The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no reason in religion only miracles and beliefs. Social trends explains the Wii outlier, the next time you goto the bathroom I suggest reading more of the thread and early Wii articles.

It won't see an explosion in sales, I don't need the unknown to tell me everything that is blatantly obvious using economics and numerous other indicators.

You don't need the unknown yet you say it wont see an explosion in sales which is currently unknown...very reasonable. If only I had them economics then I could see the future. When apple was near dead I would have purchased stock just before the iPod was made. I'd be playing dat stock market and winning them lotteries if I had your pro level economics and I'd were a go pro while I'm econmicing.

I'm going to bet at page 220 they'll finally admit their mutual attraction for each other, page 231 their sales charts will be replaced with flirty emoticons, and by page 356 they'll officially be a couple.

If you're referring to me and Next-jin, yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to that. He's into mowers and I HATE mowing the grass. And I'm detecting a little envy in your posts. Plenty of bromance to go around. Get on in here.

Not to keep this shit show rolling but its probably listed right here

http://markets.ft.com/research//Mar...ials?s=7974:TYO&subview=BalanceSheet&period=a

Edit: just like to add you guys are really ridiculous with this crap 150 fuckin pages of the same shit over and over.

I'm not subscribing to look at that. Thanks for contributing though.

And for the record, there's really no need for you read the thread if it bother you so much. I only do it because I spend most of my work day at a computer and I find it ever so slightly amusing. Sort of like watching Jerry Springer.

Not to keep this shit show rolling but its probably listed right here

http://markets.ft.com/research//Mar...ials?s=7974:TYO&subview=BalanceSheet&period=a

Edit: just like to add you guys are really ridiculous with this crap 150 fuckin pages of the same shit over and over.

Just gets bumps every 6 months when Nintendo releases a game then skyrockets downwards as people think it's the turning point even after continued patterns of 2 week bumps going back down to normal.

You don't need the unknown yet you say it wont see an explosion in sales which is currently unknown...very reasonable. If only I had them economics then I could see the future. When apple was near dead I would have purchased stock just before the iPod was made. I'd be playing dat stock market and winning them lotteries if I had your pro level economics and I'd were a go pro while I'm econmicing.

Apple had a focused plan that worked. At what point in Nintendos history would you say they have a focused plan that fixes their main issues and to a greater extent the Wii U which is ultimately what the discussion is about. It certainly wasn't the Wii, the problems were still there it just released at the right time at the right price with the right gimmick. Thinking Nintendo is going to be the next great Apple type of turn around is straight up delusional.

In order to see an explosion in sales that makes the entire point of this thread irrelevant they have to sell an insane amount of consoles expanding their market past the Nintendo core market. We are talking like 300k a month or more, and I'm sorry but MK8 (no matter how well received) is going to make that happen.

It's not an image problem, it's a robust set of issues which would take years to fix on the company level. The Wii U is going to be limping until their QoL platform and next consoles comes out. Assuming they are separate who knows.

I'm not subscribing to look at that. Thanks for contributing though.

And for the record, there's really no need for you read the thread if it bother you so much. I only do it because I spend most of my work day at a computer and I find it ever so slightly amusing. Sort of like watching Jerry Springer.

That's why I'm here, passes the time.

If you're referring to me and Next-jin, yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to that. He's into mowers and I HATE mowing the grass. And I'm detecting a little envy in your posts. Plenty of bromance to go around. Get on in here.

One day Seymour will have his very own arch nemesis/secret lover on these [H] forums too. :p

Do you use a riding mower? If you do go buy a cheap tape deck or get one from a scrap yard and hook it up to the battery, drill a hole in front under the steering column and mount a headphone plug there.

I restored mine and added stuff like a GT Grant steering wheel, Hurst shifter, car lights, car battery, onboard stereo speakers, fuel injector, etc.

I hate push mowing though, especially anything over 1/12 an acre.

Sure if you want to bring in handhelds. Not that it's the same market or anything. But let's roll with handheld trends;

Gameboy + Gameboy Color - 119 million
Gameboy Advanced - 80 million
Nintendo DS - 154 million
Nintendo 3DS - currently 46 million

See a pattern? The 3DS is not trending anywhere near the DS but it's close to Gameboy Advance levels and they have another 3 years or so to meet that goal.

The pattern I see is Nintendo is wildly successful across all areas of gaming, and realistically the Wii U is their first struggle since the Virtual Boy.

With that being said, the Wii U still isn't dead. Nintendo isn't leaving it to rot, they are creating AAA titles that will help move more units. This isn't the Virtual boy, and this console has a long life ahead of it.

The pattern I see is Nintendo is wildly successful across all areas of gaming, and realistically the Wii U is their first struggle since the Virtual Boy.

With that being said, the Wii U still isn't dead. Nintendo isn't leaving it to rot, they are creating AAA titles that will help move more units. This isn't the Virtual boy, and this console has a long life ahead of it.

