The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is fail. Everyone who hasn't owned or played a Wii U seemed to be posting. There are third party games out and coming. There are quite a few games coming out this month. EA are being d-bags about crysis 3. But who cares there are so many ways to play most of the major titles I don't think the Wii U will miss this one.

And people saying the gamepad doesn't have a use have not played games with it. Every game does something different.

BLOPS2 - you can play on TV or the gamepad. In multiplayer you can play split screen on TV or one person on gamepad one on TV. In game you can use the screen to change and customize loadouts on the gamepad while playing.

Zombie U your gamepad screen is your lifeline all your inventory and supplies are there.

Monster hunter again inventory changes and health healing right there.

Nintendo land has many multiplayer aspects that use the gamepad to play assist and more.

In apps like Netflix hulu YouTube, you have control of the apps on the gamepad without disturbing the TV screen or you can watch them on the gamepad by itself.

The web browser is also used on there or the TV and I might add that it is really fast browser that works really well.

It does allot and there are games coming out now that are good.

X1000

Nintendo does have 3rd party support, or atleast that was one of the things they advertised in their release conference last year, showing a huge list of developers that were going to release games for the system. That was the reason (combined with intriguing controller) why I felt safe being early adopter because I didnt want another Wii with few first party titles but nothing more.

Now if Nintendo has botched them up with poorly handled burocracy and backroom politics, I have no idea. (the Crysis thing was news to me)

I don't own a Wii U yet but I look forward to getting it one day soon.

Platinum makes some of the best games I've played and with Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 coming to Wii U, it will be hard for me to ignore.

Nevermind Pikmin 3 and Luigi's Mansion 2

When the PS4/Nextbox debut in holiday 2013 for $400+ each and the Wii U is cheaper (maybe a price drop as well) and will have a bunch of games out for it by that time, I think once again the cheaper console will sell well. There will be a lot of parents who walk into the store and base their decision simply on price.

As for the Crysis 3 news, there's a simple rule in gaming that's true - always blame EA. You couldn't think of a worse, more greedy company.

I realize that Wii U is not as powerful as the new generation... but I will laugh hard when developers make cross-platform games and they all look the same. Laugh So Hard!!!!

I realize that Wii U is not as powerful as the new generation... but I will laugh hard when developers make cross-platform games and they all look the same. Laugh So Hard!!!!

It always happens, first gen 360 , PS3 ports looked similar to PS2 and Xbox games and same goes for games like AC3,BLOPS2, mass effect 3 on Wii u and 360,PS3. Watch dogs and AC4 and other cross platform games this fall will be similar as well.

Its the second year and on games that make systems shine.

Do I have a WiiU now, nope. Will I probably get one in the future.. yeah. Why? Because my girls love the Wii. I couldn't care less about FPS games, which seem to be the majority of games all the "the WiiU is doomed" types want to talk about. I want a casual gaming system that the whole family can enjoy. My oldest daughter is 7 and I've had her playing emulator games on a PC for a couple years now and even after a year she still likes the Wii controllers over the standard crappy gamepad (ugghh.. whoever thought up a game controller with two pivotal joysticks needs to be shot).

Yes, a lot of people think the Wii controller is gimmicky... but personally I enjoy it and my girls love them. Keeps them up and moving instead of just sitting on their tails. Considering my daughter will play Skylanders on an almost every-other day basis with me, the systems seem like they hit the intended spot. So sorry they don't live up the hardcore gamers. Then again, can you really call yourself hardcore if you are on a console and not using a PC for gaming anyways :p

It always happens, first gen 360 , PS3 ports looked similar to PS2 and Xbox games and same goes for games like AC3,BLOPS2, mass effect 3 on Wii u and 360,PS3. Watch dogs and AC4 and other cross platform games this fall will be similar as well.

Its the second year and on games that make systems shine.

Actually development for Watch Dogs on PS3/720 hasn't even started yet. They are making it a next gen first then downgrading it (or whatever you want to call it) for the PS3/360.

