The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? How did you even arrive at that conclusion?

Also, he was most likely talking about more apps like the Pokédex.

So, Nintendo, which dominates the portable gaming console market, has a tarnished brand name and so should exclusively release games on others' mobile devices.

Sure thing. They'll get right on that.

lets look at angry birds $$ versus whatever title nintendo has of their top product on the DS/3DS. And it costs 75% less. Yeah..exactly.

Last edited:
Note that app looks like hell and was never updated for the new X/Y Pokemon. And it costs $24 in DLC to get all of the Pokemon available.

That it wasn't updated is less relevant than the fact that it exists. Nintendo turned an enemy into an ally without changing their core business. Companion apps are the way to go.

lets look at angry birds $$ versus whatever title nintendo has of their top product on the DS/3DS. And it costs 75% less. Yeah..exactly.

Sure, let's look. Mind posting facts to back that up?

Well, except you're comparing a POS phone game that you play on the toilet with an actual 3D gaming experience.

Well, except you're comparing a POS phone game that you play on the toilet with an actual 3D gaming experience.

The company that makes the POS phone game is making a profit.. the company with the 3d gaming experience is losing money. One company needs to change what they are doing to remain a viable business, the other is doing fine. You can only have so many years of loses before you are no more.

Nintendo isn't there yet, but a few more years of losses and they will be.

The company that makes the POS phone game is making a profit.. the company with the 3d gaming experience is losing money. One company needs to change what they are doing to remain a viable business, the other is doing fine. You can only have so many years of loses before you are no more.

Okay so, according to you all companies should just make shitty phone games because they pull the most profit? It should have nothing to do with the quality of the games, just a money machine?

Surely this is not what you are saying.

I'm not no, I'm just saying they have to expand their options to more than what they are currently doing.

Be it mobile games, PS4/One games, new console initiative, new CEO, etc.

I love your spaghetti on the wall philosophy. I can see why your company is so successful.

I love your spaghetti on the wall philosophy. I can see why your company is so successful.

Don't critique me, I have no idea what they are going to do. I've already posted what I believe they should do and it had nothing to do with any of those other than firing Iwata. I was just posting current discussions people have brought up in the industry/community.

Well Nintendo has the pockets for it so...

Brand new console in 2016 with WiiU backwards comparability via WiiU SOC. The console will be like the PS4 - 8 or more CPU cores (x86-64). At least 8 GB of GDDR5 unified RAM. Wii/ WiiU accessory support. In fact it should just be another AMD APU with 2 or 3 years of performance improvements.

That's it. All games from Nintendo will have to have a Wii U version until like 2018 or so.

They need a 3rd party machine while not shitting on the faces of Wii U owners...

...and online support like Sony and MS...

That's all they need/ had to do.

Okay so, according to you all companies should just make shitty phone games because they pull the most profit? It should have nothing to do with the quality of the games, just a money machine?

Surely this is not what you are saying.

In the real world, companies exist to make money. The best game in the world won't keep the doors open if it doesn't sell. Thinking that games companies have anything on their minds except making money is incredibly foolish.

Also, just because you think it's "shitty" doesn't make it so. More people bought Angry Birds than the total software sales of the Wii U. Rovio must be doing something right.

Don't critique me, I have no idea what they are going to do. I've already posted what I believe they should do and it had nothing to do with any of those other than firing Iwata. I was just posting current discussions people have brought up in the industry/community.

I'm not critiquing you I'm praising your very insightful business acumen. I had no idea the [H] ard forums were blessed with such an astute and successful businessman such as yourself. If I was you I would be submitting my name for consideration as Iwata's replacement. Have you considered a Ted talk on this subject? Perhaps maybe an article in Investors Business Daily or the Wall Street Journal? You would have a larger audience to guide and captivate with your cutting edge business philosophy and insights!