I wouldn't call the N64 or GameCube wildly successful but yes the Wii U will continue to be supported until their next platform. The point I am making is simply the loss of marketshare over generations.

I loved the N64.

I wouldn't call the N64 or GameCube wildly successful but yes the Wii U will continue to be supported until their next platform. The point I am making is simply the loss of marketshare over generations.

I loved the N64.

Not "successful' in that they sold a bajillions consoles but people look back on those consoles with great fondness. Lots of highly regarded games. I call that success.

I still love the N64. ;)

Not "successful' in that they sold a bajillions consoles but people look back on those consoles with great fondness. Lots of highly regarded games. I call that success.

I still love the N64. ;)

You simply couldn't beat MK 64, goldeneye, and WCW vs NWO.

You simply couldn't beat MK 64, goldeneye, and WCW vs NWO.

Why does everyone forget perfect dark?! I know its not the greatest but for split screen killing i much preferred perfect dark to goldeneye.

Why does everyone forget perfect dark?! I know its not the greatest but for split screen killing i much preferred perfect dark to goldeneye.

it was an ugly slow mess of a game....like goldeneye but slower, chunkier, and less playable.

Came out too late. People had moved on to newer consoles at that point.

Yeah, that's what happened to me with Perfect Dark. Plus, didn't it require that memory expansion thing? Didn't get one of those until WAY later.

it was an ugly slow mess of a game....like goldeneye but slower, chunkier, and less playable.

to me it was more evolutionary. Golldeneye came out and nothing like it before on console. whereas when perfect dark came out, you already had a few shooters out.

know what you can't beat...MK8.

To rephrase: You couldn't beat MK64 Battle Mode.

And frankly, I'm not sure if it beat out Blast Chamber for overall laughs and enjoyment. It has not aged well at all but someone should kickstart a new game based off the idea.

Wii U is still not done..next year?

Dead is not the same as done, I doubt it dies next year but probably the following year they will move on.

Seeing the new sales of Xbox One following the price drop and Amazon rankings has me believing the Wii U might overtake it in June sales which would be hilarious. If they fail to ship over 100k it probably has more to do with supply more than it does with demand.

They needed more shipments of the MK8 bundle. Apparently they did not ship enough units.

They needed more shipments of the MK8 bundle. Apparently they did not ship enough units.

"Apparently" "not… enough"

What are you even talking about? Apparent to whom, and what qualifies as "enough"?

You've moved more goalposts than Art Modell.

"Apparently" "not… enough"

What are you even talking about? Apparent to whom, and what qualifies as "enough"?

You've moved more goalposts than Art Modell.

?? I was giving the system praise wtf are you talking about?

Several people who work in retail have already stated that the MK8 bundles sold fast but they never got much in the way of more shipments after that.

Target specifically, they still have tons of normal units that aren't selling but the MK8 bundles sold like hot cakes.

And what goal posts? No one in this entire thread has ever been able to respond with anything other than "your bias" or "it's not done".

So what goal posts, Terp please be the first one to show me these goal posts. By your reasoned response it seems as if you believe I am justifying the sold out MK8 bundles with them not being in stores ATM as opposed to them continuously selling out.

That's not the case at all. I'm actually saying that whatever the NPD may be for June it's going to be lower than what it could have been. If they sell over 100k it could have been higher or of they sale 75k again it could have been higher.

If they sale more than MS it would be hilarious because of that. MS doesn't have that issue, their platform is everywhere.

Last edited:
Dead is not the same as done, I doubt it dies next year but probably the following year they will move on.

Seeing the new sales of Xbox One following the price drop and Amazon rankings has me believing the Wii U might overtake it in June sales which would be hilarious. If they fail to ship over 100k it probably has more to do with supply more than it does with demand.

I'll be sure to revisit your post here in 2016 after E3. I expect the results will be similar to various other predictions of death in the the previous two years.

I'll be sure to revisit your post here in 2016 after E3. I expect the results will be similar to various other predictions of death in the the previous two years.

Read the first sentance again, I have whole heartedly agree that Nintendo will continue to support the Wii U with their own titles. I say 2016 because for one, PS4 level hardware should cost 299 or less. It fits with AMDs roadmap for a possible 3DS successor (rumors floating about already), and it gives Nintendo 4 full years with the Wii U and over 5 with the 3DS. Nintendo is probably going to go with an x86 AMD SoC design like everyone else and it will probably be around current gen levels in terms of power. It could be less but it will definately be in the same family/class. If it's not then I promise you we will have another "ROFL NINTENDOS CONSOLE IS DONE" thread and their bank account will continue to bleed.

They have a relatively solid idea and the thought of bringing a platform to market that caters to the home and on the go sounds promising. But by now they know their mistakes, they just have to capitilize on their IP and adjust their mentality to better serve the consumer.

Again, done is not dead. Not in the original OP and most certainly not from me. It's already done by the OPs standards. The same can be said for the Vita, it's not dead but it's certainly done by every imaginable metric. Poor sales, No third party support, etc. etc.

