The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two articles give dates of Oct 18th (360) and Nov 2nd (PS3). That's only two weeks, and covers the manufacturers' supply for the Thanksgiving shopping mania here in the US. Even the site I linked put the total sales for the two consoles within 2 million of each other.

Measuring by official statements or by some random website the sales numbers for 360 and PS3 are close. The phrase "firmly in third" doesn't describe this situation.

"Firmly in third" indicates there has never been a month, a week, a day, or a second where the PS3 had more total sales than the Xbox 360. It's been playing catch up for 7 years. That is why I said "Firmly in third".

The US is still a bigger market for consoles than "Europe" - at least according to that site.

57.42 million 360+PS3's sold in Europe vs 73.51 360+PS3's sold in the US.
Wii also sold about 10 million more units in US than Europe.

Europe is also harder to predict. The PS3 was supposed to demolish the Xbox 360 because they have always favored Sony consoles in Europe and in Japan, but it didn't QUITE work out that way. Nintendo has weird blind spots in Europe, ignoring countries for localization reasons, so they have erratic performance there.

So interesting story.

Went to buy a Wii U this weekend as a gift for my nephew. They were sold out almost everywhere. The 8th store I tried had one in stock which I grabbed.

Not sure if it's a sign of good sales, or stores simply not stocking many due to perceived low demand.

So interesting story.

Went to buy a Wii U this weekend as a gift for my nephew. They were sold out almost everywhere. The 8th store I tried had one in stock which I grabbed.

Not sure if it's a sign of good sales, or stores simply not stocking many due to perceived low demand.

Hard to say. It might be a lack of shipments to replenish for a spike in demand.

So far, the implication is that the Wii U's demand is steadily increasing in December in most markets.

That video gives me some hope. One of the terrible decisions in MKW was mixing multiple vehicle types and it looks like each character is going back to a fixed vehicle this time?

MK7 had customizable vehicles, so I would imagine they'd continue with that they've established in the most recent game.

I love the levels they showed off in the last trailer, and I'm holding out hope that the anti-gravity mechanic allows for F-zero like pipe tracks. I loved the last 2 console F-zero games....

What would really put MK8 through the roof, is an actual campaign of sorts. With a story. Maybe some story based mission play, with open world gameplay. NFS: MK8 lol.

Sony was into motion based games well before the Wii was even announced. Not sure why that statement keeps getting thrown around.

I would respond to Yue but it seems critical thinking is not his strong suit. Slow start is not how I would describe each launch of the PlayStation 3 and Wii U when they were priced so out of each other's initial prices while the PlayStation 3 sold more in half the time and not once experienced the sales crashes the Wii U has seen.

Sony was into motion based games well before the Wii was even announced. Not sure why that statement keeps getting thrown around.

I would respond to Yue but it seems critical thinking is not his strong suit. Slow start is not how I would describe each launch of the PlayStation 3 and Wii U when they were priced so out of each other's initial prices while the PlayStation 3 sold more in half the time and not once experienced the sales crashes the Wii U has seen.

lol you can't respond because you are wrong. Compared to the Wii it was destroyed. compared to the 360 it was far behind in monthly sales figures for a long time.

Nintendo had the POWER GLOVE (their first attempt at motion gaming) way back before Sony was even thinking about doing motion gaming (or gaming for that matter) so once again our anti Nintendo fanboy is FLAT OUT is wrong

If all you care about is 1080p, good for you that the PS4 and XB1 have you covered. Enjoy it. I suppose you're one of those people that also buys the audio receiver with the most watts, the digital camera with the most megapixels, and the PC with the most gigahertz without any regard for any other important specifications.

Similar to Zamardii, I returned my unopened PS4 two days after launch. I spent a lot of time reading reviews and forum discussions in which the response to the launch PS4 titles was extremely tepid. I was BEGGING for a reason to keep the PS4 but there was no reason to do so.

For about the same money, I can pick up the Wii U Mario/Luigi bundle, Pikmin 3, and Super Mario 3D World. I'm also excited to try Wonderful 101 and Wind Waker HD (never played the original). A lot of the other PS4 release titles I can get for my PS3 or my PC.

Bottom line....the Wii U has more going for it right now than the PS4 or the XB1. I think people are starting to see that.

Looks like the XBoxOne does NOT have you covered if you want 1080p

We covered this.

PS3 outsold Wii U in first year sales by a huge margin, cost two times as much and still saw shortages. It's not something you want to compare the Wii-U too.

