The weirdest account issue I ever saw, just happened

notarat

2[H]4U
We have a Win 7 Pro x64 computer used for a specific task.

The way it's set up is 1 account is a restricted user account only used to access a website. The system administrator's account is used to do backups, save log files, management type things...We also have 2 other accounts with System Admin access, but neither of them were ever used. (they were "active" in that they weren't locked out or disabled, though...They are emergency admin accts with passwords stored in a safe, in case the Admin dies or is replaced in such a way that we need to access the system without them

The System Admin left the company yesterday The departing Admin was well liked, highly regarded, and very well paid/treated...she was family, and felt that way about her co-workers...no sabotage possible.)

So she brought over her replacement. He logged in, went to control panel, accessed the user accounts, selected the proper System Administrator account and successfully changed his password. (5 people saw this occur and saw the "Password changed Successfully" message)

No one did anything other than what is written above. No changes. No deviations from what I wrote. NONE.

He logged out, rebooted, and tried to log in, in order to test the password change.

Each. And. Every. Account on the computer was now locked out, including the ones which were never used. NONE worked.

We used the rescue disc and reset the passwords and everything's back to normal now, but I can't figure out how/why they all locked

Back