Again, this thread is more about semantics than anything actually relevant. The thread may as well be called The Wii U is Purple.

Again, this thread is more about semantics than anything actually relevant. The thread may as well be called The Wii U is Purple.
I would break from work and buy a WiiU right now if there was a purple version. Seriously, enough with the black and white all the time :D.

Crave November NPD Update

Nintendo is in Rough Shape

Looking at the first-party software of all three current-gen consoles, the Wii U undoubtedly earned a top podium finish in 2014. Whether it be Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, or Super Smash Bros for Wii U, the Wii U has software, and it’s outstanding.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U was arguably the best game of the entire year, and it debuted right in the middle of November, the perfect time for a console push during the holiday season. Sadly, the game would sell fewer than 800,000 units during the month, and wouldn’t do much to push Wii U consoles. It is estimated that the Wii U sold around 200,000 to 225,000 units. That’s colossally bad.

WiiU
The Wii U isn’t headed to Gamecube numbers (20 million~ lifetime), it’s headed to Dreamcast numbers (10.6 million~ lifetime. That’s sad when you consider how great the system’s games are, but it’s a sign that Nintendo is behind the times when it comes to execution.

Made worse, the 3DS sold 200,000 fewer units than it did during November of last year. This, combined with the horrifically bad PS Vita sales, point to handheld gaming quickly fading into obscurity everywhere but in Japan. Handhelds are where Nintendo has earned the bulk of its income over the years, making this a serious problem.

Amiibos may provide a nice boost for the next year, but Nintendo is going to need a lot more than that to stay healthy heading into the immensely competitive future.

So I wanted to touch base with this thread prior to December sales numbers coming out here in a week or two.

Super Smash Brawl and Bayo 2 released to rave reviews and along with Mario Kart 8 all three will likely win GOTY awards in their respective categories in more than a few media outlets. All three titles however failed to do anything for hardware sales.

Over these last few years this thread has seen many a debate and ample discussion on what it means to be done.

I think it's finally time after blockbuster after blockbuster game releases featuring:

Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Brawl
Zelda Wind Waker

And many other highly rated titles to say that the Wii U is done.

Nintendo has thrown everything they have at the system and its library is exceptional, but it's still not moving units.

It's been a fun ride, and I have yet to pick up a Wii U (can't find one for 150 yet) but when I do I'll have a very solid library of titles. Hopefully I can get the major Nintendo titles and a Wii U for 250 bucks by next Summer.

With Black Friday past us and no initiative from Nintendo to move consoles during the busiest season even they know it's a lost cause. I'd imagine without a real online presence and third party support to negate a BF sale they couldn't see the benefit of just losing money.

On a positive note they do seem to be in the early process of designing the next Nintendo console. Word is that it's probably an AMD APU (no surprise there) and talk of ARM has been mentioned as well which could be for a new handheld.

I would think a 2016 announcement with Xbox One power at 199.99 in a Wii U size box seems likely.

I would think a 2016 announcement with Xbox One power at 199.99 in a Wii U size box seems likely.

Don't see it happening. I can't see them making the same mistake twice.. I see a late 2017 early 2018 release for the next Nintendo console. Will take about a year to finalize the hardware, and a year to finalize an SDK. It's been well documented that Nintendo had the Wii U hardware ready early on but the development tools, drivers, and software to run it was in shambles up to launch day. That day one patch on release wasn't patches, it was essentially completing the consoles backbone both driver and network wise.

I love my Wii U though.. The line up is great, the console is speedy enough now and the games are actually fun. I own 12 physical copies of games and about 10 eShop downloads..

Hopefully I can get the major Nintendo titles and a Wii U for 250 bucks by next Summer.

Not going to happen. Nintendo games hold value for too damn long. You can probably score a system and a few games for that much used by then but you wont be getting your whole wish and damn sure not new.

Not going to happen. Nintendo games hold value for too damn long. You can probably score a system and a few games for that much used by then but you wont be getting your whole wish and damn sure not new.

Yea I'm talking pre owned for everything and nothing from GameStop. Preferably craigslist or somewhere online affiliated with Heatware. I'd never buy anything dealing with the Wii U new.

Don't see it happening. I can't see them making the same mistake twice.. I see a late 2017 early 2018 release for the next Nintendo console. Will take about a year to finalize the hardware, and a year to finalize an SDK. It's been well documented that Nintendo had the Wii U hardware ready early on but the development tools, drivers, and software to run it was in shambles up to launch day. That day one patch on release wasn't patches, it was essentially completing the consoles backbone both driver and network wise.

I love my Wii U though.. The line up is great, the console is speedy enough now and the games are actually fun. I own 12 physical copies of games and about 10 eShop downloads..

They will make the same mistake, it's classic Nintendo. Denial over where they really stand in the market wondering why they keep losing more and more market share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back