It did? number from japan here 1st year sales

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/wii-u-performing-better-playstation-3-vita-life-date-japan/

Last edited:
How the fuck is somebody supposed to enjoy a game if the gameplay is garbage?

Like I said this isn't the days of Mario vs Pitfall or Zelda vs. Venture or Tecmo Football vs Touchdown Football etc. EVERY console these days has "Great" gameplay if they don't rush the game out...and take it seriously.

because SM3DW isn't 1080p...
That means if SMG3 gets designed by Miyamoto it will most likely also be 720p upscaled or lower. That sucks because that will be his last game, and the Wii U won't push it to its full capabilities. Same with Zelda if that's his last game, it's a let down imho, but it isn't a deal breaker by any means but when you stack up that problem with many others it becomes less desirable imho than the PS4. Your comments reek of Ninty is the only company that makes good video games. Well you're wrong, and the Wii U doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I have played to much Nintendo games from NES to now and they're more and more unappealing to me as they get so slowly updated but I agree with you MK8 and DKCTF look to be their best offerings yet and next gen, but that is all that interests me on the Wii U and they're still not available yet. So lets take yours and Eradan's method of thinking, I would buy a Wii U and instantly return it because it has NO GAMES! You guys really know how to give good advice don't you?!? Nah, I'll just wait for it to die hard, and if it's dirt cheap by them with 4 decent games I might just rush out and get one by then lol! As far as playing old Wii games on the Wii U? Well that is good and, all but I have a red Wii sitting here...so that makes your point for purchasing a Wii U another useless/bad reason for me and others that already own a original Wii.

To me, it sounds like you're butthurt and are full of sour grapes, and are attempting to bask in schadenfreude for a perceived problem with a competitor's console.

Schadenfreude? Nintendo is a CORPORATION not a PERSON. Also this is not the Atari era any longer where the NES vs Atari gameplay was un-debatable. Take a boxing game on Atari vs Mike Tysons Punch Out for example. There was a dramatic difference.

Now days circa 2013 any major console platform can have amazing gameplay if the developer works on that aspect of the game, and it's not solely reserved to Miyamoto any longer. One main beef I have with Nintendo is that it goes out of their way to stay behind on graphics, even after they made I would imagine over 10 billion dollars with their original Wii. That's the problem they made so much money, and refuse to use it in a way that would benefit their fanbases gaming experience. Nintendo goes for that cheap dolla again sacrificing visual quality, and they go for their tried and true controller gimmicks or gimmick fails. Just roll them dice Ninty. Along with numerous other silly choices as I have stated with my opinions in this thread that I disagree with for the most part.

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
Global rankings seem to be Wii then PS3 then 360
US rankings seem to be 360 then Wii then PS3
Japan rankings seem to be PS3 then Wii then 360
Europe rankings seem to be PS3 then Wii then 360

I'm not sure it's fair to call a console that's #2 globally and a leader in 2/3* regions "firmly in third". If you only meant the US you should have said so.

(* I'm ignoring the "other" region because I'm lazy)

Oh come on man! Lets NOT be REALISTIC or anything, and use a realistic view, haha ;)

Can't we all just live in a the Bubble of 2009 where Ninty is still GODS of the 6th gen, and the Wii U hasn't happened yet! It's so warm and cozy there like a childs electric blanky in the freezing winter. I wish every nite to return to 2009 and live there forever! (heehee) NOT!

It's not done for ME but this thread also shows that I'm not alone.

Might be done for the Wii casuals though. Which determines Nintendo's bottom line.

Hard to say. It might be a lack of shipments to replenish for a spike in demand.

So far, the implication is that the Wii U's demand is steadily increasing in December in most markets.

Every consumer "toys" demand increases around December, you make my brain hurt. (LOL!)

Slow start is not how I would describe each launch of the PlayStation 3 and Wii U when they were priced so out of each other's initial prices while the PlayStation 3 sold more in half the time and not once experienced the sales crashes the Wii U has seen.

Agreed, some people are pretty amazing here though.

Nintendo had the POWER GLOVE (their first attempt at motion gaming) way back before Sony was even thinking about doing motion gaming (or gaming for that matter) so once again our anti Nintendo fanboy is FLAT OUT is wrong

The power glove and ROB were so terrible I returned them as a kid. True story.

Last edited:
^still does not negate the fact that your boy net-jin was wrong yet again lol (true story)

Oh, and even Sony knows what's up with the Wii U...

