The VR Training Sector Is a Rapidly Growing Industry

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The VR training industry is bustling with growth as more companies use the headsets to train employees about safety procedures on the job. According to statistics, 713 workers fell to their deaths in workplace accidents in 2017. Workplace injuries cost employers $150 billion every year. By using VR training, employees in the construction industry can make mistakes and fall off buildings thousands of feet high and not get hurt. They can learn from their mistakes and become safer workers without leaving the training room.

A study found students have 30% better knowledge retention 2 weeks after learning with VR when compared to traditional learning methods. Companies use Microsoft HoloLens to train employees to work on a virtual jet engine while the model is running. Microsoft signed a two year, $480 million U.S. Army contract to supply Microsoft HoloLens headsets for use in combat missions and training. Other companies like Pixo VR are abandoning VR game development for VR training development opportunities. Analysts estimate that headset sales for the VR training sector will reach $2.2 billion by 2022.

According to National Safety Council VP of Communications & Advocacy Kelly Nantel, "Essentially 14 people everyday leave their homes for work and don't come home. This is absolutely unacceptable and there are things that we can do about it. Technology like AR and VR are really going to engineer the human error out the these equations, but we've got to start to really do the research to understand what's working and what just has potential, so that we can give employers the best resources available to help make their workers safer."

Microsoft Mixed Reality Director of Communications Greg Sullivan says, "There's a whole bunch of research that shows that if you are a human and you interact with something in 3 dimensions, as opposed to just looking at it on a piece of paper, you understand it much more profoundly and fundamentally. It's just the way that our brains are wired."

Good news for the AR and VR industries. I would think other type of endeavors will also start using AR/VR, sports from UFC to football to car racing. Education from grade school and up.

I just wonder if eventually it will replace TV’s, computer monitors to driving with a much better view with AI assist.

Used a VR pod once. Actually felt nauseous from the roller coaster simulation. I don't even get nauseous on actual roller coasters. If I got training with one of those, I wouldn't be forgetting it.

Heh, until there's an affordable 4k per-eye display, an omnidirection running pad, and a full body suit of senses from which is impossible to die from.. Well shoot, I guess it's just never gonna happen.

"...employees in the construction industry can make mistakes and fall off buildings thousands of feet high and not get hurt."

Sure. But wait until they fall off a tall building tens of thousands of feet high while waiting for the space elevator to bring up the radiation shielding for the executive suite.

Back