The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patcher is estimating 150k consoles sold for November.

If its even remotely close to that it would be a huge disaster.

Patcher also estimated that Nintendo would be dead by now, and the 3DS was DOA. Face it, the only reason you listen to that shithead is because he agrees with you. The second he turns on Sony, you'll be screaming about how stupid he is.

Patcher also estimated that Nintendo would be dead by now, and the 3DS was DOA. Face it, the only reason you listen to that shithead is because he agrees with you. The second he turns on Sony, you'll be screaming about how stupid he is.

He has been wrong on a lot of shit and also says the Vita is dead (which I actually partially agree with). The post was in reference to his estimates, if Nintendo sold 150k in November with the bundles, Black Friday, and Mario its over and I'll officially call it.

Even if he was off by 100% and they sold 300k it would still be the worst November for a console in a decade or so. If they sold 400k that would be where I estimated and its still not good.

What are y'all's predictions over a million?

Patcher is estimating 150k consoles sold for November.

If its even remotely close to that it would be a huge disaster.

Wait Pachter is still talked about? After his many many many drastically incorrect 'estimates' I though pretty much everyone considered him a moron who just likes to talk.

If he says 150k consoles sold the one thing we know for sure is that the sales will be nothing close to 150k. My predictions of his inaccuracy are far more accurate then his predictions.

funny now the anti wii u guy forgot to mention wii u sales up from 160K to 300K for last quarter.... and console sales up 1500% from previous week in japan when the wii u party bundle released...

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/11/wii-u-sales-almost-doubled-in-the-last-quarter/

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/11/wii-u-sales-in-japan-go-up-1500-after-new-bundle-is-released/

You know that is still bad right? And they didn't even sustain those numbers man c'mon use some critical thinking. I'm sure if Atari wanted to make news with the Jaguar selling 10 consoles following a week where they sold 1 they'd post awesome headlines saying how jaguar saw a 1000% increase in sales.

Wait Pachter is still talked about? After his many many many drastically incorrect 'estimates' I though pretty much everyone considered him a moron who just likes to talk.

If he says 150k consoles sold the one thing we know for sure is that the sales will be nothing close to 150k. My predictions of his inaccuracy are far more accurate then his predictions.

See my reply to ballistic, I'm well aware the guy has been wrong before and is bias towards wiiu

See my reply to ballistic, I'm well aware the guy has been wrong before and is bias towards wiiu

That is good that you see and acknowledge that. What is not good is the fact you referenced him. It can lead to one think that you to are prone to being bias and wrong as well.

I'd want my name as far away from his as possible.

That is good that you see and acknowledge that. What is not good is the fact you referenced him. It can lead to one think that you to are prone to being bias and wrong as well.

I'd want my name as far away from his as possible.

It's worthy of a post considering the horribly low estimate, like I said I'm going with 400k for November which still is not good. I'd like to see it over 650k and if Iwata wants to meet sales projections it needs to be like 1.6 million.

• Nintendo should have redesigned/re contoured/re gripped the Wii Motion Controller and Nunchuck, or at least made it feel less like cheap plastic toy crap.
  • The tablet should have been an add on controller for 100 dollars or whatever N needs to make a slight profit, same with the XBOX1 kinnect camera they should have been varied optional bundles.
  • Then the HDD should have been 500GB instead of 8GB or 32GB. Also should have went with a more powerful GPU so that Mario 3D World could have did 1080p native instead of 720p up-scaled.
  • Better GPU with a bundled Pro controller could have led to 3rd Party support

Scrap it in a year and build a better console. (mainstream gamers desire to play)

Nintendo, you done messed up. Go hard on the GPU and CPU next time sucka.

• Nintendo should have redesigned/re contoured/re gripped the Wii Motion Controller and Nunchuck, or at least made it feel less like cheap plastic toy crap.
  • The tablet should have been an add on controller for 100 dollars or whatever N needs to make a slight profit, same with the XBOX1 kinnect camera they should have been varied optional bundles.
  • Then the HDD should have been 500GB instead of 8GB or 32GB. Also should have went with a more powerful GPU so that Mario 3D World could have did 1080p native instead of 720p up-scaled.

Scrap it in a year and build a better console. (mainstream gamers desire to play)

So what your saying is you want half assed support of the tablet controller just like your going to get with the ps4 eye? absolutely positively NO.

the resolution is the biggest non-factor on current nintendo exclusives. I cant say mario 3d world would look much better on 1080p due to its art style. your completely ignoring what Nintendo games are meant to be.

