The Warcraft Virtual Reality Pod

That's pretty lame. It's just a "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" clubhouse someone (rather shoddily) built. There's nothing VR about it, it's a box with a computer and a chair inside.

edit: and someone clearly doesn't know anything about how to use two computers at a single workspace. A monitor mounted at a 90-degree angle and a keyboard vertically attached above the main monitor? Why not just have both monitors and keyboards side-by-side? Absolutely zero thought was applied to making this work well.

So some 13 year old wanted to play WoW in a small, dark, space? Could of saved some time and put his computer in his closet.

edit: and someone clearly doesn't know anything about how to use two computers at a single workspace. A monitor mounted at a 90-degree angle and a keyboard vertically attached above the main monitor? Why not just have both monitors and keyboards side-by-side? Absolutely zero thought was applied to making this work well.

Or a $20 KVM. Those look like some sweet 15" crts. I don't really see any ventilation either - the stink coming out of that thing after a long session must be something.

I you are going to build a pod, at least make it lookhalf way decent. Looks like he has old ass computers with shitty CRT screens, did you even look at the chair?He phailed at making a nice booth.In all honesty though, Ido like playing games in confined spaces too. :D

That is beyond retarded. Is it just sitting in his living room or something? Dude's gotta be single, or living with his mom...

He could be using it as an escape to sexually assault himself in there without being bothered by his mommy :confused:

This part made me laugh:

One of these days I am actually going to order a pizza right from inside and when the delivery person comes I am going to make him come into the house and knock on the pod door to deliver it right to my seat! Now that's the ultimate gamers lifestyle.

my guess would be 3/4 of you people are on their way to lowes to buy lumber and sheetrock.

That guy finially built what all you kiddies were thinking. :p

Fuck that guy..
Mine's portable.

qc2k3.ym.2003-08-16.012.cardboard-box-man-slows-for-a-shot.jpg

Just another fantasy obsessed dork. Like someone else said, I bet he's about 40 years old and living with his mother.

I looked at some of his other projects... Whoa... also way out there and lame. Shadow boxes, dioramas, ...

... paper castles and games with popsicle sticks.

Yeeeeah.

What's kinda weird is while the others are lame, they're at least really well done. This just looks like junk. Now if he'd done something like that in his car and gotten an internet connection setup so he could play WoW while in traffic, that'd be cool :)

Wow. I mean....Wow. I'm floored. Thats just so pathetic. And poorly done.

I mean, if it was done well, I could understand. But how does he POSSIBLY type on that keyboard up there above the monitor? And he does know there are mods with in-game database's now so you don't HAVE to research quests....etc.....owww my brain.

It's a box, not a pod, and theres nothing VR about it.

the developers of WoW are almost as bad as the cigarette companies, taking lives

If I ever start to feel insecure about my place in this world, all I have to do is think about a WOW adict, and realize I'm soooo much better off. :p

What's kinda weird is while the others are lame, they're at least really well done. This just looks like junk. Now if he'd done something like that in his car and gotten an internet connection setup so he could play WoW while in traffic, that'd be cool :)

Wait others have done this?

I play WoW and this is just sad.

Epic Fail.

WoW (pardon the pun :p) that guy is fucking stupid. It's bad in form and execution for all the reasons already stated. And I don't find it hard at all to alt-tab out to my Firefox window to search wowhead, thott, ala, and the like. With Thott and Ala being the easiest w/ the FF search bar plugins and all.

Oh, and BTW the 40 y/o w/ his mother comment I don't think you're too far off.

is the guy's pic from the left side bar on his site. Although he does have a couple nerd-irific things on there, like How To Build's for a trebuchet and catapult.

WoW (pardon the pun :p) that guy is fucking stupid. It's bad in form and execution for all the reasons already stated. And I don't find it hard at all to alt-tab out to my Firefox window to search wowhead, thott, ala, and the like. With Thott and Ala being the easiest w/ the FF search bar plugins and all.

Nothing wrong with having a second PC nearby to simply turn and search. I've got an old (and I mean old, 233 Mhz Pentium) laptop that I use on rare occasions when I need to look up something while in the middle of a game (I don't do MMOs, so the need doesn't arise often).

What this guy did, though, is just sad. Crappy monitors, crappy layout, and shoddy construction.

If I were building something like this:

The computers would be accessible from inside the box...or better yet, integrated. Why not just mount the motherboards and everything in this thing somehow? The point being, if you want to hole up inside a box for half a day playing on your computer, you don't want to have to get up and leave the box if you need to do something WITH THE COMPUTER.

I would have two (or maybe three) decent LCDs mounted on the wall, side-by-side. The secondary monitor would be on a 2-port KVM so that I can, at the press of a button, switch between an extended desktop view to using the secondary PC.

The keyboard and mouse for my primary system would be on a fixed desk at the most comfortable position I could find. The secondary keyboard and mouse would be on a pull-out drawer just above that...if I'm not using them, they're out of the way.

I'd also have a small table or tray to one side of my chair for snacks, complete with a cupholder cutout, and whatever other amenities I would think of while planning something like this, if I actually put more than a minute's thought into it. And while I'm at it, proper ventilation is a must...a pair of quiet intake and exhaust fans in the right places would help much.

Materials: 2x4 framing, MDF surfaces, drywall inside and out. It would be properly framed so I didn't have to worry about it falling apart and I'd texture and paint the outside so that it at least looked decent. For laughs I might surface the inside with whiteboards so I could draw/write all over the walls all I wanted to. I wonder how long I would spend writing "THE CAKE IS A LIE" before I got bored trying to cover the walls with it.

edit: I do sort of game in a box, as my "office" is a 6' x 6' closet/room since my second son displaced me. So I've had to give thought to efficient ways to manage space

I think his best option would have been to close and lock the door to his room rather than build that piece of shite.

Does this guy even know what virtual reality means. This cardboard piece of shit has nothing virtual about it. It looks completely ghetto. The computers and speakers look extremely dated. It doesn't even have sound padding, so anything from the outside is just going to be amplified and echoed. What an idiot.

I love the shitty hardware and the picture of him in karazahn... LOL

what a retard, I do TK and SSC with one eye on the TV the whole time, and he needs an isolation booth to handle kara lol

Back