Last edited:
I'm not critiquing you I'm praising your very insightful business acumen. I had no idea the [H] ard forums were blessed with such an astute and successful businessman such as yourself. If I was you I would be submitting my name for consideration as Iwata's replacement. Have you considered a Ted talk on this subject? Perhaps maybe an article in Investors Business Daily or the Wall Street Journal? You would have a larger audience to guide and captivate with your cutting edge business philosophy and insights!

I know, right?! All he has to do is tell them about his participation in the largest thread in the history of the [H] console forum and they'll hire him on the spot.

It's going to take probably a decade of losses for Nintendo to be "no more". Nintendo is still shitting cash with the 3DS. I'm assuming the Wii U won't be a horrendous loss in the end for Nintendo, either. They realize they have made a mistake with the system; if they take the proper steps to correct it (#1 should go to marketing) they may end up breaking even on the console. Even if they write it off as a loss (maybe a big one), they will still be in better shape financially than Sony. Nintendo isn't selling their buildings to help hide losses in other areas.

I know, right?! All he has to do is tell them about his participation in the largest thread in the history of the [H] console forum and they'll hire him on the spot.

Call it whatever you want, there were thousands of people saying this was going to happen a long time ago, almost or in some cases verbatim to how it is playing out. Mockery only makes Iwata and yourselves look ignorant on the subject and foolish here.

Call it whatever you want, there were thousands of people saying this was going to happen a long time ago, almost or in some cases verbatim to how it is playing out. Mockery only makes Iwata and yourselves look ignorant on the subject and foolish here.

Mockery? You assume wrong. The praise is sincere. Your business insight and forward thinking is truly amazing. When you take Iwata's place you can rid Nintendo of their backwards innovators and replace them with the thousands of others who shared your views. I'm just a gamer who plays fun games and lack your considerable foresight. Perhaps you should step in to help Sony since they're also bleeding money like a siv and are struggling to keep their global workforce intact.

Mockery? You assume wrong. The praise is sincere. Your business insight and forward thinking is truly amazing. When you take Iwata's place you can rid Nintendo of their backwards innovators and replace them with the thousands of others who shared your views. I'm just a gamer who plays fun games and lack your considerable foresight. Perhaps you should step in to help Sony since they're also bleeding money like a siv and are struggling to keep their global workforce intact.

burn :(

I totally plan to carefully re-read all your posts (so I'll be less ignorant) as soon I finish Wind Waker HD and New Super Mario Bros. U.

Seriously though, you know what I think is foolish? Pretending that anyone that matters (like Nintendo execs) actually gives a shit what you think. I'm fairly confident that they'll work it out just fine without your help.

I totally plan to carefully re-read all your posts (so I'll be less ignorant) as soon I finish Wind Waker HD and New Super Mario Bros. U.

Seriously though, you know what I think is foolish? Pretending that anyone that matters (like Nintendo execs) actually gives a shit what you think. I'm fairly confident that they'll work it out just fine without your help.

Proof that hardcore Nintendo fans are blinded by any Nintendo games. Look there's a Zelda! :D

What I don't get is, why doesn't Nintendo capitalize on prior IPs that if they made would undoudbtedly sell lots such as Star Fox? Instead of farming it out to other devs? If there was a new Nintendo-made SF I guarantee it'd be a hit. Do they not want our money? I think one of Nintendos biggest problems is that they don't take advantage of old IPs.

Proof that hardcore Nintendo fans are blinded by any Nintendo games. Look there's a Zelda! :D

For the record I'm also playing WoW, Last of Us, and Ico. Yes, I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan but not to the exclusion of any other platform. I love them all. ;)

What I don't get is, why doesn't Nintendo capitalize on prior IPs that if they made would undoudbtedly sell lots such as Star Fox? Instead of farming it out to other devs? If there was a new Nintendo-made SF I guarantee it'd be a hit. Do they not want our money? I think one of Nintendos biggest problems is that they don't take advantage of old IPs.

It probably falls back on them not being used to HD development. I'm sure they would love to but they likely do not have the teams in place to handle multiple titles. That is slowly changing, we'll see here in the next couple of weeks what they want to do.

I'd be interested in another SMB RPG.

