The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
MK8 is a great game, still doesn't change that the Wii U is struggling.

How do you take a post about sales improvements and then turn it into a discussion on past performance? The point is that sales are going up. That is not "still struggling", that is "getting better". If sales drop back down, then you can resume using the adjective "struggling".

lol im pretty sure nobody listens to you period on these boards. You have 2 seperate threads with people talking about you in the exact same manner, its hilarious how blind you are to patterns, and yet you think your market "analysis" is so top notch. Every single thing you say can be quoted in the exact same way from gaf. Every single one of your posts is nothing but a collection of posts on other sites, you provide 0 analysis just reuse the piss that shows up on other boards

And not once has anyone been able to prove otherwise Vlad.

Like I have mentioned elsewhere I'll likely pick up a Wii U on the cheap but nothing can change the fact that the Wii U is in dire straights. There were many of us who called it out over a year and a half ago to the T and still folks question it's place in the market which is a distant 3rd, almost zero third party support, and acknowledgement from Iwata himself.

Very much this. It's like people who are political "experts" that do nothing but regurgitate what they hear on MSNBC or FOX News. No analysis. Just a blend of plagiarism, pessimism, and conjecture.

Nintendo and the Wii U are doing just fine. I love mine. Picking up Mario Kart tomorrow morning and having a little MK/GoT finale gathering tomorrow night. :D

Yea it's not doing fine, there is a significant difference between political siding and undeniable facts. I'm glad you like yours, I really am and I hope you enjoy it but you have to be realistic and realize it will be the worst selling console in Nintendo history other than the Virtual Boy.

I know you have seen the posts covering Nintendo console sales over the past 6 generations. They have continuously lost market share every time other than the Wii which is the outlier. It was the right gimmick at the right time and sold gangbusters.

Until Nintendo realizes the realities of the market and third party relations their next console will be the next platform that sells less than it's predecessor.

How do you take a post about sales improvements and then turn it into a discussion on past performance? The point is that sales are going up. That is not "still struggling", that is "getting better". If sales drop back down, then you can resume using the adjective "struggling".

That's like saying a cancer patient that's terminal is feeling better for a few days so everything's fine.

And not once has anyone been able to prove otherwise Vlad.

Like I have mentioned elsewhere I'll likely pick up a Wii U on the cheap but nothing can change the fact that the Wii U is in dire straights. There were many of us who called it out over a year and a half ago to the T and still folks question it's place in the market which is a distant 3rd, almost zero third party support, and acknowledgement from Iwata himself.

What exactly does "dire straights" mean? Second in market share, behind the PS4, ahead of the XBONE. Iwata acknowledged the Wii U wasn't in "good shape" and followed that with a statement about considering changes. The positive buzz for the Wii U grows with each new successful game release and it will continue to do so as people finally begin to look past the hardware specs and focus on games. I still see people in this forum recommending the PS4 over the XBONE because "the hardware is better" and it makes me ill. The answer should always be "what games interest you?". People just don't think and surrender themselves to marketing hype which is why the PS4 exploded onto the market with a pretty weak batch of release titles.

Yea it's not doing fine, there is a significant difference between political siding and undeniable facts. I'm glad you like yours, I really am and I hope you enjoy it but you have to be realistic and realize it will be the worst selling console in Nintendo history other than the Virtual Boy.

I know you have seen the posts covering Nintendo console sales over the past 6 generations. They have continuously lost market share every time other than the Wii which is the outlier. It was the right gimmick at the right time and sold gangbusters.

Until Nintendo realizes the realities of the market and third party relations their next console will be the next platform that sells less than it's predecessor.

See what I wrote above. Iwata's acknowledgement. They know they need some reforms. They'll get there. By all accounts they had a successful E3. Mario Kart 8 is a big hit and creating a lot of positive momentum. Again, I don't know what you mean when you say "dire straights".

