The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a few hours with a Wii U now, played some Wind Waker and NintendoLand.

Nintendo Land is a freaking train wreck of usability. Way too much, look up, now look down, now have people hold the WiiMote vertically. Now hold it horizontally... now use the D-pad to seleciton something instead of pointing at it... The games were pretty fun, but people playing spent way too much time trading around controllers, picking their Mii, and so on. Also the auto on the tablet is out of sync with the home theater enough to be annoying as shit for everyone not using it. The Zelda game sucks (you can't see what is going to hit you) and the Pikmin game is just terrible. The other games are really fun though.

Speaking of Miis, what a freaking joke. The tablet is good for creating Miis, but overall they look like shit and the higher resolution just makes them look worse than they do on the Wii.

The Wind Waker tablet looks cheap and feels cheap. It is super light the gloss black looks terrible with the gold trim on it. Shitty battery life on the tablet at well, probably because the battery is tiny.

Wind Waker itself is nothing special. Too much lighting effects and washed out colors. It lost the super bright and clean color pallet of the original, replaced it with higher resolution and duller colors. It really lost its charm on me, I would rather place the GC version. Also I think it takes more time to look down and poke shit on the tablet compared to just using a menu on the screen. The whole "OMG second screen" got old very quickly, I would have rather just used the TV. And Wind Waker doesn't support remote play on the tablet /facepalm For a game Nintendo wants to sell at full retail price, they should have done better.

You can buy an extended battery pack for the Wii U gamepad for $35 from : http://www.play-asia.com/wii-u-gamepad-battery-pack-2550mah-paOS-13-49-en-70-6oan.html

It takes the battery life up to 8 hours (with power savings enabled) which is huge and it takes maybe 30 seconds to install. I think the reason you think the gamepad is cheap is because its lightweight but if it was heavier or more "solid" feeling I think it would have caused more hand strain over long term usage. Hell a 360 controller with a large NiHm battery pack weights more than the gamepad does yet no one complains about that. I have a large hands personally and love the wide gamepad , its absolutely comfortable for long term gaming sessions and that's something that drove me nuts about the tiny Wii mote's.

The gamepad screen is so much easier to use for inventory management in Wind Waker HD its kinda surprising to hear someone complain about it considering its been praised by gamers and reviewers alike for how functional it is in Wind Waker. The game also looks a ton better in 1080p on a large TV versus a 720p gamepad screen.

I think the price was an issue but they are already addressing it by lowering the cost of the system by $50 with the Wind Waker bundle making it a very attractive buy. Nintendo land is what it is , its not really what I would call a "full game" and more of a tech demo .. albeit a fun one.

The Wii U isn't for everyone but I think all the nice upgrades they made to Wind Waker HD without ruining the overall feel of it was a pretty well done task. Some of the changes are subtle , no question but I'm glad they didn't fuck with it and end up with a totally difference experience. The number one complaint was all the sailing and how long it took but they fixed that by offering a 50 percent upgrade in sailing speed which solves the problem. You can still glitch swimming however and travel super fast to different islands so if you can't stand it , there is a way (though its hard to pull off consistently) to bypass some of it.

Since you've only played two games on the Wii U , one of which was a hokey launch title packed in with the system I think you should try some of the gems coming out soon before passing judgement.

I bought the extended battery pack for the gamepad and let me say .. it really makes a HUGE difference to only have to charge it once after about two days of average (5+ hour session) usage. I think the short gamepad battery life is an issue that can be easily fixed with a small upgrade. Nintendo could have been assholes about it and completely sealed off the battery from being able to be upgraded (COUGH Apple COUGH) but they didn't which was a pretty smart move. I also don't believe its fair to ding Nintendo for the battery life on the gamepad , its got a friggin large touchscreen display on it and it actually looks really decent. I prefer playing virtual console games on it over my TV simply because it feels more natural. Nintendo chose to go for something that was more interactive then the standard controller and thank god it wasn't just a slightly upgraded version of the motion controllers from the Wii.