X1000

Nintendo does have 3rd party support, or atleast that was one of the things they advertised in their release conference last year, showing a huge list of developers that were going to release games for the system. That was the reason (combined with intriguing controller) why I felt safe being early adopter because I didnt want another Wii with few first party titles but nothing more.

Now if Nintendo has botched them up with poorly handled burocracy and backroom politics, I have no idea. (the Crysis thing was news to me)

Well, some news I read yesterday indicaated the WiiU Crysis 3 port was more or less finished (developed internally by Crytek), but they couldn't get Nintendos permission to, you know, release the game.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30640-crysis-3-was-up--running-on-wii-u

And more then a few developers have already announced they are re-evaluating the WiiU due to its low sales, which is basically the same problem the Dreamcast dealt with.

More telling is the lack of new, next-gen IP. The fact the WiiU is dependent on slightly upgraded re-releases of old games is very telling. You don't see a SINGLE publisher taking a chance on a big budget new IP. And that is why the WiiU is going to fail third party wise, just like the N64, Gamecube, and Wii.

It's the second year and on games that make systems shine.

If this is true it kind of makes this entire thread moot, doesn't it? (I agree with most of your points, so far, so don't take that as me lumping you in with the doom and gloomers).

If this is true it kind of makes this entire thread moot, doesn't it? (I agree with most of your points, so far, so don't take that as me lumping you in with the doom and gloomers).

Thanks. With the new virtual console and its gamepad play and the games coming out I think the system will be just fine. I already have AC4 pre ordered for mine. The system got a stability update today and the promised extra features and speed update is coming next month. Will also probably pick up the walking dead game and monster hunter this month.

i don't think even the japanese consumers can/will save them this time around as evident with apple's huge success there. i don't know anyone that has a 360/ps3 that wants a wii u. lets be honest here the only reason the wii sold so much was because it was so damn cheap compare to the newly released ps3 which boasted that $600 price tag and the 360 which was somewhere in the range $350-400+ i believe.

Apple's "huge" success in Japan isn't nearly as "huge" as people paint it to be. It's huge in Tokyo, it's not huge in Japan. I still count more people playing with a 3DS on a train here than I do with an iphone. This is a country where sony's smartphones do well because of brand loyalty.

Also, you won't really see Apple take off in Japan until there's a iphone offered through Docomo. AU and Softbank are horrendous in comparison, to the point where some diehard apple fans will buy an iphone and data plan on AU or Softbank and then use their Docomo phone as their main contact phone. But while that does happen, it's not nearly as common as a lot of people like to think.

they made the mistake of thinking that if they were first to market this time around they could capitalize on being first just like the 360 did. as developer myself, i can get my software in more people's hands by developing for iOS/android as it is where the hardcore and casual gamers now meet.

I don't think this was Nintendo's plan at all. Releasing a knowingly weaker console with the hopes of being the generation standard doesn't seem like a blunder Nintendo would make (and they do make blunders, I'm not saying they don't). I think releasing it early was more due to them being ready to release what they had been working on, and getting it into developers hands before the PS4/720 so that they were familiar enough to develop for it by the time the other systems became relevant.

And your iOS argument works against all the major platforms, not just Nintendo. The big fact is that after the PS4/720, developing for the consoles will have to be made much easier and much more accessible to smaller devs in order to compete with Android/Apple.

is this the end of nintendo? of course not they can and will always profits from there ips but as far as consoles and handhelds are concern this may be it. like i said in my previous post i am no fortune teller so i will just take the wait and see approach.

Considering their 3DS is doing extremely well (compared to the DS, it's very close to if not even for sales, and that's with one less holiday season under its belt) and Sony is in just as much of a financial pickle (even more so with the Vita, which really is floundering), I don't think Nintendo will throw the Sega towel just yet.

