The War Z - Zombie Survival MMO

This description from the IGN describes why I have zero interest in this. It's like even if it was functional they sold an unfinished MMO...as an MMO. This is just a shell of a game they've obviously just started working on. If they don't get crushed under the weight of trademark infringement from paramount I might check it's progress in a year or two.

In an attempt to survive more than a few minutes I tried playing on unpopulated servers, but it’s then that you realize how little there is to do in War Z. At this point there are no vehicles you can fix, no interesting structures to explore (all the buildings are generally empty husks with signage that tells you what it’s supposed to be), and no good use for the safe zones. The safe zones in particular are disappointing, since prior to release they were touted as places you’d be able to create and give out quests, which could create vastly more exciting player interactions. For now they’re places you can make transactions between players, or access your global inventory, only to be shot the second you leave them by players just waiting to prey upon you.

Considering all the videos showing the many problems of WarZ, I find it highly suspect when someone like you says it has "amazing game play" and "thebest game I played in 2012 and one of my best purchases" especially since it is basically just a generic shooter.

Wait, let me guess, you also loved "Big Rigs: Over the road racing" too right?

Wait, DayZ is awful, but WarZ isn't because it has "potential?"

I am having a really hard time understanding how people can get lied to about a game over and over, have it be a shitty mod of another shitty game, miss almost every feature promised, get kicked off steam for the previous items, and yet is somehow a great game to some people.

I never said either game was good or bad. I said one, in my opinion, was clearly better than the other in it's current iteration in terms of it's potential to succeed (and the fact that it is "playable" -- I hardly consider DayZ playable). DayZ as a *mod* can never succeed to the potential that WarZ has as a standalone game with a development team (albeit a BAD development team). I have sky high hopes that the developer of DayZ will take all of these things into account and try to replicate the few good things WarZ has managed to accomplish (namely it's simplicity of the UI and the way zombies interact). If they are able to get away from the crippling effects of a locked down ArmA engine, I think it will be successful. In that case, I will have no problem dumping WarZ for a much better game. However, if the DayZ standalone game still suffers from many of the issues it currently faces on the ArmA engine, I wouldn't waste a single penny on it.

I play it with a huge group of friend and we pretty much own all other non-hackers in the game. I think about 60-70% of players are using hacks and its very very frustrating since this game is so addictive and requires a level a patience/skill/communication like no other.

In fairness I can see how playing with a group on teamspeak going around beating up and pubstomping solo players might be fun for the lulz - for a while anyway - but then again thats not really a sustainable business model for the game since the majority of players are going to be lonewolves, and so getting slapped down if not by hackers then groups of people on comms coming at them like 5v1 team deathmatch, well that seems like the ultimate way to frustrate the bulk of the playerbase and kill the game faster.

But ignoring that for a moment, the biggest problem I see - besides the dysfunctional developer with stage three aspergers and a plate in his head, continues to be the fact that there is no point to the game, no ultimate objective.

Apologists try to spin it as "thats the beauty of it, its a sandbox and you can do whatever you want", but I'd say thats just a lack of vision and laziness. And so even disregarding all of its other fundamental flaws, its still a glorified tech demo at best.

Last edited:
In fairness I can see how playing with a group on teamspeak going around beating up and pubstomping solo players might be fun for the lulz - for a while anyway - but then again thats not really a sustainable business model for the game since the majority of players are going to be lonewolves, and so getting slapped down if not by hackers then groups of people on comms coming at them like 5v1 team deathmatch, well that seems like the ultimate way to frustrate the bulk of the playerbase and kill the game faster.

But ignoring that for a moment, the biggest problem I see - besides the dysfunctional developer with stage three aspergers and a plate in his head, continues to be the fact that there is no point to the game, no ultimate objective.

Apologists try to spin it as "thats the beauty of it, its a sandbox and you can do whatever you want", but I'd say thats just a lack of vision and laziness. And so even disregarding all of its other fundamental flaws, its still a glorified tech demo at best.

I pretty much won't play this game alone anymore. It is much more rewarding playing in a 3 to 5 man deathsquad. Loner hackers can't kill all of us before we get them. It's the way to go :)

It cant even be called a sandbox because that term implies the ability to create things.

What sucks is that Sergey and crew took a bunch of ideas that people want in a game, promised them, then delivered a steaming pile of crap. The only thing in the game that was promised are zombies, and there aren't even that many of them.