Last edited:
Here's just my $.02 I just bought a Wii U a few days ago, the Wind Waker bundle. My first impressions of it is about 2-3 years too late imo when compared to the competition. I for one really didn't like the Wii very much. I had a hard time dealing with 480p on my HDTV the only game I could even come close to tolerating was Super Mario Bros Wii. I'm also not a big fan of motion controls and the wiimote.

I mainly bought the Wii U so I could play with my family and Wind Waker. Having played it for about 2-3 days now. The Wii U addressed everything I hated about the Wii. With it using HDMI and being 1080p it atleast pleasant to look at. Another is a bunch of games support the pro controller.

Super Mario Bros Wii U now supports the pro controller, so I can use the pro controller while the rest use Wiimotes.

As far as Wind Waker its pretty much the same game with better visuals, which I don't think is a bad thing. I didn't use the gamepad very long with it and switched to the pro controller.

I do like the remote play feature of the gamepad, it lets my kids still play while the TV is being occupied. Which I didn't think was that big a deal before I got it, but found it be used quite a bit.

As far as the pro controller its an OK controller. I think it feels better then the PS3 controller, but I find the xbox 360 to be superior.

Already bought Disney Infinity for WiiU but don't own the console lol. Should be picking up my WiiU in the next few weeks. :D

I think when the ads start for mario kart / smash bro's, and the inevitable zelda / metroid, fanbois are going to try to go buy it for their Wii and finally realize that the Wii U is a new console.

Here's just my $.02 I just bought a Wii U a few days ago, the Wind Waker bundle. My first impressions of it is about 2-3 years too late imo when compared to the competition. I for one really didn't like the Wii very much. I had a hard time dealing with 480p on my HDTV the only game I could even come close to tolerating was Super Mario Bros Wii. I'm also not a big fan of motion controls and the wiimote.

I mainly bought the Wii U so I could play with my family and Wind Waker. Having played it for about 2-3 days now. The Wii U addressed everything I hated about the Wii. With it using HDMI and being 1080p it atleast pleasant to look at. Another is a bunch of games support the pro controller.

Super Mario Bros Wii U now supports the pro controller, so I can use the pro controller while the rest use Wiimotes.

As far as Wind Waker its pretty much the same game with better visuals, which I don't think is a bad thing. I didn't use the gamepad very long with it and switched to the pro controller.

I do like the remote play feature of the gamepad, it lets my kids still play while the TV is being occupied. Which I didn't think was that big a deal before I got it, but found it be used quite a bit.

As far as the pro controller its an OK controller. I think it feels better then the PS3 controller, but I find the xbox 360 to be superior.

I feel that the Wii U addressed my problems with the Wii as well. Nintendo had originally considered releasing a new console a few years ago when HD TVs really took hold, but they didn't feel it was fair to the Wii fanbase.

Ok you just press - to enable it, oops.

Also if they did a "Great job" it would be worth $50.

They did do a great job on it. They replaced the Tingle Tuner with Tingle Bottles, which allows you to send Pictograph pictures and whatnot. Also, I find they tweaked the controls, and re-recorded the music at a higher fidelity, and many textures were replaced. A higher difficulty "Hero Mode" was added, and a new sail is available to make sailing faster. The developers indicated that they made more changes, but those were smaller changes to make the gameplay more streamlined.

Also, I disagree with your assessment of Nintendoland. I love playing that game with a group of people.

Why the hell did Nintendo release this thing with no big games lined up for launch day and soon after?? It's been out ages now and still no must have games. Are they surprised it has bombed so badly?? Any console is only as good as the games available on it.

dont think Nintendo expected that the 3rd parties would dump the console like they did

Why the hell did Nintendo release this thing with no big games lined up for launch day and soon after?? It's been out ages now and still no must have games. Are they surprised it has bombed so badly?? Any console is only as good as the games available on it.

Every console has a drought after its release. Most people I talked to that owned an Xbox 360 at launch have told me that besides Oblivion, there really wasn't much worth playing on it for a year or so.

Well Nintendo's answer to PS4 and Xbox One is officially Super Mario 3D World with a release date of Nov 22.