Shuhei Yoshida said:
The latest Mario game is really good, too. I think the Wii U is just getting started...People can get together and enjoy [the Wii U]; it's got plenty of wonderful games,... Nintendo helps raise and teaches the fun of games to people just starting out. I think that's a very important thing in this industry.

http://www.actiontrip.com/news/sonys-shuhei-yoshida-says-the-wii-u-is-just-getting-started/121913_6

Last edited:
Yue contex is not your strong suit at all.

You're effectively saying the Wii U is just off to a slow start when comparing it to consoles that sold close too 100 million. Even the most die hard Nintendo fan will question the Wii Us ability to reach 40 million much less 100.

You're effectively saying the Wii U is just off to a slow start when comparing it to consoles that sold close too 100 million. Even the most die hard Nintendo fan will question the Wii Us ability to reach 10 million much less 20.

There, fixed.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Matt...r_Wii_U_sales_suggest_grim_lifetime_sales.php

The WiiU started with a decent enough idea on the graphics, but they seem to have butchered the cpu in regard to even the PS3 and the X360, this is terrible because it makes porting certain games hard to the point that the WiiU version may be inferior to the old consoles. WiiU will be replaced in 3-4 years (and the 3 year figure is a bit on the lenient side IMHO).

You're effectively saying the Wii U is just off to a slow start when comparing it to consoles that sold close too 100 million. Even the most die hard Nintendo fan will question the Wii Us ability to reach 40 million much less 100.

Are you going to acknowledge that you were wrong about Sony vs. Nintendo on motion controls?

Like I said this isn't the days of Mario vs Pitfall or Zelda vs. Venture or Tecmo Football vs Touchdown Football etc. EVERY console these days has "Great" gameplay if they don't rush the game out...and take it seriously.

That means if SMG3 gets designed by Miyamoto it will most likely also be 720p upscaled or lower. That sucks because that will be his last game, and the Wii U won't push it to its full capabilities. Same with Zelda if that's his last game, it's a let down imho, but it isn't a deal breaker by any means but when you stack up that problem with many others it becomes less desirable imho than the PS4. Your comments reek of Ninty is the only company that makes good video games. Well you're wrong, and the Wii U doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I have played to much Nintendo games from NES to now and they're more and more unappealing to me as they get so slowly updated but I agree with you MK8 and DKCTF look to be their best offerings yet and next gen, but that is all that interests me on the Wii U and they're still not available yet. So lets take yours and Eradan's method of thinking, I would buy a Wii U and instantly return it because it has NO GAMES! You guys really know how to give good advice don't you?!? Nah, I'll just wait for it to die hard, and if it's dirt cheap by them with 4 decent games I might just rush out and get one by then lol! As far as playing old Wii games on the Wii U? Well that is good and, all but I have a red Wii sitting here...so that makes your point for purchasing a Wii U another useless/bad reason for me and others that already own a original Wii.

Schadenfreude? Nintendo is a CORPORATION not a PERSON. Also this is not the Atari era any longer where the NES vs Atari gameplay was un-debatable. Take a boxing game on Atari vs Mike Tysons Punch Out for example. There was a dramatic difference.

Now days circa 2013 any major console platform can have amazing gameplay if the developer works on that aspect of the game, and it's not solely reserved to Miyamoto any longer. One main beef I have with Nintendo is that it goes out of their way to stay behind on graphics, even after they made I would imagine over 10 billion dollars with their original Wii. That's the problem they made so much money, and refuse to use it in a way that would benefit their fanbases gaming experience. Nintendo goes for that cheap dolla again sacrificing visual quality, and they go for their tried and true controller gimmicks or gimmick fails. Just roll them dice Ninty. Along with numerous other silly choices as I have stated with my opinions in this thread that I disagree with for the most part.

Oh come on man! Lets NOT be REALISTIC or anything, and use a realistic view, haha ;)

Can't we all just live in a the Bubble of 2009 where Ninty is still GODS of the 6th gen, and the Wii U hasn't happened yet! It's so warm and cozy there like a childs electric blanky in the freezing winter. I wish every nite to return to 2009 and live there forever! (heehee) NOT!

Might be done for the Wii casuals though. Which determines Nintendo's bottom line.

Every consumer "toys" demand increases around December, you make my brain hurt. (LOL!)

Agreed, some people are pretty amazing here though.

The power glove and ROB were so terrible I returned them as a kid. True story.