What exactly does "dire straights" mean? Second in market share, behind the PS4, ahead of the XBONE. Iwata acknowledged the Wii U wasn't in "good shape" and followed that with a statement about considering changes. The positive buzz for the Wii U grows with each new successful game release and it will continue to do so as people finally begin to look past the hardware specs and focus on games. I still see people in this forum recommending the PS4 over the XBONE because "the hardware is better" and it makes me ill. The answer should always be "what games interest you?". People just don't think and surrender themselves to marketing hype which is why the PS4 exploded onto the market with a pretty weak batch of release titles.

See what I wrote above. Iwata's acknowledgement. They know they need some reforms. They'll get there. By all accounts they had a successful E3. Mario Kart 8 is a big hit and creating a lot of positive momentum. Again, I don't know what you mean when you say "dire straights".

In dire straights is just fancy term for bad situation. Ive heard thats also how/why the good band got its name.

The next couple months will be interesting to see if nintendo can hold onto the lead over xbone or not.. MS seem to have their act back together has couple decent games coming up to match Wii-U. In the end, im hoping all three systems have solid sales.

In dire straights is just fancy term for bad situation. Ive heard thats also how/why the good band got its name.

The next couple months will be interesting to see if nintendo can hold onto the lead over xbone or not.. MS seem to have their act back together has couple decent games coming up to match Wii-U. In the end, im hoping all three systems have solid sales.

I know what it means. I'm asking what he means, specifically, as far as the Wii U goes.

I think they won E3 tbh, dire straights is a term given to the Wii U and not Nintendo. It means exactly what I said it means.

Distant third
Almost no third party support
Worst selling Nintendo platform sans the Virtual Boy

Can they still profit off the Wii U? Sure. Is Nintendo in a situation where they could go bankrupt? Absolutely not. That's not changing the Wii Us position.

They are 2nd in the market with a year head start, and their sales have historically only seen bumps during major Nintendo releases. Notice I said bumps and not sustained sales.

In order to match the PS4 or to a lesser extent the Xbox One they have to effectively triple their weekly sales and sustain it. When you look at future roadmaps of upcoming titles the PS4 and One have literally quadruple the amount of titles in development and being released in the next few years.

What that means is there is nothing there to sustain. It'll drop again like it always has. MK8 could be the GOTY, it's an awesome title, but they need those types of releases quarterly or even monthly and that's not happening.

If we compare the PS4/One to the Wii U based on time in market it looks bad. It's in the same league as the Sega Dreamcast.

Ars: Wii U sees rare negative sales trend in second holiday season

holiday-npd-change-updateder.png

Image from ArsTechnica.

Last edited:
Well you can start talking dire straights when Nintendo has to sell off their company to another. Right now Sony is rumored to be looking at buyers for their playstation division to help stay afloat. Really don't see Sony turning this ship around anytime soon regardless of how well the PS4 is doing. Right now the Wii U is the funnest console for me, my family, and my friends, the X1 the runner up, and the PS4 continues to collect dust because the PS3 does everything the PS4 does and does it better.

Well you can start talking dire straights when Nintendo has to sell off their company to another. Right now Sony is rumored to be looking at buyers for their playstation division to help stay afloat. Really don't see Sony turning this ship around anytime soon regardless of how well the PS4 is doing. Right now the Wii U is the funnest console for me, my family, and my friends, the X1 the runner up, and the PS4 continues to collect dust because the PS3 does everything the PS4 does and does it better.

Source on those rumors saying Sony is looking to sell off one of their best divisions?

lol Sony is not looking to sell off the Playstation division, that is one of their divisions that is actually making profit. Amazes me when people just spout crap out of their ass.

As for the Wii U. The system is in a shitty position but after this E3, I've seen a lot more positive talk about the system from many places towards it now. Nintendo will support it for a few years till they move on and that will make people happy to see they wont abandon their system and move on to the next, it instills buyer confidence and people will be open to purchasing their next system since they know Nintendo will support it. If you want to see the opposite effect of this look at Sega, by the time the Dreamcast came out (which was an awesome system) most people were so leery of Sega dropping support for their products that it hardly sold (there were also other factors at play but this was one of the bigger ones I'd say).