Last edited:
Wait, did someone seriously just say The War Z had better graphics than ArmA 2: OA? Are you fucking kidding me?

Wait, did someone seriously just say The War Z had better graphics than ArmA 2: OA? Are you fucking kidding me?

Apparently low-res textures are all the rage these days. I think they look like crap. And when they're covered up by all the post-processing in the world it just looks like shiny, blurry crap.

What are you guys smoking ??? Dayz does not have better graphics then WarZ.
WarZ is in another level completly.
Low res textures?? Have you seen WarZ on the highest graphic settings probably not.

WarZ doesnt have objectives? You guys dont know anything about Survival games.
You need to survive! find food, find weapons to defend your self. Find new ways to enter towns
safely and yes if you find a lone wolf you own him and take his goods. Survival of the fittest!
Thats what makes this game one of the best purchased of 2012 for me.
What other games makes your heart beat raise when your entering a shoot out
where you stand to lose everything?

The new WarZ update added a new look to the game. The WarZ world is now
over growned with green like if the city has been left alone for a long period of time.
Not like the bland world of a moded engine that was released 4 years ago.

Game is slightly getting better. I really dislike the new server hopping implementation because i used to server hop to get kills for some instant action now i have to work a little harder and be more cautious to get some action.Hacking is still around but not as bad as before. Game is still good especially for 15 bucks.....what other game gives you think type of play for that price..............

not gonna lie, I haven't played a lick of this game. I just watched the countless gameplay vids of the atrocious half finished game model and wouldn't be caught dead paying a dime

we need a TRUE zombie survival mmo

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

WarZ is in another level completly.

Yeah, the bottom level.

Low res textures?? Have you seen WarZ on the highest graphic settings probably not.

I have, there is no comparison. I've watched multiple video reviews with them running everything at max ultra, and yet every single one of them pointed out how the textures were on the low-res side. To quote one instance:

"GRAPHICS IN GAME:
Now onto the graphics. After looking at all the pictures on the internet and all of the hype over this AAA graphic bullshit. I was tremendously underwellmed by the graphics in WarZ, I went through every option to see what the difference was, and there wasn't much, to say the least. When maxed out on Ultra, it just looked like the basic lowest graphics models with just shit loads of bloom effect. It really wasn't all that great, very disappointed with that. When in game I was looking at all the textures and shader models and I just felt like I was playing WoW, All rock textures look like they were from WoW, the trees were a little better, but that was about it. The Zombie models are decent, however, but they do still look just about as good as the L4D skins, so I am not too amazed by that. In comparison, the DayZ graphical content is a lot better, when you go from lowest graphics to the highest, you do actually see a fundamental difference. The textures all change to a lot better quality textures and the shadows and bloom (I fucking hate bloom by the way) don't make up the difference in the graphics, unlike WarZ. The car skins are very good, the different skins for survivors are very good (well that is if you have all of the DLC for ArmA II of course, but this review is based on the assumption that you do.) The floors, walls, houses, trees, grass and cliff faces are very good. The Zombies in DayZ look like a failed MythBusters Halloween party, though. They are not very good at all, in my opinion."

What other games makes your heart beat raise when your entering a shoot out
where you stand to lose everything?

DayZ.

I never said either game was good or bad. I said one, in my opinion, was clearly better than the other in it's current iteration in terms of it's potential to succeed (and the fact that it is "playable" -- I hardly consider DayZ playable). DayZ as a *mod* can never succeed to the potential that WarZ has as a standalone game with a development team (albeit a BAD development team). I have sky high hopes that the developer of DayZ will take all of these things into account and try to replicate the few good things WarZ has managed to accomplish (namely it's simplicity of the UI and the way zombies interact). If they are able to get away from the crippling effects of a locked down ArmA engine, I think it will be successful. In that case, I will have no problem dumping WarZ for a much better game. However, if the DayZ standalone game still suffers from many of the issues it currently faces on the ArmA engine, I wouldn't waste a single penny on it.

The issue has nothing to do with an engine. An engine can be changed as much or as little as a developer wants it to be. The VBS engine is probably one of the most sophisticated engines being used today. The real issue that the dayz team ran into with the mod, and the primary motivation for the stand alone game was that to take the mod to another level technically required changes to arma 2 its self and they didnt feel it was their place to close off a game that was designed to be open in the first place.