Can the plumber save the struggling Wii U against the onslaught of heavyweights such as the Playstation 4 or Xbox One? Can he turn the tide with consumers who see him in Best Buy reminding them of childhood fantasies? Will Mario be able to get people to shell out 300+ dollars when comparing to systems an order of magnitude more powerful for 100 dollars?

61jf.png

Last edited:
Well Nintendo's answer to PS4 and Xbox One is officially Super Mario 3D World with a release date of Nov 22.

Can the plumber save the struggling Wii U against the onslaught of heavyweights such as the Playstation 4 or Xbox One? Can he turn the tide with consumers who see him in Best Buy reminding them of childhood fantasies? Will Mario be able to get people to shell out 300+ dollars when comparing to systems an order of magnitude more powerful for 100 dollars?

61jf.png

Will the PS4's exclusives make any impact on the gaming market? Will Killzone actually launch on the launch day of the console, despite no first party titles having a firm release date besides "holiday 2013", or "Launch window"? Will anyone give a shit about 3 rushed out console exclusives for the PS4? Will either the Xbox One or PS4 overcome the massive apathy the consumer base has for consoles (remember this poll? http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps4-beating-xbox-one-in-us-poll-6415108 it declares that the vast majority (64%) of responders don't want either a PS4 or Xbox One, and interest is even lower in Japan)?

Talk shit all you want, the PS4 actually has far fewer games coming out for it than the Wii U will have at the launch date.

Nintendo was caught by surprise how resource and time consuming creating HD games is. They are pretty much going through the same growth pains Xbox 360 and especially PS3 did when they were launched. But unlike those two Nintendo has to survive without the help of 3rd party support... again... something we (and Nintendo. there was supposed to be a huge 3rd party lineup at first if you remember the E3 reveals) hoped wouldnt be an issue this time

Nintendo was caught by surprise how resource and time consuming creating HD games is. They are pretty much going through the same growth pains Xbox 360 and especially PS3 did when they were launched. But unlike those two Nintendo has to survive without the help of 3rd party support... again... something we (and Nintendo. there was supposed to be a huge 3rd party lineup at first if you remember the E3 reveals) hoped wouldnt be an issue this time

The Wii U has better luck currently with third party developers this time, with Assassin's Creed 3 and 4, Call of Duty:BlOps2 and Ghost, Splinter Cell, Batman: Arkham Origins (I know it won't have the multiplayer. The multiplayer is being made by the developer of Brink, so I don't have high hopes for that anyways) and more coming out for it, but it did miss some big releases. Not nearly as much as the Wii has, though. When the third party really ramps up releases for the new consoles, and if the Wii U isn't seeing most of those, Nintendo better have their first party titles coming out at a steady rate.

Will the PS4's exclusives make any impact on the gaming market? Will Killzone actually launch on the launch day of the console, despite no first party titles having a firm release date besides "holiday 2013", or "Launch window"? Will anyone give a shit about 3 rushed out console exclusives for the PS4? Will either the Xbox One or PS4 overcome the massive apathy the consumer base has for consoles (remember this poll? http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps4-beating-xbox-one-in-us-poll-6415108 it declares that the vast majority (64%) of responders don't want either a PS4 or Xbox One, and interest is even lower in Japan)?

Talk shit all you want, the PS4 actually has far fewer games coming out for it than the Wii U will have at the launch date.

So a poll by one party has more relevance than historic setting preorders/forecasts, got it. The Nintendo Wii U has not sold worth a damn since it's release, the games you're talking about have not been worth picking up and we will have to see where Zelda and Mario take it.

In the UK alone experts are predicting both consoles will overtake total Wii U sales soon after the holidays. In less than a year the Xbox One and PS4 will have more titles than the Wii U, the only thing that matters right now for the big N is the next 6 months. They will have to sell an absolutely insane number of consoles to meet their forecasts.

In my opinion the best possible scenario for Nintendo would be selling around Gamecube levels but in order to hit that they are going to have to drastically lower the price of the console and let MSRP of their titles be 49.99 which won't happen.

Iwata and about 15 other people at Nintendo need to be fired as well.

