The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: WB Interactive has confirmed to IGN that Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer will only be available for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. "The team is focusing development efforts on platforms with the largest multiplayer audience," says a WB Interactive spokesperson.

Sounds like most of the development work on the Wii-U version of the game was done before it really became obvious the system was going to flop and big name devs were pulling out and cancelling titles, and now with the benefit of hindsight and most of the work already done for the SP campaign they're going to box it up and ship it because why not but won't waste another development dime they won't see a return on.

To be a Wii-U owner right now as its future seems to be swirling the drain, I understand the frustration because I once owned a 3DO. I think what mainly killed the Wii-U's future was the poor hardware specs and gimmick controller.

Last edited:
"my dog ate my homework"

It's a sad excuse, copying is standard in all industries. They have had their ideas used in obvious examples such as Mario Kart > (insert new sub genre), Mario 64 > (insert new genre), Wii Sports > (insert new sub genre), Analog Thumbsticks > (insert new gameplay methods), etc.

But they haven't done anything "new" since the Nintendo 64 and Mario 64/Thumbstick. They certainly have not had any new IP's in decades so maybe they can release a new game that has a completely new franchise character, new genre, using an un-intrusive control method that makes use of the control pad that sets a new standard in interactive entertainment.

Then again I'm probably blowing smoke up everyones asses.

To be a Wii-U owner right now as its future seems to be swirling the drain, I understand the frustration because I once owned a 3DO. I think what mainly killed the Wii-U's future was the poor hardware specs and gimmick controller.

The Wii had weak hardware and a gimmick controller also, but it had Metroid, Mario Kart, and Smash come out pretty quickly. Of those games only Metriod even required the gimmick controller - and used it well too IMHO. If Nintendo had already released FUN games in their big franchises the slow sales probably never would have happened.

I hope they redo the Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD. I would buy it in a second. The Wii controls were fabulous for that game. Wii controls for that game were NOT a gimmick. The pointer is epic.

I hope they redo the Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD. I would buy it in a second. The Wii controls were fabulous for that game. Wii controls for that game were NOT a gimmick. The pointer is epic.

I own the prime trilogy that was released for wii as well as the individual games. I'd buy it again in HD in a heartbeat.

I think Nintendo has reached critical mass on redoing games. I like the original Metroid Prime so much I wrote a guide for Gamefaqs, but I wouldn't buy it again after already buying it again for the Wii. Just like I wouldn't buy Ocarina of time again.

Last edited:
I think Nintendo has reached critical mass on redoing games. I like the original Metroid Prime so much I wrote a guide for Gamefaqs, but I wouldn't buy it again after already buying it again for the Wii. Just like I wouldn't buy Ocarina of time again.

My god man you would not by an HD Prime Remake? I would. For posterity and in the interest of preserving our favorite games in HD.

My god man you would not by an HD Prime Remake? I would. For posterity and in the interest of preserving our favorite games in HD.

If they announce a Metroid Prime remake in HD I would buy the Wii-U in a fucking heart beat WITHOUT hesitation.

Metroid is honestly a far more respected and beloved franchise than even Mario at this point. The Metroid IP is honestly on par with the Zelda IP and it baffles me as to why Nintendo treats it like a red headed step child.

If Nintendo wants to become the only major console to solely make its nut based off its own original first party titles it should be grinding them out and exciting fans with there development in progress. Instead all we get is small bits and pieces of what games we can expect next.

Nintendo still thinks that its the 1990's and they can dick around with their gamer base and the media and not feel any kind of sting. They barely understand that its the world of the "instant" news and that people are waiting for announcements in magazines , they are just waiting for some kind of confirmation that there favorite franchises are being worked on. That single bit of information would line people up ready to buy Wii-U's. I mean for fuck sakes you still need FRIEND CODES ..

I think Adam Sessler nailed it when he talked about how Nintendo exec's don't have the mind set of the modern world and that they basically do whatever they want and feel they won't be risking their fanbase or reputation either.

If they announce a Metroid Prime remake in HD I would buy the Wii-U in a fucking heart beat WITHOUT hesitation.

Metroid is honestly a far more respected and beloved franchise than even Mario at this point. The Metroid IP is honestly on par with the Zelda IP and it baffles me as to why Nintendo treats it like a red headed step child.

Only in the west. In Japan Metroid never really caught on, or atleast not with the same force as Zelda and Mario. Or so I have understood.

I would buy HD remakes of Primes without hestitation. 1 and 2 are one of my fav games ever and 3 was badass aswell. I did skip the Wii Trilogy pack, or atleast so far. I have been waiting for a good deal to get one. :)

The Wii had weak hardware and a gimmick controller also, but it had Metroid, Mario Kart, and Smash come out pretty quickly. Of those games only Metriod even required the gimmick controller - and used it well too IMHO. If Nintendo had already released FUN games in their big franchises the slow sales probably never would have happened.