Are 3rd party games the reason you ever choose one console over another? absolutely not, again, everything you said is pure flat out bullshit

Are 3rd party games the reason you ever choose one console over another? absolutely not, again, everything you said is pure flat out bullshit

3rd party games can still be limited to one platform. Getting access to games you want to play is the best reason to choose one console over another.

Not really, he is saying buy the system that caters to the games you want to play, it sounds like you personally don't like Nintendo's first party titles and your 6 year old isn't into video games. Just because the Wii U doesn't fit into your demographic doesn't mean its the same for others.

My point was that Nintendo systems care to fans of Nintendo games... he pretty much repeated that.

I'd imagine a ton of people went with the 360 over the PS3 in favor of better third party games similar to the current situation folks are having with PS4 over the One. It's at the very least a purchasing decision they look at.

Not everyone cares about graphics/processing power.

Game play > Graphics

Games like Starbound and Steamworld Dig (for the 3DS) are doing incredibly well yet they have graphics that date back to the SNES period.

I'd imagine a ton of people went with the 360 over the PS3 in favor of better third party games similar to the current situation folks are having with PS4 over the One. It's at the very least a purchasing decision they look at.

Id say for the masses it absolutely does not matter. Maybe 1% of gamers even look at sites like digital foundry to base a purchase decision off of, most will look at the fact that "hey on xbox i can play COD and Halo" or Ps4 "I can play COD and Uncharted".

The third party games especially small performance differences are not a major factor because most people arent even aware of them. In fact that majority of people basing a decision based off of a 3rd parties resolution more than like own both consoles and want to get the defacto best version of it. First parties sell consoles, third parties do not, thats how it has always been. That is the ONLY reason the PS3 stayed with Xbox 360 sales because their third party support was considerably worse than the 360 versions on big name titles such as Skyrim.

My point was that Nintendo systems care to fans of Nintendo games... he pretty much repeated that.

Yeah pretty much. I just removed the Nintendo part. X games and X system appeal to X fans. You were kind of making it sound like Sony and Microsoft were any different.

Nintendo does have a slight advantage though as Sony and MS are interchangeable pretty much (and in my opinion completely replaceable with a PC). But Nintendo does its own thing with its own developers.

Your point about why would someone buy a Wii-U if they don't like Nintendo games is true and valid but the same can be said about any console. The reasons why someone would buy a Xbox1 over a PS4 (aside from idiotic loyalty) are the same reasons. First Party or Third party doesn't really matter too much at this point.

Looking at the state of some of the 3rd party developers like say EA or Activation I'd say having a strong first party is a pretty solid business strategy. Lets say micro transactions take over the industry Nintendo can completely ignore this trend if they so choose Sony and MS can not due to their strong dependency on 3rd party.

I myself have no preference. Nintendo will bring me Fire Emblem and so far PS4 and xbox1 have virtually 0 JRPG's announced....So for me its a Nintendo Win so far.....also take a look at a game like Child of Light...3rd party game being released on PS4, xbox1 and Wii-U so its not like Nintendo gets no 3rd party love...Its just not as much.

Xbox1 drops something like Lost Odyssey 2 and I'll likely buy it.
PS4 drops something like Valkyrie Profile 3 and I'll likely buy it.
Wii-U has already announced Fire Emblem so I'm buying it.

..........Can't really end this without saying Dark Souls 2 on PC is probably going to do very well....which might push more JRPG's to PC...which would be the greatest thing ever.

That's sort of my overall argument. Not to you (stevedave) of course, but the general pro Wii U supporters. The fact that most people on these boards are full of supposed "hardcore" gamers.

They seem to believe that everyone "needs" to be hardcore and buy every gaming console in existence. If it has any negative to it they defend it by kinda doing what you say, well it has this 1 really good game or a very limited few. That's not my style. I used to be hardcore (80's/90's gamer) but now I'm more casual gamer with hardcore roots if I were to label my gamer status or whatever it's called.

If I come across excess money and feel my family would see a benefit in a Wii U, we'll get one to replace the original Wii. It's just that it has to do a lot more than have a handful of decent newer looking Wii games for it. For you it only takes Fire Emblem and your sold.