So a poll by one party has more relevance than historic setting preorders/forecasts, got it. The Nintendo Wii U has not sold worth a damn since it's release, the games you're talking about have not been worth picking up and we will have to see where Zelda and Mario take it.

In the UK alone experts are predicting both consoles will overtake total Wii U sales soon after the holidays. In less than a year the Xbox One and PS4 will have more titles than the Wii U, the only thing that matters right now for the big N is the next 6 months. They will have to sell an absolutely insane number of consoles to meet their forecasts.

In my opinion the best possible scenario for Nintendo would be selling around Gamecube levels but in order to hit that they are going to have to drastically lower the price of the console and let MSRP of their titles be 49.99 which won't happen.

I LOVE how you complain about Nintendo, and have this massive blindspot for Sony. For Sony to meet their 9 million console sales by THEIR predictions, they have to sell roughly 3 million consoles in Japan. That number, by the way, is about 50 % of the PS3's lifetime sales in all of Japan. They're not even going to come close to selling this number, especially not in the timeframe that they are expecting. You're either going to get Sony glossing over the lack of sales, OR they're just going to straight up flood the distribution channels with unsold merchandise and only report "shipped" units, like they always do.

Bitch and moan about Nintendo, but by the time the PS4 or Xbox One actually have a strong library, they'll have a much more difficult and prominent Wii U to fight against.

Just watched the trailer for it.

I'll be getting a Wii-U on November 22nd.

I was going to wait until Fire Emblem x SMT but that game looks like the fat note.

Ps4 and Xboxone however offer nothing too me except worse versions of my PC games.

thread will have to renamed to The Wii U is just getting started or something along those lines.

I LOVE how you complain about Nintendo, and have this massive blindspot for Sony. For Sony to meet their 9 million console sales by THEIR predictions, they have to sell roughly 3 million consoles in Japan. That number, by the way, is about 50 % of the PS3's lifetime sales in all of Japan. They're not even going to come close to selling this number, especially not in the timeframe that they are expecting. You're either going to get Sony glossing over the lack of sales, OR they're just going to straight up flood the distribution channels with unsold merchandise and only report "shipped" units, like they always do.

Bitch and moan about Nintendo, but by the time the PS4 or Xbox One actually have a strong library, they'll have a much more difficult and prominent Wii U to fight against.

What did you do divide their projections by 1/3 and say Japan needs to meet it? IIRC they are projecting 5 million units sold by March '14 (500,000 more than lifetime Wii U sales in 4 1/2 months ), Japan is only going to have 2 months or so.

So.

Sony has to meet 5 million worldwide sales by March 2014 and analysts are already saying around 1.8m in the UK alone. Somehow I am not overly worried about Sony meeting their expectations. I'd be more concerned about Nintendo selling 6.8 MILLION consoles between now and March.

Nintendo is never going to be a match for them at this point. Did you see the image that I used earlier? Even Mario Kart and Smash Bros won't help them at this point. Will they see a bump? Sure, but they will never compete with either console unless they drop the Wii U and go with a Super Wii U HD Edition based off an AMD APU.

Nintendo folks are looking through rose colored lenses. Coherent fans realize that, and dont care as long as they have their Mario once a year.

Nintendo folks are looking through rose colored lenses. Coherent fans realize that, and dont care as long as they have their Mario once a year.

Well that is what they want after all. Third party support for the Wii was basically trash compared to the PS3 and XBox. Nintendo titles kept the Wii going. Just means Nintendo has painted themselves into a corner where their console live and dies based on their software releases. For the Wii-U, they screwed up by not having killer titles available early enough.

If anyone wants a huge amount of third party support, they aren't going to get that on the Wii-U and they likely already know that.

Last edited:
What did you do divide their projections by 1/3 and say Japan needs to meet it? IIRC they are projecting 5 million units sold by March '14 (500,000 more than lifetime Wii U sales in 4 1/2 months ), Japan is only going to have 2 months or so.

So.