For the record I'm also playing WoW, Last of Us, and Ico. Yes, I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan but not to the exclusion of any other platform. I love them all. ;)

inconceivable! If you play Nintendo there is no way you can play or have purchased another system. Any one who plays a Nintendo system can't enjoy any of the others. You must be confused.

....Huge Nintendo fan and all I can think about is Dark Souls 2...

can't really be a huge Sony or MS fan as they don't really make games...who wants to be a fan of a console. Nintendo on the other hand makes games and also happens to make consoles...but its their games which makes them appealing which you can't say the same about MS and Sony they are just people trying to pawn off underpower PC's as consoles.

Because Nintendo or Microsoft have never acquired a developer... :rolleyes:

I wonder how Nintendo's development resources started and have evolved since they entered the console market. How much of their team is home grown versus acquired?

I wonder how Nintendo's development resources started and have evolved since they entered the console market. How much of their team is home grown versus acquired?

I'd say Nintendo has a lot more home grown talent if for no other reason than being in the console market far longer than Sony or Microsoft.

In the context of stevedave's post does it really matter? Sony is a first party developer with many excellent games. So you can be a fan of Sony for their games and not their hardware. Sony also does a much better job of recognizing their talent and letting them get the credit for their work. Naughty Dog could just be named "Group #3" like Nintendo studios are named. Except Sony doesn't mind pointing out the success of individual development teams.

psst.... Sony makes tons of games. Many of which are amazing.

God of War, Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, MLB the Show, etc etc

SCE Worldwide Studios is the development arm of Sony.

good point. While none of those are too my taste being that they too much QTE and/or would be better on PC I can see how people would find those games enjoyable.

One could argue that just because Sony purchases development studios and wraps them in their umbrella doesn't truly make them Sony games but I'm not going to do so.

In the context of stevedave's post does it really matter? Sony is a first party developer with many excellent games. So you can be a fan of Sony for their games and not their hardware. Sony also does a much better job of recognizing their talent and letting them get the credit for their work. Naughty Dog could just be named "Group #3" like Nintendo studios are named. Except Sony doesn't mind pointing out the success of individual development teams.

Perfect point that can't be argued with. I happen to like their hardware and not their games however. I'd like to see some outstanding games that wouldn't work as well on PC like JRPGs, some in person multiplier games like Worms Armageddon, Maybe something bad ass like castlevaina symphony of the night.......So pretty much something like Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, ect....

Actually I'd really like a new dr.mario type game. A new game like that hasn't been made in god knows how long.

....Huge Nintendo fan and all I can think about is Dark Souls 2...

can't really be a huge Sony or MS fan as they don't really make games...who wants to be a fan of a console. Nintendo on the other hand makes games and also happens to make consoles...but its their games which makes them appealing which you can't say the same about MS and Sony they are just people trying to pawn off underpower PC's as consoles.

While sony's playstation/games image was tarnished some with ps3, they have a game portfolio that basically rivals nintendo. Sony has the games for the more mature crowd, while nintendo has nintendo charm. Games that both Adults and kids can play and have fun. While I love mario, sometimes though i really wish mario would get medieval on the traitorous goomba ass with a chainsaw doom style.

While sony's playstation/games image was tarnished some with ps3, they have a game portfolio that basically rivals nintendo. Sony has the games for the more mature crowd, while nintendo has nintendo charm. Games that both Adults and kids can play and have fun. While I love mario, sometimes though i really wish mario would get medieval on the traitorous goomba ass with a chainsaw doom style.

For the general population I'd say sony (including 3rd party) far surpasses Nintendo. But for people with a PC the PS4 is all but useless.

Nintendo has that Nintendo factor which has yet to be replicated by anything so it makes the best complement to not only a PC but a PS4 as well.

Nintendo for fun light games with the wife and friends IRL. PC for everything else.

Mario + Kart on Wii-U and Dark Souls 2 on PC........only thing missing is some classic JRPG's but I guess Vita and 3DS will fill that gap eventually because I'm quite certain xbox1 and ps4 aren't going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back