Well for me that's definitely a game that motivates me to buy a Wii U also, but it takes a lot more than 1 game of that caliber. Just in that genre so to speak. When I looked at the PS3 I knew for sure I wanted to play the FFX13 trilogy, and Valkyria Chronicles. I also picked up Oblivion on it even though I had the GOTY on my PC with Nvidia 3D Vision and got into it in 2005/6, but I struggle with the controls on it so I bought Skyrim for PC after I found that out firsthand, but I spent less than 9 dollars on it new. I get almost no buyers remorse because the games are insanely low priced. I can also pick up games like the original Grandia, about every retro FF, old REvils etc. on PS Store for 5.99,9.99, 19.99 etc. reasonable prices. I also have Xenogears and GT2 still laying around. I must have sold FF tactics and FF7, but I can re-buy them on PS store...cool. Ni No Kuni came out as a surprise to me also, how can you possibly go wrong with a Miyazaki studio Ghibli designed HD game? I also picked up Sega Sonic collection with SF1&2 PS1,2,3,4 for dirt cheap for some retro feels.

I even got the move bundle with my PS3 and my 12 year old daughter absolutely loves it so far always asking me to play on it far more than the Wii in her bedroom, she is very active and she really needs something like this in the house for nightime/weekends/winter months. She tells me when she gets angry this helps her calm down, by playing Move games haha, hey whatever works and is healthy I think is a good way to deal with it. So I bought her a ton more of them move games on Amazon this year for 5-20$ a piece it seemed with my Prime membership, they're all under the Christmas tree now heehee. It's just been such a great gaming console. Heck she was even watching 1993 Power Rangers (Sabertooth Tiger!) on Amazon Prime Season 1 before she went to bed telling me about Victor making monsters with Rita for the Power Rangers to fight/battle, but they always destroy the monsters at the end, and it made me laugh a bit. I just pretend I have never seen the show, so she can tell me about it like the kid who knows everything she is clue'ing me in cuz she thinks I haven't ever saw it, it's more fun that way. I get all of her opinions/insights on the show. She has a far better memory than me when it comes to character names I can always ask her the shows character names and she remembers them unlike me usually. I was trying to explain to her they wear silver covered masks over their mouths because they usually can't dub these shows for a crap, she doesn't get what I mean even though we watched Death Note 1 and 2 on Blu-Ray together with Japanese language and Jet Li's latest Badges of Fury in its native language on the PS3. Watch Spirited Away on it in 1080p plenty of times also with Universal Media Server app. Those are all amazing movies and they need to be experienced in 1080p at the least! I love the cameras they use, the art and the cinematography to those movies along with everything else. You can't play Blu-Rays on them Wii's.

In the end I can't hardly find many valid faults with this PS3, it does so much right, but the Wii is far more limited, and looking at the Wii U's overall sales and its less capable hardware I just have to be completely objective and say wait wait! What are the pro's and cons here? And at the end of the day I go they/Nintendo have YET to prove this Wii U is worth my money period. Also if the XBOX1 had some REALLY AMAZING games I would be looking to spend money on it as well. Anyhow I could find 5 games I would have a lot of fun with on a Nintendo Wii U and some classics etc. but it still doesn't push me over that point where I think, yeah I will get as much fun from a Wii U as I have gotten from my PS3. Therein lies the problem I don't necessarily look at a gaming console like a hardcore gamer. I go oh yeah Wii U... well what does it do better than my PS3? Like you said it has 1 really good RPG in the works, well that doesn't do it for me. I need a handful of RPG's same with the XBOX360 I really wanted to play that Lost Odyessey game, really bad but the FFXIII trilogy was far more tempting along with some of the other great RPG's on the PS3 platform. I just remember that FFXIII trilogy is on the XBOX360, but they don't have Valkyria Chronicles/Ni No Kuni/Star Ocean? they might not even have some of those classics on the XBOX store. I'm not sure though but seeing Square/Enix on anything but PS surprises me I doubt I knew XBOX360 had Square games on it when I picked up my PS3 I assumed they wouldn't. Anyhow GT>Forza imho. TLoU/Uncharted/Infamous/GodoW>GearsoW/Halo or whatever MS studios comes up with for my tastes.