If the Wii U has horrible sales for the next two quarters I'd say it will get very intresting because of the (by then) PS4 and 720 releases.

Plus do you really need a bluray player? Get one for few ten bucks, they are everywhere.
More people would make use of a BR player than a wii-u, sad but true.

LOL, at people thinking the Wii U isn't going to be a monumental failure.

Sales have plummeted. It's selling worse than the PS Vita now. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/27/vita-outsold-wii-u-in-japan-last-week

Even when they get a popular 3rd party game like Crysis 3 made for their system, they botch the deal and it doesn't get released. http://kotaku.com/5988140/wii-u-can-handle-crysis-3-and-almost-did-says-crytek-head
+1
They're delusional :(

The lack of a Blu-Ray player isn't really a big deal to me, although whatever kind of drive the WiiU has in it definitely isn't very quick.
Right now I'd say casual viewers are more interested in streaming than Blu-Ray disks, or at least they're getting that way more and more. That's one of the main reasons I really wish Nintendo licensed out some kind of surround audio codec or at least convined Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. to bundle a codec in their WiiU apps. Clearly the WiiU is shooting to be a media hub as much as a game system, so why not flesh it out properly?

More people would make use of a BR player than a wii-u, sad but true.

Ironically, when PS3 was released a lot of the early adopters were cinema folk because Bluray was new and expensive, and PS3 happened to have great bluray features for nice price.
Now you can get good bluray drive for few bucks and streaming HD video is the new thing. WiiU has that covered with, for example, its Netflix support. (except for the surround sound issue which I have no idea what its all about as I dont have surround sound system).

+1
They're delusional

Or simply not jumping into conclusions based on sales figures of only 4 fucking months old system.

I'm glad my console can play BR movies that I get from my Netflix subscription, and play the 5.1 DTS audio :) my hearing is not the best I think.

MUCH the Wii U is not much better then Wii same hardware just bit faster and a bit more ram
Wii U is pretty much an overclocked Wii under the hood

im not sure the DS can save them with how smartphones are taking over the handheld market if they dont do some thing they could end up like Sega
and this is very much liked the end times for Sega

You're vastly misinformed, and probably trolling.

I'm not sure why people are saying the Wii U is done when it hasn't even begun yet. It released early, it's the only move they had to try to get an edge on next gen, and it was an option since they used cheaper and more available hardware.
There is NO competition for it yet.
It's in a category of its own. The NEXT GEN console war hasn't even started yet. The Wii U merely showed up early to the party.
You can't say something has failed until it actually has used all of its plays.
Saying its done is like predicting the future.
What will really determine it's future is the consoles' status when its top tier games are out to compete with OTHER NEXT GEN consoles.
Nintendo isn't going to waste time advertising when there is nothing to advertise and they don't have to bring their prized pony to the contest with no contestants.

Last edited:
You're vastly misinformed, and probably trolling.

Most of the replies in this thread are from people who are misinformed or don't know much about the gaming industry.

I've been hearing Nintendo is "done" since the Nintendo 64... :rolleyes:

This is basically the same thing everyone was saying when the Wii first came out, granted it had a lot more sales in it's first few months BUT it also had a flag ship title released too... Zelda. The Wii U doesn't have any "system mover" titles yet. :eek:

Or simply not jumping into conclusions based on sales figures of only 4 fucking months old system.
4 months, 1 year, 5 years, the difference this time is they (buyers) aren't gonna be had like suckers that bought the original Wii now just sitting there not doing shit. I really wish there was a figure showing how many wii's have been returned in its life time or just sitting at stores like gamestop.
Also I was at frys and not surprised at all seeing 3 returned Wii-U's.

4 months, 1 year, 5 years, the difference this time is they (buyers) aren't gonna be had like suckers that bought the original Wii now just sitting there not doing shit. I really wish there was a figure showing how many wii's have been returned in its life time or just sitting at stores like gamestop.
Also I was at frys and not surprised at all seeing 3 returned Wii-U's.