Nintendo can turn this around and get it to Gamecube level at least though, they have a nice handful of titles coming out this fall and next year if things come out as they said they will have some nice titles as well. In the end, there will be enough exclusive titles to the system to justify owning it easily. The only real catch with the Wii U is, it is literally the perfect secondary console to own since you'll probably just want Nintendo titles and they space them out release wise so you are never overwhelmed normally but you'll do the majority of your gaming on another platform.

I doubt they'll sell the playstation division, like I said just rumors here and there that pop up. I had a marketing exec that swore up and down Apple and Samsung were going pretty hard after it but that was over a year ago and I'm sure something would have manifested if there was anything remotely true to it.

However, Sony is spiraling and it isn't getting any better. The only positive thing that they have is the playstation so I wonder how long Sony will keep the other dead weight around.

I doubt they'll sell the playstation division, like I said just rumors here and there that pop up. I had a marketing exec that swore up and down Apple and Samsung were going pretty hard after it but that was over a year ago and I'm sure something would have manifested if there was anything remotely true to it.

However, Sony is spiraling and it isn't getting any better. The only positive thing that they have is the playstation so I wonder how long Sony will keep the other dead weight around.

The rumors about Sony's Playstation division being sold probably got mixed together with Sony selling their VAIO PC business and them splitting their TV business into a separate company. http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/06/sony-sells-vaio/

The Playstation probably got mixed in there because of the dire financial situation Sony appeared to be in at the time. Rumors are less true and crazy the longer they travel from mouth to mouth. Just look at Jesus.

I think they won E3 tbh, dire straights is a term given to the Wii U and not Nintendo. It means exactly what I said it means.

Distant third
Almost no third party support
Worst selling Nintendo platform sans the Virtual Boy

Can they still profit off the Wii U? Sure. Is Nintendo in a situation where they could go bankrupt? Absolutely not. That's not changing the Wii Us position.

They are 2nd in the market with a year head start, and their sales have historically only seen bumps during major Nintendo releases. Notice I said bumps and not sustained sales.

In order to match the PS4 or to a lesser extent the Xbox One they have to effectively triple their weekly sales and sustain it. When you look at future roadmaps of upcoming titles the PS4 and One have literally quadruple the amount of titles in development and being released in the next few years.

What that means is there is nothing there to sustain. It'll drop again like it always has. MK8 could be the GOTY, it's an awesome title, but they need those types of releases quarterly or even monthly and that's not happening.

If we compare the PS4/One to the Wii U based on time in market it looks bad. It's in the same league as the Sega Dreamcast.

Ars: Wii U sees rare negative sales trend in second holiday season

holiday-npd-change-updateder.png

Image from ArsTechnica.

XBOX 360 finished third last gen. Came out about a year before the Wii and PS3, didn't it? That console was really hurting. Dire straights indeed. :rolleyes:

You just gotta think about it differently. The Wii U isn't a console, it's just a membership fee you pay to play Nintendo games, like Costco. :D

The only thing the PS3 does better is media because PS4 doesnt really do any streaming and playback outside of the blu-ray. I mean the controller is better, game downloads and install are better, everything is more responsive, graphics and multiplayer is massively better. For me last gen Wii only ever saw use when family came over, only one person I know has a Wii U lol and everyone else has a PS4 or X1. I just dont see anything I really want to play myself outside of Zelda and maybe starfox. But PS4 and X1 arent faring any better right now. But the future looks better for them.

Exactly my point. The PS3 has a better game library and way more media tools than the PS4. The PS4 has...well the PS4 has better looks. I do all my MP gaming on the PC and the PS4 doesn't come close to that for graphics or multiplayer.

Right now the Wii U has the funner library for gaming with friends and family, the X1 has a library that I enjoy and find funner than that of the PS4. I'm really looking forward to the end of the year as both the X1 and PS4 will have a larger library of games that I'll enjoy but right now I just find the PS4 a pretty blu ray player.

After hating on the Wii-U since launch I just bought one myself. Nintendo won me over at E3. I don't have a PS4 yet but that will be my next purchase (once a bit more games come out)

One of the main reasons I bought the U is because it allows the GF and I to play together. She likes to watch me play games but most of the games that I play on the PC are too hardcore for her. She really likes Mario (but hates Mario Kart for some reason, haha). She also loves Zelda so she's excited about the playing through WindWalker HD and then the new Zelda when it comes out.