For me I just don't know how anyone would want anything but PS unless they are so dang hardcore they need every console, and that's all good if you are that hardcore. I just want what is the best for me and it has always been PS. Nintendo is great, but once the mid nineties hit it was all PS for me. Granted Sega Dreamcast and the Nintendo Wii were fun consoles, but overall they can't even compare to the amount of fun a Sonys PS console can crank out. When it comes to those rare gems like a Lost Odyessy/SM3DW I just watch a youtube lets play so I don't do something I consider absurd and pay 300 dollars to play 1 game, I didn't buy Neo Geo games in the early 90's for that same reason, and I'm not gonna do that now. I'm just not hardcore enough to buy that bait. Honestly I think it's foolish to support consoles with lacking software. I probably need to make more money or become a better brainwashed consumer. For some reason I can't. I have casual hardcore roots inner conflicts hahalolol!! Get me a doctor :rolleyes: I hope some one looks and says wall of text....not reading. :)

For me I just don't know how anyone would want anything but PS unless they are so dang hardcore they need every console, and that's all good if you are that hardcore. I just want what is the best for me and it has always been PS. Nintendo is great, but once the mid nineties hit it was all PS for me. Granted Sega Dreamcast and the Nintendo Wii were fun consoles, but overall they can't even compare to the amount of fun a Sonys PS console can crank out. When it comes to those rare gems like a Lost Odyessy/SM3DW I just watch a youtube lets play so I don't do something I consider absurd and pay 300 dollars to play 1 game, I didn't buy Neo Geo games in the early 90's for that same reason, and I'm not gonna do that now. I'm just not hardcore enough to buy that bait. Honestly I think it's foolish to support consoles with lacking software. I probably need to make more money or become a better brainwashed consumer. For some reason I can't. I have casual hardcore roots inner conflicts hahalolol!! Get me a doctor :rolleyes: I hope some one looks and says wall of text....not reading. :)

I'm 30 well paid with no kids who pretty much only plays RPG's....I'd say I'm not on any marketing groups radar.

I'd of loved to go only PS3 last gen but the fact is they didn't have enough RPG content. PS1 and PS2 flooded my brain with so many RPG's I almost couldn't get through them all.

I'll likely have to get xbox1, ps4, and wii-U just to get 5 or 6 solid RPG's at end of their life cycle. I'd love nothing more then to see PS4 get more games like Final Fantasy tactics, Valkyrie profile, Xenogears, Chrono trigger, Shadow Hearts, persona, Grandia, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, Breath of Fire, Suikoden, Lunar, Lufia, ect...

But I highly doubt that will happen. So I'll keep my eye and ears open. find a game I like. Buy the game. Then buy the console that plays that game and just hope its PC as I already own that. Beyond this nothing else really matters to me.

That's sort of my overall argument. Not to you (stevedave) of course, but the general pro Wii U supporters. The fact that most people on these boards are full of supposed "hardcore" gamers.

They seem to believe that everyone "needs" to be hardcore and buy every gaming console in existence. If it has any negative to it they defend it by kinda doing what you say, well it has this 1 really good game or a very limited few. That's not my style. I used to be hardcore (80's/90's gamer) but now I'm more casual gamer with hardcore roots if I were to label my gamer status or whatever it's called.

If I come across excess money and feel my family would see a benefit in a Wii U, we'll get one to replace the original Wii. It's just that it has to do a lot more than have a handful of decent newer looking Wii games for it. For you it only takes Fire Emblem and your sold.

Well for me that's definitely a game that motivates me to buy a Wii U also, but it takes a lot more than 1 game of that caliber. Just in that genre so to speak. When I looked at the PS3 I knew for sure I wanted to play the FFX13 trilogy, and Valkyria Chronicles. I also picked up Oblivion on it even though I had the GOTY on my PC with Nvidia 3D Vision and got into it in 2005/6, but I struggle with the controls on it so I bought Skyrim for PC after I found that out firsthand, but I spent less than 9 dollars on it new. I get almost no buyers remorse because the games are insanely low priced. I can also pick up games like the original Grandia, about every retro FF, old REvils etc. on PS Store for 5.99,9.99, 19.99 etc. reasonable prices. I also have Xenogears and GT2 still laying around. I must have sold FF tactics and FF7, but I can re-buy them on PS store...cool. Ni No Kuni came out as a surprise to me also, how can you possibly go wrong with a Miyazaki studio Ghibli designed HD game? I also picked up Sega Sonic collection with SF1&2 PS1,2,3,4 for dirt cheap for some retro feels.