Sony has to meet 5 million worldwide sales by March 2014 and analysts are already saying around 1.8m in the UK alone. Somehow I am not overly worried about Sony meeting their expectations. I'd be more concerned about Nintendo selling 6.8 MILLION consoles between now and March.

Nintendo is never going to be a match for them at this point. Did you see the image that I used earlier? Even Mario Kart and Smash Bros won't help them at this point. Will they see a bump? Sure, but they will never compete with either console unless they drop the Wii U and go with a Super Wii U HD Edition based off an AMD APU.

First, the 9 million prediction I had originally been comparing (can't find the article anymore, but it was for 5 or 6 months after release) seems to have been a misprint. The 5 million sales prediction is more realistic, but honestly, I don't see their sales getting that high by that point, or selling nearly as many as they think they will. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have been basing their sales on the launches of the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 (not so much the PS3, because that had an extremely slow start too), and honestly there's not a thing that would indicate any of these predictions will hold up. Neither Sony or Microsoft have the software lineup to support those kinds of sales, and the Video game market isn't what it used to be.

Sony is relying on it's existing, third string franchises to propel it's sales to 5 million units in a few months? At least MS is trying some new things (with some lackluster games, but still), and even then they have slightly more realistic sales predictions. And even then, I'll say this like I've said before: The last console to sell consistantly high for the full first year was the Wii. The PS2 sales weren't even that high for the first year. And yet Sony thinks that their PS4 will sell so well, that they'll see sales right away that they've never seen before? With Gran Tourismo coming out this holiday season for their previous console, they're going to see the PS4 get a good start, and then fall almost immediately into the same low sales every console has seen 2 months out. The Ps3 and Xbox 360 have unusually high amounts of games still slated to come out for them, and that has a high likelyhood of cutting off the next gen sales at the knees.

Just watched the trailer for it.

I'll be getting a Wii-U on November 22nd.

I was going to wait until Fire Emblem x SMT but that game looks like the fat note.

Ps4 and Xboxone however offer nothing too me except worse versions of my PC games.

thread will have to renamed to The Wii U is just getting started or something along those lines.

Super Mario 3D World does look to be one of the best games coming out for the season. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

FYI, there is a new trailer up for the game that just came out this week, and it's a lot better than the one that was released at E3.

I'm not holding my breath for Fire Emblem x SMT. They don't even have a release date for it yet.

Well that is what they want after all. Third party support for the Wii was basically trash compared to the PS3 and XBox. Nintendo titles kept the Wii going. Just means Nintendo has painted themselves into a corner where their console live and dies based on their software releases. For the Wii-U, they screwed up by not having killer titles available early enough.

If anyone wants a huge amount of third party support, they aren't going to get that on the Wii-U and they likely already know that.

Wii U does have better third party support than the Wii, but it's not yet at the same support Sony or Microsoft were getting. It's surprisingly not as far off as it seems, though.

I'm not holding my breath for Fire Emblem x SMT. They don't even have a release date for it yet.

I know and with Atlus getting purchased by Sega that might slow things down even more.

I was always going to buy a Wii-U so getting it now vs getting it a year from now shouldn't cost me too much 50 bucks more maybe.

That Mario looks like an awesome mix between Mario 64 and new Mario and my wife should like it to. Finding games for both of us to play is a rare thing.

I know and with Atlus getting purchased by Sega that might slow things down even more.

I was always going to buy a Wii-U so getting it now vs getting it a year from now shouldn't cost me too much 50 bucks more maybe.

That Mario looks like an awesome mix between Mario 64 and new Mario and my wife should like it to. Finding games for both of us to play is a rare thing.

That's how I feel about that Mario game too. My wife will probably be happy that they finally allow you to play as Peach as well. Although she is a gamer too, so we often do find games to play together a lot anyways.

Lol i think the Wii U is going to struggle fighting to stay alive. Nintendo is no threat at this point to either Sony or Microsoft.

At this exact point Wii-U is sucking ass. And Wii-U isn't on the same level or geared to the exact same market so it never will be a true competitor to PS3, PS4, xbox360 or one.

