people are wanting, what, the magic $199.99???

As a Wii U owner, I think the console should be $199 and never have included the Gamepad. The Gamepad is a gimmick in most games, it really doesn't add a lot and very often just mirrors what is on the TV anyway.

As a Wii U owner, I think the console should be $199 and never have included the Gamepad. The Gamepad is a gimmick in most games, it really doesn't add a lot and very often just mirrors what is on the TV anyway.

Gimmick my ass... Tell that to my 8 year old who can now play games if im on the Xbox or watching a movie with mom. The gamepad is nothing short of brilliant.

Gimmick my ass... Tell that to my 8 year old who can now play games if im on the Xbox or watching a movie with mom. The gamepad is nothing short of brilliant.

...and my kid runs off with the Gamepad all the time to go watch iCarly reruns on Netflix. Still not worth an extra $100 to me and the sales numbers agree as well.

...and my kid runs off with the Gamepad all the time to go watch iCarly reruns on Netflix. Still not worth an extra $100 to me and the sales numbers agree as well.

A) you are pulling the $100 number out of your ass.
B) You do not know why the system is not selling so dont pretend the gamepad is the reeason why.

I think they could have possibly made the gamepad optional for aboot 100 bucks.

wooping some online ass in Mario Kart 8 while blasting out a massive shit is pretty dam nice.

I might alone in this but I'd never what to use a console for internet. That is what my computer is for or even my phone does internet better then a console.

To be honest and I love the gamepad I think that it was a mistake. Its expensive ($154 to replace in Japan and you can't replace it anywhere else) , its quite gangly , its got a horribly weak standard battery and you can only use one (Nintendo says it can support two but since you can't buy one except in Japan and its expensive as hell who would want to?).

Its great for off screen viewing but its not even HD resolution. The Wii U Pro controller should have been standard. Nintendo tried to create another "gimmick" to sell their console based on the Tablet craze during the launch of the Wii U. I don't really get the logic in that since if you owned a tablet you wouldn't want another tablet needlessly.

If the only argument you can make is that your kid can do something while you are doing something just keep in mind without the gamepad you could have probably cut the cost of the system by half and you could always buy your child a cheap monitor to take care of his display issues. You could literally get a 1080p monitor for less than $100 and its already better than the gamepad since its 1080p HD and much larger.

The truth is Nintendo made a mistake. It gauged the market incorrectly and tried to get lightning to strike twice in the same place. It failed.

That being said I think the Wii U is absolutely worth its asking price and it features some of the best console exclusive games that will likely be offered this generation. Nintendo may be pushing development of its next console but like with everything they will take their time.

Totally dude. They should really GIVE me the Wii U and I should only pay $90 for the $180 games. Stupid Nintendo. Sweet brah.

When your console is selling worse than the Dreamcast and you have money in the bank you should be trying to increase your base. My theory is probably correct in regards to BF in that since they have zero online presence and no third party support increasing their base wouldn't have paid off in the long term. They couldn't have made a profit on licensing fees or online purchases.

Microsoft took drastic measures to win over consumers.

Like I said value to me is support and with only 2-3 games worth owning a year coming out if that it's not worth full price to include a handful of games. I love my 3DS, lots of playtime and way better than my Vita because for its market it does things right (for the most part).

I'd like to see their next console come out in 2016 and be at least 1.5x the specs of PS4 in an x86 design. Not for graphics but for "parity" to bring in third parties. They would still need to change their anti third party ways but that's as simple as firing Iwata and a few other ancients.

The reason they are seeing generational declines in market share is because their home country doesn't do home consoles like they used too. They have to adapt to the West in order to thrive in the home. They really have no choice in the matter, if they keep it up their next console will sell 7 million LTD.

Last edited:
When your console is selling worse than the Dreamcast and you have money in the bank you should be trying to increase your base. My theory is probably correct in regards to BF in that since they have zero online presence and no third party support increasing their base wouldn't have paid off in the long term. They couldn't have made a profit on licensing fees or online purchases.

Microsoft took drastic measures to win over consumers.

Like I said value to me is support and with only 2-3 games worth owning a year coming out if that it's not worth full price to include a handful of games. I love my 3DS, lots of playtime and way better than my Vita because for its market it does things right (for the most part).

I'd like to see their next console come out in 2016 and be at least 1.5x the specs of PS4 in an x86 design. Not for graphics but for "parity" to bring in third parties. They would still need to change their anti third party ways but that's as simple as firing Iwata and a few other ancients.

The reason they are seeing generational declines in market share is because their home country doesn't do home consoles like they used too. They have to adapt to the West in order to thrive in the home. They really have no choice in the matter, if they keep it up their next console will sell 7 million LTD.

Games > everything else.

Infrastructure? Are you serious? How's PSN been working out for you the last week or so?

And why are you so fixated on sales? So what if the Wii U sells comparably to the Dreamcast? You've said repeatedly that Nintendo is fine and this thread is not about Nintendo being "done".

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you start with your "nobody can refute any of my arguments" nonsense. You've already been called out for making sweeping claims with nothing to back them up. You've already been called out for buying either the PS4 and XB1 which many consider a lousy value even more than a year after their release. Are you going to respond to that? Are you seriously saying you'd rather pay $400 for a system because it has a "better" online presence and the same worn-out, redundant shooter titles than a Wii U? As has been pointed out (and you ignored), logic is sorely lacking here.

For the millionth time, done my ass. Unless you want to define "done" as not selling like the blue and green clones. Semantics.

Games > everything else.

Infrastructure? Are you serious? How's PSN been working out for you the last week or so?

And why are you so fixated on sales? So what if the Wii U sells comparably to the Dreamcast? You've said repeatedly that Nintendo is fine and this thread is not about Nintendo being "done".

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you start with your "nobody can refute any of my arguments" nonsense. You've already been called out for making sweeping claims with nothing to back them up. You've already been called out for buying either the PS4 and XB1 which many consider a lousy value even more than a year after their release. Are you going to respond to that? Are you seriously saying you'd rather pay $400 for a system because it has a "better" online presence and the same worn-out, redundant shooter titles than a Wii U? As has been pointed out (and you ignored), logic is sorely lacking here.

For the millionth time, done my ass. Unless you want to define "done" as not selling like the blue and green clones. Semantics.

I thought we all learned by now he was obviously trolling?

Eradan....

aa.jpg

If you stop paying them attention, stop believing in them, they eventually will disappear.

In the meantime, I will enjoy my Wii-U with my 10 games, all with super high replay-ability whilst awaiting the 6 or so games I am eyeing (plus ones not yet fully announced) for next year all worth every penny I gotz. Oh and those dang Amiibo's...... /throws money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back