Lets see how many 360s fell to rrod... :rolleyes:

I'd rather see statistics on how many Wii's were sold versus how many get turned on even just once a week. The ratio is pretty dramatic I bet, I expect the Wii U to follow course. Spend around 700 dollars every 3-4 years for a Mario, Zelda and Metroid title.

There are so many trash games on the Wii it reminded me of the Atari crash back in the begining.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1627910&highlight=

wow, that's pretty impressive but I am surprised that the console it's self isn't turning a profit.. .even the Game Cube was proifitable for them...

The Wii U clearly isn't a massive graphics juggernaught like the PS3 aimed to be and now the 720/PS4 will likely be, so they could remain profitable while still using some pretty good hardware.

I still think it's laughable that people think Nintendo is going anywhere. As mentioned earlier, there have been people spelling out Nintendo's demise since the N64 and it still hasn't happened. I'm sure these forums have tons of Gamecube/Wii threads talking about Nintendo going down.

This has been rumored in the handheld market as well. The 3DS had a lot of people saying that Nintendo could no longer sell hardware and would have to give into Apple's App Store in order to sell portable games. Nintendo did have to lower the price a bit and it was accompanied by more releases, and now the 3DS is going like gangbusters.

The Wii U doesn't have a lot of titles under its belt yet. We have to wait and see what the impact of the system is going to be like. The system is more than capable, and even though it won't be able to support "PS4/720" levels of graphics it will be more than sufficient for most gamers, but right now it's just a numbers comparison fest... just like it was for the Wii (vs PS3/360... and the Gamecube (vs the PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast)... and the N64 (vs the PS/Saturn).

But if we reverse the situation and just simply look at the past, most of us just look at great games and defining moments of the console. I could honestly not care at all about the "competition" the N64 had when looking at Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time as an example (or any other consoles history with a series of games... the Playstation 1 as an example), but at the time all anyone talked about was how awesome one system was over another and for xyz numbers reason... some things never change. It would feel more meaningful if there were more conversations about the games themselves again, or at least having a "wait and see" attitude. But the internet is just about superiority and doomsday-ism, and essentially how everything never meets expectation and is therefore "the-worst-thing-ever-in-the-entirety-of-all-creation-including-the-holocaust-and-aids".

Super Punch Out is my only favorite game for the Wii Metroid is Ok too.
Resident Evil 4 is Ok but that was on the Gamecube. The problem with the Wii U is the controller and the color which is white.
If they started making old school games like Final Fantasy 3 6 Japan it would take off but it's going to stick to 3-D games.

The Wii U clearly isn't a massive graphics juggernaught like the PS3 aimed to be and now the 720/PS4 will likely be, so they could remain profitable while still using some pretty good hardware.

I still think it's laughable that people think Nintendo is going anywhere. As mentioned earlier, there have been people spelling out Nintendo's demise since the N64 and it still hasn't happened. I'm sure these forums have tons of Gamecube/Wii threads talking about Nintendo going down.

This has been rumored in the handheld market as well. The 3DS had a lot of people saying that Nintendo could no longer sell hardware and would have to give into Apple's App Store in order to sell portable games. Nintendo did have to lower the price a bit and it was accompanied by more releases, and now the 3DS is going like gangbusters.

The Wii U doesn't have a lot of titles under its belt yet. We have to wait and see what the impact of the system is going to be like. The system is more than capable, and even though it won't be able to support "PS4/720" levels of graphics it will be more than sufficient for most gamers, but right now it's just a numbers comparison fest... just like it was for the Wii (vs PS3/360... and the Gamecube (vs the PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast)... and the N64 (vs the PS/Saturn).