I dont mean feature wise either. The vast majority of features players wanted could have been implemented in the engines current iteration, I'm speaking purely from a technical aspect.

I realize you probably aren't a programer but please do understand that the engine its self isn't being held back by anything and was designed to be the way it is. The same way the engine dayz stand alone uses is designed to be a dayz engine though it is still obviously based off of the VBS engine. The vast majority of what a "game engine" does are things the player will never notice. The out side issues I believe you are concerned by are, trivial in comparison. This is why it is so essential that we as players do not discount games based on the engines they use.

The truth is both games have a tremendous amount of potential, the sad reality is that neither may ever reach it, but I will say that over the past year the dayz team has shown much more drive than the warz team seems to have.

A year from now who knows maybe they will both be great games, maybe they will both be tremendous disappointments but in my opinion they are currently on opposite ends of that scale.

we need a TRUE zombie survival mmo

Somebody will eventually. War Z, Day Z, The Walking Dead, etc., They are all working and leading their way up to this. At some point some company is going to realize there is a real demand for a true Zombie Apocalpse World MMO and make one. It wouldn't surprise me if it was already secretly in production somewhere. Just a matter of time I'm thinking. War Z and Day Z are just two early and incomplete attempts so far. That doesnt make them bad games per se. Just not quite a full blown MMO as most MMOs go.

Somebody will eventually. War Z, Day Z, The Walking Dead, etc., They are all working and leading their way up to this. At some point some company is going to realize there is a real demand for a true Zombie Apocalpse World MMO and make one. It wouldn't surprise me if it was already secretly in production somewhere. Just a matter of time I'm thinking. War Z and Day Z are just two early and incomplete attempts so far. That doesnt make them bad games per se. Just not quite a full blown MMO as most MMOs go.

No, WarZ is a shitty game because the developers lied about what features were in the game, this of course after they lied about how long the game had been in development.

Then you have the shitty graphics and poor gameplay.

Yeah, the bottom level.

WarZ is far superior.. Too bad you cant see.

I have, there is no comparison. I've watched multiple video reviews with them running everything at max ultra, and yet every single one of them pointed out how the textures were on the low-res side. To quote one instance:

"GRAPHICS IN GAME:
Now onto the graphics. After looking at all the pictures on the internet and all of the hype over this AAA graphic bullshit. I was tremendously underwellmed by the graphics in WarZ, I went through every option to see what the difference was, and there wasn't much, to say the least. When maxed out on Ultra, it just looked like the basic lowest graphics models with just shit loads of bloom effect. It really wasn't all that great, very disappointed with that. When in game I was looking at all the textures and shader models and I just felt like I was playing WoW, All rock textures look like they were from WoW, the trees were a little better, but that was about it. The Zombie models are decent, however, but they do still look just about as good as the L4D skins, so I am not too amazed by that. In comparison, the DayZ graphical content is a lot better, when you go from lowest graphics to the highest, you do actually see a fundamental difference. The textures all change to a lot better quality textures and the shadows and bloom (I fucking hate bloom by the way) don't make up the difference in the graphics, unlike WarZ. The car skins are very good, the different skins for survivors are very good (well that is if you have all of the DLC for ArmA II of course, but this review is based on the assumption that you do.) The floors, walls, houses, trees, grass and cliff faces are very good. The Zombies in DayZ look like a failed MythBusters Halloween party, though. They are not very good at all, in my opinion."

Blah blah blah.. and at the very end.. and I quote "His opinion" LOL

Not with them clunky controls and bland graphics. Your better of DL GTA SA DayZ mod.

Go play your bland DayZ fan boy and stop hating on WarZ.

Ohh for the idiots talking about everything that is missing, Its an Alpha not Vanilla.
The latest update really took this game to next level too.

Ohh for the idiots talking about everything that is missing, Its an Alpha not Vanilla.

War-Z has not been in Alpha since January 1st, it is now considered the "foundation release"

What I dont get is how people are saying War Z graphics are shitty. Now I agree the game is bad due to things not implemented and how the Devs treated people and so on... but bad graphics? I have watched videos that the deves released and what current players have released. I dont see how they are bad? They are certainly not revolutionary but bad? No, I'm not seeing that. Averagely okay by today's standards I'd say. But not bad. I've also watched lots of Day Z game footage and I dont see it being better than War Z either. Kinda bland but not bad. They all look a little faded to me. Averagely okay. I'm hoping they can improve upon this.