You actually think he's suggesting that Nintendo is the only developer that delivers good gameplay? That's not the point...the point is that you can have a great game and it doesn't have to be in 1080p. If you're sitting 10' away from a 50" display, you probably can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p anyway. You make is sound like anything less than 1080p is VHS.

I concede that the Wii U hardware is inferior to that of its peers. I concede that sales are poor and are likely to continue to be poor. But, if you truly love games you cannot deny that there are (finally) some pretty good ones available for the platform. If they're not your cup of tea, fine, but don't be a fanboy asshole and root for Nintendo to suffer failure. How does that benefit anyone?

We don't need to Nintendo to release another console that's more like the PS4 or XB1. Because we already have those consoles. EVERYONE i know that owns or owned a Wii also owned a 360 or PS3. How many platforms do I need to play the next Assassins Creed on? I don't need to be able to play Madden 25 on my Wii U. I can play it on my PS3.

This is why this thread is inherently wrong. This is why it does matter that Nintendo has the financial resources to weather the lack of Wii U sales. As long as they continue to release the kinds of games that has made them an icon in history of the video game industry, gamers win. The root for them to fail is selfish and stupid.

Good games > fanboy BS.

The nintendo PowerGlove was actually designed and developed by mattel, not nintendo.

So nope, it wasn't nintendo's move child.

I still want another diddy kong racing damn it. Mario cart with planes and hovercraft.... Come on!

No, actually, he was telling you that the Wii U is off to selling the SAME QUANTITY OR MORE than consoles that sold close to 100 million. In the same stretch of time, the Wii U is on target to beat the PS3 sales for the same period in their lifespan.

Do you really need people to give you proof that the PS3 was off to a slow start?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/140253/article.html

There's a lot of articles about that. How many do you want to see?

The nintendo PowerGlove was actually designed and developed by mattel, not nintendo.

Mattel just manufactured it for the US market.It was designed by another group using already patented technology. Either way, it was ahead of anything Sony did.

Are you going to acknowledge that you were wrong about Sony vs. Nintendo on motion controls?

Wrong about what exactly? Sony had already released a dozen titles for the original PS Eye for the PlayStation 2 almost 2 years before the Wii was even announced (read: before anyone knew anything about it).

Sony has been researching and doing development on motion controls since 1999. And please spare me the power glove nonsense.

A more valid arguement would probably be Microsoft copied Sonys direction in motion play.

Wrong about what exactly? Sony had already released a dozen titles for the original PS Eye for the PlayStation 2 almost 2 years before the Wii was even announced (read: before anyone knew anything about it).

Sony has been researching and doing development on motion controls since 1999. And please spare me the power glove nonsense.

A more valid arguement would probably be Microsoft copied Sonys direction in motion play.

Fine. Would you say Sony's motion control implementation has been successful?

No, actually, he was telling you that the Wii U is off to selling the SAME QUANTITY OR MORE than consoles that sold close to 100 million. In the same stretch of time, the Wii U is on target to beat the PS3 sales for the same period in their lifespan.

Do you really need people to give you proof that the PS3 was off to a slow start?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/140253/article.html

There's a lot of articles about that. How many do you want to see?

For the love of Christ post a link for the first 2 and them the first 4 qtr sales numbers for both platforms if your going to try and make a point.

PS 3 sold significantly more at double the cost.
It never experienced multiple sales crashes, it saw month over month average increases.
It averaged more games released by a factor of 3 to 1 in the same time span.

Jack Tretton called that bad sales and openly apologized.

What in the hell is Iwata doing?

Outright lying to shareholders and their consumers, relying on an old ass monkey after their franchise player failed to take the field.

Fine. Would you say Sony's motion control implementation has been successful?

Nope, and Sony has been saying it won't be for another decade or more. They really don't care about motion because it can't effectively be used for AAA games where a normal controller wouldn't be optimal.

I couldn't brave myself to finish DKC on Wii because of the dumb ass motion controls.

Nope, and Sony has been saying it won't be for another decade or more. They really don't care about motion because it can't effectively be used for AAA games where a normal controller wouldn't be optimal.

I couldn't brave myself to finish DKC on Wii because of the dumb ass motion controls.

the controls on the Wii were one of the reasons I couldn't play through a lot of games. Prime 3 is a great example. having to aim by waving my arm around gets tiresome quite quickly.

