The very best motherboard for Core 2

Hello123 said:
Hello

My system will be used for High Definition video editing so i want something that is going to be good

also i want a board if possible where i can put 2 x core to chips in it

According to the Videoguys suggested config, an Asus P5W DH + E6700 seems the way to go. I don't think there dual-cpu mobos for Core 2 Duo yet, or at least I couldn't find any.

My search is also for an HD editing combo, and I think above's might be the way to go. I have read good things about the P5W DH in this Forum.

My main concern is temperature and whether to go for the E6700 or settle for the E6600.

One thing about temperatures that confuses me are these Core Temp temperatures, which seem to be higher than those reported by the usual tools. So which is the best non-water method to cool these CPUs?

Will the E6700 make a real difference (in render time) over the E6600?

The best ever is going to be ASUS's 3rd or 4th refresh right at then end of C2D, right before C3D, like ASUS always does. I mean, why release a good product the first time? :rolleyes:

Right now, the best is by far the Abit AW9D. It's hitting over 400 FSB at stock cooling and voltage on the mobo, and it has the best onboard audio of all the boards.

For the absolute best get one of the ASUS WS baords. The P5WDG2 WS Pro is hitting 470fsb out of the box and the P5W64 seems to be just as good.

I need at least three PCI sockets (two for 1394 interfaces and one for Echo MIA soundboard) and two PATA IDE interfaces.

Only the P5W DH seems to provide both.

I've been thinking about either going with the 6400 or 6600. I was looking at the DS3. Would you guys recommend this board, even if i went with the 6600? I dont want to spend a crapload so $150-200 on the mobo is about all I want to go.

Soodey said:
I've been thinking about either going with the 6400 or 6600. I was looking at the DS3. Would you guys recommend this board, even if i went with the 6600? I dont want to spend a crapload so $150-200 on the mobo is about all I want to go.

I have a DS3 and a E6600. It's ok, and for the price, it's good. I'll probably end up with a P5W DH eventually though.

the DS3 is a great board on a budget, and the MSI 975X has potential also I think.. but the P5WDH seems to me to still be the best board.. until Abit gets a decent bios out for the AW9D-Max.. but the max still has some layout issues.. Anyways, between the P5W and P5B Asus seems to have their teeth sunk firmly into the core2 scene.. :)

Soodey said:
whats the max fsb most people have been getting with the DS3

I am currently running my DS3 at 425FSB. Resulting in a ram freq of 850. I only have 667 ram, so I'm happy with the overclock so far. I may be able to push it much further with better ram. I have the e6300 @2.98GHz.

Lyquist

Soodey said:

The fact of the DS3 having video on-board looks like a serious limitation IMHO. But it all depends on your application.

carlmart said:
The fact of the DS3 having video on-board looks like a serious limitation IMHO. But it all depends on your application.

The DS3 does not have onboard video. You have to buy a seperate card. I know because I'm currently running one.

Lyquist

Lyquist said:
The DS3 does not have onboard video. You have to buy a seperate card. I know because I'm currently running one.

Lyquist
If he needs onboard gfx the DS3 with the 965G has onboard gfx.

Cpt Twitchy said:
If anyone does needs onboard gfx the DS3 with the 965G has onboard gfx.

Sorry, my mistake then. I thought the DS3 you were talking about was the GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3. Which is it then?

I have a Gigabyte 945P-S3 mobo, it's not the best but comes with everything you need for about 100.00 bucks.

Just FYI, not that anyone would go for it. :D

carlmart said:
Sorry, my mistake then. I thought the DS3 you were talking about was the GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3. Which is it then?

Yes, now I did another search at Newegg. The right model should be 965P, which has no video on board.

It looks nice and it's not expensive.

I'm real happy with the GB DQ6. I have a week 26 6400 and 2 GB of Crucial Ballistic DDR2 800. I've played around with it and can run ORTHOS stable at 8x400 at 1.45 V and 7x450 at 1.325 V. I've had it up to 8x450 but it is not stable with ORTHOS. And 7x475 is also not stable unless I really pump up the voltage and the temperature.

I cool with a Big Typhoon that I attached after removing the backplate on the motherboard. I also removed the silly metal covers on the heatpipe assembly which lowered the board temp a degree or two. Speedfan reports CPU at 48C and board at 40C under ORTHOS. I used AS5 to attach the CPU heatsink.

I am new to this and don't have screenshots, but do have CPU-Z validations if you want to see them. I got the DQ6 for $220 at newegg and the processor and ram at ZZF.

Back