The War Z - Zombie Survival MMO

giving the pioneer pack a shot. Is this going to be a flop?

I like how they stressed it was really open world and wasn't pay to win (the kind of non-themepark experience I think a lot of us enjoy) but it also looks like they fall short in a few categories and some of the gameplay videos make it look like a "B" game (sharp textures but, graphical glitches, not so fluid, etc). Screenshots look great, actual gameplay is just OK.

Seems like a good idea executed on a low budget just to hold us off until Day Z standalone / Arma 3 come out

Flop? Hard to say. The vids that they have been releasing so far are of alpha builds so the game is not anywhere near done if we go by those alone. Graphics will be good I'm thinking but nothing revolutionary so don't go thinking its going to be like new Crysis games where they show off the newest latest graphic pushing limits technology. It should be good enough. War Z may or may not be a B game but even B games can be quite fun and entertaining as well as successful. Game play will be the real determination of just how good it will be. It does look promising but its too early to say for sure. The first map is supposedly 70 square miles where you can go anywhere so thats open ended in that sense. Is 70 square miles big enough? Some will argue no but if they make it so where you can go from map to map that may be enough for players.

I hear all this talk of how Day Z stand alone on Arma is going to be and it'll blow War Z away, yadda...yadda... yadda... They have to make it first before I go believing it. Time will tell.

Going to wait to see what people say about the alpha before even considering pre-ordering this. Looks like there's a two-day period where people can play and comment and we can still buy before the pre-order offer expires.

i hope its cool, it does not look to be as much of a simulator like dayZ.

not really playing dayZ any more though.. dying after like 33 days of survival made me quit

i hope its cool, it does not look to be as much of a simulator like dayZ.

not really playing dayZ any more though.. dying after like 33 days of survival made me quit

I think a lot of people quit when the hackers took over. Although, the youtube video of the hacker who turned a guy into a goat was pretty funny. First person grazzer.

So is there universal, rampant PvP like DayZ? If so, pass.

Also, apparently the game is MASSIVELY buggy (I guess it's still an Alpha, so okay) and it seems there are a lot of complaints regarding losing items or not even being able to play.

Last edited:
So is there universal, rampant PvP like DayZ? If so, pass.

I love the idea of open-world, full-lootable PvP, because it simulates real life. However, when it's not in real life, there's no inhibitions against murder or stealing etc, so it just becomes a FFA rather quickly. It'd be nice to have some sort of system where real risks were on the table so you didn't just try to kill everyone you saw.

I love the idea of open-world, full-lootable PvP, because it simulates real life. However, when it's not in real life, there's no inhibitions against murder or stealing etc, so it just becomes a FFA rather quickly. It'd be nice to have some sort of system where real risks were on the table so you didn't just try to kill everyone you saw.

Yeah, I agree. The problem with DayZ is that there was no repercussions for deathmatching, so hopefully they fix that in War Z. So far, though, I'm guessing they don't really have anything in place to deal with that.

Yeah, I agree. The problem with DayZ is that there was no repercussions for deathmatching, so hopefully they fix that in War Z. So far, though, I'm guessing they don't really have anything in place to deal with that.

definitely.

i like some of the ideas for dayZ that were coming out though i hope the standalone is fantastic.

They could maybe implement some sort of reputation system combined with fiscal or character development penalties. For example, something in the appearance of your character could change, the more human kills you commit. This could act as a signal to other players who encounter you, that you are un-trustworthy and should be avoided/killed. This may help deter those people who want a character who can interact with other players outside of straight up DM. On top of that, if you kill another person it could inflict some sort of XP or IGG penalty as a direct deterrent to DM. Of course, these put all sorts of complications into game mechanics and may take the gameplay away from the type that is desired.

Really I guess, a permanent death option is the best bet. If you can level/build a character, you will want to avoid conflict at all costs if a conflict means you lose your investment. Also, theoretically, if your character is built up you should be better able to fend off attackers of a low level (IE: Guy wants DM, doesn't care about character progression. As such, he dies alot and doesn't have very high level character, so he is easier to kill).

I'm really not sure what the current mechanics are though, so I can't say what does or doesn't need to be implemented.

Its not even PVP killing this game at this point. Its trying to rip off day-z and just does a horrible job. The graphics engine while it runs smoother is just MUCH MUCH worse. You can tell it was not designed to run large maps like the arma 2 engine. Game mechanics feel very stiff, you would have to play it i guess to see what i mean but its very stiff and unnatural feeling.