I even got the move bundle with my PS3 and my 12 year old daughter absolutely loves it so far always asking me to play on it far more than the Wii in her bedroom, she is very active and she really needs something like this in the house for nightime/weekends/winter months. She tells me when she gets angry this helps her calm down, by playing Move games haha, hey whatever works and is healthy I think is a good way to deal with it. So I bought her a ton more of them move games on Amazon this year for 5-20$ a piece it seemed with my Prime membership, they're all under the Christmas tree now heehee. It's just been such a great gaming console. Heck she was even watching 1993 Power Rangers (Sabertooth Tiger!) on Amazon Prime Season 1 before she went to bed telling me about Victor making monsters with Rita for the Power Rangers to fight/battle, but they always destroy the monsters at the end, and it made me laugh a bit. I just pretend I have never seen the show, so she can tell me about it like the kid who knows everything she is clue'ing me in cuz she thinks I haven't ever saw it, it's more fun that way. I get all of her opinions/insights on the show. She has a far better memory than me when it comes to character names I can always ask her the shows character names and she remembers them unlike me usually. I was trying to explain to her they wear silver covered masks over their mouths because they usually can't dub these shows for a crap, she doesn't get what I mean even though we watched Death Note 1 and 2 on Blu-Ray together with Japanese language and Jet Li's latest Badges of Fury in its native language on the PS3. Watch Spirited Away on it in 1080p plenty of times also with Universal Media Server app. Those are all amazing movies and they need to be experienced in 1080p at the least! I love the cameras they use, the art and the cinematography to those movies along with everything else. You can't play Blu-Rays on them Wii's.

In the end I can't hardly find many valid faults with this PS3, it does so much right, but the Wii is far more limited, and looking at the Wii U's overall sales and its less capable hardware I just have to be completely objective and say wait wait! What are the pro's and cons here? And at the end of the day I go they/Nintendo have YET to prove this Wii U is worth my money period. Also if the XBOX1 had some REALLY AMAZING games I would be looking to spend money on it as well. Anyhow I could find 5 games I would have a lot of fun with on a Nintendo Wii U and some classics etc. but it still doesn't push me over that point where I think, yeah I will get as much fun from a Wii U as I have gotten from my PS3. Therein lies the problem I don't necessarily look at a gaming console like a hardcore gamer. I go oh yeah Wii U... well what does it do better than my PS3? Like you said it has 1 really good RPG in the works, well that doesn't do it for me. I need a handful of RPG's same with the XBOX360 I really wanted to play that Lost Odyessey game, really bad but the FFXIII trilogy was far more tempting along with some of the other great RPG's on the PS3 platform. I just remember that FFXIII trilogy is on the XBOX360, but they don't have Valkyria Chronicles/Ni No Kuni/Star Ocean? they might not even have some of those classics on the XBOX store. I'm not sure though but seeing Square/Enix on anything but PS surprises me I doubt I knew XBOX360 had Square games on it when I picked up my PS3 I assumed they wouldn't. Anyhow GT>Forza imho. TLoU/Uncharted/Infamous/GodoW>GearsoW/Halo or whatever MS studios comes up with for my tastes.

PS3 is good (Xbox not so good in my opinion, most Xbox games are released on PC) but Nintendo has the best RPG's hands down on both of their current consoles.

My biggest problem with the PS3/4 Xbox 360 and Xbox 1 is that most of the games released on it don't require much skill nor much thinking. They are designed with casual in mind, whereas games like Fire Emblem are difficult and do require a lot of skill.

I'll wait for the " We're desperate as fuck " bundle. Which will be the following...

Price: $299.99
Wii U Deluxe Console
Wii U Game Pad
Two Wiimotes
New Super Mario Brothers U
New Super Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart

Yeah, it's asking for much but they are half way there! lol. They have a history of doing wacky bundles to help push sales. I would not be surprised to see another game thrown into the current deluxe bundle sometime in the future.

I'll wait for the " We're desperate as fuck " bundle. Which will be the following...

Price: $299.99
Wii U Deluxe Console
Wii U Game Pad
Two Wiimotes
New Super Mario Brothers U
New Super Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart

Yeah, it's asking for much but they are half way there! lol. They have a history of doing wacky bundles to help push sales. I would not be surprised to see another game thrown into the current deluxe bundle sometime in the future.