I havent played either game but going by just what videos I see being released by the players I'd give the nod to War Z at this point. Speaking strictly of graphics here. Nothing else.

Some of the screens I've seen look decent. But as I said before, I feel that low-res textures and environment models look like shit. That's my opinion. If you cover up shit with shiny special effects like bloom, HDR, DoF, bump mapping, and all you're left with is shiny shit. You can polish a turd, but in the end it's still just a shiny turd.

To say that the graphics suck is an opinion. To say the textures are low res and merely covered up by a ton of bloom and post-processing, compared to most other modern games (and specifically in this instance, Arma2/DayZ) is fact. To say the graphics suck because of the low res assets is an opinion, based on fact.

To be specific, he was talking about his opinion that the DayZ zombies don't look good (and I'd agree.) But yes, in the end, it's his opinion.

Speaking of opinions...

Not with them clunky controls and bland graphics.

You asked what other game could give you that same feeling. I gave a perfect example. Your um, "counterargument" (and I'm being generous using that word) does not disprove my example.

DayZ fan boy

Pot, meet kettle.

Not Alpha, as stated above.

Not with them clunky controls and bland graphics. Your better of DL GTA SA DayZ mod.

Go play your bland DayZ fan boy and stop hating on WarZ.

Seriously quit smoking your god damn crack pipe. Your losing all sense of reality.

Dayz is bland compared to Warz? Because I can drive vehicles, fly planes and helicopers, setup camps in server, more weapons, more map space, better graphics(yes BETTER GRAPHICS), better simulation of physics and guns......yeah dude

I hope they do. If so, I'm buying.

So glad I waited....

I haven't played WarZ, but I can't imagine it being much worse than the incomplete DayZ mod. Granted DayZ is "free" as long as you own the parent games already, otherwise you'll have to spend up to $40 to play it.

The only thing I dislike so much about DayZ is the ridiculous UI. Like seriously, who in the hell invented it? That's the most cumbersome way to control your inventory & interact with the world and other players. You almost need a 300 page manual just to learn how to move things around so you don't lose it.

Entering/exiting buildings. I can not tell you how many times I've been literally stuck on a door and not able to get in or out; this especially becomes an issue when a zombie is hot on my heels. I've died a couple times trying to flee into a building where they are forced to walk, only to get stuck on some imaginary door and not able to get in fast enough.

Here recently, which is might be my system I don't know, but I have this micro stutter/lag that was occurring the last time I played. If I was in a sprint/run literally every like 3rd step I would take my game would freeze for like half a step. It would do this continuously, even if I was walking. Then if I panned left or right quickly everything would turn to blurry tunnel like vision, only nothing was clear in the middle. It would all be blurry until I stopped moving.

For now, I wont be playing DayZ until some kind of major patch comes out that fixes their UI. The other things I could have dealt with, but that UI is just so annoying. I've got a few of my friends into playing it and I literally tell them. Don't worry about surviving at first, just learn how to manage your inventory. Otherwise you'll gonna get a rare item and some how manage to lose it in your inventory and not be able to get it back. So learn to use it, die a bunch, etc... then I'll tell you how to come find us.

they've improved the bugs immensely in dayZ. the inventory system is still jacked, but the doorway bug hasn't been an issue for a looooong time

they've improved the bugs immensely in dayZ. the inventory system is still jacked, but the doorway bug hasn't been an issue for a looooong time

Uh... by a long time are you measuring in seconds so it seems like a lot of time due to the slightly large number? Because just last night I was laying down in a small shed with a front and back door during the day. Zombie started to walk in, so I jumped out and started to run out. Obviously the Zombie seen me and started running towards me, soon as I got to the door, I got caught up and zombie got me, killing me. So was a new version released this morning that addressed it?