Saddly the motion controls are holding me back from completing Skyward Sword. The game looks really fun but I just don't want to have to flail my arms around. I hope to see Nintendo stray away from motion controls in their upcoming AAA titles.

my five year old daughter loves playing Kinnect Party on my Xbox 360 and I've played a few games with her and it's pretty entertaining but it doesn't last for long with me. I definitely would not want to play a game like Zelda where would need to flick my wrist or whatever to swing a sword. Sounds cool and interactive in theory but I'll pass every time.

the controls on the Wii were one of the reasons I couldn't play through a lot of games. Prime 3 is a great example. having to aim by waving my arm around gets tiresome quite quickly.

Most of these games boil down to wrist movement, more than your whole arm. Most of the time I would sit on the couch and have the wiimote resting on my thigh and I would make relatively minor movements.

I have an unopened copy of Skyward Sword on the shelf (along with Xenoblade and one of the Fire Emblem games) that I was looking forward to playing on the Wii U next week. Are you telling me that motion controls are mandatory for Skyward Sword? That I can't just use my classic or pro controller?

I have an unopened copy of Skyward Sword on the shelf (along with Xenoblade and one of the Fire Emblem games) that I was looking forward to playing on the Wii U next week. Are you telling me that motion controls are mandatory for Skyward Sword? That I can't just use my classic or pro controller?

Nope, you need you wii-motion plus controller and nunchuk combo. How you swing your wii-mote determines how link swings his sword. It looks really neat but I'd rather just push a button.

Actually, Nintendo still had motion controls way before Sony without the power glove.

It was called the Power Pad.

The motion controls are very well done with this game, though. I still have to finish it but it's excellent!

uh, say what? It's the Nintendo power glove, not the Mattel Power Glove...

nice try though... and if you want to get right down to it, the light gun was really the start of motion control,,, because you moved it to shoot a target on screen (the duck)

Ya'll are seriously stretching with these "Nintendo was first with motion" arguments. If the Powerglove or Powerpad were motion based you might as well say Atari was first with motion controls because you had to move your hands and fingers to control the Stick and single button controller.

Ya'll are seriously stretching with these "Nintendo was first with motion" arguments. If the Powerglove or Powerpad were motion based you might as well say Atari was first with motion controls because you had to move your hands and fingers to control the Stick and single button controller.

well at least we're not the one making false claims about Sony using motion controls before Nintendo.......makes you look pretty foolish now, doesn't it?

Movement by direct interaction with a device is not the same as movement based gaming Yue, come on now. Others see this so why can't you? You're the only one reaching here because everyone posting here seems to understand this.

All three platforms use the same type of movement methods (Camera/IR with body movement), that standard is something Sony brought to market before Nintendo announced the Wii. I don't always fall back to a failed argument saying Nintendo copied Sony because I don't really care about that issue or motion based gaming in general. But it does not mean I will not call out and correct bad information.

^ try to spin it all you want but lets face it, when it comes to motion controls on the home console, Nintendo was undeniably first by quite a significant margin...

you said Sony was first with motion controlled gaming and as we all know by your silly backtracking and trying to quantify what you meant, you were wrong by about 20 years. Just because you are too dense to admit it, does not change the facts. The light gun was the first controller that you put in your hands and interacted with the actual game. Your lame attempt the Atari joystick comparison just goes to show how utterly clueless you are..... Motion based gaming started with the light gun, power glove, and power pad, not the Eye Toy....

^ try to spin it all you want but lets face it, when it comes to motion controls on the home console, Nintendo was undeniably first by quite a significant margin...

you said Sony was first with motion controlled gaming and as we all know by your silly backtracking and trying to quantify what you meant, you were wrong by about 20 years. Just because you are too dense to admit it, does not change the facts. The light gun was the first controller that you put in your hands and interacted with the actual game. Your lame attempt the Atari joystick comparison just goes to show how utterly clueless you are..... Motion based gaming started with the light gun, power glove, and power pad, not the Eye Toy....

The comparison to Sony/Microsoft copying Nintendo is directly related to the Wii motion controls when Sony later introduced the Move and Microsoft with their Kinect. That is the starting point for every single comment made in the 21st century where someone makes that statement since it is all based around the same interaction and technology. Me being right leaving you with nothing more than a retarded fallback does not change that point.

Camera/IR Full Body Motion is not even in the same universe as a tactile input system. My comparison to Atari was perfectly valid when it is the exact same interaction using the hands for control (or feet with the Power Pad).

This is not even arguing semantics as much as I would love to say, you're just wrong in every aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back