Very solid idea. I'm likely going to do the same thing as Fire Emblem is likely more than a year away. Unless your a die hard Mario fan there is little reason to Wii-U up right now.

In terms of RPG's, I hope you didn't completely skip the Xbox 360.... I'm as hardcore of an RPG/JRPG/MMORPG player as they come. The Xbox 360 had a good amount of JRPG's released on it. Some found there way to other consoles over time but quite a few good ones remained exclusive to the system. Some that I can think up right now without looking at my collection...

Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
Tales of Vesperia
The Fable Games
Enchanted Arms

There are a few others I can't think of atm. The rest that come to mind have been released on the PS3. Like Star Ocean IV & Eternal Sonata. Too Human is hit or miss depending on how you feel about it. I enjoyed it a bit but sucks that it never turned into a trilogy as planned.

In terms of RPG's, I hope you didn't completely skip the Xbox 360.... I'm as hardcore of an RPG/JRPG/MMORPG player as they come. The Xbox 360 had a good amount of JRPG's released on it. Some found there way to other consoles over time but quite a few good ones remained exclusive to the system. Some that I can think up right now without looking at my collection...

Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
Tales of Vesperia
The Fable Games
Enchanted Arms

There are a few others I can't think of atm. The rest that come to mind have been released on the PS3. Like Star Ocean IV & Eternal Sonata. Too Human is hit or miss depending on how you feel about it. I enjoyed it a bit but sucks that it never turned into a trilogy as planned.

I've personally attempted to play a number of those games, and I feel like for the average JRPG, they didn't really move forward much last generation. At least, not in a direction I wanted anything to do with.

And considering JRPGs don't often make a lot of money out of Japan on average (there's always a few outliers), and the cost of developing for the PS4/Xbox One being considerably higher, many japanese companies might not want to make console JRPGs in the first place. They might stick to handhelds, where the audience is already there and the cost of develop is much lower. With development costs rising and the price of games staying the same, we might see a minor implosion of video game variety, with more sequels and fewer new ideas/IPs.

I own the WiiI-U and play it occasionally. Only thing the tablet game pad is good for is to play while someone else is watching TV. All other games I have the tablet is just there. I do think they should have used that money towards the actual console instead of the tablet.

Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
Tales of Vesperia
The Fable Games
Enchanted Arms

I bought a broken 360 and fixed it for FFXIII, as an old school JRPG fan I obviously hated it, Played Lost Odyssey and it was pretty good. Tales of Vesperia I know I'd like but held off on it until I picked it up on PS3 for like 5 bucks. Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, The last Remnant, Fable, and Enchanted Arms didn't appeal to my taste and were likely only considered good games as they are pretty much the only RPG's on the system. Nier seemed pretty cool but I never got around to playing it.

Pretty much only playing RPG's means that it is very rare for an RPG to slip past me. I know what PS3 and Xbox360 had to offer and it is a fraction of what I had gotten used to with SNES, PS1 and PS2.

I own the WiiI-U and play it occasionally. Only thing the tablet game pad is good for is to play while someone else is watching TV. All other games I have the tablet is just there. I do think they should have used that money towards the actual console instead of the tablet.

Tablet is only as good as the developers. I can see it being very awesome for a game like Fire Emblem.....But if PC developers still struggle with proper multi screen development I don't think Nintendo is going to do very well at it. I'd rather they just dropped the price and left the pad out....but how could they not go for something gimmicky after the success of the Wii's motion controller.

Last edited:
They might stick to handhelds, where the audience is already there and the cost of develop is much lower. With development costs rising and the price of games staying the same, we might see a minor implosion of video game variety, with more sequels and fewer new ideas/IPs.

I think the implosion has already happened. Most studios that want to make lower cost games have been migrating to handhelds, PC, and live/PSN/eShop marketplace.

Here's an interesting article about the eShop that I came across while trying to find the publishing cost on eShop vs PSN vs live.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/4/4696020/nintendo-eshop-indie-games-wii-u-nintendo-3ds I was trying to find out which platform gave developers the best deal, but couldn't find any numbers.

I think the implosion has already happened. Most studios that want to make lower cost games have been migrating to handhelds, PC, and live/PSN/eShop marketplace.

Here's an interesting article about the eShop that I came across while trying to find the publishing cost on eShop vs PSN vs live.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/4/4696020/nintendo-eshop-indie-games-wii-u-nintendo-3ds I was trying to find out which platform gave developers the best deal, but couldn't find any numbers.