Does anyone have global sales numbers for May? It wouldn't surprise me if the Wii U beat the Xbone last month.

Next jin needs a hobby

I build racing law mowers in my spare time and restore classics like the 76 Sears SS/18 tractor. I feel working on old machines takes the pressures off of online debate and technology in general.

Does anyone have global sales numbers for May? It wouldn't surprise me if the Wii U beat the Xbone last month.

Roughly: (be subjective with these numbers btw)

For a final-esque summary

-----------------------------
Hardware Monthly Sales
PS4 ~ 197k
3DS ~ 97k
XB1 ~ 77k
Wii U ~ 61k
360 ~ 57k
PSV ~ 56k
PS3 ~ 36k
Wii ~ 11k
Hardware US LTD's as of May 31st, 2014
PS4 ~ 3308k
XB1 ~ 2741k
WIU ~ 2408k
Tie Ratios through May 2014

XB1 ~ 3.18
PS4 ~ 2.62
Mario Kart 8 ~ 377k, 6.6% from bundles
Watch Dogs Sales Breakdown

PS4 ~ 46% -> ~ 575k
XB1 ~ 29% -> ~ 362.5k
360 ~ 14% -> ~ 175k
PS3 ~ 11% -> ~ 137.5k

Total > 1.25M
Minecraft PS3 89k
Wolfenstein New Order

PS4 ~ 41%
XB1 ~ 38%
360 ~ 13%
PS3 ~ 8%
BL2 Vita Standalone ~27k
LTD's

DKC: Tropical Freeze [WiU] 258k
Lightening Returns FF [PS3] 135k [360] 71k
PVZ: Garden Warfare [XB1] 257k [360] 150k
FF10HD [PS3] 259k [Vita] ~75k
South Park SoT [360] 279k [PS3] 228k
Titanfall [XB1] 969k [360] 559k Note: Does not include bundled sales
Dark Souls 2 [360] 212k [PS3] 209k
Infamous SS [PS4] 617k
MGSV: Ground Zeroes [Total] 357k [PS4] >179k
SM3DW [WiU] ~770k

Bravely Default [3DS] ~258k
Yoshi's New Island [3DS] ~256k
Kirby Triple Deluxe [3DS] ~138k

Via swift death at neoGAF

Wii U got close but even with its gains it still failed to match the Xbox Ones lows. June should be more interesting with MK8 and the drop to 399 for the One.

Hopefully after the results are in folks will stop seriously saying the Wii U is fine and understand it's position for the remainder of its shelf life.

Wii U got close but even with its gains it still failed to match the Xbox Ones lows. June should be more interesting with MK8 and the drop to 399 for the One.

Hopefully after the results are in folks will stop seriously saying the Wii U is fine and understand it's position for the remainder of its shelf life.

You see, its junk statements like this that make me think your an idiot!

Nintendo never had any projections of beating M$ or $ony in sales, there projections have always been lower than both companies. So WHY in your right mind would lower than M$ or $ony sales make you think Nintendo will have a terrible shelf life. They never said their intentions of selling more than others.

They are a niche, they know this, they want a console in family hands and have always admitted they are not for the hardcore gamer.

In the end, Nintendo will make their money, they always do and everything will be fine!

I think word of mouth will start spreading Wii-U's like wildfire after MK8. Everyone I've mentioned it too/shown, has asked: "so this is on the.. wait.. new nintendo thing? Wii what?"

Then they start talking about budgeting one in asap. :D

IE, They never realized there was even a new nintendo system out, let alone a full backwards compatible HD system with a killer touchpad controller :p

Said it once, say it again: The touchpad controller is whats killing the Wii-U, imo.

It should have been an optional component (to allow parents to use their TV and let kids stay on their games); but is instead required, only used as a gimmick (just like wii-waggle), and adds ~$100 to the cost of the system vs a standard controller.

There is room for two types of consoles on the market, but not at the same price point. The Wii-U should be the family/kids console, priced at $200, with a small but great library. Its got 2 of 3.