But there is a whole new story to be told after the Christmas season. Assuming Mario is as bad ass as it looks with the right advertising it could steal much of the Christmas cheer...Its pushing me to buy it sooner then expected and there are likely others in the same boat.

At this exact point Wii-U is sucking ass. And Wii-U isn't on the same level or geared to the exact same market so it never will be a true competitor to PS3, PS4, xbox360 or one.

But there is a whole new story to be told after the Christmas season. Assuming Mario is as bad ass as it looks with the right advertising it could steal much of the Christmas cheer...Its pushing me to buy it sooner then expected and there are likely others in the same boat.

The Wii -U is struggling to survive...i dont see nintendo selling infrastructure and laying off huge portions of their dev teams, if anybody/anything is clawing at threads to survive its sony

The Wii -U is struggling to survive...i dont see nintendo selling infrastructure and laying off huge portions of their dev teams, if anybody/anything is clawing at threads to survive its sony

MS isn't doing to well either.

and even if Wii-U is a huge failure and great games don't sell the console....Nintendo will still be fine.

Who said Nintendo was going under? A failed console won't kill them unless they do something else stupid with their next console. Luckily they have the handheld marker in lock which gives them a strong revenue stream.

Thread title is the Wii U is done, not Nintendo.

If any of the 3 console makers are going under it's Sony, for reasons that have very little to do with consoles.

Lately I've been thinking Nintendo is the most likely long term survivor in the gaming console business. Games for kids is a viable business model even if they lose the adults.

If anything happens during or after this generation I figure it'll be no more PlayStation because Sony went bust or no more Xbox console because MS added so many non-gaming features it can no longer fairly be called a gaming console.

If any of the 3 console makers are going under it's Sony, for reasons that have very little to do with consoles.

Lately I've been thinking Nintendo is the most likely long term survivor in the gaming console business. Games for kids is a viable business model even if they lose the adults.

If anything happens during or after this generation I figure it'll be no more PlayStation because Sony went bust or no more Xbox console because MS added so many non-gaming features it can no longer fairly be called a gaming console.

No just, No. The ONLY reason PS3 didn't completely wipe the floor with Wii last gen was it's initial pricing, and lack of an innovative motion controller. So the PS4 remedies every hurdle this time around. You don't think so? Check the facts.

Also remember the PS3 was 400.00 fricking dollars more than a Wii back in the day, and hundreds more than an XBOX360. You remember that, correct? This gen only 100.00 dollars seperates the two (WiiU/PS4) come launch day. The PS4 is an insane value when you look at CPU/GPU/BluRay 4k Player. Compared to a WiiU system, it makes it look like a handheld or did Nintendo do that?

There will be an almost instantaneous adoption of the PS4 unlike the PS3 which took 2+ years to take off. XBOX 1 is also overpriced this gen, unlike last gen. :eek: This stuff is staring you right in the face and you think PS4 won't be the KING of this gen? Based on what, your wishful thinking? No just NO.

That means the WiiU will soon be destroyed like the Gamecube/PS2 days.

Enter the new era.

Sony has done this before, and they are going to do it again like ninjas bro.

Hell, you didn't even see them coming. ;)

Last edited:
No just, No. The ONLY reason PS3 didn't completely wipe the floor with Wii last gen was it's initial pricing, and lack of an innovative motion controller. So the PS4 remedies every hurdle this time around. You don't think so? Check the facts.

Also remember the PS3 was 400.00 fricking dollars more than a Wii back in the day, and hundreds more than an XBOX360. You remember that, correct? This gen only 100.00 dollars seperates the two (WiiU/PS4) come launch day. The PS4 is an insane value when you look at CPU/GPU/BluRay 4k Player. Compared to a WiiU system, it makes it look like a handheld or did Nintendo do that?

There will be an almost instantaneous adoption of the PS4 unlike the PS3 which took 2+ years to take off. XBOX 1 is also overpriced this gen, unlike last gen. :eek: This stuff is staring you right in the face and you think PS4 won't be the KING of this gen? Based on what, your wishful thinking? No just NO.

That means the WiiU will soon be destroyed like the Gamecube/PS2 days.