It was a fad, the perfect example of a fad. Old people were buying the left and right, playing wii sports twice, and letting them sit in the cabinet.

There is a pawn shop by my house selling wiis with controller and cable for 15 bucks. They literally have 100 of them in thier store.

Only in the west. In Japan Metroid never really caught on, or atleast not with the same force as Zelda and Mario. Or so I have understood.

I would buy HD remakes of Primes without hestitation. 1 and 2 are one of my fav games ever and 3 was badass aswell. I did skip the Wii Trilogy pack, or atleast so far. I have been waiting for a good deal to get one. :)

Metroid is extremely popular in Japan its just that it isn't capitalized AT all compared to Mario and Zelda. Hit any of the Japanese fanboy forums and you'll see tons of chatter and requests about more Metroid titles. Nintendo has completely stunted Metroid's growth in the last 5+ years.

The one thing Nintendo could do to easily boost sales and make the core group happy is release a Metroid 3DS game that is either Super Metroid or the sequel in 2D side scrolling form. The last Metroid was a total mess , giving it to a third party developer like Team Ninja was dumb.

Even if Metroid wasn't as popular in Japan , its EXTREMELY popular in the west. Very few gaming heroes from the 80's and 90's were female (in the sense that they weren't damsel in distress or fumbling sluts with giant super unrealistic figures) and I'm sure almost all female console gamers have Samus on their personal favorite heroes of gaming.

Like I said though Nintendo is sticking to the same formula its been using since the NES. Puke out the usual first party suspects (minus Pikmin which is newer) and sit back , but obviously that tactic is done and is failing this generation.

Metroid is extremely popular in Japan its just that it isn't capitalized AT all compared to Mario and Zelda. Hit any of the Japanese fanboy forums and you'll see tons of chatter and requests about more Metroid titles. Nintendo has completely stunted Metroid's growth in the last 5+ years.

The one thing Nintendo could do to easily boost sales and make the core group happy is release a Metroid 3DS game that is either Super Metroid or the sequel in 2D side scrolling form. The last Metroid was a total mess , giving it to a third party developer like Team Ninja was dumb.

Even if Metroid wasn't as popular in Japan , its EXTREMELY popular in the west. Very few gaming heroes from the 80's and 90's were female (in the sense that they weren't damsel in distress or fumbling sluts with giant super unrealistic figures) and I'm sure almost all female console gamers have Samus on their personal favorite heroes of gaming.

Like I said though Nintendo is sticking to the same formula its been using since the NES. Puke out the usual first party suspects (minus Pikmin which is newer) and sit back , but obviously that tactic is done and is failing this generation.

Animal Crossing is newer than the NES as well, as well as Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, and so on. Nintendo actually does create new franchises fairly frequently, they just don't create new IPs that often. They don't feel that new IPs are that important, but a lot of people don't agree with them.

Honestly, it's not the lack of new franchises or IPs that's hurting them, it's not having games available quickly enough, and not marketting the new console well. New franchises would definitely help, but just... Games, period.

I think the concern is that they may think HD graphics alone will sell their systems. Mario 3D U will be great, no doubt, but will it sell systems?

They can't reinvent the wheel--some of these game mechanics are near perfect, but they really need fresh ideas and visual concepts to sell the system.

they really need fresh ideas and visual concepts to sell the system.

Or they just need to crank out the games. I think a lot of people would buy in even if a lot of the games were HD remakes. That could move some consoles while Nintendo start getting new games up to speed.

I swear to god if they would have called it Wii 2 they would have moved more units by now. Nobody can even get their mind around the thing.

I swear to god if they would have called it Wii 2 they would have moved more units by now. Nobody can even get their mind around the thing.

Indeed. People who are not citizens of the internetz are largely unaware what WiiU actually is. Quite a lot think its just an expensive addon for Wii.

Indeed. People who are not citizens of the internetz are largely unaware what WiiU actually is. Quite a lot think its just an expensive addon for Wii.

My sister thought it was a Wii bundled with a new DS:

Ocellaris: Hey did he ask for a Wii U for his birthday?
Sister: We already have a Wii and a DSi, we don't need to buy them again. No one uses the old DS anyway.

I was asking because I would be the person that would need to set it up. Plus I wanted to mess with a Wii-U...

Last edited:
You think Wii U is a worse name than Xbox One?

I think XBox One is a terrible name. It makes absolutely NO sense. Why would they call it XBOX one when it is in fact XBOX 3.

I mean I thought graphics cards were poorly named, but holy god, Sony is the only one is making a damn bit of sense here. What sounds better, 8800GTX or GTX 680. Wii or Wii U?