Everywhere I looks I see that the Kart sold 1.2 million the opening weekend....where are you getting this 377k number?

Even if Nintendo didn't launch MK8 which exploded wii-u sales, which it did, Nintendo would still be fine.

For me and many others its as simple as this

PS4:
Apotheon
Bloodborne

Xbox1:
none

Wii - u:
MK8
Zelda
Fire Emblem x smt
Mario Maker
Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Xenoblade

Its the ideology behind it not the specifics.

Anyone who buys a console for anything other then it having the games they want to play on it is a fool.

For me and many others the Wii-u either currently has or will have a library worthy of a purchase. Wii-u is even more appealing to those who own a gaming PC because many of the XBOX and PS4 games come out on that (Titanfall and watchdogs) while virtually none of the wii-u games do.

so no you didn't fix shit.

Anyone who buys a console for anything other then it having the games they want to play on it is a fool.

For me and many others the Wii-u either currently has or will have a library worthy of a purchase. Wii-u is even more appealing to those who own a gaming PC because many of the XBOX and PS4 games come out on that (Titanfall and watchdogs) while virtually none of the wii-u games do.

This.

I currently have a Wii-U and I'm glad I have it over a ps4 and xbox one. My PC plays (at better performance and higher settings) most of what I would be playing on the xbox one and ps4.

Yep, PC+WiiU is a perfect combination, with the widest range of game types. If you don't game on a PC, then one of the other consoles makes a lot of sense. However, anyone with a PC that won't buy more than one console should get a WiiU. This is just my opinion, but one has to admit, it makes some degree of sense. Everyone is free to do their own thing though of course.

For me [strike=]and many others[/s] the Wii-u either currently has or will have a library worthy of a purchase. Wii-u is even more appealing to those who own a gaming PC because many of the XBOX and PS4 games come out on that (Titanfall and watchdogs) while virtually none of the wii-u games do.

FTFY again. It's your opinion. Just like this is mine. You're in a thread named "The Wii U is done" if you and the "many" other Wii U whiteknights were real the Wii U would be selling much better compared to the PS4/XB1. By your same logic anyone buying a cell phone other than to make calls is a fool. I own a PS4/Xb1/2yr old pc and plan on picking up a Wii U late next year.

FTFY again. It's your opinion. Just like this is mine. You're in a thread named "The Wii U is done" if you and the "many" other Wii U whiteknights were real the Wii U would be selling much better compared to the PS4/XB1. By your same logic anyone buying a cell phone other than to make calls is a fool. I own a PS4/Xb1/2yr old pc and plan on picking up a Wii U late next year.

The Wii U is outselling the Xbox One right now, and also beat it at Christmas.

The PS4 is outselling both, and holds roughly a 1 million unit lead over the Wii U, though now the Wii U is experiencing a four times sell rate.

It's starting to look as if the Wii U is following the sales chart of the DS and 3DS; slow starts, ramps up after roughly a year once the library starts filling out.

The Wii U is outselling the Xbox One right now, and also beat it at Christmas.

The PS4 is outselling both, and holds roughly a 1 million unit lead over the Wii U, though now the Wii U is experiencing a four times sell rate.

It's starting to look as if the Wii U is following the sales chart of the DS and 3DS; slow starts, ramps up after roughly a year once the library starts filling out.

The first two links source VGChartz (you should never source them), you're under the assumption that the Wii U is a heavyweight this generation and it will see a 3DS turn around.

Let me remind you that similar things happened when the Zelda bundle released, SMW3D released and to a lesser extent Donkey Kong TF released.

Every time the Wii U saw a bump and it dropped soon after. You should never say it's a competitor when we have not seen a sustained increase in sales. A bump in sales makes little difference over the course of the fiscal year. The Xbox One is not going to be outsold by the Wii U by any stretch of the imagination.

It was not long ago we had threads/posts where folks much like yourself now were saying the 666% increase in Wii U sales was a turning point. The following months it sold poorly.

The 3DS turn around simply won't happen, the development time and costs don't support it and it's market segment was only competing with the Vita which is dead in the West. The PS4 and One are heavyweights globally (or at least the PS4 is).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back