The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my sister the $300 Zelda special edition Wii-U with Windwaker HD and she played it for a total of maybe 45 minutes and has only turned it on to watch Netflix since. Absolute disgrace

So -- she plays 45 minutes of a game, a genre it appears she doesn't like, and it makes a system a disgrace?

ok...

I *DO NOT* like the idea of another system this soon. That's starting to sound like Sega's various quick-launch debacles after the Genesis.
I don't really think the Wii U's hardware is the problem. A complete overhaul of their online presence and some notable games would serve them better than new hardware.

Even if the system specs were true, it wouldnt launch any time soon. DDR4 memory would be much much to expensive of a price point. IF nintendo were to launch another console it would likely use GDDR5. the Performance of DDR4 compared to GDDR5 wouldnt be worth the price premium at all. Especially when 3rd party devs are designing around having 5+ gb of vram

I *DO NOT* like the idea of another system this soon. That's starting to sound like Sega's various quick-launch debacles after the Genesis.
I don't really think the Wii U's hardware is the problem. A complete overhaul of their online presence and some notable games would serve them better than new hardware.

I agree with this completely. They need to support Wii U for at least 5-6 years to avoid leaving current customers feeling abandoned.

Agreed 100 percent.

People aren't buying the Wii U though. Nintendo has failed to establish a presence after two holiday seasons, the ship may have already sailed on its chances of long term success. They failed at getting the mass market to even understand what the console is. Their only hope at this point might be killing the Gamepad, however that just fragments the user base.

Nintendo might have a shot if they release a new console that blows away the One and PS4 on performance and leaves no doubt that it is a new system. The Wii U is what happens when a company tries one too many gimmicks.

Last edited:
Nintendo might have a shot if they release a new console that blows away the One and PS4 on performance and leaves no doubt that it is a new system. The Wii U is what happens when a company tries one too many gimmicks.

you can get off of pritcher's nut sac now...

I looked over this thread to try and insure this isn't a repeat and if it is my apologies. If nothing else there might be a few new points to work with in all of this:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

These rumored specs have been floating around for a few weeks. There is enough specific information here that I thought there might be something to it all and now I definitely do given what I posted above.

If everything I'm seeing here is talking about "the next thing past the Wii-U" already it's just way too soon. The Wii-U only just came out in late 2012.

If this is true this is what Nintendo really should do. Not now; but by 2016. The most important spec is the cablecard. I don't understand why none of the two "next gen" devices don't have this ability. Ridiculous. I want one box for everything on my TV. The future of console gaming is creating the best TV device. In my eyes; no one has done this yet. Xbox One is close, so is the Wii U. I want a DVR/STB/Gaming system all in one. I don't need Super HD 4k+ graphics; I want something that works well for everything. Nintendo is the company that knows gaming well enough they could pull it off.

I woudl assume the success may be equivalent to that of the Wii.

I can see the Wii-U's life cycle ending before the PS4 and Xbone but I doubt Nintendo would pull the plug right away.

he most important spec is the cablecard

The reason noone has attempted a cable card system is because cable cards are a PIDA to work and install. You want proof go read up on how those new fancy 6 tuner tivo boxes have loads of issues due to firmware issues on the cable cards themselves. Sorry but if I want TV I would rather have my cable box any day of the week.

donkey kong looks cool... graphics is meh though, but gameplay looks good.

I agree about the graphics. The background look a bit... dis-jointed, lacking the vibe and immersion factor of the SNES ones. It's not just the lighting and use of colors, but design-wise it just seems more jumbled, like the part with the blocks on the parallel tracks... it just kinda pulled me out of the experience there, like they focused too much on puzzle/design and forgot about mood and atmosphere.

Anyways, I hope the game does well and helps Wii U. I'm no where near considering buying the console just yet... maybe after some bigger RPGs come out or somethin... a return to side-scrolling Metroid in a huge world would be cool too... maybe contra/castlevania... I think they at least proved side-scrollers aren't dead just yet

It has nothing to do with but sacking, it has to do with the fact that it is nearly impossible to turn around a console after a huge launch failure.

ps3 came out fine, and had a slow start. Nintendo get the price down, better marketing, and get games that really use the system, they should be fine. they will finish last, but if its not too far behind the others, they will be ok.

The reason noone has attempted a cable card system is because cable cards are a PIDA to work and install. You want proof go read up on how those new fancy 6 tuner tivo boxes have loads of issues due to firmware issues on the cable cards themselves. Sorry but if I want TV I would rather have my cable box any day of the week.

I've got a 4 tuner tivo, and the cable card install was cake.

Plug it in. Tivo tells me to call the cable company and give them a number, I do. Tivo works.

I have two of them and never had a problem. The new one might be problems, but I doubt it's entirely on the Cable card. The 6 tuner models are pretty new, and Tivo doesn't have a great track record when it comes to their new hardware. It was a good year before I considered my premier to be working right.

The Sony PlayStation 3 came out fine, and had a slow start. If Nintendo gets the price down, develop better marketing, and get games that really use the system, they should be fine. They will finish last, but if it's not too far behind the others, they will be alright.