As for the Wii U, it is even worse than XBOX One simply because the targeted demographic, aside for die hard Nintendo fans like yours truly, is decidedly younger and incapable of purchasing for themselves, or older and incapable of recognizing the distinction, in which case confused parents must go out into the world (who really don't care what their kid is playing anyway) and distinguish Wii U from Wii, from Wii Fit, ect. Who is to say Wii U is not a peripheral for Wii. And since the console's form factor is similar, notwithstanding the controller, you are talking about just a whole mess of confusion. I think the name might actually be the BIGGEST problem long term.

Call it Wii 2, and even the dumbest parents can grasp the concept. Sort of like you know, Iron Man Two, Spider Man Two, Men in Black 2, Star Trek II.

Who was a better president, George Herbert Walker Bush or George Walker Bush? Wait who was the first one? Oh you mean Bush 1 or Bush 2? Ahh now we can have a conversation.

Similarly, you do not send mommy out to Toys R Us to go buy the Wii U and expect to get the right one. Or get one at all. Try selling mommy on the need for it when you already have the Wii or probably a DS. At that price? Oh my god.

XBOX One is not that much better. Why would XBOX One be better than XBOX 360. BMW has a One series car, guess what, it is newer, but not as good as the 3 series. Yet it makes sense. I mean I suppose since the original XBOX is no longer on sale, it is idiot proof, but it still makes no sense.

It is just another win for Sony. Playstation 4. Yes, I get it. I have not owned a playstation since playstation 2. This is two generations newer than my last playstation. I get it.

How about Wii HD! Call it what it is for the love of god.

Last edited:
Wii HD would have been simple and gotten the point across. People understand the term HD and they want it, even if they still can't set aspect ratios correctly on their TVs.

The Wii U was dead the moment EA announced Madden wasn't coming to the system this year. If a publisher is concerned about making money with a football game that sells extremely well every year, you have a huge problem.

The Wii U was dead the moment EA announced Madden wasn't coming to the system this year. If a publisher is concerned about making money with a football game that sells extremely well every year, you have a huge problem.

wait what? Madden 13 didn't even make million sales for any console it was released on

Madden 13 sales are lackluster at best

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70680/madden-nfl-13/

Actually Madden did do over a million on multiple platforms
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Madden+NFL+13

You only have the vita numbers on that link. Also VGChartz is really bad with their numbers they aren't based on NPD or any of the major retail charting groups (Japan being the exception with Famitsu publishing those to the public). Yep they are all private and cost a lot to get their reports.

PS Not a big fan of where Madden has been going so I am not an apologist for it. The last NFL game I liked was NFL Head Coach 2009 bugs and all.

I really think people are under-estimating the power of smash brothers and mariokart. Next year will be interesting for Wii U.

This year we're finally getting the games we should have had at release. I'm sure that will count for something

I really think people are under-estimating the power of smash brothers and mariokart. Next year will be interesting for Wii U.

This year we're finally getting the games we should have had at release. I'm sure that will count for something

I don't think Mario Kart and Smash Brothers can move a $350 console when the PS4 is only $50 more.

wait what? Madden 13 didn't even make million sales for any console it was released on

Madden 13 sales are lackluster at best

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70680/madden-nfl-13/

VG Chartz sucks, and you are looking at the Vita as well....

EA announced today that more than 1.65 million copies of Madden NFL 13 were sold during the game’s first week on sale. Just last week, EA announced that Madden had a record-breaking first day, and the franchise has now had its best first week of this console generation.
Source

Sounds like it's doing better than it has in a while.. just not on Wii U.

Want further proof of how little faith EA has in the Wii U? It's not even porting Fifa 14 to Wii U. Fifa 14 is seeing release on everything else including the Vita/3ds/Wii and Android/iphone. Fifa is one of the best selling games in the world, to not release on Wii U shows absolute lack of confidence.

I don't think Mario Kart and Smash Brothers can move a $350 console when the PS4 is only $50 more.

VG Chartz sucks, and you are looking at the Vita as well....

Source

Sounds like it's doing better than it has in a while.. just not on Wii U.

Want further proof of how little faith EA has in the Wii U? It's not even porting Fifa 14 to Wii U. Fifa 14 is seeing release on everything else including the Vita/3ds/Wii and Android/iphone. Fifa is one of the best selling games in the world, to not release on Wii U shows absolute lack of confidence.

did they sell a million on any console? nope and thus as such, they cannot even compete with ratchet and clank tools of destruction at 1.25m on the PS3

Nintendo isn't missing anything due to madden 13... Nintendo is missing out because they have failed to release their own first parrty titles that have proven time and time again to sell like hot cakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back