The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo has been on both sides of the "mature content" line.

There was a big uproar in the SNES days over Mortal Kombat. Nintendo didn't allow blood in their games, and Sega did, and I'm sure that cost the big N some users. However, they've since gone to different extremes... anyone that played Conker's Bad Fur Day can attest that it was indeed a mature title. You had to throw toilet paper at a big shit monster that was singing opera.

As far as I know, they've been relaxed their content restrictions considerably...

Relaxing restrictions is pointless when majority of your audience is after colorfull all age platformers

Apologist alert. You severely underestimate Sonys financial trouble. They have laid off developers, sold infrastructure, sold entire departments. Their credit rating is now junk status. What divisions of theirs are even profitable right now? The Mobile handset turns a profit but a small one. Their Music and Movie departments have been flatlining for some time now. The quality of their products has dropped significantly, Their TVs went in a downward spiral in quality 5 years ago. Nintendo on the other hand has a surplus, and a HUGE one to live the wii u lifecycle out.

I don't underestimate anything, I've said Sony has been in a world of hurt for awhile now going back almost 2 years. I have also said they have been going through a ton of restructuring and getting their base back (Playstation).

Some people just assume that tomorrow Sony will go bankrupt and everything they sell including Playstation hardware/software will immediately stop being made and all support ends.

That won't happen, and with Nintendo yet again I have called everything pretty accurately. I said they have a ton of cash and will probably release another console. The Wii U is done, and there is nothing you or anyone else can say to get a divert off in this thread.

If Nintendo bought the PS brand and assets, that would be interesting, but as pointed out earlier, they would most likely not produce or allow onto the system many, if any, mature rated games.

Considering nintendo wont even allow GTA on their system, imagine what they would do to twisted metal, god of war and other mature games. As much as i like nintendo, that wouldnt be good.

You guys say that but you realize that Bayonetta 2 is in development solely on the Wii-U? That's a mature rated title with lots of gore and a "hyper-sexualized" female lead? Nintendo made that happen. Lest you also forget that Conkers Bad Fur Day and RE4 debuted on Nintendo consoles along with Eternal Darkness. They aren't as un-m-rated as you guys think.

No. It isn't.

Sales statistics, release roadmaps, earnings, all analysts and the CEO's statement say otherwise. It's done, it will not sale more than the Gamecube and probably not even reach 15 million, it will see an abysmal year in sales and releases, and will likely be thrown out a few years early to move on to something else.

If you like some of the few games on the platform that's awesome. I enjoyed AvP, Katsumi Ninja and Tempest on the Atari Jaguar but it is what it is.

I'd define done as no more games being released. The Wii U is far from done.

It may not be a mass market smash like the Wii or PS360 but those were driven by garbage mass appeal games anyway.

The Jaguar sold <250k :confused:

But hey, I hear resogun is pretty sweet. Anyway, off to play some Super Mario 3d World.

Last edited:
I am really considering picking up a wii-u.
What is the best deal going on one right now? Is it worth it to look at getting a used one?
The deluxe wind waker hd bundle for $300 seems like a good deal to me.

I have a Wii U. I like it. It's time for the rest of you Nintendo fanboys to admit that this system is a relative dud.

It's really underpowered. The tablet thing is just a stupid gimmick in the peak of the tablet craze. Nintendo still seems hellbent against anything to do with online multiplayer in their games and only grudgingly gives in here and there for it.

Nintendo has been way, way too slow to release their major titles.

Third party devs are still largely nowhere to be seen.

That being said I am very much looking forward for a non-rehashed Zelda and other 1st party titles. It's the reason I bought the system.

I am really considering picking up a wii-u.
What is the best deal going on one right now? Is it worth it to look at getting a used one?
The deluxe wind waker hd bundle for $300 seems like a good deal to me.

The Wind Waker bundle isn't a bad deal if you don't mind that the game is download and not packed in with the console. I opted for the Mario bundle (which includes the actual packaged game) and bought Zelda separately because it was cheaper. Of course, if you're not interested in NSMBU, then that won't work for you. :)

Sales statistics, release roadmaps, earnings, all analysts and the CEO's statement say otherwise. It's done, it will not sale more than the Gamecube and probably not even reach 15 million, it will see an abysmal year in sales and releases, and will likely be thrown out a few years early to move on to something else.

If you like some of the few games on the platform that's awesome. I enjoyed AvP, Katsumi Ninja and Tempest on the Atari Jaguar but it is what it is.

Struggling is not done. When Nintendo pulls the plug on the platform, then it's done. Not before then, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks. Jaguar metaphors are not relevant.

I have a Wii U. I like it. It's time for the rest of you Nintendo fanboys to admit that this system is a relative dud.