**Fixed the post because it was difficult to read.

On topic, if the PS3 had a slow start the Wii U never made it out of the gate before collapsing. Everyone likes to point this out like it shares some resemblances to the Wii U and it has been brought up multiple times throughout this thread and some how keeps popping back up.

- The PS3 sold more than two times the amount of consoles in the same time period than the Wii U has sold LTD. SOURCE

- It had a robust first, second, and third party development scene with hundreds of games in development a year following its release.

- It cost two times the amount of the Wii U at launch.

The reason Sony was able to turn it around was because of price drops (bringing it to Wii U price ranges), an abundance of support, and in my opinion Uncharted 2. Sales increased dramatically around this time, when it shared a price similar to the Wii U.

All things being equal, it is a comparison that should never be made. The only consoles that share similar qualities are not consoles folks want to remember as being successful.

holiday-npd-change-updateder.png

(IMG: courtesy Arstechnica)

Mind you this chart is showing a time when many here were praising the Wii U holiday sales saying everything is fine.

They obviously were not fine. It's not going to be a close third either, the Wii U is going to get decimated in sales. It has already been overtaken in LTD sales from the PS4 and the One is not far behind. It took them 3-4 months to outsell a system with a year head start.

My predictions:

Wii U: 15 million
PS4: 100 million +
XBONE: 70 million

Last edited:
**Fixed the post because it was difficult to read.

On topic, if the PS3 had a slow start the Wii U never made it out of the gate before collapsing. Everyone likes to point this out like it shares some resemblances to the Wii U and it has been brought up multiple times throughout this thread and some how keeps popping back up.

- The PS3 sold more than two times the amount of consoles in the same time period than the Wii U has sold LTD. SOURCE

- It had a robust first, second, and third party development scene with hundreds of games in development a year following its release.

- It cost two times the amount of the Wii U at launch.

The reason Sony was able to turn it around was because of price drops (bringing it to Wii U price ranges), an abundance of support, and in my opinion Uncharted 2. Sales increased dramatically around this time, when it shared a price similar to the Wii U.

All things being equal, it is a comparison that should never be made. The only consoles that share similar qualities are not consoles folks want to remember as being successful.

holiday-npd-change-updateder.png

(IMG: courtesy Arstechnica)

Mind you this chart is showing a time when many here were praising the Wii U holiday sales saying everything is fine.

They obviously were not fine. It's not going to be a close third either, the Wii U is going to get decimated in sales. It has already been overtaken in LTD sales from the PS4 and the One is not far behind. It took them 3-4 months to outsell a system with a year head start.

My predictions:

Dreamcast may not have been a financial success but damn it was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. I'm sure people would say the same about the Gamecube. I never owned one so I missed out on that experience. The Wii U may end up the same way. Hell, the games I have so far have been incredible.

Last edited:

While agree with the rest of your post I think your predictions of LTD sales of all the systems are too optimistic.

I'd say:

Wii U: 13 million.
PS4: 60-70 million.
Xbone: 60-65 million.

HA! the Wii U lives, it lives. Turns out that the second PSU I bought for it croaked....replacement is on the way...

While agree with the rest of your post I think your predictions of LTD sales of all the systems are too optimistic.

I'd say:

Wii U: 13 million.
PS4: 60-70 million.
Xbone: 60-65 million.

The Wii U is a bit difficult because of its situation. Historically I'm expecting it to continue the trend of Nintendo consoles and sell less than 20 million so anything under that figure I'll roll with. If they drop the price to 199.99 or lower it would pick up sales quite a bit.

The PS4 is showing better signs than the PS2 had. I'm figuring it will sell over 100 million but hitting 150 would be a core.

Microsoft is more simple, they really only have North America and the UK. I'd expect similar sales to the 360 over its lifetime unless the RROD factor was larger than I believe it is. I don't believe they sold more than a million or two additional consoles because of it.

Not a huge Donkey Kong fan but this game looks great! Probably not a system seller, but i'm assuming it will probably sell a ton of units regardless since most Nintendo fans are DK fans as well.

Hardcore DK fans already have a wii-u.

They aren't getting that many sales with their software alone, need 3rd parties but nobody wants to develope for the underpowered thing.

Like the title says, done.

Hardcore DK fans already have a wii-u.

They aren't getting that many sales with their software alone, need 3rd parties but nobody wants to develope for the underpowered thing.

Like the title says, done.

I don't have a wii-u, nor am i a hardcore DK fan. But this and a few other games make me want to get a wii-u.
I do agree there needs to be better 3rd party support. Though nintendo does have the best 1st party games imo

Me and my GF grew up playing DK on SNES so after we finished the mario's games, I'll pick this one up. Looks very good!

My Wii U doesn't get alot of playtime but when it does.. it's quality games! :)

Heck Sony just sold off their PC division and ereader division, maybe they can just sell off PlayStation to Nintendo. Nintendo can publish games on PS4 and no need for a new console or expansive online network since Sony has it.