Currently there still exists a middle ground of full retail games that aren't quite "AAA" style titles that's disapearing thanks to the dropping profit margins. Not a high percentage of games sell over 1 million units, so if you're requiring that kind of sell through to see any ROI, you're not too likely to work on that platform.

And I doubt you're going to see any direct comparison between publishing costs between the different markets. I'd imagine that is a part of an NDA developers would sign on to.

And I doubt you're going to see any direct comparison between publishing costs between the different markets. I'd imagine that is a part of an NDA developers would sign on to.

That's my assumption after searching and finding zero results.

Currently there still exists a middle ground of full retail games that aren't quite "AAA" style titles that's disapearing thanks to the dropping profit margins. Not a high percentage of games sell over 1 million units, so if you're requiring that kind of sell through to see any ROI, you're not too likely to work on that platform.

as Nintendo has proven time and time again, if you want good selling AAA titles, don't make crap that is unfinished and needs multiple patches..

as Nintendo has proven time and time again, if you want good selling AAA titles, don't make crap that is unfinished and needs multiple patches..

Nintendo makes games that are IMHO vastly less complicated. Most of their games dont have complex online multiplayer, most of their games these days looks like they reuse assets over and over and nintendo really hasnt moved platforms in years. Platforms aren't my thing, so most of their games arent for me. Zelda being one of the few semi platforming games I like from them.

Nintendo makes games that are IMHO vastly less complicated. Most of their games dont have complex online multiplayer, most of their games these days looks like they reuse assets over and over and nintendo really hasnt moved platforms in years. Platforms aren't my thing, so most of their games arent for me. Zelda being one of the few semi platforming games I like from them.

lol okay but whatever the end result is, the game is out too early due to some developer not taking the time to polish their product and thus the need for multiple patches. this somehwat expected in the PC side but not on a closed platform system....

And Nintendo did have to learn this lesson with the Wii U that was launched with a slow OS, incomplete features and no Mario/Luigi to lead the charge... This was one of the biggest reasons I waited until After the first major update to the system came before I bought mine... (march 2012)

Last edited:

Nintendo is surprisingly good at cutting away "fat" from some types of games and leave you with a lean, but very well made product. In addition, however, they do what they do very well. What you say is less complicated, is actually a lot more difficult than you would believe. Super Mario 3D World is a 3D platformer that has a very well made camera that can follow 4 players simultaneously without being a hinderance. That is not easy to do at all, but they managed it very well. They just make it look easy.

I really think the Wii U is unnecessarily getting a bad rap. Nintendo is like the Apple of the videogame world. Like if you were to compare the specs of the iPhone 5S to the Galaxy Note 3 it would be a waste of time because the Note 3 just has the numbers, but people still buy the iPhone because it's familiar and a little freshened up coming from it's predecessor and also has the great App Store which is a lot of really high quality apps. People compare the latest iPhone to the previous generation iPhone because it's what makes the most sense and is most relevant since again, comparing numbers to numbers to other phones would be fruitless.

The same is true of the Wii U this generation. It should be compared to the Wii instead of every other console, and I think that is what most people are missing here. I mean, comparing the Wii U to the PS4 or Xbox One is like comparing the PS2 to the PS3... you just don't do it. We all know the Wii U isn't up to snuff in the numbers, but let's look at the jump in improvement in graphics for instance from Super Mario Galaxy running in SD to Super Mario 3D World running at 720p @60fps. Upscaled on my TV to 1080p the game looks absolutely beautiful... the true jump to HD that Mario needed.

The possibilities of a HD Nintendo console are huge. I mean, I would die over a original Star Fox or Zelda in HD on the Wii U. Anyway, I think the Wii U should be looked at in comparison to the Wii... only because Nintendo has always made it very clear that it's not in the console game to out-spec Microsoft or Sony. The Wii was a perfect example of hardware that was way behind the PS3 and 360, but still was a monster success and was impossible to find in stock for months even when launching at $250. I don't think the Wii U is overpriced at all... especially with all the extra accessories of the deluxe bundle along with the console.

If Nintendo could only ramp up their marketing, and reintroduce the Wii U and define it better they would have a great success on their hands. I've only had my Wii U for a week, but I love it so far and am excited about it's future.