I'm a gaming fanboy. The only platform that gives me heartburn is XBox and that's just a prejudice based on the fact that I have to deal with Microsoft's nonsense at my day job. Having said that, I owned an original XBox, several 360s, and would not rule out buying an XB1 if I can get one at somepoint without being forced to buy a Kinect.

If by "relative dud" you mean not selling as many units as the competitors, sure. But the games Nintendo has actually managed to get to market are, IMHO, pretty darned good.

It's really underpowered. The tablet thing is just a stupid gimmick in the peak of the tablet craze. Nintendo still seems hellbent against anything to do with online multiplayer in their games and only grudgingly gives in here and there for it.

Under-powered for what? Games look and play fine on it.

It's a controller with a large touch-screen. Works great with a number of games. Spare me this cynical "stupid gimmick" bullshit. If Sony had done it, sales on stretch mark cream would be skyrocketing around the world. :rolleyes:

Most people I know that are excited about online multiplayer are already wedded to Microsoft. Do we need a THIRD platform offering the same shit?

Yes. Way too many lulls between releases. Third party support is a train wreck.

That being said I am very much looking forward for a non-rehashed Zelda and other 1st party titles. It's the reason I bought the system.

Also agreed.

oh, you mean underpowered as in XB1? OK got it

Nintendo has repeatedly said that they are NOT INTERESTED in raw power and instead focusing on gameplay. The Wii U delivers in spades.

Nintendo does not cater to adult content gaming, they are family oriented and this is why I buy them.

I know my purchases have helped Nintendo as I have a Wii U and the following games

Super Mario Brothers Wii U
Super Luigi U (Love that old school Nintendo hard stuff)
Super Mario 3D world
Lego City Undercover
Lego The Movie
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Mass Effect 3
Tekken Tournament 2
Rayman Legends
Zelda Windwaker
Wii Fit U
Rabbids Land
Wii Party U
Nintendo Land (pack in game)

On Pre-order
Super Smash Brothers Wii U
Mario Kart 8
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2

so in the first 14 months that the Wii U has been available, Nintendo has at least 13 first party titles for the system and most of them run at a solid 60fps

Last edited:
The Wind Waker bundle isn't a bad deal if you don't mind that the game is download and not packed in with the console. I opted for the Mario bundle (which includes the actual packaged game) and bought Zelda separately because it was cheaper. Of course, if you're not interested in NSMBU, then that won't work for you. :)

Thanks!
Yea i didnt realize it didnt include the physical game which is a bummer, but it looks so cool. :-P
I will probably just go with the regular mario bundle then i think. Unless something convinces me otherwise.
I will be buying all of the classic first party games anyway.
Now the question is do i buy now or wait and see if price drops..

Thanks!
Yea i didnt realize it didnt include the physical game which is a bummer, but it looks so cool. :-P
I will probably just go with the regular mario bundle then i think. Unless something convinces me otherwise.
I will be buying all of the classic first party games anyway.
Now the question is do i buy now or wait and see if price drops..

Well do you want to play now or wait around to see if you can save $50 or maybe $100? I bought mine the Sunday prior to Christmas at Best Buy. $299 got me the NSMBU bundle, Just Dance 2014 (which my wife plays) and a $25 gift card. Seemed like a good deal. Doubtful you'll see anything like that before the holidays.

really?

you said it was under powered, really compared to what? the Xbox1 and PS4? Well thank you captain obvious....

It does not sell like the Wii? that has been beat to death (we all know Nintendo screwed themselves on not advertising the system)

too slow in title releases? WTF seriously? did you not see the list I posted of the games I own and will soon own? out of that list 11 are first party titles plus there are several more not listed. that works out to on average 1 title a month Exactly where are MS and Sony on their release schedule? yeah, thought so...

The only real point you might have is lack of 3rd party support but then again, maybe not as most of those games are available on PC for a LOT less....

not enough games you say? The Wii U has BY FAR the largest software library as it can play all Wii games, Wii virtual console games, plus it's own games

Need I go on?

lack of games? Oh, rly? it had more launch titles than the previous consoles and the current ones lol

I am sure you never played a game on one.....

Nintendo buying Playstation would never happen, however in the highly hypothetical situation that it would happen, even Nintendo would not be so stupid as to say "We will not allow mature rated games onto the Playstation consoles now that we own Playstation." Quite a stupid comment btw. I mean, even Nintendo has had Mature titles on all their consoles as far back as I can remember... so why would you even think to say that Nintendo wouldn't allow Mature rated games onto Playstation if they hypothetically bought it? Makes no sense at all as to how you came to that guess.

because in the hypethetical situation, they wouldnt hypothetically have two systems going. So more then likely nintendo will fall back on what they do and that is for the most part less "mature" then sony.