Heck Sony just sold off their PC division and ereader division, maybe they can just sell off PlayStation to Nintendo. Nintendo can publish games on PS4 and no need for a new console or expansive online network since Sony has it.

Sony is in way worse financial trouble than Nintendo. I'm not entirely sure what will happen to Sony's brand name in the future but it's obvious now they are doing whatever they can to keep the name alive. Unfortunately they need to work harder at this. Their name is no longer synonymous with consumer electronics. Sony priced themselves out of being competitive over the past decade or so and now are trying to fall back on the Playstation brand name along with their mobile devices (which don't sell as well as they would like them to).

I'm really surprised they would let go of the PC division. It seems like their Vaio products were excellent. They are also spinning off their TV division as well. It will be interesting if Sony will be around another 10 years from now or if it will just be the "Playstation" branding that sticks.

I'm sure Sony will be around, worst case they fall back on their divisions that can actually make products and are competitive. It'll only be a few,they shouldn't have tried to be everything at once.

Sony is in way worse financial trouble than Nintendo. I'm not entirely sure what will happen to Sony's brand name in the future but it's obvious now they are doing whatever they can to keep the name alive. Unfortunately they need to work harder at this. Their name is no longer synonymous with consumer electronics. Sony priced themselves out of being competitive over the past decade or so and now are trying to fall back on the Playstation brand name along with their mobile devices (which don't sell as well as they would like them to).

I'm really surprised they would let go of the PC division. It seems like their Vaio products were excellent. They are also spinning off their TV division as well. It will be interesting if Sony will be around another 10 years from now or if it will just be the "Playstation" branding that sticks.

Sounds to me like the scene in 5th element when they shone the light on the IBM sign.

Considering nintendo wont even allow GTA on their system, imagine what they would do to twisted metal, god of war and other mature games. As much as i like nintendo, that wouldnt be good.

I'm sure Sony will be around, worst case they fall back on their divisions that can actually make products and are competitive. It'll only be a few,they shouldn't have tried to be everything at once.

Apologist alert. You severely underestimate Sonys financial trouble. They have laid off developers, sold infrastructure, sold entire departments. Their credit rating is now junk status. What divisions of theirs are even profitable right now? The Mobile handset turns a profit but a small one. Their Music and Movie departments have been flatlining for some time now. The quality of their products has dropped significantly, Their TVs went in a downward spiral in quality 5 years ago. Nintendo on the other hand has a surplus, and a HUGE one to live the wii u lifecycle out.

Apologist alert. You severely underestimate Sonys financial trouble. They have laid off developers, sold infrastructure, sold entire departments. Their credit rating is now junk status. What divisions of theirs are even profitable right now? The Mobile handset turns a profit but a small one. Their Music and Movie departments have been flatlining for some time now. The quality of their products has dropped significantly, Their TVs went in a downward spiral in quality 5 years ago. Nintendo on the other hand has a surplus, and a HUGE one to live the wii u lifecycle out.

This

Sony unfortunately is downing the drain, almost all departments are either losing money or are being sold off.

Nintendo has enough money to ride through the rest of the Wii U's cycle and is clearly making money on the Wii and 3DS platforms, even though the Wii U may be suffering, however the Wii-U is far from being dead.

If Nintendo bought the PS brand and assets, that would be interesting, but as pointed out earlier, they would most likely not produce or allow onto the system many, if any, mature rated games.

If Nintendo bought the PS brand and assets, that would be interesting, but as pointed out earlier, they would most likely not produce or allow onto the system many, if any, mature rated games.

Nintendo buying Playstation would never happen, however in the highly hypothetical situation that it would happen, even Nintendo would not be so stupid as to say "We will not allow mature rated games onto the Playstation consoles now that we own Playstation." Quite a stupid comment btw. I mean, even Nintendo has had Mature titles on all their consoles as far back as I can remember... so why would you even think to say that Nintendo wouldn't allow Mature rated games onto Playstation if they hypothetically bought it? Makes no sense at all as to how you came to that guess.

Nintendo has been on both sides of the "mature content" line.

There was a big uproar in the SNES days over Mortal Kombat. Nintendo didn't allow blood in their games, and Sega did, and I'm sure that cost the big N some users. However, they've since gone to different extremes... anyone that played Conker's Bad Fur Day can attest that it was indeed a mature title. You had to throw toilet paper at a big shit monster that was singing opera.

As far as I know, they've been relaxed their content restrictions considerably...

Nintendo has been on both sides of the "mature content" line.

There was a big uproar in the SNES days over Mortal Kombat. Nintendo didn't allow blood in their games, and Sega did, and I'm sure that cost the big N some users. However, they've since gone to different extremes... anyone that played Conker's Bad Fur Day can attest that it was indeed a mature title. You had to throw toilet paper at a big shit monster that was singing opera.

As far as I know, they've been relaxed their content restrictions considerably...

Yes, but last time I checked they refuse to accept Binding Of Isaac Rebirth to be released on 3DS due to its religious theme. Which is a sad thing because I am an Isaac junkie and thats exactly the kind of game I'd love to play on go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back