Enter the new era.

Sony has done this before, and they are going to do it again like ninjas bro.

Hell, you didn't even see them coming. ;)
do you even have any idea what the hell you are talking about? here, let me quote the important part for you:

Please note the bold. Yes, the PS4 has superior hardware to the Wii U, no one is disputing that. However Sony just had to sell their US headquarters to pay debt, whereas Nintendo could take ~200 million loss for the next 50 years before they'd run out of cash. Nintendo has a war chest. Sony does not. The PS4 is designed to not run them the same losses as before because Sony can't take another $300 hit per console like they did with the PS3.

I wouldn't worry about Sony at the moment, from the looks of it they are taking most of the right steps to correct their previous decade of mistakes in most all of their markets. PS4 just being the entertainment side of it. They really need to address their TV segment though, Westinghouse, Vizio and other lower range brands are bringing exceptional products to the market at good values.

Microsoft is not going anywhere and neither is Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft will still fight for the majority of the market and Nintendo like always will have their niche.

I would really like to see a Nintendo console that is just as powerful as either of the big two though, they pretty much stagnated over 10 years ago.

do you even have any idea what the hell you are talking about? here, let me quote the important part for you:

Please note the bold. Yes, the PS4 has superior hardware to the Wii U, no one is disputing that. However Sony just had to sell their US headquarters to pay debt, whereas Nintendo could take ~200 million loss for the next 50 years before they'd run out of cash. Nintendo has a war chest. Sony does not. The PS4 is designed to not run them the same losses as before because Sony can't take another $300 hit per console like they did with the PS3.

You just agreed with him. That Sony is going under. Be that guy Rizen.

All I'm saying is WiiU is a Gamecube when it comes to sales, and they can do nothing to change it in the future that will turn it into original Wii sales. I don't want to confuse you.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about Sony at the moment, from the looks of it they are taking most of the right steps to correct their previous decade of mistakes in most all of their markets. PS4 just being the entertainment side of it. They really need to address their TV segment though, Westinghouse, Vizio and other lower range brands are bringing exceptional products to the market at good values.

Microsoft is not going anywhere and neither is Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft will still fight for the majority of the market and Nintendo like always will have their niche.

I would really like to see a Nintendo console that is just as powerful as either of the big two though, they pretty much stagnated over 10 years ago.

I would worry about Sony. They are betting EVERYTHING on the PS4 being the generational leader of the consoles this time around. They are losing $60 for every PS4 made (despite being cheaper than the Xbox One) and the Wii U is already netting profit for Nintendo (since its cheaper to make and they haven't wasted huge amounts of money on marketing) and most of the PS4's line up is almost exactly the same as the Xbox One's with the exception of maybe 2 games right at launch (not counting download only Indie exclusives). Sony is very much on the brink and can not endure another 8 year long "recovery" they never came despite all the reassurance to shareholders (in other words , outright lying) the PS3 is still considered a failure as a console in terms of being profitable and as a media format that is now being replaced by streaming media services.

Sony has more to lose than any other console manufacturer period. Comparing its possible failure to Wii U's possible failure is futile. Nintendo was the real victor of the current generation selling more than either of its competitors. The fact that the PS3 and 360 have better (far better) third party support and games doesn't change that. Even though the Wii's library was a massive amount of tripe , it tapped into that rare and very profitable sector of the market .. the casual market. Thanks to our hugely incompetent Government we'll likely be in for a nice deep economic hit thanks to the shut down which for already cash strapped society will make it even harder to swallow that more expensive console and especially for parents looking to do their shopping on a tighter budget than last year.

All I'm saying is WiiU is a Gamecube when it comes to sales, and they can do nothing to change it in the future that will turn it into original Wii sales. I don't want to confuse you.

The Wii U has been out almost a year. The average console cycle is now 10 years. Your argument is invalid until at least year 5.

Last edited:
The Wii U has been out almost a year. The average console cycle is now 10 years. Your argument is invalid until at least year 5.

No, the average is still 5 years. You can't make an average based on a single number, especially when there are other numbers to add into that average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back