You guys say that but you realize that Bayonetta 2 is in development solely on the Wii-U? That's a mature rated title with lots of gore and a "hyper-sexualized" female lead? Nintendo made that happen. Lest you also forget that Conkers Bad Fur Day and RE4 debuted on Nintendo consoles along with Eternal Darkness. They aren't as un-m-rated as you guys think.

ok sooooo how many games is that over what 4 consoles? hell theres been more GTA games then all those combined.. While yes they do have some, their bread and butter and what they are known for is family friendly fun. I dont rule that they wont do sometimes a mature game if they believe the gameplay is there to cause for it, thus Eternal darkness and conkers bad fur.

Last edited:
Today's Nintendo Direct wasn't bad. Little Mac is in the new Smash, Mariokart out May 30th and some new trailers. Oh, and a shit load of eShop and 3DS games.

That game X looks freakin amazing, assuming it has online co-op. I know a game like that probably won't move Wii Us like Mariokart would, but damn if it plays as well as it looks people will be missing out.

FYI Jan 14 sales were up compared to Jan 13 sales

2013:
Week 1 - 23,339
Week 2 - 12,367
Week 3 - 9,272
Week 4 - 9,627
Week 5 - 11,949

2014:
Week 1 - 33,376
Week 2 - 24,255
Week 3 - 19,231
Week 4 - 18,533
Week 5 - 23,939

it is a small increase but it's still an increase :)

FYI Jan 14 sales were up compared to Jan 13 sales

2013:
Week 1 - 23,339
Week 2 - 12,367
Week 3 - 9,272
Week 4 - 9,627
Week 5 - 11,949

2014:
Week 1 - 33,376
Week 2 - 24,255
Week 3 - 19,231
Week 4 - 18,533
Week 5 - 23,939

it is a small increase but it's still an increase :)

Not bad after week 1. Other than that they were about double. Source is vgcharts?

NPD was out a little earlier for Jan, the Wii U actually saw a little movement so that's a positive. 3DS numbers were surprisingly low though.

IIRC PS4 was about 280k, and Xbox One was 140k (estimates).

Vita was horrible as always, software looks to be 5 out of 10 going to PS4, 2 for Xbox One (Ghosts and Lego) and TR is 2:1 in favor of the PS4 after only a few days of charting which is sad.

A rerelease shouldn't make top ten IMO with only a few days of tracking.

^ so the Xbox One has been out for 3 months and the Wii U is close to outselling it on a monthly basis? Maybe you should go post in the Xbox 1 is done thread about how the Wii U is almost catching up to it in sales.. talk about short lived hype lol

I wouldn't call the Xbox One lead up hype, they have to be thinking of something if Titanfall fails to push out some larger numbers though.

Wow, I can't believe you actually compared it to the Jaguar. I don't think people understand that the Wii U has already been way more successful and has a lot more respect than things like the Jaguar and the 32X, probably combined... hell, even the Vita has that much at least, and it might actually overtake the Wii U once all the PSP devs move over (if they haven't already). Either way, both will more than likely be more successful than both the TurboGrafx-16 effort (completely disregarding the PC Engine) and even the Dreamcast... that's a success by any metric.

Why do people care so much about "power" anyway, when what's important is what's being done with the power one has? Paying for a Wii U or a Vita is still paying for a quality product. The Wii U isn't even really supposed to go up against the PS4 and the Xbone the way people think it does (read: want it to), and the Vita is simply going to supplant the PSP and thus be a relative success (especially over in Japan, there was tons of DS/PSP back and forth with those devs).

All "third-party support" seems to mean is "port everything we have because we're creatively and financially bankrupt"... why do people want that so much? Nintendo gets it just fine; the only problem is on the end of those who don't care or even know about what Nintendo's offering. Why is the PS4 and the Xbone going to get "more attention" when a lot of that attention is from people who don't really care about Nintendo to begin? Does it really matter so much then anyway?

I can buy a Wii U solely for Super Mario 3D World and a Vita solely for TxK (if anyone thinks that's "third-party support", I question your business sense) and I'd be pretty happy, I can totally stop right there... but I don't even have to.

Console-centric MMO, huh? Not really an MMO, but why oh why wasn't PSO2 a console-based game, at least for a while? I guess all Sega ever cared about was Blue Burst. Maybe I should make that a Vita purchase as some kind of protest.

And yes, please keep in mind that real "third-party support" is probably going to be crappy ports of games on other consoles that probably have some kind of PC version anyway, because that's the only "third-party" anyone cares about. I'm not even talking about something like Dark Souls, yet it technically qualifies anyway, heh.