The getting stuck in doorways / narrow hallways, and unable to turn around? That has ALWAYS been an issue, unfortunately, and I also doubt it was just fixed because it’s a problem that’s been there for years, even though there have been mods out there that fix it for nearly as long (but unfortunately can’t be run along with DayZ.) It's not really a bug though, it’s just what I would consider a poor design choice. What usually causes it is the gun model. It has a collision mesh so it collides with objects, which is to prevent your gun model (as well as your backpack, or your feet when prone) from clipping through walls and such. Unfortunately, the game does not have a mechanic that automatically lowers or moves your weapon out of the way like some other games do.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to turn around. I was trying to run though the door to the outside, so I can run into a different building that's bigger/longer to lose the zombie hot on my heels. I had no weapon out, otherwise I would have tried to defend myself. All I had was a hatchet, but it was on my toolbelt, not in my hand. I find using the hatchet to kill zombies (even indoors) usually results in you getting severely damaged. Sometimes I can hit them from 4 - 5 ft away from me, other times they can literally be hitting me and I can't seem to kill them. It's almost as if it's lag that causes it, but the server I play on I ping between 50 - 80ms.

I've only been playing the game since the first week of Jan. 2013, so I don't have all that much time in the game though the time I do have in the game I found it to be extremely buggy most of the time. Usually when going in/out buildings, trying to fill my bottle with water (sometimes it's an extremely long delay), climbing ladders (I can climb a ladder with a broken bone, but I can't walk... lol), and trying to crawl/prone into a building and up flights of stairs is almost nearly impossible as I found out when I had a broken bone.. yet I went outside and climbed the ladder to the top. Weird.

Overall the game has huge potential, but the control and UI of the game is terrible.

What I think I would rather see if the realism of Day Z but the control/movement of like Skyrim. In fact, a modern Skyrim with zombies would be awesome.

Uh... by a long time are you measuring in seconds so it seems like a lot of time due to the slightly large number? Because just last night I was laying down in a small shed with a front and back door during the day. Zombie started to walk in, so I jumped out and started to run out. Obviously the Zombie seen me and started running towards me, soon as I got to the door, I got caught up and zombie got me, killing me. So was a new version released this morning that addressed it?

This doesn't happen in vanilla Chernarus. The only time I have had/seen/been reported this issue is on 3rd party player made maps. Some of the buildings were constructed poorly and as a result you will get stuck in doorways, get stuck inside buildings and can also fall off them randomly.

And to that guy up there.....pass me some of what you are smoking......that must be some really good shit.

I haven't played any of the other maps. This happened in Chernarus, just North of Cherno.

Did the doorway have a ramp or stairs that prevented you from running, or did you straight up get stuck?

No ramp or stairs, the building was on the ground.

I didn't straight up get stuck, just got hung up on the door way long enough for the zombie to get to me by the time I made it outside he was close enough to lay down a lethal shot that killed me. I was already nearly dead with blinking food icon and my screen was shaking already, blood was red as well. I was waiting on my buddy to get to me (He was in the same little area searching a different building) so he could take one of my blood packs and give me a blood fusion.

Needless to say, I pretty much rage quit when I got killed. Not that I had been alive so long, but I had a good bit of useful equipment already. (Knife, compass, map, etc..) just didn't have any food or a firearm. Plenty of ammo though.

As I understand it they are going to improve the inventory for the new Day Z standalone game. I recently watched a youtube video interview and that was mentioned as one of the things that they plan on fixing.

If they improve the inventory menu system, how to get things out of your backpack and how to use the items in your active inventory it will be a much, much better game.

Additionally, if they can improve on the controls of the game that would be a huge improvement. I find it usually rather troublesome to move, this is especially apparent when in the prone position indoors. While I understand it's the collision of your legs as you move around, IRL you'll bend your knees, spread them, etc... Also the movement to me doesn't seem very smooth. Especially when running around objects. Walking in/out tight spaces like doorways.

I've been playing for the last 3 months and haven't gotten totally stuck in a doorway. maybe when I go in sideways, I get a little push back.

you're doing it wrong?

I've been playing for the last 3 months and haven't gotten totally stuck in a doorway. maybe when I go in sideways, I get a little push back.

you're doing it wrong?

Ive only been totally stuck in doorways while in the prone position. Standing up i only get hung up in doorways sometimes.

Skillz said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pringle

you're doing it wrong?

Ive only been totally stuck in doorways while in the prone position. Standing up i only get hung up in doorways sometimes.

ahhhhh I got ya. yeah that'll do it. good thing is, your visibility meter will act like you're inside the building as soon as you hug the wall. so you shouldn't be spotted by zombies if you stand. but crouching seems to make you into a fat bastard

Yeah, crouching increases the size of your collision mesh. This is painfully obvious when you're inside apartment buildings in the stairwells because you can't even turn around on the middle of the stairs.

Back