I run into survivors about each minute in the game. Yes the alpha has only 30 percent of the map, but seeing 7-8 other survivors in the first 5 minutes is NOT cool. Ruins the immersion that dayz gave

My verdict right now is that this game is a peice of shit. If you like dayz style games, wait for the dayz stand alone..

I'm sorry but have they even confirmed a day z standalone? seems like a pipedream to me

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Day Z was a good idea but terrible buggy implementation and I expect no less from the stand alone. It is the arma engine after all which is pretty notorious for issues. The cheating is so out of control that counterstrike seems clean and I am sure the stand alone will be just as bad if not worse since there is more of a draw to it.

War Z just simply needs to use the idea both games have and do it less glitchy and bug filled than Day Z to win. A anticheat that works worth a damn would be a huge step towards this as well.

Having played it for a few hours it isn't bad - not ground breaking but it certainly has potential. The cash shop has me worried though. I've found multiple guns but most of them have no ammo.... and what does the cash shop offer?! That's right, ammo!

It will certainly tide me over until DayZ comes out in December. I can't see WarZ touching DayZ standalone. DayZ won't have FPS issues, and the vast majority of the cheating will be gone (players won't be able to inject scripts). Only thing is that other than a few extra enter-able buildings it probably won't have much else at launch.

I was reluctant to get War Z, as I've been happy with Day Z. But I decided to give it a try and I've been really happy with it, even in it's alpha state. The game really does look good when maxed, no Skyrim, but it looks good. Based on what I've seen with War Z, I'm confident it will replace Day Z in my gaming queue.

As for the the "clone" argument. Day Z is no original idea. The zombie survival genre has been around the block a few times. Look at Necropolis, a great GTA 4 zombie survival mod that was released before Day Z. Add multiplayer to Necropolis and you now have Day Z. Project Zomboid is another good example. Minecraft perhaps (though, released post Day Z), has survival and zombies.

As for the engine. Meh, it looks good and plays fine. I see no problem.

For the people claiming the developer lied about the development date. Who knows, maybe he was the sole developer back in 2011 generating a concept before being able to get funding. We don't know and why should we care?

Just my two cents :)

Back to War Z!

after a few hours a playing with friends this is very fun. Playing solo can be frustrating however.

Anyone out there still playing? Discount runs out tomorrow and I need someone to give me an excuse to purchase one of the packages, more than likely Survivor or Pioneer.

From what I am hearing about this, I think I'll hold off on a pre-order pack.

Anyone out there still playing? Discount runs out tomorrow and I need someone to give me an excuse to purchase one of the packages, more than likely Survivor or Pioneer.

I'm on the fence as well but now that the price went up to $39.99 for the Pioneer I'll pass. I wish I would have pulled the trigger yesterday when it was $29.99 :mad:

I'm on the fence as well but now that the price went up to $39.99 for the Pioneer I'll pass. I wish I would have pulled the trigger yesterday when it was $29.99 :mad:
Well that sucks figured I had the rest of the day to make a decision as they said the deal was extended til Monday. That definitely makes it a no buy for me at present.

Still a good game 1 week later cant wait until more of the map is opened up this week.

How's the solo play? From various forums seems people are having fun with friends but find it frustrating as a solo experience. Think I'll just wait for the Day Z standalone, alpha should be out next month hopefully.

How's the solo play? From various forums seems people are having fun with friends but find it frustrating as a solo experience. Think I'll just wait for the Day Z standalone, alpha should be out next month hopefully.

solo is not as fun for me. I have to play with friends. they now introduced 2 safe zones where you have to walk to save/quit and put things in your global inventory. So its a struggle to get there alive solo . also when i play solo i never have any of my good weapons on me since i die so fast to other people. Right now since its alpha its just a club/shooting fest since there isnt much else to do yet. No quest like things to do no clans so its hard to tell who's really friendly no strong holds to occupy. Should come next week thats when beta starts.

Still a good game 1 week later cant wait until more of the map is opened up this week.

Yeah, I'm having a ton of fun playing the game. I could careless about the comparisons to other games. I play a game if I find it fun, and I find this fun.

I like the solo play, it's much different from group play though. I like both, solo though is much more cautious, really need to watch your own back. My best moments are being solo, when I took out 2 geared up bandits with AA-12's with just a Mossberg and a pistol. So it's possible to own solo, just have to be very cautious.

I made a video if anyone wants to check it out just going over basic information on what the game is and what is planned for it in the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9nfy-iLbg

Back