I wouldn't call the Xbox One lead up hype, they have to be thinking of something if Titanfall fails to push out some larger numbers though.

lolwalnut?

Xbox One out for 3 months and is on the verge of being outsold by the Wii U, yes I would call that short lived hype for Xbox One...

lolwalnut?

Xbox One out for 3 months and is on the verge of being outsold by the Wii U, yes I would call that short lived hype for Xbox One...

Your not getting an argument from me Yue, I'm just saying that from what I saw and have see since E3 is not hype.

sorry miss understood that one

Besides we should have a Sony is done thread... they are literally teetering on the edge of insolvency....

IMHO XBO was MS saying media box but they forgot that both the Wii U and PS4 are gaming machines that can also handle the majority of media duties as well for a whole lot less...

Edit:

Nintendo has fudged up by

a. not advertising what a Wii U is
b. killing off the Wii in the markets where they are selling a Wii U.

They need to start getting on the advertising the crap out of it with stuff like the huge selection of first title party games they have and getting their network up to speed. One of the nicest things about the Wii U is the ability to pause a game, go to the community to get help and go right back to the game... ADVERTISE IT

It's really too bad so many dismiss the Wii U because of the gamepad. I love it and all of it's features yet many of my friends say "I just wish it released with just a regular controller". And I just got one a few weeks ago. Another issue I hate is how many view it as just a "kiddy" system and won't even play games because of it. I bought Zelda WW HD and many of my friends won't play just because they don't like the graphics, yet they'll play the boring old grey and brown FPS # 1,5420,523. Ughhhh. But yeah, naming it the Wii U was stupid, as I said in a previous post a gamer friend of mine thought the Wii U was just an add-on for the Wii.

Oh, and I really wish MS would get rid of the Crapneckt. It's absurd we are forced to pay an extra $100 for ****** tech!

Last edited:
I bought Zelda WW HD and many of my friends won't play just because they don't like the graphics, yet they'll play the boring old grey and brown FPS # 1,5420,523. Ughhhh.

You probably shouldn't criticize your friends for continuing to play the same style of game if you are playing an HD remaster of an existing game.

I don't think Nintendo has been particularly innovative on the software side of things for a while. Since GameCube most of their stuff seems really similar to me - which is fine if somebody likes that style, but it does limit the audience.

It's really too bad so many dismiss the Wii U because of the gamepad. I love it and all of it's features yet many of my friends say "I just wish it released with just a regular controller". And I just got one a few weeks ago. Another issue I hate is how many view it as just a "kiddy" system and won't even play games because of it. I bought Zelda WW HD and many of my friends won't play just because they don't like the graphics, yet they'll play the boring old grey and brown FPS # 1,5420,523. Ughhhh. But yeah, naming it the Wii U was stupid, as I said in a previous post a gamer friend of mine thought the Wii U was just an add-on for the Wii.

Oh, and I really wish MS would get rid of the Crapneckt. It's absurd we are forced to pay an extra $100 for ****** tech!

I hear ya. So many games are devoid of any colour. WW might be cartoonish but it's nice to see games with colour popping on my tv screen. Just make sure to use component instead of hdmi, for some reason the Wii-U has colour issues with HDMI so you should notice colours popping much more with component.

The gamepad has been great for Wind Waker, I can swap items and check my map on the fly without even pausing the game. If the wife needs the tv or wants to play another console, one push of a button and I'm playing it on the tablet.

I hear ya. So many games are devoid of any colour. WW might be cartoonish but it's nice to see games with colour popping on my tv screen. Just make sure to use component instead of hdmi, for some reason the Wii-U has colour issues with HDMI so you should notice colours popping much more with component.

The gamepad has been great for Wind Waker, I can swap items and check my map on the fly without even pausing the game. If the wife needs the tv or wants to play another console, one push of a button and I'm playing it on the tablet.

I have not noticed such color issues. You propably have black depth/RGB range set up wrong or your TV autodetects it wrong, resulting in washed out picture?

I have not noticed such color issues. You propably have black depth/RGB range set up wrong or your TV autodetects it wrong, resulting in washed out picture?

I'm not sure how many TVs have this issue with the Wii-U but mine is definitely one of them. Apparently there are many others with the issue, you might be one of the lucky ones :p. It's not a big deal for me as I didn't notice any loss of sharpness went I switched to component and I get to keep a hdmi port free for when I get a ps4 down the road :)

Man I got to love Japan.

Nintendo is not looking so good so the top execs all take a pay cut.

Here in America if they don't make their goals they lay off half the staff and then give the top execs bonuses and raises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back