But if we reverse the situation and just simply look at the past, most of us just look at great games and defining moments of the console. I could honestly not care at all about the "competition" the N64 had when looking at Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time as an example (or any other consoles history with a series of games... the Playstation 1 as an example), but at the time all anyone talked about was how awesome one system was over another and for xyz numbers reason... some things never change. It would feel more meaningful if there were more conversations about the games themselves again, or at least having a "wait and see" attitude. But the internet is just about superiority and doomsday-ism, and essentially how everything never meets expectation and is therefore "the-worst-thing-ever-in-the-entirety-of-all-creation-including-the-holocaust-and-aids".

You are comparing apples to oranges. Super Mario 64 wasn't just a good game, it was a system mover. A first completely 3D platformer to the market and one that was a Mario game.

The Wii has Zelda which honestly had like a 75-80 percent attachment rate for every Wii console sold at launch.

What does the Wii U have? Nothing... a New Super Mario Brothers that is an update to a game that just came out on the Wii only 2 years ago.

Not to mention a much much higher price tag than its predecessors. Even with the high cartridge cost of the N64 it still wasn't priced out of the market like the 3DO and Jaguar were. In fact the console price was pretty competitive.

The Wii offered an entirely new market of gamers due to the interaction of the controller.

Is the touch pad initiative? Maybe, but it too cumbersome for most people to adopt it.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Super Mario 64 wasn't just a good game, it was a system mover. A first completely 3D platformer to the market and one that was a Mario game.

The Wii has Zelda which honestly had like a 75-80 percent attachment rate for every Wii console sold at launch.

What does the Wii U have? Nothing... a New Super Mario Brothers that is an update to a game that just came out on the Wii only 2 years ago.

Not to mention a much much higher price tag than its predecessors. Even with the high cartridge cost of the N64 it still wasn't priced out of the market like the 3DO and Jaguar were. In fact the console price was pretty competitive.

The Wii offered an entirely new market of gamers due to the interaction of the controller.

Is the touch pad initiative? Maybe, but it too cumbersome for most people to adopt it.

How am I comparing Apple's with Oranges? The discussions in this thread started and is primarily revolved around the idea that the Wii U has less performance than other consoles and therefore will be a failure.

My statement is simply that everyone is stating doom and gloom, ignoring what has occurred in the past, and ultimately that this system (like EVERY system, this isn't a Nintendo issue, this is EVERY console) is about the experiences one will have on the system. Whether the system currently has titles is irrelevant. I'm talking about taking the long view with consoles, RATHER than because of the current state of a system predicting its ill fate.

Historically speaking very few systems by Nintendo or otherwise have had its best games at the start. Very few consoles have had even single titles that made people really think that they wanted or had to have a new system other than the promise of great games down the line. That's the way its always been. Mario 64 was a slight exception, it was released at launch, but after that title, it took quite a long time before the N64 gained other titles or traction. The Gamecube was released with almost nothing, the same with the Wii (Zelda was a Gamecube title!). If we look at other consoles there is a similar story. It's true of the original Playstation and I would argue the Playstation 3 (Resistance was a launch title, but in retrospect and even when it came out I wasn't impressed).

In fact to prove my point, you can check out this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

Very few systems come out swinging. Predicting doom and gloom 4 months in is ridiculous. Each of those consoles mentioned went on to be successful. To reiterate in no way is anything I'm stating "apples and oranges" quite the opposite, this more often than not is the trend.

By going in and talking about Wii's motion control and then the touch interface you're missing entirely what I said. Not to say that the interaction with the game is irrelevant, but that is discounting what Nintendo or other manufactures will do. And I will be quick to point out, and I'm sure Nintendo would as well, that the DS has dual screens and one of them is a touch screen, and its used in games, and it sells like hotcakes. So clearly the idea of two screens and a touch interface isn't that ridiculous. You can argue size and ergonomics, but those are up to developers to design interfaces. I would argue that if using the touch screen is difficult, it's because the interface wasn't designed well, not that the concept of dual screen/touch screen gaming doesn't work.