Last edited:
WiiU Nov Sales roughly 220k.

They're trending Dreamcast numbers now. They need to kill it and get back to the drawing board.

PlayStation 4: Top selling platform of the month.
Xbox One: 909,132 (Fastest selling: 101,000 per day) [Second best selling platform of the month.]
3DS Estimate: 770K [November 2012 was 540K, November 2011 was 795K]
Xbox 360: 647K (-48.7%)
Wii U: 220K

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733905

They're trending Dreamcast numbers now. They need to kill it and get back to the drawing board.

They don't need to kill it. Cut all the extra bullshit out of the bundles, cut the price and the thing'll sell. They could also just sell the Wii U with the Pro controller and see how that does which would also significantly reduce the cost of admission for the Wii U. The Wii U has good games... and has great ones coming. They're not gonna pull a Sega (or a Virtual Boy) and just cut and run with the next best thing... won't do a damn good. Nintendo has always flourished with 1st party titles. The highlight in the Nintendo camp is the software... not the hardware.

lol put the crack pipe down mmmkay... Nintendo's sales numbers have actually been moving upwards....

zamardii said:
They don't need to kill it. Cut all the extra bullshit out of the bundles, cut the price and the thing'll sell. They could also just sell the Wii U with the Pro controller and see how that does which would also significantly reduce the cost of admission for the Wii U. The Wii U has good games... and has great ones coming. They're not gonna pull a Sega (or a Virtual Boy) and just cut and run with the next best thing... won't do a damn good. Nintendo has always flourished with 1st party titles. The highlight in the Nintendo camp is the software... not the hardware.

Hate to break this to you, but Nintendo is NOT going to remove one of the key innovations of the console...

You know that is still bad right? And they didn't even sustain those numbers man c'mon use some critical thinking. I'm sure if Atari wanted to make news with the Jaguar selling 10 consoles following a week where they sold 1 they'd post awesome headlines saying how jaguar saw a 1000% increase in sales.

lol Novemer sales already beat Q2 sales and have come pretty close to Q3 sales....

Nintendo is surprisingly good at cutting away "fat" from some types of games and leave you with a lean, but very well made product. In addition, however, they do what they do very well. What you say is less complicated, is actually a lot more difficult than you would believe. Super Mario 3D World is a 3D platformer that has a very well made camera that can follow 4 players simultaneously without being a hinderance. That is not easy to do at all, but they managed it very well. They just make it look easy.

Im not saying some of the things they do arent hard but when you have 90% of the mechanics from old games that have been fine tuned and only introduced maybe one or two new ones in a game you get less things wrong. But dont think that it works well doesnt mean there arent a crap ton of glitches. Nintendo is KING of rehashing old games, and they sell for many different reasons. Most of them just arent for me.

Yeah pretty much. I just removed the Nintendo part. X games and X system appeal to X fans. You were kind of making it sound like Sony and Microsoft were any different.

Nintendo does have a slight advantage though as Sony and MS are interchangeable pretty much (and in my opinion completely replaceable with a PC). But Nintendo does its own thing with its own developers.

Your point about why would someone buy a Wii-U if they don't like Nintendo games is true and valid but the same can be said about any console. The reasons why someone would buy a Xbox1 over a PS4 (aside from idiotic loyalty) are the same reasons. First Party or Third party doesn't really matter too much at this point.

Looking at the state of some of the 3rd party developers like say EA or Activation I'd say having a strong first party is a pretty solid business strategy. Lets say micro transactions take over the industry Nintendo can completely ignore this trend if they so choose Sony and MS can not due to their strong dependency on 3rd party.

I myself have no preference. Nintendo will bring me Fire Emblem and so far PS4 and xbox1 have virtually 0 JRPG's announced....So for me its a Nintendo Win so far.....also take a look at a game like Child of Light...3rd party game being released on PS4, xbox1 and Wii-U so its not like Nintendo gets no 3rd party love...Its just not as much.

..........Can't really end this without saying Dark Souls 2 on PC is probably going to do very well....which might push more JRPG's to PC...which would be the greatest thing ever.

I wouldnt say sony and ms is interchangeable, coming from myself an xbox fan, i wish ms had as good of first person catalog/library/ip's as sony does.. hell it seemed like for the last bit of 360 lifespan, if you didnt have a kinect, you were treated like crap by ms. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back