But AGAIN to reiterate what I said, this is about a long view, wait and see attitude. We have no concept or clue of what this system or styles of gameplay are going to be like. The Wii U has tons of possibilities. I should hope that more people would see that. But really everyone just discusses hardware (like controllers), what's under the hood, and then predicts failure. This isn't to say the Wii U will or won't be a failure, but trying to predict that now is impossible.

Last edited:
expectation are skewed.

N64 sold 32 million
Game Cube sold 21 million
Wii sold 99 million

Anywhere between Game Cube and Wii is a Success.....I'm guessing 35million.... Expecting it too surpass the wii is just foolish and nobody should think that, and I doubt Nintendo thinks it.

Sony will have a much harder time remaining within their historical sales. Will the PS4 be considered a failure if is doesn't out sell the PS2 is the PS3 a failure because it didn't out sell the PS2?

Ps1 105 million
Ps2 154 million
Ps3 73 million

expectation are skewed.

N64 sold 32 million
Game Cube sold 21 million
Wii sold 99 million

Anywhere between Game Cube and Wii is a Success.....I'm guessing 35million.... Expecting it too surpass the wii is just foolish and nobody should think that, and I doubt Nintendo thinks it.

Sony will have a much harder time remaining within their historical sales. Will the PS4 be considered a failure if is doesn't out sell the PS2 is the PS3 a failure because it didn't out sell the PS2?

Ps1 105 million
Ps2 154 million
Ps3 73 million

Nothing is ever going to come close to PS2. The PS3 can indeed be considered a failure even though it now makes money - it erased all the profits Sony made on the PS1/2, caused major restructuring within the company and lost the console war against their rivals.

If the Wii U has better games out in a year or by Christmas and drops the price I see alot of people desiring one even more obviously.

People seem to be overeating like there will never be another Wii U game released from reading these posts here. Lets get real people.

I think what the Wii U needs beyond more games would be a single game that can't be duplicated on another system. It's at least in theory the only "next gen" system, but right now there isn't a single game that can't be duplicated elsewhere. The 360 started off slow, but it wasn't very hard to look at any 360 game and know that it looked light years better than a Xbox or PS2 game. The Wii didn't look great, but it had motion controls. The PS3 had Blu-Ray.
Right now the tablet features range from underused to making the Wii U another portable while in your home.
They need something to actually show the system is something new and better. A reason to want a whole new system even for the people that have a 360, Wii, PS3, etc.
A single killer app, especially one that isn't the typical Mario/Zelda/Pokemon that people expect would go a long way. Those franchises are becoming a crutch.
MS and Sony were able to find the Halo's, Uncharted's, Gear's, and GoW's of the world. Nintendo probably needs to find a new franchise of their own - and while they're at it, make it show off their hardware.

How am I comparing Apple's with Oranges? The discussions in this thread started and is primarily revolved around the idea that the Wii U has less performance than other consoles and therefore will be a failure.

My statement is simply that everyone is stating doom and gloom, ignoring what has occurred in the past, and ultimately that this system (like EVERY system, this isn't a Nintendo issue, this is EVERY console) is about the experiences one will have on the system. Whether the system currently has titles is irrelevant. I'm talking about taking the long view with consoles, RATHER than because of the current state of a system predicting its ill fate.

Historically speaking very few systems by Nintendo or otherwise have had its best games at the start. Very few consoles have had even single titles that made people really think that they wanted or had to have a new system other than the promise of great games down the line. That's the way its always been. Mario 64 was a slight exception, it was released at launch, but after that title, it took quite a long time before the N64 gained other titles or traction. The Gamecube was released with almost nothing, the same with the Wii (Zelda was a Gamecube title!). If we look at other consoles there is a similar story. It's true of the original Playstation and I would argue the Playstation 3 (Resistance was a launch title, but in retrospect and even when it came out I wasn't impressed).

In fact to prove my point, you can check out this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

Very few systems come out swinging. Predicting doom and gloom 4 months in is ridiculous. Each of those consoles mentioned went on to be successful. To reiterate in no way is anything I'm stating "apples and oranges" quite the opposite, this more often than not is the trend.

By going in and talking about Wii's motion control and then the touch interface you're missing entirely what I said. Not to say that the interaction with the game is irrelevant, but that is discounting what Nintendo or other manufactures will do. And I will be quick to point out, and I'm sure Nintendo would as well, that the DS has dual screens and one of them is a touch screen, and its used in games, and it sells like hotcakes. So clearly the idea of two screens and a touch interface isn't that ridiculous. You can argue size and ergonomics, but those are up to developers to design interfaces. I would argue that if using the touch screen is difficult, it's because the interface wasn't designed well, not that the concept of dual screen/touch screen gaming doesn't work.

But AGAIN to reiterate what I said, this is about a long view, wait and see attitude. We have no concept or clue of what this system or styles of gameplay are going to be like. The Wii U has tons of possibilities. I should hope that more people would see that. But really everyone just discusses hardware (like controllers), what's under the hood, and then predicts failure. This isn't to say the Wii U will or won't be a failure, but trying to predict that now is impossible.

Yes please go on to say how you were just throwing out a "generalized example" but then you go on with quite a few opinionated statements about the games themselves and the launch window.

Nintendo 64 had a great launch. I suggest you check your facts to actually see what games were released in 2006 and 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games

Did I say all touch screen gaming didn't work? No I didn't. I said the Wii U touchpad was too cumbersome to use. It is and if it something where the UI isn't great than developers aren't going to develop features for it if people don't like using it to play games on the TV.

And you are completely missing the point of the market and past game consoles. Not only was the Wii and Gamecube cheaper than its competitors, but you had a different age of gaming.

You didn't have a lot of the online or social aspects today that actually drive game sales.

But how lets not predict failure right. I mean the Wii U has such a bright 2013 ahead of it right? I can't see more than 1 game I want to play on the system this year and with the cost to actually manufacture the tablets for the system you won't see a price drop.

If this tablet was so cheap to manufacture than why wouldn't Nintendo sell it stand alone?

They won't and while the next generation cares about richer game experiences Nintendo will be left in the dust for 3rd party games that are not selling on their consoles therefore they won't be developed leaving it to rely on 1st party titles that they are not developing.

Yes please go on to say how you were just throwing out a "generalized example" but then you go on with quite a few opinionated statements about the games themselves and the launch window.

Nintendo 64 had a great launch. I suggest you check your facts to actually see what games were released in 2006 and 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games

I think you're going against popular opinion here. It seems that most people consider the N64 to have had a rather slow launch. You are defining launch as Sep 1996 thru Dec 1997, but most people use a much smaller window.

The N64 launched in North America with two games. The third game (Wave Race 64) was not released until over a month later. There were only 12 titles released in NA in 1996, and most of them were not particularly popular.

Super Mario 64 (very popular)
Pilotwings 64
Wave Race 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Cruis'n USA 64
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
Killer Instinct Gold
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Blast Corps
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Probably regarded by most as the second-best game of this period)
Tetrisphere
NBA Hangtime

http://www.pennoaks.net/archive64/Miscellaneous_Articles/N64_US_Launch.htm
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?pager.offset=4&cId=3156908 (episode 2)

I think you're going against popular opinion here. It seems that most people consider the N64 to have had a rather slow launch. You are defining launch as Sep 1996 thru Dec 1997, but most people use a much smaller window.

The N64 launched in North America with two games. The third game (Wave Race 64) was not released until over a month later. There were only 12 titles released in NA in 1996, and most of them were not particularly popular.

Super Mario 64 (very popular)
Pilotwings 64
Wave Race 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Cruis'n USA 64
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
Killer Instinct Gold
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Blast Corps
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Probably regarded by most as the second-best game of this period)
Tetrisphere
NBA Hangtime

http://www.pennoaks.net/archive64/Miscellaneous_Articles/N64_US_Launch.htm
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?pager.offset=4&cId=3156908 (episode 2)

I am considering 1996 Septemeber to December. N64 still had a slow launch, but it had close to a 1 to 1 ratio of Mario 64 to console sales. It was a system mover.

All those games that came out in 1997 were pretty good and sales continued to trend upwards.

What are you seeing with the Wii U?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/15/3990934/npd-january-2013-sales-figures-wii-u

Not happening in 2013 so far and so far the list of announced games for 2013 is pretty bad as well.

Looking back, most of those early N64 titles were so-so, but that was still part of the arcade era. Cuis'n USA and Killer Instinct were pretty big arcade titles at the time, and they were Nintendo exclusives.

Did I say all touch screen gaming didn't work? No I didn't. I said the Wii U touchpad was too cumbersome to use. It is and if it something where the UI isn't great than developers aren't going to develop features for it if people don't like using it to play games on the TV.

This is something I disagree with. It looks cumbersome, but actually it feels great in your hands. Surprisingly light for its size, contoured so that it pretty much locks itself on your hands and wont move anywhere and button button placement is excellent. And I'm not alone with this opinion. Have you really used one or are you basing this opinion on assumptions?

*edit* Nevermind, you were talking about the actual touchpad. Hard to argue because outside of Zombie U no game has made actual meaningful use for it. (and im not talking about games like Nintendo land where player used the touchpad specifically. It works pretty much like iPad then)
So, I wait and see if it ever gets good use.

Last edited:
This is something I disagree with. It looks cumbersome, but actually it feels great in your hands. Surprisingly light for its size, contoured so that it pretty much locks itself on your hands and wont move anywhere and button button placement is excellent. And I'm not alone with this opinion. Have you really used one or are you basing this opinion on assumptions?

Agreed - it's actually more comfortable than I expected. I prefer it to the pro pad in games that use the XYBA buttons thanks to the better face-button placement. It does have an odd rattle to it, and I wish it was multi-touch...but it really isn't that bad of a controller.

*edit* Nevermind, you were talking about the actual touchpad. Hard to argue because outside of Zombie U no game has made actual meaningful use for it. (and im not talking about games like Nintendo land where player used the touchpad specifically. It works pretty much like iPad then)
So, I wait and see if it ever gets good use.

Games depend on the UI. The one with mario where you follow along on the screen with the touchpad. Bad UI design. Just try holding your hands in front of you. It is cumbersome and fatiguing.

You guys are completely missing the point and I have said this already 3 times.

Demand for the Wii U is falling off. Why is that? Its not like the Wii was technically superior to the 360 and PS3, but you know what it was?

- Initiative
- Cheaper
- Different experience

The Wii didn't need to have games because it had the only game it needed, which was Wii Sports.

In fact pretty much all the companies adopted motion gaming, what does that tell you about the Wii?

What does the Wii U have? Nothing and they no room to adjust on pricing because of the tablet cost.

The better thing to do is develop an app that extends to your smart devices alot like SmartGlass.

Here is the Wii Sales numbers for reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

Games depend on the UI. The one with mario where you follow along on the screen with the touchpad. Bad UI design. Just try holding your hands in front of you. It is cumbersome and fatiguing.

I have. Infact when my WiiU was new we played Nintendo Land a whole damn day with my sisters kids. Outside of burning the game out nobody complained it was cumbersome and I didnt feel it either, we had just fun. Sitting on couch, wrist resting on my thighs and WiiU tablet in my hands, it was comfortable. Exactly same position as I have with normal gamepads, I do not have a habit holding ANY controllers in air (except Wiimotes), thats just unnecessary tension on hands and you do not want that when you do gaming marathons. Bad ergonomics.

Only neck would start to complain if I'd have to stare down the whole day, but in hardcore games that doesnt happen because the action happens in TV and in party games they are couple of minutes long sessions before player changes.

So no, I do not agree it is cumbersome to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back